Working During MBA -- Pros and Cons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aucdoctobe

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to see how other people felt about working during the MBA. I worked no less than 50 hours a week while getting mine. It nearly killed me. Anyway, I wanted to get people's opinions on the pros and cons of working while getting an MBA.

Cons
1. Takes away from your studies -- you just won't have the time to give it everything that you have.
2. Lifestyle -- You will be so busy that you won't have any time to enjoy yourself.
3. Incompatibility with many MBA programs. You will have to turn down several top programs to work during your MBA. The scheduling makes it impossible with some programs.

Pros
1. Experience supplanted by academics is excellent for teaching.
2. You will make many connections -- I have made a lot of them.
3. Employers will respect you. Employers know what you had to go through to get an MBA while working. They will bump you up over many people in the hiring process.
4. Great job offers -- this is really a combination of the respect and contacts. You will get great job offers after you are done.

Members don't see this ad.

Aucdoctobe said:
I wanted to see how other people felt about working during the MBA. I worked no less than 50 hours a week while getting mine. It nearly killed me. Anyway, I wanted to get people's opinions on the pros and cons of working while getting an MBA.

Cons
1. Takes away from your studies -- you just won't have the time to give it everything that you have.
2. Lifestyle -- You will be so busy that you won't have any time to enjoy yourself.
3. Incompatibility with many MBA programs. You will have to turn down several top programs to work during your MBA. The scheduling makes it impossible with some programs.

Pros
1. Experience supplanted by academics is excellent for teaching.
2. You will make many connections -- I have made a lot of them.
3. Employers will respect you. Employers know what you had to go through to get an MBA while working. They will bump you up over many people in the hiring process.
4. Great job offers -- this is really a combination of the respect and contacts. You will get great job offers after you are done.

Hi, where did you do your MBA? Was it night school or an extended program? curious, why do you want to pursue an MD now? I am trying to get a picture of what your long term career goals are, and why you are doing it this way...??
thanx

I'm not really sure what I will do with the MBA. It's too early to tell. I got the MBA because I was awaiting acceptance to medical school. While I was waiting, I figured that I needed a backup in case I didn't get in. So, I planned on doing the MBA/JD/CFP. I would then open up an investment advisory service.

I also didn't want to quit work because I needed the money at the time.

Once I started taking MBA classes I came to see how precious the degree was. I learned a whole lot of theory, which really helped explain many of my experiences.

I also met a lot of good people.

My program was an online and weekend program. It was designed to be compatible with people who already had jobs. All of us were very grateful. By the way, we had 2 MD's in the group. They had got their MD's first and were getting their MBA's second. The MD's seemed to be quite happy about the combination.

Here is the link for my program:

http://www.cameron.edu/graduate/general/catalog/mba.html

I am currently working and getting my MBA through a evening program. Its hard but its gratifying. Although sometimes I do wonder what the value of an MBA actually will be in the future, I guess it depends on the program though. I do have to say some classes have taught me more than others. Looking to finish up next fall (my last health care elective is all goes as planned!). I am getting a concentration in health care with my MBA.