Reapplicant Should I be worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted959190

Hi all, I am a reapplicant from last cycle, I have a 3.91 GPA 3.94 sGPA from a top ten public school, 515 MCAT, I have over 5000 hours of Research experience, currently working in a translational research lab at UCSF in the department of surgery, have around 700 total clinical hours including medical assistant and shadowing, created an organization dedicated providing clothing to homeless people outside of a train station in SF and confounded a startup online athletic clothing business this past year. I applied to a total of 60 schools this year which around 35-40 are new schools, I submitted the first day apps verified. I am starting to worry as I only received one interview thus far and wonder if I should start panicking. Thanks !

Members don't see this ad.

California with strong ties to New York grew up there and went to school for 18 years there, but went to college in Cali and currently living in Cali

Schools

Uc davis
UCSF
Uc Irvine
Ucla
Stanford
UCSD
Nyu
Mt Sinai
Buffalo
Upstate- interview
Rochester
Stonybrook
Albany
Drexel
Penn state
Miami
Central michigan
Michigan
Wake Forest
Louisville
Rush
Loyola
Rose land franklin
St. Louis Missouri
Creighton
Cooper
Hackensack
Virginia
West Virginia- interview waitlist
Iowa
Emory
Northeast Ohio-Father did residency there
Case wes
Ohio state
Thomas Jefferson
Albert Einstein
Ivy leagues
Vermont
Geisenger
Wisconsin
Wayne st
Hofstra

Prob 2-5 more

Members don't see this ad :)
This is the exact list

Attachments

• DC382012-7437-46AC-A93B-CD8B2A5AD903.png
    DC382012-7437-46AC-A93B-CD8B2A5AD903.png
    179.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 4DB47969-F618-47F0-84D0-A32627A9C4E3.png
    4DB47969-F618-47F0-84D0-A32627A9C4E3.png
    140.6 KB · Views: 259

Attachments

• 080B2768-49BB-45C2-8853-2FBFE9D749A3.png
    080B2768-49BB-45C2-8853-2FBFE9D749A3.png
    88.4 KB · Views: 149
With your stats, you should be competitive at most schools so you should expect at least a few interviews. Is there any other reason you believe you were unsuccessful last cycle? Did you only apply to a few schools, and did you get any interviews at them?

With your stats, you should be competitive at most schools so you should expect at least a few interviews. Is there any other reason you believe you were unsuccessful last cycle? Did you only apply to a few schools, and did you get any interviews at them?

No invites last cycle, mainly applied to top heavy schools, top 25

So whats the deal? Any updates for us? Have you received more IIs? Asking cause I have to reapply next year and I am trying to feel out how hard it is to apply as a reapplicant.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
No just had the one interview I attended,
Also note used a med school prep company this year as well to help with PS, ECs and Secondaries, and had it reviewed by a staff at UCSF who help writes the med school curriculum.

Update: Placed on High Priority alternative list at Upstate

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, it’s starting to become end of October, I feel like I’m starting lose hope, sucks cause I felt I worked so hard

• Sad
I'm sorry man. I was a multi-time reapplicant myself with a GPA a lot worse than yours. its quite a painful spot to be in.

As I'm reading I still don't think your school list is very good for a reapplicant. You have places like SUNY on there that overwhelmingly favor new york (you seem to be california), and Cooper which overwhelmingly favors NJ. Yet you don't have GW or Georgetown that I can see, which are big mid-range schools that take anyone. And you don't have NJMS or Robert-Wood Johnson which take more Out-of-State than Cooper. You need to be of the mindset that any medical school is good enough, and aim a bit lower than Ivy leagues. I wasn't aiming for those but even at interviewing at Vermont I saw people who started businesses and such. You have a good GPA and some impressive accomplishments but you might want to consider your MCAT is a bit low for some of those top tiers?

