MBA Physician Leadership Positions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ResidentAnonymous001

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m currently in psychiatry residency, and I want to eventually transition into a physician leadership position (CMO, Medical Director). Wondering if it is at all feasible as a psychiatrist? Worth getting a MBA?

Members don't see this ad.

I’m currently in psychiatry residency, and I want to eventually transition into a physician leadership position (CMO, Medical Director). Wondering if it is at all feasible as a psychiatrist? Worth getting a MBA?

Still a resident and ready to jump ship into the C suite already. lol. take a number and get in line.

first you need to practice for 10+ years, serve on committees, get to know how a hospital runs, and establish yourself as a clinician.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Plenty of opportunity for a medical director. CMO is a little more challenging - I think though it mostly has to do with being in the right place at the right time. Don't think it realistically has much to do with residency/specialty training. The direction would be to be a physician somewhere first, then transition to med directorship, then try for CMO.

Reactions: 1 user
Still a resident and ready to jump ship into the C suite already. lol. take a number and get in line.

first you need to practice for 10+ years, serve on committees, get to know how a hospital runs, and establish yourself as a clinician.

I don't think this is necessarily true. Not for being a med director at least. Plenty of people become med directors within a few years of graduation, myself included. CMO - I would agree that's a little more challenging.

Reactions: 1 user
you can be a medical director on year 1 as an attending. ( think of medical director home health and hospice)
CMO is a different game and will take too much of your time
most of the CMO I know have little to non existent clinic hours a week depending how big the organization is

I still prefer the white coat more than the suit.