Worried- Interviews Still Being Offered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Singingpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

Applying to Peds this cycle with a dual degree (PhD) this year. Step 1- 242. Have only heard back from 10/47 programs applied and getting nervous fast! Are places still granting interviews or are most filled?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviews are still being offered, MSPEs were just released a few days ago. This week should be your busiest week.

Also with 10 interviews you have almost a 100% chance of matching somewhere, so I wouldn't worry

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea but Ive gotten a couple replies from programs one saying they arent giving out anymore interviews or request being added to a waitlist..... :/

When people like you apply to 42 programs, and there are hundreds of you doing so, the interviews are going to go fast. Applicants are more paranoid than ever, so they're applying to more places with a fixed number of interview spaces.

Things should hopefully let up when people realize they can't go on that many interviews and start canceling.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm in a similar boat 239/248 applied to 44, have 11 interviews and 1 waitlist. I haven't heard a single thing since the MSPE was released. This isn't what I was expecting to happen the week after Oct 1st . And I know 11 is great, but I'm couples matching so I'd like to get at least 15-20 so we have at least 10 interviews in the same locations (he's doing EM, which hasn't given out many interviews yet so I have to take everything I'm given).

When people like you apply to 42 programs, and there are hundreds of you doing so, the interviews are going to go fast. Applicants are more paranoid than ever, so they're applying to more places with a fixed number of interview spaces.

Things should hopefully let up when people realize they can't go on that many interviews and start canceling.
So basically the next week or two will be really busy, but interviews off the waitlists should trickle in for a while after that?

Are places still granting interviews or are most filled?
So basically the next week or two will be really busy, but interviews off the waitlists should trickle in for a while after that?

This is from the Program Director's survey just released 2 weeks ago. http://www.nrmp.org/match-data/main-residency-match-data/

upload_2016-10-4_23-28-35.png

So as you can see, based on this data, ~75% of the interviews are offered after Oct. 1, with a total >50% being offered at some point in time during October (not necessarily by October 5). I'd say you can relax a little bit for a week or so.

Then maybe started calling programs to express interest if you haven't gotten interviews around like October 24 or so (this is what we're more or less told to do for medicine).

Reactions: 1 user
Surveys are just that. You could also be those ~5% that were invited in December. I got an interview a late as December 14 lol. I would not worry. Also, even if you were couple's matching, 10-15 tends to be a good number for a good match rate!

Yes. I spoke with two program directors today, and they both said they had received over 1200 applications, for roughly 250 interview slots. It's a lot of applications to wade through.

I'm getting worried too. There's an eerie silence in my mailbox!

So I have a total of six invites, and I'm hoping for a longer rank list than that. I applied to 35+ programs. Would now be a good time to start emailing some programs I haven't heard from yet? Or should I wait a while?

I applied to 64 programs (due to my non-US IMG status). I have 8 IVs so far. Like you I got scared and wrote to 5 programs. Only one replied saying they are still reviewing applications and anticipate generating invitations till end of November. So I guess we can wait till end of October before panicking.

My program is still sifting through applications. Wait at least until the end of October (when people start cancelling interviews with more regularity) to start e-mailing places. And if you aren't comfortable with the number of interviews you have early on, send out another round of e-mails in December. I got a couple of last minute invites, especially at programs that I was willing to interview at on short notice (less than a week after the call). Obviously, that's going to be easier if you're in an area with easy access to a large number of programs, but it works.

Just 3 more rejections this week, 5 interviews out of 95 programs, now is it time to worry with one week left in oct?

Just 3 more rejections this week, 5 interviews out of 95 programs, now is it time to worry with one week left in oct?
what programs where u rejected from? just so we know what programs are sending rejection emails

For me, it is just nerve wracking how program send invites and rejections, and I get nothing. I know some say hey you're still in the pool, you've got a chance, but it's just more anxiety not knowing.

Hello!

I am an in a similar situation with 14 total interviews (2 that I am cancelling this week) and yet to hear from ~25 programs. I've already called and emailed a lot of them and they have either said they are still reviewing or are full and will add a note of interest to my file. Is it likely that ~3 more invites will come in through the course of the season? I am in a Northeast State with relatively easy access to NY, VA, MD, and am just curious how many more I can expect to hear from as last minute calls.

Hello!

I am an in a similar situation with 14 total interviews (2 that I am cancelling this week) and yet to hear from ~25 programs. I've already called and emailed a lot of them and they have either said they are still reviewing or are full and will add a note of interest to my file. Is it likely that ~3 more invites will come in through the course of the season? I am in a Northeast State with relatively easy access to NY, VA, MD, and am just curious how many more I can expect to hear from as last minute calls.
What are you worried about? Not matching? Or is there a particular program you're hoping to hear from?

With 14 interviews, if you rank them all, your chances of going unmatched are about 3%. I'd say you're in great shape.