Worst med school locations (revised)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Which med school has the worst LOCATION?

• UMDNJ-Newark

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • Temple

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Wayne State

Votes: 24 15.3%
  • Penn State

Votes: 16 10.2%
  • UCLA/Drew

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • UC Davis

• SUNY Downstate

• Johns Hopkins

Votes: 34 21.7%

• Total voters

asama527

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After some suggestions, I've made some revisions in this list. If you have any schools that you think aren't on the list, let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

The schools are not bad at all, but the humidity in Houston is dreadful. Plus, the land in which they built the TMC is on top of an "old swamp" area. This caused the major flood problems I think ~three summers ago.

I think Davis is in a wonderful neighborhood.....

Ideal for studying - quiet.
Close to Berkeley, San Francisco, San Jose, Sacramento, Lake Tahoe...

Quaint little downtown...
And no...it does not smell like cows.
Much better traffic condition compared to LA.

and many more...

Members don't see this ad :)
jlee:

I heard about the cows! I've never been there but that's the only reason it's on the list. Oh well too late for it to NOT be on there.

haha its cool....

understandable misconception...;)

people on the boards always used to seem to say that Finch was in the worst location - that alone should warrant it being on this list.

and to back up jlee, my bor went to davis for undergrad and i actually liked it. nice and quaint like he said with a decent centralized location whether or not the school itself seems like its in the middle of nowhere. even then, the rest of teh davis community is nice.

I'll put Finch up on the next "edition" if someone else seconds the motion. Is Newark really worse than Temple? I mean Newark is the car theft capital of America but at least you don't have to wear a bulletproof jacket--or am I somehow misinformed?

I agree, Davis is a good area for a med school because the distractions (San Fran etc.) are far enough to be minimal yet close enough to be reachable.

davis isn't close enough to san francisco. It takes at least an hour to get there maybe more. Two hours roundrtip makes it an ordeal to get there. YOu can't just stop by the city you have to plan.

Originally posted by MErc44
davis isn't close enough to san francisco. It takes at least an hour to get there maybe more. Two hours roundrtip makes it an ordeal to get there. YOu can't just stop by the city you have to plan.

true....but i dont mind the drive.
i randomly make the 6 hour drive up to the bay area from LA every couple weeks just cause i want to hang in the area up there.

plus its like living in OC and going to LA. its just as bad with all the traffic. 2 hours roundtrip is a blessing :)

Yeah, I agree that Davis is a great location. I love how much cheaper the rent is there than other UC locations. I also love how close it is to Tahoe (ok, not that close: 90min but closer than the bay area)-because boarding would be a lot more conveniant. And the town is definately cute. When I told people that I was applying to Davis, they were like, "Why would anyone want to live there, it's so boring." But, in reality, we're going to be very busy with med school, and on the weekends you could go to Sacramento & San Francisco. It might be nice to be out of the commotion while studying. And like I said, it would be nice to have more room in an apartment because the rent is cheaper, and maybe even some backyard (my friend who went to UC Davis for undergrad had a backyard and I was soooo excited), because I have a dog that I want to bring with me to med school, Regie.

Also, most people don't know this about Cali, but the SF bay area, isn't geographically N. Cali, it's more like central cali. There is a whole other half to the state that is absolutely beautiful (both my parents live there) with lakes and mountains. If you like the outdoors, Davis is a good place to be, because it kinda marks the beginning of this territory. Also, Sac river is good for river rafting.

Yeah Davis definately gets my vote. Although I do have to say that it does smell like cows when you first get there, you just get used to it. My cousin who went there used to say it didn't when he was there, but one time we left and went back, and he was like, "oh yeah, it does smell like cows."

Originally posted by Quagmire, M.D.
people on the boards always used to seem to say that Finch was in the worst location - that alone should warrant it being on this list.

For a Chicagoan, the commute would be a little excessive, but plenty of people like the suburban/rural setting that such schools have to offer. Plus, it's just over an hour into downtown, so you can still enjoy the nightlife and the fun stuff the city has to offer. Housing is cheap too.

Originally posted by asama527
I'll put Finch up on the next "edition" if someone else seconds the motion. Is Newark really worse than Temple? I mean Newark is the car theft capital of America but at least you don't have to wear a bulletproof jacket--or am I somehow misinformed?

Newark has a bad rep, but it's really not a bad of a place to go to school.. I finished a master's there, and will be starting at njms in the fall... I've never had any problems or safety concerns in the city--and my car is still in fine shape.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is Johns Hopkins in the worst location? I thought it was in Baltimore which doesn't seem to shabby to me? Please enlighten me!

