Which med schools are located in the worst locations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

souvlaki

Reaction score
Whether it’s in the middle of wasteland nowhere or murdertown USA, which med schools do you all think have the worst locations?

Members don't see this ad.

When I visited Yale for a post-doc position interview, it was an armed camp Every security guard was packing iron.

When I visited U Chicago many years ago to visit a friend on the faculty, I was shocked to see that it was an island in the middle of the worst slums in the US.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
When I visited Yale for a post-doc position interview, it was an armed camp Every security guard was packing iron.

When I visited U Chicago many years ago to visit a friend on the faculty, I was shocked to see that it was an island in the middle of the worst slums in the US.
New haven is dangerous? Didn’t realize it was that bad in CT.

I agree with UChicago. Had an aunt who lived near Hyde park and had her car broken into multiple times and her townhouse was burglarized. The campus looks really nice, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can get quite good training in hospitals operating in Murdertown, USA.

Reactions: 5 users
Many urban hospitals in major cities (NY, Philly, DC) are located in not the best neighborhoods because they're meant to serve these communities that have more violence/issues. I've heard that Temple is not located in the best neighborhood.

Many urban hospitals in major cities (NY, Philly, DC) are located in not the best neighborhoods because they're meant to serve these communities that have more violence/issues. I've heard that Temple is not located in the best neighborhood.
This is definitely true, to an extent, but you get a lot of hyperbole from medical students about how bad a neighborhood is when really it's just black people living (heard lots of 'bad things' about the area near the school I lived, turns out violent crime rates were actually lower than where most of the students lived it was just this area was predominantly non-white)

Reactions: 18 users
Depends on lots of things. Rosalind Franklin is in a very rural,area, 13 miles from the Wisconsin state line. I’m sure it’s safe but it’s far from Chicago and there are some sketchy areas around the school. Loyola is in Maywood. Just a terrible suburb of Chicago but there are lots of great places very close by and I never felt unsafe driving to or from Loyola. Rush and UIC are in a tough part of Chicago but the area is gentrifying. UChicago is gorgeous. It’s a little dicey getting in from the west but the areas are gentrifying quickly. Lots of restaurants etc. Northwestern is in a wonderful part of Chicago. Probably not much crime but who knows. The key to living anywhere in Chicago(and most likely every major city) is to be alert , pay attention , be smart. I’ve lived in Chicago most of my life and I can honestly say I’m not afraid anywhere in Chicago. Now my sister…

Northwestern literally has a disclaimer in their secondary telling you about their campus murder rate or something.

Others off the top of my head:
Wayne State/OUWB are in Detroit
Albert Einstein is in the Bronx
WashU/SLU are in St. Louis

• Dislike
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
New haven is dangerous? Didn’t realize it was that bad in CT.

I agree with UChicago. Had an aunt who lived near Hyde park and had her car broken into multiple times and her townhouse was burglarized. The campus looks really nice, though.

It's hard to find a city more dangerous than New Haven. I love the place, but be on your guard at night

• Okay...
This is definitely true, to an extent, but you get a lot of hyperbole from medical students about how bad a neighborhood is when really it's just black people living (heard lots of 'bad things' about the area near the school I lived, turns out violent crime rates were actually lower than where most of the students lived it was just this area was predominantly non-white)
I wholeheartedly agree.

Every school is required by federal law to publish the crime statistics for their campus and crimes committed against students in the general area (or something like that). Check it out. You may, as stated above, be equating neighborhoods with BPOC residents as unsafe which is not accurate.

• Care
Reactions: 8 users

It's hard to find a city more dangerous than New Haven. I love the place, but be on your guard at night
Camden NJ and Youngstown OH would probably qualify on a murder per capita rate. JHU would be one, as Baltimore is # 2 murder rate per capita behind St Louis who is #1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Camden NJ and Youngstown OH would probably qualify on a murder per capita rate. JHU would be one, as Baltimore is # 2 murder rate per capita behind St Louis who is #1.
I phrased that incorrectly- it was meant to say it is hard to find many cities more dangerous than New Haven. It certainly isn't the most dangerous city, but it's in the top 50 and was number 4 when I used to work there in the early 2010s. Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore, St. Louis, and several other cities have gotten worse while New Haven has made some improvements over the years. It's still got a homicide rate of 17 per 100,000 so far this year, but will probably end up somewhere near 24 per 100,000 by the end of the year, which is quite concerning but not Detroit.

