Work and School Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PA_dud3

PA-S1
Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So Ill be heading back to school tomorrow. Im not gonna lie I have a bit more on my plate than I did last semester. I had initially told my PIC at CVS that I would like to work weekends just to have more time for schoolwork, however, I am thinking about asking her if I could just be scheduled for every other weekend so that I can better juggle my schoolwork and club leadership and find time to go home occasionally. Do you guys think this would be looked down upon if I brought it up to her? I feel like I would be hanging them out to dry, so to speak. I like working, but I dont want to kill myself doing it with all the work I have at school as well, but I also dont want to risk my job.

Thanks for any help and advice you guys can provide. Sorry for the rather mundane question.

Dd3.

Members don't see this ad.

Aside from the fact that you initially agreed to every weekend...

Assuming you working some during the week, doing every other weekend is very reasonable. It’s hard to expect someone to work every single weekend because so much of life in our society is centered around weekends. I haven’t worked with many PICs who were dictatorial enough to have a problem with this.

That said, if you’re working every other weekend and never any during the middle of the week, it’s kinda a waste. Unless you’ve worked a lot during the breaks, every other weekend is marginally insufficient in keeping your skills honed.

You could ask for one day a week as well. In any case don't be surprised if you will be cut loose unofficially by having all your hours cut

Members don't see this ad :)
I did every other weekend due to travel/commute whilst in school/undergrad. Yes, you will have a tougher time getting more hours should you free up your schedule a bit. Just be proactive in letting PIC know dates in advance (i.e. spring break, holiday weeks, etc.). Completely manageable if you put in the effort with school work (studying daily, transcribing class notes, etc.); if anything, I felt like working was relaxing serving as a break from school life.

Do you think I could just do every weekend like I am now and just ask off every couple weekends when I want to go home and for breaks? I really want to avoid pissing off my PIC (who is already being really nice and understanding by just allowing me only on weekends, in my opinion).

I know thats a really specific question, but how is part timers asking for time off viewed in a managerial sense? Would you guys understand if they were in school? I literally never asked for time off at my last tech job lol

I was working two intern positions while I was taking classes so you definitely have the time. It's about how much social life you want to trade off for the experience and security you get there. If I were in your shoes, I would probably agree to pick up shifts during the week and save the weekends for yourself. Grind it out and continue to leave a good impression throughout your time there so they can put in a good word for when they start handing out offers.

Do you think I could just do every weekend like I am now and just ask off every couple weekends when I want to go home and for breaks? I really want to avoid pissing off my PIC (who is already being really nice and understanding by just allowing me only on weekends, in my opinion).

I know thats a really specific question, but how is part timers asking for time off viewed in a managerial sense? Would you guys understand if they were in school? I literally never asked for time off at my last tech job lol

Honestly, I worked every weekend for 2 years during the beginning of my pharmacy days and I totally regretted it. It's totally doable but it gets old and exhausting quite fast. I suggest you talk to your PIC and drop to every other weekend or that you fall back to per diem (only working during winter/summer breaks and covering the team's PTOs and vacation). Right now, my store has a student that does this. She only picks up shifts during winter break, summer break, or a couple shifts here and there, but our PIC is also very supportive.

Looking back, it wasn't really worth it. If I had to do it again, I would just take out more loans to support myself financially rather than have to come in every weekend. When you're young, you often fail to see the forest through the trees. In the grand scheme of things, an extra 20-30k in loans isn't gonna kill you...but it will give you a lot of breathing room and time to chill with your classmates and just have fun a bit. But also I grew up in an environment without much money, so I was always anxious when there's no paycheck coming in.

Last edited:
Yo dr dude! There has been some good advice put on this thread so I won’t repeat a lot of it.

Something that I would add is to say do not be afraid to make decisions for yourself. Do not make the decision to work more in order to make your current manager happy. The way the job market is right now, there is a good chance you will be working with an entirely different team when you graduate and you may never even see the current team you work with now again.

When you graduate be open to relocation anywhere in the country. Do not be afraid to move to “BFE” - the truth is there is tons of opportunity in the right area if you consider all options.

Don’t forget - you gotta be the man (haha). Don’t be afraid to call the shots and be confident about it.

Reactions: 1 users
You guys realize OP isn’t even in pharmacy school yet right? To which I have to ask: why isn’t this thread in the pre-pharm forum?

Apologies for posting in the wrong forum

Just incase anyone wanted an update, I got my first schedule(s) today from my PIC and they actually dont look that bad. Around 16 hours a week by working solely on the weekends (9-6 on Sat and 10-5 on Sun). I feel like I'll be able to swing that no problem, to be honest. If I need time off I'll probably just ask her, shes honestly a super great boss. The only thing I have to worry about now is keeping up with everyone else, lol.

Thanks to everyone for your responses!

Reactions: 1 user