Working during school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckeye4life

DO, MPT, MEd
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any PTs gone medical: I am considering getting my license transferred and trying to work a few hours a week. How many hours were you able to work, did your grades suffer, and did you feel any sense of being overwhelmed? I would really like to make a few bucks right now, but I want a very competitive field and can't afford to let my grades slip. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Buckeye

Members don't see this ad.

per diem therapy a couple weekend days a month is easy to do, will give you exposure to your systems hospital (provided you have one and can get a job there) prior to clinical years which can make things easier (understand charts, navigate hospital, make connections with nurses, etc.). I know of others who have done it in the out patient setting as well. prioritize and manage your time appropriately and you will have no problem doing this. I would typically work the sunday after a big exam block (leaving friday for fun, saturday for relaxing). i would wait until you complete your first semester or at least a good part of it to allow for an easier transition into medical school.

best of luck!