Should I go for volunteering as a firefighter or working as a tutor for my university?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello9753

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering which one of these would look better for grad schools.

Pro of Firefighter:
I get loads of volunteer hours bc I will be at the station
I will be more fit
It might look better on the resume?

Con of Fire Volunteer:
It might be rather tiring
Could possibly affect grades (won't know till I start)

Pro for Tutor or TA:
I get paid
I can get a rec letter from the uni (assuming I do a good job of teaching)

Con for TA:
I don't make enough time out to teach?
I don't know how to do questions and feel bad

I'm not a big fan of being considered a pre-med, since they can be rather toxic and arrogant people most times. So I say I am on the border of pre-med and pre-pharm.

Members don't see this ad.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
So I say I am on the border of pre-med and pre-pharm.

pharmacy is dead. I'm only a recently hired tech (pre-med here doing gap year job post graduation) but in just two weeks I've seen the crap that pharmacists at my CVS deal with, not to mention floating to innumerous locations, and having to eat lunch in the pharmacy with zero bathroom breaks. 30 hours is also considered full-time at CVS. They're all super stressed out, especially with having to waste production/verification time to give out flu-shots.

Do the tutor gig, and stick to some kind of volunteering here and there on weekends, that you can stay consistent on. If you want to become fit, set aside an hour every day (or every other day) for the gym.

If you're still not convinced, see if you can shadow a pharmacist and a (primary care) physician, so you can mentally contrast the two jobs, and receive some honest advice. If you love medicine but have piss poor grades, consider podiatry.

Reactions: 1 users
Do the tutor gig, and stick to some kind of volunteering here and there on weekends, that you can stay consistent on. If you want to become fit, set aside an hour every day (or every other day) for the gym.

Yea but I believe that volunteering for in a fire fighter place will show dedication to protecting and helping others. I don't plan on taking an EMT class either since I've got a pretty busy schedule.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea but I believe that volunteering for in a fire fighter place will show dedication to protecting and helping others. I don't plan on taking an EMT class either since I've got a pretty busy schedule.

dude...use google? I can see why the pre-pharms get mocked on SDN sometimes.

$4500 just for the initial level of training. It's way too much of a hassle. Firefighter training also requires EMT classes.
Isn't there something else you could do? Surely your campus has a volunteer club, or even a service fraternity? I'd join quite a few clubs if I were you, including "fun hobby" ones, and sustain commitment.

I was wondering which one of these would look better for grad schools.

Pro of Firefighter:
I get loads of volunteer hours bc I will be at the station
I will be more fit
It might look better on the resume?

Con of Fire Volunteer:
It might be rather tiring
Could possibly affect grades (won't know till I start)

Pro for Tutor or TA:
I get paid
I can get a rec letter from the uni (assuming I do a good job of teaching)

Con for TA:
I don't make enough time out to teach?
I don't know how to do questions and feel bad

I'm not a big fan of being considered a pre-med, since they can be rather toxic and arrogant people most times. So I say I am on the border of pre-med and pre-pharm.
Stick with the fire department...The whole system will be begging for firefighters...some places are now...Get on the training staff if you need that sort of note on a resume...AND..you will stand out. AND..you will have some choice on location and actually get paid in a lot of places...You could put lawn mowing on a pharmacy school app and get accepted..

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
...will show dedication to protecting and helping others...
You can volunteer at your local homeless shelter. I spent 2 years serving food and helping out at different events the shelter hosted. Not only do you help a lot of people, you get to know a lot of them and even help their situation out a little. All it takes is just one phone call and you can do it this weekend.

LoL at the "helping people" rhetoric. If it worked like that then I'd go volunteer for the NBA to create content and help push the woke social justice agenda. That'll "help" millions of Americans be more "politically informed"...

dude...use google? I can see why the pre-pharms get mocked on SDN sometimes.
The standards for pharmacy school admissions have been dropping exponentially for years now.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.