Which med schools are located in the worst locations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How does U Chicago manage its campus tours/overnight stays in such a way as to mask the crime problem on/near campus that you've described?
I cant imagine it's too hard...you're just on campus seeing pretty buildings and in the dorms. I don't think I would have worried about it during overnights/visits during college—I was just thinking about the people, friends, screwing around, etc. and we don't leave campus at all. Honestly first two years of college aren't bad especially for premed since you're both a) living on campus (super nice) and b) not leaving campus often. But third, especially fourth year, you see what it's really like and what medical school would be like.

During medical school you're more independent and you're not on campus all the time + no dorms and you have to venture pretty far into hyde park for food, and if you want cheap food you have to go beyond the 'danger zone' which sucks. I personally buy delivery and take the financial burden but it's definitely worth it.
One of my friends from undergrad is at Prtizker rn and she was summa cum laude at HYPSM, good leadership, high MCAT and Pritzker and her home state school was the only As that she received. Obviously it’s still a very successful cycle, but it’s not like she had a ton of options/leverage to complain about location
Eh, honestly considering most state flagships are T25-40 I would have picked them over Pritzker without question, on top of the fact that they probably cost 1/3rd of the price not counting possible merit aid. Pritkzer also matches highly into the midwest and Chicago itself (please no). Just my two cents. Pritzker is consistently ranking in the high teens/low 20s so it's not something to rave home about anyway, for you people that cry about T3 or no medical school.

I don't know about Baltimore but it sounds like it's nearing Chiraq-esque levels which is mildly concerning to hear....maybe someone from there can chime in to confirm/deny

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I cant imagine it's too hard...you're just on campus seeing pretty buildings and in the dorms. I don't think I would have worried about it during overnights/visits during college—I was just thinking about the people, friends, screwing around, etc. and we don't leave campus at all. Honestly first two years of college aren't bad especially for premed since you're both a) living on campus (super nice) and b) not leaving campus often. But third, especially fourth year, you see what it's really like and what medical school would be like.

During medical school you're more independent and you're not on campus all the time + no dorms and you have to venture pretty far into hyde park for food, and if you want cheap food you have to go beyond the 'danger zone' which sucks. I personally buy delivery and take the financial burden but it's definitely worth it.

Eh, honestly considering most state flagships are T25-40 I would have picked them over Pritzker without question, on top of the fact that they probably cost 1/3rd of the price not counting possible merit aid. Pritkzer also matches highly into the midwest and Chicago itself (please no). Just my two cents. Pritzker is consistently ranking in the high teens/low 20s so it's not something to rave home about anyway, for you people that cry about T3 or no medical school.

I don't know about Baltimore but it sounds like it's nearing Chiraq-esque levels which is mildly concerning to hear....maybe someone from there can chime in to confirm/deny
Check out the post by @efle earlier in this thread.

I grew up in Southeast D.C most of my life, there's absolutely nothing dangerous about Georgetown or George Washington location. adjacent to GT is legit 10million dollar homes. Northwest D.C is overwhelmingly safe, that's generally where D.C's Elite live. Foggy bottom, 15min down the street WALKING, is also very safe as you can imagine. D.C is expensive and maybe students live further out to try and find cheaper living situation in not as nice areas since cycling and public transit makes it easy to commute from anywhere in DC but even then, all of D.C is being gentrified, in a few more years all of D.C will be whitewashed.

JHU on the other hand. Thats rough. lol. I love Baltimore too, its beautiful. Both DC and Bmore perfectly exemplifies the beauty of city living though imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I grew up in Southeast D.C most of my life, there's absolutely nothing dangerous about Georgetown or George Washington location. adjacent to GT is legit 10million dollar homes. Northwest D.C is overwhelmingly safe, that's generally where D.C's Elite live. Foggy bottom, 15min down the street WALKING, is also very safe as you can imagine. D.C is expensive and maybe students live further out to try and find cheaper living situation in not as nice areas since cycling and public transit makes it easy to commute from anywhere in DC but even then, all of D.C is being gentrified, in a few more years all of D.C will be whitewashed.

JHU on the other hand. Thats rough. lol. I love Baltimore too, its beautiful. Both DC and Bmore perfectly exemplifies the beauty of city living though imo.
Agreed. The Metro can get you anywhere you need to go.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about bad locations, not good ones! :laugh:

I think most people realize those schools are in great locations. It's probably the primary reason they are both so low yield.

I thought this thread was supposed to be about bad locations, not good ones! :laugh:

I think most people realize those schools are in great locations. It's probably the primary reason they are both so low yield.
Yeah, my response was mostly to post #5 and #6. I guess my point is that just because a school is in an Urban area doesn't mean the location is dangerous.

The location is super wonderful. I love that area of D.C, I worked there for several years, and if anyone is in the area they 10000% should visit Luke's Lobster and Baked & Wired. LOLOL

I would say there’s a couple other cities in particular that are definitely at/above Chiraq in terms of crime. Memphis and St. Louis are certainly up there. St Louis has one of the highest homicide rates in the country. That’s excluding East St. Louis which is possibly the worst hood in America!

I would say there’s a couple other cities in particular that are definitely at/above Chiraq in terms of crime. Memphis and St. Louis are certainly up there. St Louis has one of the highest homicide rates in the country. That’s excluding East St. Louis which is possibly the worst hood in America!

The issue is medical schools being located in crime ridden neighborhoods v being located in crime ridden cities.

The issue is medical schools being located in crime ridden neighborhoods v being located in crime ridden cities.
Honestly, there is really no issue at all. The thread is a fascinating survey of some of the least desirable areas of the country, but the bottom line is that around 82% of us won't have to worry about this, because we will have either zero or one choice regarding where we will be going to school next year.