YNHH recently lost someone to the escalating violence in the city, things have really started to get bad again recently

• Wow
  • Dislike
I phrased that incorrectly- it was meant to say it is hard to find many cities more dangerous than New Haven. It certainly isn't the most dangerous city, but it's in the top 50 and was number 4 when I used to work there in the early 2010s. Detroit, Oakland, Baltimore, St. Louis, and several other cities have gotten worse while New Haven has made some improvements over the years. It's still got a homicide rate of 17 per 100,000 so far this year, but will probably end up somewhere near 24 per 100,000 by the end of the year, which is quite concerning but not Detroit.

YNHH recently lost someone to the escalating violence in the city, things have really started to get bad again recently
I looked up the cities with highest murder per capita. I figured Miami would be one, but wasn't in the top 25. Jackson Memorial in Miami used to be a real knife and gun club.

Reactions: 1 users
I looked up the cities with highest murder per capita. I figured Miami would be one, but wasn't in the top 25. Jackson Memorial in Miami used to be a real knife and gun club.
Back when it was still the U

Now losing home games to Virginia.

• Haha
You can get quite good training in hospitals operating in Murdertown, USA.
The best training is where we can learn to practice on patients who are vulnerable and have no other choice: " medical training relies disproportionately on the use of poor communities and communities of color." and "Trainees also benefit directly from the denial of comprehensive care to large swaths of American society,"

Idk how true this is but: "In his book, The Social Transformation of American Medicine, the historian Paul Starr describes how American teaching hospitals were deliberately built in centers of urban poverty so that students would have access to poor patients."

I would recommend reading this. The Moral Dilemma of Learning Medicine from the Poor

You could even make the case to look at it from this lens: Nearly 80% of Medical students come from the top 2 income quintiles, These student then benefit by gaining knowledge and skills by practicing on overwhelmingly poor patients who have no other options. Then these students overwhelmingly go on to use what they have learned to not practice in and benefit underserved areas.

Last edited:
  • Sad
^^

Tbh I’ve noticed a lot of these threads tend to descend into racist/classist stereotypes of certain cities that face the same problems any urban area would face in terms of crime rates. People will disparage cities like New Haven after a brief visit there, not realizing that people live whole lives there with no issue.

Maybe don’t go into medicine if you’re so afraid of working with lower income communities of color?
I don't think the fact that some people live there their whole lives without incident, provides comforts to anyone. I think the fact that some cities have elevated crime statistics and that the student/ trainee is uncomfortable accepting the possibility of becoming one of those statistics, is why some are hesitant to attend certain schools. I consider this a logical consideration.

• Love
I would note that relatively speaking, New Haven is a very small city of 130,000 spread over less than 19 square miles. If you were to include the adjacent cities of West Haven, North Haven and East Haven, perhaps the crime rate would drop.

St. Louis is a similar situation as the city is technically cut off from its suburban areas such that the crime statistics exclude the safer areas immediately adjacent to the city itself.

Big cities that are a mix of "inner city" poverty and more middle class areas would, I think, have lower crime rates

Reactions: 1 user
JH worse than WashU imo, WashU is at least flanked by some nicer areas to live (central west end especially). JH is smack in the middle of east baltimore with nothing but housing projects or low income and largely abandoned rowhome blocks all around. They had to pass legislation to allow creating a university police department right now because of how out of control crime has been getting in the hospital campus area

• Wow
JH worse than WashU imo, WashU is at least flanked by some nicer areas to live (central west end especially). JH is smack in the middle of east baltimore with nothing but housing projects or low income and largely abandoned rowhome blocks all around. They had to pass legislation to allow creating a university police department right now because of how out of control crime has been getting in the hospital campus area
Hopkins is by far in a worse area than Yale and WashU.

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
My friend was stabbed and robbed outside Columbia campus. That hospital is in an area I don't want to be. SUNY Downstate, as well...had friends who went there. Hospital staff cars in the lot were broken into frequently. Don't have any experience with other places.

A little off topic, but...

I witnessed a woman being forced into a car across Kingshighway near Forest Park. I was standing in front of the emergency room building - the southwest tower - and she was screaming for help across the street. I ran to grab the security officers located inside the emergency room, and their response was, it was off campus. They did nothing to help, yet I see the security officers drive their cars through the neighborhoods throughout the day. Their hands may have been tied, but they were completely apathetic. The woman was taken away in a speeding car, crying for help, and those charged with protecting civilians did nothing, while we bystanders tried to intervene.

