Worried I can't improve PS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sshashid87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my applications were in late this year. Very late. My secondaries were turned in by October, but my final letter of recommendation didn't get turned in until December, and since I went through my school committee, the letter didn't even get posted til January. (Not blaming anyone, I shouldn't have kept waiting, I was dumb) In other words, I was screwed. Got several pre-interview holds, smaller pools, etc, but nothing has amounted from them.

I decided to take this year off to prevent burnout in medical school, thinking I was going to start in Fall. But now it seems like I may end up doing a bioethics masters (just interested in the subject), and reapplying this cycle. Other than hang out, I volunteered 6-8 hrs/week, researched 4-8 hrs/week until about January/February. Still continued volunteering, but research was getting very tedious and I'd gotten all I could out of it.

Now, I know the general consensus is to reapply only when one has substantially improved their application, but my PS is going to stay pretty much the same. Only difference is I'm going to be able to apply as soon as AMCAS opens, and will work on secondaries a lot earlier (was studying for MCAT last summer) so they can go out by July/August. Of course, I'll have more hours of volunteering/clinical experience, and possibly a paper (submitted, not accepted yet)...

(3.7 GPA, 3.55 BCPM, 29 MCAT) coupled with all the above, are my chances low for this cycle? I'm also going to have my DO LOR, last cycle I used an MD letter for DO schools, so I'm hoping that will help too...I'm really freaking out now, I really don't want to end up in the Carrib, residency spots are lacking and it seems like it's going to be impossible to match in a few years unless you're from a US school....

Sorry for the long winded post, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno. I think if you could significantly improve your MCAT score then that, along with the other improvements you've been making and applying MUCH sooner, might make a big difference.