Work Experience for MBA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc luv

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a current medical student looking to get an MD/MBA. However, I realize that most decent MBA programs want you to have some sort of work experience. I came to medical school straight out of undergrad, and except for some time working in health policy on the Hill, I have little health administration/business experience. Has anyone been in a similar position and been able to still get into an MBA program? Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

flindophile said:
Work experience is more important at the top tier programs. There is no doubt that you can get admitted to an MBA program without experience; however, you may have difficulty getting admitted to one of the best ones. The top programs may evaluate MD/MBA programs differently and not weigh the work experience so heavily.

As a practical matter, you will get more out of your MBA education if you have work experience.

I agree with EVERYTHING flindophile said!

flindophile said:
Work experience is more important at the top tier programs. There is no doubt that you can get admitted to an MBA program without experience; however, you may have difficulty getting admitted to one of the best ones. The top programs may evaluate MD/MBA programs differently and not weigh the work experience so heavily.

As a practical matter, you will get more out of your MBA education if you have work experience.

i agree ... I'm sure your MD program has a joing program with UVA's MBA program in Darden, talk to your dean about it. I have a friend in an MD/MBA program who decided during 3rd year she needed a break. She had NO business experience at all. Granted it not a top tier program but they are looking to change the MBA program to an Ivy League school next year ... and most med students I know have NO business experience.
:luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
flindophile said:
So is it advisable to go after the MBA after working for a little while (when all the "schooling" is complete)? I was just wondering which route to take... the combined degree route or the previously mentioned. I was looking into some programs for full-time professionals such as Graziadio/Pepperdine MBA:
http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/programs/mba/

Please inform your opinion regarding which route is preferred. Thanks in advance.

AUG2UAG said:
So is it advisable to go after the MBA after working for a little while (when all the "schooling" is complete)? I was just wondering which route to take... the combined degree route or the previously mentioned. I was looking into some programs for full-time professionals such as Graziadio/Pepperdine MBA:
http://bschool.pepperdine.edu/programs/mba/

Please inform your opinion regarding which route is preferred. Thanks in advance.

I think the main concern you need to address is in what aspect you plan to use your degrees. If you are planning to be a practicing physician and are looking for the basic business skills to lead a successful practice, an in-depth MBA may not be the route for you. An MBA is designed to provide a broad depth of knowledge into the analysis and development of investments far beyond the scope of most medical practices. If, however, you interest is the development a biomed tech company I think it would be advisable to pursue a career in that path for a few years post-medical school to get a better idea of what you will need to look for in a potential MBA program. If you are simply looking to get a grasp of running an office, there are many more effective and less costly (in terms of money and time) routes than pursuing an MBA.

Adam

mshheaddoc said:
i agree ... I'm sure your MD program has a joing program with UVA's MBA program in Darden

nope...no joint MD/MBA program with Darden