It seems like you've had people look over your essays. Have you considered a bad letter might be to blame? Not to psych you out, but if you're not feeling one of your recommenders maybe make a switch if it comes to reapplying?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi all, I am a reapplicant from last cycle, I have a 3.91 GPA 3.94 sGPA from a top ten public school, 515 MCAT, I have over 5000 hours of Research experience, currently working in a translational research lab at UCSF in the department of surgery, have around 700 total clinical hours including medical assistant and shadowing, created an organization dedicated providing clothing to homeless people outside of a train station in SF and confounded a startup online athletic clothing business this past year. I applied to a total of 60 schools this year which around 35-40 are new schools, I submitted the first day apps verified. I am starting to worry as I only received one interview thus far and wonder if I should start panicking. Thanks !

Hello! I would stay patient - you'll likely get a few interviews with those stats. Can I ask what date you actually submitted primaries?

Best,
Lauren

Just got an interview for St. Louis, and I lived in New York for 18 years and went to high school there so strong ties

Reactions: 2 users
Just got an interview for St. Louis, and I lived in New York for 18 years and went to high school there so strong ties

That's great, congrats!! 6/3 is good - just wanted to make sure you were submitting as soon as possible. :) If it came to applying again in the future, the earlier the better.

Rooting for ya!
Lauren

I'm sorry man. I was a multi-time reapplicant myself with a GPA a lot worse than yours. its quite a painful spot to be in.

As I'm reading I still don't think your school list is very good for a reapplicant. You have places like SUNY on there that overwhelmingly favor new york (you seem to be california), and Cooper which overwhelmingly favors NJ. Yet you don't have GW or Georgetown that I can see, which are big mid-range schools that take anyone. And you don't have NJMS or Robert-Wood Johnson which take more Out-of-State than Cooper. You need to be of the mindset that any medical school is good enough, and aim a bit lower than Ivy leagues. I wasn't aiming for those but even at interviewing at Vermont I saw people who started businesses and such. You have a good GPA and some impressive accomplishments but you might want to consider your MCAT is a bit low for some of those top tiers?

It seems like you've had people look over your essays. Have you considered a bad letter might be to blame? Not to psych you out, but if you're not feeling one of your recommenders maybe make a switch if it comes to reapplying?
But to answer your question about the letters, I feel pretty confident about them, my old pi let me look at what he wrote and the professors I asked I took them each for two quarters in different classes they offered and got to know them very well. Two even asked for me to write a letter for them to apply for a position within the university. And my current Pi and the post doc I am mentored by wrote one which I am confident about.

Another update&: received an interview to Rochester

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Put on three waitlist post interview. At a new Low in my life feeling wise

Put on three waitlist post interview. At a new Low in my life feeling wise
Sorry, Hang in there- WL’s can easily turn into A’s. Ask your prep company for advice about next steps

How did you establish CA residence? Did your family move there too? CA residency is the worst for med school application. Since you lived and finished HS in NY, you should be NY resident. People attend OOS colleges don't become the resident of that state automatically.

With your stats and NY residency, you should have at least 3-4 NY acceptances by now (Stony, Hofstra...). One person(NY resident) with 3.9+ GPA from Northeastern and 514 MCAT (low CARS score) got multiple acceptances (Downstate, Hofstra...) 2 cycles before.

How did you establish CA residence? Did your family move there too? CA residency is the worst for med school application. Since you lived and finished HS in NY, you should be NY resident. People attend OOS colleges don't become the resident of that state automatically.

With your stats and NY residency, you should have at least 3-4 NY acceptances by now (Stony, Hofstra...). One person(NY resident) with 3.9+ GPA from Northeastern and 514 MCAT (low CARS score) got multiple acceptances (Downstate, Hofstra...) 2 cycles before.
My taxes are filed through here. I talked to me Pre health advisor when making the decision and she said it’s based on that.

My taxes are filed through here. I talked to me Pre health advisor when making the decision and she said it’s based on that.
I haven’t heard back from stony brook and buffalo yet, I sent them letter of interests yesterday.

Fam, I feel for you. Something has to be wrong with your app, ps, LOR's or something. Otherwise you are just pulling some really really unfortunate luck.

I had that three people within the company look at it, people involved in the school at UCSF look at it and someone who use to be on the Baylor comittee look at it. And recs I feel really confident about because I became close with all the people the write them.