I trained in NYC and a somewhat similar (but also different) thing happened there one time. I was at one of the hospitals and leaving early evening. The hospital took up a whole city block. I left through a door onto the sidewalk opposite the side with the ED entrance. There was a guy down on the sidewalk barely responsive (actually not responsive, but still breathing) with a few ppl around him. I bolted over to the ED and went to the front security guard and asked him for a wheel chair or stretcher to get the guy around the hospital block to the entrance to the ED. He told me 'nope' and that I had to call 911. So I went back, called 911 and listened as the ambulance drove around the block.

Totally ridiculous but that's how things work/happen in our modern messed up society.

To stay on topic, I went to UVA and was mugged one night in one of the neighborhoods right next to the campus. In general, C-ville is an overall spectacular place though.

• Wow
CWE isn't that nice. Sure apartments are expensive and it's mostly occupied by med students/professional students and residents, but the crime is high. Here is the reported crime for the Central West end from last week alone (as reported by WashU security).
It's all relative I promise the projects and abandoned rowhomes around JHH are a lot worse than CWE. Seen both up close.

Cities in the Northwest are notorious for tolerating extremely aggressive panhandling. While other cities at least attempt to crack down on this behavior, it's apparently anything goes in Portland and Seattle. This isn't so much a true safety issue as it is a major nuisance, but it can be very intimidating especially if you're a woman and/or by yourself at night.

Aggressive panhandling happens constantly in these cities, including the neighborhoods surrounding UW and OHSU. If you do any kind of walking around, you can expect to be hounded for cigarettes, weed, food, or cash on a regular basis. Most of the time the panhandler will just walk away if you ignore them, but 1 out of every 5 will start screaming unhinged profane nonsense at you. You're very unlikely to be hurt or robbed by a panhandler, but it's hard to feel safe when someone in the throes of an active mental health crisis is shouting that they'll send the devil to kill you because you didn't have a cigarette for them.

• Haha
Cities in the Northwest are notorious for tolerating extremely aggressive panhandling. While other cities at least attempt to crack down on this behavior, it's apparently anything goes in Portland and Seattle. This isn't so much a true safety issue as it is a major nuisance, but it can be very intimidating especially if you're a woman and/or by yourself at night.

Aggressive panhandling happens constantly in these cities, including the neighborhoods surrounding UW and OHSU. If you do any kind of walking around, you can expect to be hounded for cigarettes, weed, food, or cash on a regular basis. Most of the time the panhandler will just walk away if you ignore them, but 1 out of every 5 will start screaming unhinged profane nonsense at you. You're very unlikely to be hurt or robbed by a panhandler, but it's hard to feel safe when someone in the throes of an active mental health crisis is shouting that they'll send the devil to kill you because you didn't have a cigarette for them.
They better be careful yelling at strangers like that. Someone might be having a bad day or be a little unhinged thereself and go after them. Ohio State had a few people like that outside of campus.

Rochester MN probably up there on most isolated frigid wastelands too if we look at more factors than safety and expense
Scranton weather isn’t bad it’s just that Scranton is straight out of a Fallout game level of urban decay.

Reactions: 2 users
Rochester MN probably up there on most isolated frigid wastelands too if we look at more factors than safety and expense
Y'all just need to learn how to dress for the weather. Winter is the best season up here!

Rochester is a nice city and is also only 1.5 hours from the Twin Cities, so I don't think you could really rank it up on these lists.

How do budget conscious med students find a place to live for schools like U Chicago, Hopkins and Geisinger that are located in very dangerous neighborhoods? Do these schools have a lot of dorm rooms set aside for medical students?

How do budget conscious med students find a place to live for schools like U Chicago, Hopkins and Geisinger that are located in very dangerous neighborhoods? Do these schools have a lot of dorm rooms set aside for medical students?
It varies, but "very dangerous" is somewhat subjective. Every school publishes COA numbers that include a reasonable allowance for reasonable housing, with or without roommates. You can always borrow up to the COA, everywhere, so "budget conscious" is also variable depending on your resources and willingness to take on debt. If you need the least expensive housing in an expensive urban area, you're going to get what you are willing to pay for.

That said, no one guarantees anyone a beautiful living arrangement 5 minutes from the school. Some schools have that, others don't. Some have subsidized dorms or apartments, others don't. Bottom line, everyone seems to manage, and JHU and Pritzker don't seem to have too much difficulty attracting the top students in the country, notwithstanding the fact that they are located in "very dangerous neighborhoods."