I don't know why my school is on this list.

Once and for all, IT DOES NOT SMELL LIKE COWS. This is a little lie that Southern Californians (some of them :) ) like to spread. I'm here right now, walked outside, and it smells like nothing. If anything, you smell the sweet smell of Northern California, without the smell of carbon monoxide and combusted gasoline like in other areas...

Just keep hating on the school. Perhaps if you actually did a little research, you'd realize what a special place this little town is.

Also, the med school won't be in Davis for too much longer. By 2007, all the med students will be at the UCD med center in Sacramento. The hospital and 3rd and 4th years are already there, so its going to be cool to have us all together. Of course, I'll already have my MD, but its good for future students. :D

Originally posted by UCSBPre-Med1

Once and for all, IT DOES NOT SMELL LIKE COWS. This is a little lie that Southern Californians (some of them :) ) like to spread. I'm here right now, walked outside, and it smells like nothing. If anything, you smell the sweet smell of Northern California, without the smell of carbon monoxide and combusted gasoline like in other areas...

Just keep hating on the school. Perhaps if you actually did a little research, you'd realize what a special place this little town is.

Also, the med school won't be in Davis for too much longer. By 2007, all the med students will be at the UCD med center in Sacramento. The hospital and 3rd and 4th years are already there, so its going to be cool to have us all together. Of course, I'll already have my MD, but its good for future students. :D
word yo. this place is actually pretty alright. and anyone who thinks an hour drive is long is crazy or doesn't live in CA. This isn't LA, SF, or NY but its not a ghost town either. theres tons to do if you don't mind putting a little effort to it, plus the people at the med school are amazing. Hopefully next years class is the same. I was really eager to get out of here during undergrad, but now I've really grown used to the place and I think I may even stay here 3rd and 4th year. my only complaint is that we need more bars.
oh, and it does smell like cows when you're standing by the cows. other than that its peoples imaginations.

Okay okay, I'll get rid of Davis in the next edition provided not too many people vote for it.

Originally posted by asama527
Okay okay, I'll get rid of Davis in the next edition provided not too many people vote for it.
nah, I don't think Davis should be anywhere near this list, but dude you should leave it if you want to. people on here seem to have a bias against it, but i just don't think that people that really know it to consider it to be that bad. I think this has given a chance for people to kind of kill that myth a bit. Until SP gets here and talks alotta **** about it because they email rejections.

right on man.....
hey when i interviewed there.... i asked Ed about the campus moving thing and he said that it would not happen during "my medical time" at davis....but he said that they would break ground at 2007. but the actual move to sacramento would be a few years after that.

did i misunderstand?

I did my undergrad at the U of C - and I can tell you,while there are some who like the excitement of being in an oasis right in the middle of a not-so-great area, there are many who don't. Imho, I second the motion that Finch defnitely belongs in this list

Okay then. So Finch goes up on the next edition. By the way, does anyone know how to edit polls once they've been posted?

can people pls post why each one of the schools listed gets consideration for worst location. Enough on UCDavis but what about wayne state, temple, john hopkin?? I am considering some of the ones listed but have never nor the money to go visit before appling.....

thx.

Temple's in North Philly. It feels like someone's going to shoot you if you look at them the wrong way.

yikes....I can afford a stethoscope, bullet proof jacket and a pair of dark sunglasses if i get in temple.:D

Canal St. behind tulane isn't that good either. Someone tried to start a fight with me while walking on it. I guess since I was the only white guy with blonde hair and blue eyes didn't sit well with them. The next day my interviewer told me that I should watch out for that street. D'oh. Anyway, coming from Marin county in northern cali and going to UCSB doesn't prepare you for the world.

Penn State...hands down. I'd rather dodge bullets than get bored to death. There are no colleges in the area, so the only people you interact with who are your age are the people from your class, and that gets old real quick. The place is ultra conservative (central PA). There are no real bars in the area at all, except for ones inhabited by bikers and townies without teeth. Not a decent mall nearby, you gotta drive to King of Prussia. No really good resteraunts, unless you want to dive into greasy central pa dutch cooking, which is why central PA is so fat. Plus, alot of people in the class go away for weekends/holidays, since a big chunk of the class lives in PA, so if you're stuck there during a 3 day weekend or something, you might as well prepare yourself for a weekend of cow tipping or shopping for antiques amongst the amish. Good news is that it's a great study enviornment, with very few distractions, and the people are genuinely friendly...except for the gunners, but even they fake being friendly :D

At least with Downstate you are only about a 40min subway ride from Manhattan and all that it offers.Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights are closer and are very interesting neighborhoods.