Most memorable resident interview stories

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guytakingboards

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a spin-off of the "most common interview mistakes" thread. I'm wondering what are people's most memorable and/or notorious stories from their time interviewing. This is obviously directed at the program side, not the applicant side.

Most memorable personal statement: Guy training in a relatively rural med school opens his PS with something to the effect of "everyday I wake up, look outside my window at the vast tracts of farm land and formulate a plan to get the hell out of here". He showed up to the pre-dinner in shorts and a t-shirt and proceeded to get drunk. Impeccable grades and scores though...

Most 'are you an idiot?' conversation topic: as mentioned in the other thread, applicant tells me he's looked up my chairman's CV and thinks she's not qualified for the job.

Let's hear some stories!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Back in the day, I was asked to interpret 3 Norman Rockwell painting , gotta love Psych!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
When I was making the rounds during interview season the pre-interview dinner was just me paired up with two residents and their wives. Everything was going well and one of the wives was telling a funny story about something that happened to her and her husband:

Her: ....he was laughing so hard he was crying with real tears!
Him: I wasn't crying.
Her: Yes you were, you were laughing so hard.
Him: I WASN'T CRYING!
Her: Honey I'm just saying you were laughing that hard.
Him: I WASN'T CRYING, WILL YOU JUST DROP IT??
Her: Honey....

Awkward silence...

More awkward silence....

Finally the other wife pipes up and changes the subject, but the rest of the dinner was just way off and never got better. Pretty sure everyone was ready to call it a night after that. Mostly me.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
This one is from the resident side of it where I was completely turned off to a program by the program director.

His whole presentation seemed apathetic and lackadaisical. During the interview, he only had 2 questions for me and the rest was me asking questions. I asked what set his program apart, and he told me he used to tell some applicants not to come to this program, but now he doesn’t tell them that. I can’t remember if he said anything that set his program apart, I was thrown off by that point.

And then when I asked why he chose to be at that program and his job, he said if I asked him that 5-10 years before, he never would have imagined being in his position, but now he’s just too tired to leave or do anything different. And that the best part of his job was that he was surrounded by a lot of smart people in the area, not just in his specialty.

I ranked them at the bottom of my list, and I’m pretty sure he was gone within 1-2 years.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Oh boy, I have several.

First was an IM interview I went to where one of the other interviewees showed up in a full tuxedo, including cummerbund, bow tie, etc. He looked ridiculous and the residents directing the day could not stop snickering and giggling about it.

Second was a rheumatology fellowship interview, which was the single worst interview experience I’ve ever had (and the only interview where I seriously considered leaving partway through). The rheum department at this institution was in some ancient, decrepit building whose paint was literally peeling off the walls. The PD was a total douche and started viciously arguing with a research fellow who was trying to give a presentation early in the day. When I interviewed with the PD, he aggressively pimped me about some obscure rheum research that I’d never heard of before (and still haven’t heard much about to this day, despite being a rheumatologist trained at a very good institution). The fellows openly talked about how overworked they were, how much the PD sucked, how much they hated their lives, and how they were just putting one foot in front of the other to get through the 2 years. Just awful.

Third: another IM interview where the culture of the department basically resembled that of a frat house. At the interview dinner, the chiefs got buzzed and one started telling a series of really raunchy, nasty jokes. Things got really awkward. The female applicant to my left turned bright red. The rest of the interview didn’t go much better than that.

Fourth: another rheumatology interview…this was a huge program that covered 3 different hospitals. For whatever reason, the program leadership decided to start the interview at one hospital and then have everyone drive over to another hospital around lunchtime to continue interviews there. “Don’t worry - just valet your car when you get to the other hospital, we’ll cover it…and we’ll meet you in the lobby.” Despite jumping in my car and driving immediately to the other hospital, I was greeted with a very long valet line that went down the street. By the time my car was valeted, the interview cohort had already left, and I had no idea where they went at this other hospital. I spent the next hour standing in the lobby calling, texting, and even emailing anyone I could think of at the institution…finally a random person came down from the rheum department and was like “oh there you are!” Apparently they had no idea they were missing a candidate. I ranked that program low, and heard from some friends later who matched there that it was just as disorganized and chaotic as that interview day was.

Fifth: another rheumatology interview, this time at a “prestigious” institution you all would recognize. Everyone is chilling in the lobby of this hospital, just waiting for all interviewees to arrive…suddenly this rather obese guy comes running up, looking a bit like Chris Farley in the “Van down by the river” SNL skit - very ill fitting sport coat, tight khakis that ride halfway up his shins, penny loafers, and a huge briefcase. He hadn’t shaved, and his hair was combed back in some sort of greasy looking mullet-like mess. Everyone else kinda looks at this guy, like “wtf is this”, thinking he’s a random visitor to the hospital or something. He sits down and proceeds to tell everyone that he’s being interviewed that day - he’s actually a medicine resident from the home institution, they know him super well already and he “has it in the bag”, so apparently he wasn’t worried about putting in much effort. Great attitude, bro!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Oh boy, I have several.

First was an IM interview I went to where one of the other interviewees showed up in a full tuxedo, including cummerbund, bow tie, etc. He looked ridiculous and the residents directing the day could not stop snickering and giggling about it.
This had to have been at @gyngyn 's school!