It's a fact of life that some of the best schools are located in some of the worst areas. If it's that worrisome, there are around 150 MD programs in the country, and many of them are located in very lovely areas. As always, MSAR is a great place to begin a search.

It varies, but "very dangerous" is somewhat subjective. Every school publishes COA numbers that include a reasonable allowance for reasonable housing, with or without roommates. You can always borrow up to the COA, everywhere, so "budget conscious" is also variable depending on your resources and willingness to take on debt. If you need the least expensive housing in an expensive urban area, you're going to get what you are willing to pay for.

That said, no one guarantees anyone a beautiful living arrangement 5 minutes from the school. Some schools have that, others don't. Some have subsidized dorms or apartments, others don't. Bottom line, everyone seems to manage, and JHU and Pritzker don't seem to have too much difficulty attracting the top students in the country, notwithstanding the fact that they are located in "very dangerous neighborhoods."

It's a fact of life that some of the best schools are located in some of the worst areas. If it's that worrisome, there are around 150 MD programs in the country, and many of them are located in very lovely areas. As always, MSAR is a great place to begin a search.
Inflationary environment great for borrowers, bad for lenders. Lever up

*not financial advice*

• Haha
Essentially people group up in the less dangerous areas a little ways away from campus. Using Hopkins as an example many people rent rowhomes together in the Fells neighborhoods instead of near campus, or if they do want to live near campus, they live in the very secure apartment complexes (Jefferson Square, or the hopkins owned "929" dorms). Current students will be able to advise about this at interviews/second looks/start of M1.

Inflationary environment great for borrowers, bad for lenders. Lever up

*not financial advice*
For investing, maybe. For consumption, never! :)

The degree is an investment. Living in a nicer place than necessary is consumption. The trick is to figure out what is "necessary"!!

The point I was trying to emphasize to the poster was that they should not expect to be safe in the Central West End just because it looks nice.

This is true for every major US city though. My car was broken into in Seattle while parked in a neighborhood where studio condos start at $750K. A friend of mine was mugged walking home to his bougie neighborhood from his bougie Amazon job. Regardless of how nice the neighborhood or how high the property values, cities = crime. You posted statistics about some robberies and muggings in your St. Louis neighborhood, but I've got to say, that report doesn't look all that different from the crimes you might see in "desirable" Seattle neighborhoods. And people don't typically think of Seattle as a very dangerous city. I'm not trying to argue or debate with you, because you clearly have life experience and context for your city that I don't, but I did think that report you posted was interesting. I know it was meant to highlight how dangerous St. Louis is, but it made me look up the stats for South Lake Union in Seattle. In the last week alone, there have been well over a dozen reports of assaults and robberies in that neighborhood. So why do we think of St. Louis as so dangerous yet people are clamoring all over themselves to move to Seattle? (Sincere question, I honestly don't know the answer)

But as a general point about urban areas: for med students from rural or suburban towns, first-time city living can be something of an adjustment. It doesn't mean someone lives in a "bad" neighborhood, necessarily, just because property crimes occur. City living is a unique lifestyle, and one needs to consider their personal security when out and about. Regardless of the property values or how nice the neighborhood is, if you're in an urban area, you need to secure your vehicle, you shouldn't walk alone at night, you should always remain aware of your surroundings, don't wave cash around, lock your doors, and carry mace if makes you feel better. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Some have subsidized dorms or apartments, others don't. Bottom line, everyone seems to manage, and JHU and Pritzker don't seem to have too much difficulty attracting the top students in the country, notwithstanding the fact that they are located in "very dangerous neighborhoods."

A lot of medical students at Pritzker get shell-shocked from what I've seen. I definitely was as a college student.

No one tells you about the crime (which has literally exponentially increased in the past 5 years) and UChicago will not report anything unless it's literally on campus which excludes literally every living area except college dorms. Even then you still get a lot of emails about gunpoint muggings and people getting hit in the back of the head and robbed in the middle of campus at 9pm walking home. Like, there was an actual homicide probably 2 minutes away from the medical school in the backyard/parking area of a mostly student-occupied apartment complex. Despite being on everyone's social media, and people asking the school wtf happened, no one ever commented and since it's just another murder on top of the dozens that happen every weekend, not even the news covered it.

