Working Before Entering Podiatry School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roninishya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I know there are a few members on this board who took time off before applying to podiatry school...I figured I'd ask this question.

How/why did you delay entering/applying to pod school? Also, what did you do during your time between undergrad and pod school.

In my situation, I never actually finished my application; I'm done all the pre-reqs, completed my MCAT, shadowed a podiatrist, acquired 7 recommendations and then...didn't apply. I felt that I wasn't quite ready right away for the commitments of podiatry school.

A quick question...how long are MCAT scores valid. I took my MCAT in May of 2008...I believe that means my scores are valid until May 2011?

I am asking this because I am about to sign into a government program, which basically binds me to my career for at least 2 years...just curious

Members don't see this ad.

http://www.aacpm.org/html/careerzone/require.asp

Required Admissions Tests
Traditionally the MCAT has been the only standardized test required for admissions to the colleges of podiatric medicine. However, some colleges will accept the GRE or DAT in lieu of the MCAT. The MCAT is scored in each of the following areas: Verbal Reasoning, Physical Sciences, Writing Sample, and Biological Sciences. MCAT exams taken more than three (3) years prior to application are NOT ACCEPTABLE.
To register for the MCAT and for the dates and test site locations, visit www.aamc.org/students/mcat.

I took my test in 2006 and I got in this cycle (about a 2 year old test). If you're applying in the 2009 or 2010 cycle you should be fine, but if its the 2011 cycle, then you'll have to retake it. So make sure to apply within the next 2 cycles.