The rest of us, when given a choice between a WashU, U Chicago, JHU, etc., and a lower ranked alternative located in a less intimidating place, will either figure out a way to stay safe while receiving a T10 med school education, or will trade prestige, opportunity, money, or whatever else is associated with a top tier med school for perceived safety.

As sharp as we all are, we are not going to solve the urban crime problem by next summer, and the schools will not be relocating in the next generation. My bet is very few will be turning down top tier schools in NY, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. for lower tier schools in lovely places with less reported crime in Florida, California, Iowa, Nebraska, Maine, etc.

So, at the end of the day, what is the point of the thread, other than scaring the crap out of some very fortunate people who worked their butts off to be accepted at some of the best medical schools in the world? How many med students have died as a result of being victims of violent crime at any of these schools in the last 100 or so years? Bad things happen everywhere. You use some common sense and the odds are you'll be fine wherever you happen to live or work.

As sharp as we all are, we are not going to solve the urban crime problem by next summer, and the schools will not be relocating in the next generation. My bet is very few will be turning down top tier schools in NY, Chicago, St. Louis, Baltimore, Philadelphia, etc. for lower tier schools in lovely places with less reported crime in Florida, California, Iowa, Nebraska, Maine, etc.
Unfortunately, some poor saps won't have California or Florida available to them.

1634095804902.png

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
"Worst location" is so relative. Personally, I can't imagine a nightmare worse than living and learning in Manhattan. But a campus like Virginia Tech in Roanoke, VA? Absolutely perfect.

"Worst location" is so relative. Personally, I can't imagine a nightmare worse than living and learning in Manhattan. But a campus like Virginia Tech in Roanoke, VA? Absolutely perfect.
Prob just referring to crime. Homicides and gunshots on campus living areas isn't exactly something that would bolster my medical school education.

Med schools and to a lesser extent elite undergrads have an extreme supply demand balance. So I don’t really think they have to do anything because regardless of how bad it is, they can fill their class 5 times over with elite candidates. Therefore there really is no need to mask things

One of my friends from undergrad is at Prtizker rn and she was summa cum laude at HYPSM, good leadership, high MCAT and Pritzker and her home state school was the only As that she received. Obviously it’s still a very successful cycle, but it’s not like she had a ton of options/leverage to complain about location

How many interviews did your friend receive?

• Hmm
Is what you're asking related to this USNWR data? It's a little hard for me to understand the question. Do you mean you just wish the AAMC released the total percentage of applicants with each number of interviews?
Maybe like 6 or 7. A few of her interviews were at some of those schools that only accept like a quarter of people that they interview

Maybe like 6 or 7. A few of her interviews were at some of those schools that only accept like a quarter of people that they interview
Haha how did you end up quoting my message from a different thread on this one

Am from Baltimore: JHH causes its own problems, but generally is a fine area. Again, people living their lives. Maryland is the same way.

I go to school in Camden: Totally overblown and nowhere close to what ppl see as a warzone. I literally park on the street and used to leave at 3 AM most nights. No problems if you respect (genuinely) the people around you.

This goes without saying: play stupid games. Win stupid prizes. If you're in an alley in Camden at 3 AM, you have given away your right to complain that you were robbed. Maryland? If you went to the projects across MLK Blvd, I'd argue you're causing problems where they're weren't any. Why are you over there? And depending on the person,many locals respect and protect their MD docs and JHH docs because what happens when you do bad by your docs? Gang members don't play bc they recognize the altruism of the hospital staff. So it was common for a gang member or big dude to help you if someone was giving you the business and say "back off".

And I'll say, eVeN as a short white male, I LOVED going over to the projects on the ambulance because it usually was tense but then everyone realized we were there for the neighborhood matriarch and we'd get mad respect and literally any assistance we could ask for, from anyone. Was awesome.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
Am from Baltimore: JHH causes its own problems, but generally is a fine area. Again, people living their lives. Maryland is the same way.

I go to school in Camden: Totally overblown and nowhere close to what ppl see as a warzone. I literally park on the street and used to leave at 3 AM most nights. No problems if you respect (genuinely) the people around you.

This goes without saying: play stupid games. Win stupid prizes. If you're in an alley in Camden at 3 AM, you have given away your right to complain that you were robbed. Maryland? If you went to the projects across MLK Blvd, I'd argue you're causing problems where they're weren't any. Why are you over there? And depending on the person,many locals respect and protect their MD docs and JHH docs because what happens when you do bad by your docs? Gang members don't play bc they recognize the altruism of the hospital staff. So it was common for a gang member or big dude to help you if someone was giving you the business and say "back off".

And I'll say, eVeN as a short white male, I LOVED going over to the projects on the ambulance because it usually was tense but then everyone realized we were there for the neighborhood matriarch and we'd get mad respect and literally any assistance we could ask for, from anyone. Was awesome.
You sound super badass dude, but hopkins docs and other employees get targeted all the time

• Haha

Not sure what Camden you're talking about, but hey, glad you had such great experiences with gang members...LOL. A proven fact is that ambulance workers have been abused for years, so I would be super impressed if in Camden, the EMS workers were treated with so much respect as you state.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
Stanford is in a really rough neighborhood. $3.5 million median home values and Rolls Royces just roamin around. (Ok, not that common but I’ve seen quite a few there).

Chicago is a fun town. Loyola, Northwestern, UIC, Rush are all in totally fine areas. Wouldn’t think twice about going to any of them. University of Chicago is what everyone says. Wonderful education, but as pointed out-high crime area surrounding it.

No idea about Rosalind Franklin—they’re practically in Canada by Chicago standards. It may be a little closer to Chicago, but you can typically drive to Milwaukee faster. Which isn’t a bad thing-I love Milwaukee. Just that the name “North Chicago” is misleading.