working out!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PODTOPRO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
whats up everyone? I will be going to NYCPM in the fall and I was just wondering if POD students have enough time to work out? say about 1hr/30min to 2hr workouts? I dont know how the schedule is exactly but maybe it can fit between classes or even just after classes and such.....any feedback would be appreciated..thank you

Members don't see this ad.

PODTOPRO said:
whats up everyone? I will be going to NYCPM in the fall and I was just wondering if POD students have enough time to work out? say about 1hr/30min to 2hr workouts? I dont know how the schedule is exactly but maybe it can fit between classes or even just after classes and such.....any feedback would be appreciated..thank you

this depends on your study habits and what grades you want to get. anything is possible. some people can manage working out excessively and others cannot.

what made you choose NYCPM?

A lot of people workout at DMU. Freeweights, running, bball, ect. If it is a priority then you can get it done.

Members don't see this ad :)
PODTOPRO said:

That depends on how much you like to sleep. For my first 3 years of school, me and a buddy in my apartment car-pooled (to ensure we would both get up) every morning at 5:30AM to work out before classes and clinic. But DMU has phenomenal workout facilities right on campus. It would have been much harder to have gone to a private gym. Good luck and I hope you work something out. It was great for stress relief!

You will have no time to work out at all. Your social life will cease to exist the day you enter Pod School for you are already behind and need to prepare for board exams... :p

Of course you'll have time to work out and do things you want to do. Mainly depends on how you organize your schedule. Even med students who have good time management are able to do other non school related things. Goodluck at NYCPM

Always time to workout....you never need to go more than an hour anyway (at least with weight training)

oo wow guys thanks for the feedback....i didnt except to recieve so many so soon. working out is deff a priority to me....workout 5days a week and run 6days a week....if i cant fit running in during the semester its all good...i just really want to get my lifting in and i guess from the responses it seems possible

thanks again everyone

working out is definately possible at nycpm. i just go after whatever lab i have and it has been working out fine. the only problem is that the gym at nycpm is small. if you are serious about working out and have a strict workout routine, it may not work so well using the facilities at school. if you can use what they have and get a good workout, then you are set, but if you have really specific exercises, you may want to look into getting a membership elsewhere.

also, ping pong at nycpm is a culture in and of itself. the ping pong table is in the gym and usually there is always something going on there. it is definately distracting, because you always want to get in a game when you can.

see you in the gym at nycpm. :D

cgypod said:
working out is definately possible at nycpm. i just go after whatever lab i have and it has been working out fine. the only problem is that the gym at nycpm is small. if you are serious about working out and have a strict workout routine, it may not work so well using the facilities at school. if you can use what they have and get a good workout, then you are set, but if you have really specific exercises, you may want to look into getting a membership elsewhere.

also, ping pong at nycpm is a culture in and of itself. the ping pong table is in the gym and usually there is always something going on there. it is definately distracting, because you always want to get in a game when you can.

see you in the gym at nycpm. :D

Ha. :D You forgot about the ping-pong tourney and the concept of CAPPA.

yea i seen the workout room at NYCPM...it isn't big but i dont care

with a quick glance it seems i can do "the big three": bench press, squats, and deadlifts.....all the other types of exercises can be done with dumbells and a bench with a dash of creativity ;) lol

nycpm's ping pong tourney sounds pretty cool....it seems like a good way to relieve stress as well...but i suck at ping pong so i dont think i'll be playing that lol

aww crap I love pong. Anybody play at azpod or dmu?

DPMrick said:
Ha. :D You forgot about the ping-pong tourney and the concept of CAPPA.

DPMrick my good friend. must i remind you that it is CAPPPA with 3Ps.
Canadian Association of Ping Pong Players of America. Sheesh.

This next tournament is going to be crazy. To all who are attending NYCPM this upcoming September, bring your A game!

Catayst said:
aww crap I love pong. Anybody play at azpod or dmu?

Pong is huge at DMU. They made the mistake of moving the table to the area outside of the 2nd years lecture hall. Yeah, there was a lot of screaming and general disturbance after every class. The DO students and faculty weren't too happy.

We've got intramural leagues in Pong, Pool, and Fooz.

Members don't see this ad :)
I almost feel there should be a Pong tourney between schools similar to the basketball tournament. I feel NYCPM would actually be a contender!

cgypod said:
I almost feel there should be a Pong tourney between schools similar to the basketball tournament. I feel NYCPM would actually be a contender!

They did well in the bball tourney last year. Heck the girls should have won it. But I agree Pong would be cool. We've got some mean pong players at CPMS. I know the stereotype (but from what I've seen on ESPN) Asian pong players are good, but I've got a theory. I believe that the Later Day Saint members may have trained Forrest Gump b/c those LDSers at DMU are amazing and that is all they do. Play Pong and Fooz and Fooz and Pong.

Dr_Feelgood said:
They did well in the bball tourney last year. Heck the girls should have won it. But I agree Pong would be cool. We've got some mean pong players at CPMS. I know the stereotype (but from what I've seen on ESPN) Asian pong players are good, but I've got a theory. I believe that the Later Day Saint members may have trained Forrest Gump b/c those LDSers at DMU are amazing and that is all they do. Play Pong and Fooz and Fooz and Pong.

here, trash talk is what fuels this game. i swear, i haven't heard this much junk in a looong time. it seems to elevate everyone's game to the next level. the last tournament we had was built on trash talk and it got intense! i think there was more concern about gaining respect that winning the 100 bucks.

I didn't see too much trash talking last year, except in a few of the women's games. If you have seen any of the tournaments in the last 3 years you will know which women talks a little too much.

Dr_Feelgood said:
I didn't see too much trash talking last year, except in a few of the women's games. If you have seen any of the tournaments in the last 3 years you will know which women talks a little too much.

Do all the schools play in the basketball tourney?

Hah Feelgood I'm coming to DMU Aug 8, I'll have to take you on for a couple pong games

molldoll2010dpm said:
Do all the schools play in the basketball tourney?

Yes and no. They are all invited but not all of the schools participate. Last year the teams were NYCPM, Ohio (girls only), Scholl, Temple, DMU. Barry, AZPOD, and Cali did not show.

Why are you coming in August? Just a visit or for an interview?

Dr_Feelgood said:
Yes and no. They are all invited but not all of the schools participate. Last year the teams were NYCPM, Ohio (girls only), Scholl, Temple, DMU. Barry, AZPOD, and Cali did not show.

feelgood, we had a men's team as well but we got our rear-ends rocked.

Podman said:
feelgood, we had a men's team as well but we got our rear-ends rocked.

I'm sorry I got it backwards Ohio had both and Temple had only womens. The ladies were NYCPM, Ohio (who won), DMU, and Scholl.

Ah just visiting, getting a tour with Ms. Good.

I don't know...
I wanna see your anatomy lab maybe, do you have the computer screens like scholl?

Catayst said:
I don't know...
I wanna see your anatomy lab maybe, do you have the computer screens like scholl?

Unfortunately, out of respect for the donors DMU does not take prospective students through the anatomy labs during a tour. As far as the computer screens, I know that they are being added. I'm not sure if it is done yet or not.

No it is not finished. They are just starting. It will be finished for next school year from what Dr. Matz has told me. They are adding one huge lab w/ computers and new tubs, a research and demo lab, and they will keep the old lab for the PA and PT students.

cgypod said:
here, trash talk is what fuels this game. i swear, i haven't heard this much junk in a looong time. it seems to elevate everyone's game to the next level. the last tournament we had was built on trash talk and it got intense! i think there was more concern about gaining respect that winning the 100 bucks.

Yes, the "Champ is here" T-shirt is what is all about.