Reactions: 1 user
Nothing ultra memorable. Had one prospective resident I interviewed who, it turns out, told pretty much every interviewer about her trauma history, started crying in every interview, etc.

Poorly managed mental health issues and poor boundaries are a red flag anywhere and especially in psychiatry... Felt bad for her, she seemed like a nice person otherwise.

Our residency program used a 1-100 rating scale for interviewers to score the candidates. The idea was you were supposed to rank them approximately where you think they'd fall on our rank list (assuming our rank list is around 100 people.) Interviewer ratings were then made into a weighted average score, which was like 50% of the score that determined your initial position on our rank list. The APD and PD had particularly heavy weighting on that weighted average.

The APD basically ranked people 1 or 100. She either loved people or thought they were boring/disinteresting/"had no spark" and tanked their ranking within our program. Because everyone else was pretty reasonable on how they ranked people, she ended up having an outsized effect on our initial rank list each year. Top half = people she liked. Bottom half = people she didn't.

I think it was the only real power she had in the system, never heard much about/from her otherwise.

One of my buddy did his IR fellowship at a NYC program. Usually fellows are done by 6/30. But that year for some reason they couldn’t find a resident to take call that weekend, so he had to take call.

Only problem: fellow housing was done by 6/30. Dude had to air bnb it to take call. His APD promised air bnb reimbursement.

It never came.

He worked until 10:50pm on 6/30. He joked with the attending that continued procedure past midnight would be criminal assault because by then his contract ran out and thats why they let him out.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users
One of my buddy did his IR fellowship at a NYC program. Usually fellows are done by 6/30. But that year for some reason they couldn’t find a resident to take call that weekend, so he had to take call.

Only problem: fellow housing was done by 6/30. Dude had to air bnb it to take call. His APD promised air bnb reimbursement.

It never came.

He worked until 10:50pm on 6/30. He joked with the attending that continued procedure past midnight would be criminal assault because by then his contract ran out and thats why they let him out.
That’s garbage. Yikes.

When I got to the end of IM residency, I somehow wasn’t able to use any remaining days off (on a derm rotation, of all things 🙄)…fortunately I was able to have my dad and brother load a moving truck for me the day before and of. Basically I got out of the derm rotation that day, finished loading whatever, got in the truck with my dad and bro in tow, drove till 10pm at the new apartment, unloaded the truck till 2am, and showed up for fellowship orientation at 7am in the new city. Gotta love it! Not sure why we can’t make that process easier on trainees somehow…

That’s garbage. Yikes.

When I got to the end of IM residency, I somehow wasn’t able to use any remaining days off (on a derm rotation, of all things 🙄)…fortunately I was able to have my dad and brother load a moving truck for me the day before and of. Basically I got out of the derm rotation that day, finished loading whatever, got in the truck with my dad and bro in tow, drove till 10pm at the new apartment, unloaded the truck till 2am, and showed up for fellowship orientation at 7am in the new city. Gotta love it! Not sure why we can’t make that process easier on trainees somehow…
My residency program starts interns 2 weeks “early” and lets the seniors out 2 weeks “early” to avoid this problem.

Reactions: 3 users
My residency program starts interns 2 weeks “early” and lets the seniors out 2 weeks “early” to avoid this problem.
Yeah, that’s really the way it should happen.

My understanding is that many residents in my class quietly “worked something out” with their attendings on that last rotation to be able to check out early to move, but my derm attendings that rotation weren’t willing to do so.

My favorite story while interviewing was at a program that had a relatively intense interview day. Lots of applicants, each got 3 interviews, including one with the program director. They had the schedule all worked out ahead of time to keep things moving and it was reasonably efficient, but much of the day was the applicants sitting in a hot room trying to make small talk amongst each other. Residents came for lunch, there was a tour at some point.

My first interviews go fine, everyone keeps coming back from their interview with the PD talking about how awesome, nice, smart he was. Made me feel good and ready to go. However, when it came to my turn, I had to stand in the hallway for 15 minutes after the scheduled start of the interview (total time allotted was 30 minutes). I was looking at some generic academic research poster and he came out to get me, clearly over everything that day.

The interview was a rapid-fire series of very direct questions and very blunt answers. Included things like MCAT, Step scores, etc. The whole interview lasted maybe 7 minutes and ended with him saying "You'll do fine, best of luck." It was extremely refreshing after having so many interviews that required smiling face, endless small talk, weird behavioral questions, and all the usual fluff to just sit down and get to business.

I matched elsewhere thankfully but that interview was a true highlight.

It never came.

I had that in fellowship.
Worked CrossCover for IM department at nights for extra $.
Fellowship & hence privileges done at 0001 on 7/1, but was working till 7 am.

Got it in writing from 3 different people before I agreed to stay.

For any potential residents (current med students) reading this, plan first 2 interviews at “safe” spots to get in the groove of things and work out the kinks.

Middle portion should be your top spots.

Then (if still flying around for interviews), have the last few be your “reaches” since you may run out of $.

For any potential residents (current med students) reading this, plan first 2 interviews at “safe” spots to get in the groove of things and work out the kinks.

Middle portion should be your top spots.

Then (if still flying around for interviews), have the last few be your “reaches” since you may run out of $.
Agreed.

I always felt like my best interviews were the ones in the middle, after I had “warmed up” and before I started to burn out on doing them. I did 19 interviews for IM residency and that was exhausting. Turns out I didn’t need to do that many.