Changing DL and car plates for schools out of state.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obi-Pod Kenobi

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Those that moved out of state for pod school:

1. Did you have to change your 'home address' to where you are living at school (including getting a new drivers license)

2. Did you have to register your car for that state/get new tags.

Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
If it would be cheaper he'll yeah. I'm a 23 yo guy in New York metro with defensive driving and no citations paying 178$/mo. Get estimates with the zip codes.

To get your car insured in the new state you will most likely need to register it in that state (new registration, license plate, inspection if the state does inspections) which will most likely also require the owner of the car (presumably you) to get an in-state license. That's how it worked in PA, but I'm sure there's variance in different states.

If you are not the owner of the car, that may complicate the situation because your parents' insurance won't want to insure a car if they find out that it's out of state and in state insurers will require the car to be registered in state, which may require the owner to live in state...

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I did change my tags and License when I moved, mostly because for the tags, I had CT plates driving around in Florida. That's basically asking for a ticket for even the most minor traffic infraction. And for the license, there are certain benefits incurred when you're a resident (greens fees at local golf courses, disney world, firearm purchases, etc.). Most states actually require by law that you register your car in state within 90 days of moving but... there is no real enforcement mechanism of this. It may be required for some non-national insurance carriers though.

I had Geico in TX, and even though they're national they still break it down by state because different states have different laws regarding car insurance, like what constitutes full coverage, tort, blah blah blah. So they were requiring me to switch over to PA based GEICO insurance which required the car be registered in PA which required the owner (me) to have a PA license.

It was super annoying.

Side note, most of my classmates who do not have cars are not planning on switching their licenses over.

Sent from my Pixel using SDN mobile

I did not. There was no way I was going to give up my Colorful Colorado plates for Iowa Heartland plates, no matter what the cost.

Reactions: 4 users
I just say I live with my parents so I don't change anything.