Also don't even get me started on security on campus and in the hospital area. You can practically walk into the ED armed and no one will know unless you are brandishing your gun as you walk in. Attendings/administration push for more security yet nothing budges, bullet-proof outside windows were just allowed to start processing after what seemed like an eternity (and i'm pretty sure the only thing that made this happen was because some other Chicago hospitals, Sinai and Cook, were actually shot at/up). CPD and chicago as a whole also has its host of issues, most of which are just getting worse, but that's for another time.

Ultimately, are you going to get shot/hurt by attending Pritzker? Probably not, assuming things get better. But will you have fun? Nope. You'll probably be in a constant state of anxiety and fear. You think I'm joking and that it ain't much but that all changes when you hear 20 shots a few blocks down when you're walking home, or you see 15 cop cars racing 90 mph towards the ED because two cops were fatally shot after dealing with a minor parking incident a few minutes away from the ED. I didn't even apply to this school and I go here; ain't good enough to justify this garbage.

Also I live in NYC and not a rich area, definitely still a 'city,' but it is no where near what I have experienced and the amount of fear I feel just walking home at Chicago (sans gunshots). If anyone's planning on going to a place like Hyde Park, do yourself a favor and get the Citizen app...definitely worth it.

A lot of medical students at Pritzker get shell-shocked from what I've seen. I definitely was as a college student.

No one tells you about the crime (which has literally exponentially increased in the past 5 years) and UChicago will not report anything unless it's literally on campus which excludes literally every living area except college dorms. Even then you still get a lot of emails about gunpoint muggings and people getting hit in the back of the head and robbed in the middle of campus at 9pm walking home. Like, there was an actual homicide probably 2 minutes away from the medical school in the backyard/parking area of a mostly student-occupied apartment complex. Despite being on everyone's social media, and people asking the school wtf happened, no one ever commented and since it's just another murder on top of the dozens that happen every weekend, not even the news covered it.

Also don't even get me started on security on campus and in the hospital area. You can practically walk into the ED armed and no one will know unless you are brandishing your gun as you walk in. Attendings/administration push for more security yet nothing budges, bullet-proof outside windows were just allowed to start processing after what seemed like an eternity (and i'm pretty sure the only thing that made this happen was because some other Chicago hospitals, Sinai and Cook, were actually shot at/up). CPD and chicago as a whole also has its host of issues, most of which are just getting worse, but that's for another time.

Ultimately, are you going to get shot/hurt by attending Pritzker? Probably not, assuming things get better. But will you have fun? Nope. You'll probably be in a constant state of anxiety and fear. You think I'm joking and that it ain't much but that all changes when you hear 20 shots a few blocks down when you're walking home, or you see 15 cop cars racing 90 mph towards the ED because two cops were fatally shot after dealing with a minor parking incident a few minutes away from the ED. I didn't even apply to this school and I go here; ain't good enough to justify this garbage.

Also I live in NYC and not a rich area, definitely still a 'city,' but it is no where near what I have experienced and the amount of fear I feel just walking home at Chicago (sans gunshots). If anyone's planning on going to a place like Hyde Park, do yourself a favor and get the Citizen app...definitely worth it.
Chiraq is on another level.

• Haha

How does U Chicago manage its campus tours/overnight stays in such a way as to mask the crime problem on/near campus that you've described?

• Dislike
How does U Chicago manage its campus tours/overnight stays in such a way as to mask the crime problem on/near campus that you've described?
Med schools and to a lesser extent elite undergrads have an extreme supply demand balance. So I don’t really think they have to do anything because regardless of how bad it is, they can fill their class 5 times over with elite candidates. Therefore there really is no need to mask things

One of my friends from undergrad is at Prtizker rn and she was summa cum laude at HYPSM, good leadership, high MCAT and Pritzker and her home state school was the only As that she received. Obviously it’s still a very successful cycle, but it’s not like she had a ton of options/leverage to complain about location

Med schools and to a lesser extent elite undergrads have an extreme supply demand balance. So I don’t really think they have to do anything because regardless of how bad it is, they can fill their class 5 times over with elite candidates. Therefore there really is no need to mask things

One of my friends from undergrad is at Prtizker rn and she was summa cum laude at HYPSM, good leadership, high MCAT and Pritzker and her home state school was the only As that she received. Obviously it’s still a very successful cycle, but it’s not like she had a ton of options/leverage to complain about location

<<One of my friends from undergrad is at Prtizker rn and she was summa cum laude at HYPSM, good leadership, high MCAT and Pritzker and her home state school was the only As that she received. Obviously it’s still a very successful cycle, but it’s not like she had a ton of options/leverage to complain about location>>

That this is so common is scary and crazy.