Working during PT school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrandeFasciaeLatae

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! So I'm starting PT school in a few months. My question is whether or not I should work part-time during the first semester. I've heard that its a pretty crazy transition in the beginning with a lot of work. However, I do want to retain some kind of income. Any input is much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am finishing up my 2nd year of physical therapy school and, from a personal standpoint, I am glad to have never worked throughout grad school. That being said, there are a couple classmates that still hold part-time jobs but only work on Saturdays and others that got hired through my school to help give tours, answer emails about the program, etc. for a couple hours per week. It is entirely possible to work part-time and go to school, but I prefer to think of school as my job, and I'd rather put my full effort into it rather than split it with another responsibility. The weekends are also both my most productive days, as well as my day to recharge for the next week.

You should ask yourself what the cost-benefit of working part-time is. Is the small influx of cash worth losing 4-10 hours per week that you could hang out with friends, catch up on studying or get some extra sleep in. That's my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
It is entirely possible to work part-time and go to school, but I prefer to think of school as my job, and I'd rather put my full effort into it rather than split it with another responsibility.

Exactly. Treat PT school like it's a 50-60 hour/week job. You have the next 40-50 years to work. This is the last part of your life where you don't have to generate income. You're investing a lot of money into PT school. It deserves your undivided focus.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the previous posters. Class/lab took up a solid 40 hrs/wk. Studying, spending time in the cadaver lab and, in later semesters, practicing with classmates took up another 10-15. Your commute adds on to that. You need to treat it like a full time job and take care of yourself in your free time. You need to have some down time to have fun, work out and go on the occasional vacation.

Hello everyone! So I'm starting PT school in a few months. My question is whether or not I should work part-time during the first semester. I've heard that its a pretty crazy transition in the beginning with a lot of work. However, I do want to retain some kind of income. Any input is much appreciated!
I'm in my first semester. Myself and several other students work part-time and we are managing just fine. Honestly, for how dead broke I am trying to survive on school loans, the small bit of money I get from working is necessary. I'm working 7 hours/week, broken up. I also really enjoy my jobs ..... if I didn't like them, it would be a different matter entirely (I coach in a gym & am teaching 1 credit at a local community college). If you don't HAVE to and also don't actually love the job then I would say don't - just make being a student your full time job and focus. But if you do need the money like me and/or really enjoy it, you'll be okay. I also live with my boyfriend and find time for him, I'm still prepping/cooking all of my food, and somehow finding time to work out. I am also only 10 minutes from my school - if I were losing 1-2 hours/day commuting, that would also be an entirely different matter. There is one girl here driving an hour each way and the total 2 hour loss/day is a real loss for her. At least with work it's doing something and financially productive.

I wouldn't do it the first semester, it's a big transition! However I had two part time jobs from the second semester on. It can be done.

Have a good day!