Damn you deserve a seat. This process can be so cruel....with 3 WL, I’m sure one will convert to an A

I guess to make it more challenging, is that my mcat will be 3 years old after this. And I looked up the schools that will take it next year and it’s Round 25 mainly all low and mid tier and the 3 waitlist schools are in there. I’d rather focus on boosting my resume than studying again tho. I am about to publish a paper as a second author in the journal of pediatric orthopedics and going to present a poster at a two global health conferences

I guess to make it more challenging, is that my mcat will be 3 years old after this. And I looked up the schools that will take it next year and it’s Round 25 mainly all low and mid tier and the 3 waitlist schools are in there. I’d rather focus on boosting my resume than studying again tho. I am about to publish a paper as a second author in the journal of pediatric orthopedics and going to present a poster at a two global health conferences

What you have here on paper seems competitive. With 3 waitlists, it might be your interviewing. If you still do not have any acceptances come May-June (closer to their CTE deadline), it will be worth letting schools know that you remain very interested in attending (and can start with a moment's notice if need be) to avoid their assuming that you've already planned to matriculate elsewhere. Just my thoughts and good luck.

Hey, sorry about this awful luck! There’s still a possibility, it ain’t over til the lady sings - right? With so few interviews and the stats you have, it’s gotta be something in your app. I am curious about your personal statement - do you want someone to look at it?

Last edited:
I would HIGHLY recommend you take that down and send it as a private message. This makes you identifiable on the forums to the programs who will look at your app.

After reading it, I see no blaring warning signs (as I've seen in several other re-applicant's essays), it's a good essay that touches on resiliency, what inspired you, diversity, and your experience with the medical field with real patients. I would say, IF you have to use it again - change the research paragraph - it almost sounds like you'd be better suited for PhD in research; you also likely don't need to discuss the research in that much detail, save something for them to ask you at your interviews.

Just my humble opinion. I really hope you hear good news this cycle, fingers crossed!!

You are a VERY competitive applicant on paper. If your personal statement is good, and your letters are good, you should get in. The biggest roadblock I see is possibly your secondary essays. If you don't get in after interviewing, it could be due to your interviewing skills. It's important to rehearse some of the major questions asked during interviews, and maybe practice with a few people. If you don't get in this cycle, I would re-evaluate your secondary essays and practice interviewing skills. And on the primary application itself, the way that you list/describe your extracurricular activities is important as well. I'm so sorry that you've had a rough application cycle....I can't imagine how this must feel. Fingers crossed for you!

I had several people look at my secondaries and practiced with several people at UCSF who thought I was prepared and felt prepared at my interviews. Anyways it’s the past currently I’m going to attend two conferences next month to preset a poster and will submit a manuscript to journal of orthopedic pediatrics within the next week.

Also just took a volunteer position at a new free cancer clinic and hoping to develop a leadership role as they say it will have many hurdles

I had several people look at my secondaries and practiced with several people at UCSF who thought I was prepared and felt prepared at my interviews. Anyways it’s the past currently I’m going to attend two conferences next month to preset a poster and will submit a manuscript to journal of orthopedic pediatrics within the next week.
If that's the case, then the only thing I can think of is the schools that you apply to. You might consider applying to "less competitive" schools, although I hesitate to use that term. It seems as if you just have very bad luck, but keep in mind that no one, no matter how competitive they are, is 100% guaranteed to get into med school, due to the high volume of very capable applicants. Maybe apply to more DO schools. And check each school to see what their acceptance population is like....if you apply to an out of state school that accepts mainly in-state, even if the school's acceptance rate is higher, your chances are still low because you're out of state.

Nope clean record never even got detention in middle school hahaah

Actually, that's a good idea. In fact, have you looked at your social media profiles? Have you posted anything offensive, or have any inappropriate pictures or questionable posts on your social media? Prospective employers and adcoms can look at those things

All my social media is private and I changed the name of all my profiles before my app, but anyways I have not posted anything offensive and if they was a red flag I somehow didn’t know about they would’ve brought it up at my interviews which they didn’t

Just submitted two manuscripts as a second author and will be presenting at two conferences the next two weeks and one in the Uk In June. Hopefully it’ll lbe enough to get me over the edge of the waitlist

just reading your posts and I'm confused as to how you didn't receive more IIs! could it be CASPER test related?