Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any advice what to wear with a meet and greet dinner with only students the night before an interview? They say it's casual so I was thinking just like slacks and a blouse?

Sounds fine. A casual (but not skimpy) dress would be fine too.

So I have a really nice below the knee dress that's very professional. However, it doesn't totally cover my shoulders. It's not like a tank top dress by any means, maybe a little more than a full hand width across. Should I plan to wear like a sweater or jacket over it?

For an interview, a matching jacket. For a meet and greet, no jacket necessary.

Members don't see this ad.

Those are beautiful shoes but probably have a little too much sex appeal for this occasion. High and spiky. My interview show had a pointed toe but the heel height was far lower. Now, I wore a similar shoe to the one you posted to my white coat ceremony (labeled a business casual affair) with a very tasteful dress. But you'd better believe I was rocking conservative politician with weak ankles on interview day.

More like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/88/6e/46/886e46eed153c8e1b7de4fdc0207e419.jpg

A striped button down should be fine as long as the stripes are very thin and vertical.

What is the heel height of that one?

Are we still using this thread (#3) or should we be switching over to the new one (#4) that got made a couple of days ago?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are we still using this thread (#3) or should we be switching over to the new one (#4) that got made a couple of days ago?

You can do either, I'm certainly going to provide advice on both for as long as there are questions as both. It seems like others feel the same! I started the new one because this one was almost at 100 pages and there were a lot of the same questions being asked almost back to back. I figured if we had a reference guide at the beginning of the thread there might be less "Is a pink suit with white patent heels and no hose ok? I want to stand out" and more fine tuned questions/individualized questions.

replying here because the original post+reply is here.

How pregnant will you be? The more pregnant, the more leeway...
Thanks for the response! Mid-2nd trimester singleton, but showing a fair bit (similar to http://runawayteacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/week-20-baby-bump.png). Definitely can't avoid maternity wear or sweatpants and oversize shirts :oops:

You might also try a line of [non-maternity] knitwear called Misook.
Oh that's a great suggestion, thank you! Good to know about "black" matching too. I'm on the curvier side (bump or not) so it's hard to find a fit, but some of the jackets online look promising.

Speaking of clothes geared towards affluent women, how sensitive will people be towards that at an interview? Not necessarily flashy but will it be noticeable in a bad sense? I dressed down with my old career because my faves like Eileen Fisher blouses (thank goodness for Nordstrom Rack) were often too much in comparison to people showing up to work in tshirts. It's been a while since I've been in a potentially flipped situation.

replying here because the original post+reply is here.

Thanks for the response! Mid-2nd trimester singleton, but showing a fair bit (similar to http://runawayteacher.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/week-20-baby-bump.png). Definitely can't avoid maternity wear or sweatpants and oversize shirts :oops:

Oh that's a great suggestion, thank you! Good to know about "black" matching too. I'm on the curvier side (bump or not) so it's hard to find a fit, but some of the jackets online look promising.

Speaking of clothes geared towards affluent women, how sensitive will people be towards that at an interview? Not necessarily flashy but will it be noticeable in a bad sense? I dressed down with my old career because my faves like Eileen Fisher blouses (thank goodness for Nordstrom Rack) were often too much in comparison to people showing up to work in tshirts. It's been a while since I've been in a potentially flipped situation.

It's good to be sensitive to -- so avoid flashy designer logos. But good taste is good taste, and anyone who can or will recognize a Misook or St John knit will also know how extraordinarily versatile they are and understand the concept of "investment dressing" -- which they are. You'd really need to try on a Misook dress/skirt to find what size will work -- then go to ebay! Buy that size and one up to get you through the rest of your pregnancy, a shell or two, and a jacket and you're set.

You're not trying to look like you spent a lot of money in a flashy sense. But if possible, you should dress in a way that demonstrates you know how the professional class dresses -- that you either know or have made some effort to learn the rules. So tasteful classics. Talbots and Brooks Brothers over whatever it is the Kardashians are wearing. Black/cordovan shoes and bag can be expensive because it makes sense to buy quality 'basics'. Ropes of pearls, no matter how tasteful, would be overdone.

Do you guys think I can get away with this jacket/shirt combo (pretend the shirt is ironed!)? Or am I safer with a standard black jacket with dress shirt? I am wearing dress pants with flats to accompany.

Attachments

• 20160914_101313.jpg
    20160914_101313.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 306
Do you guys think I can get away with this jacket/shirt combo (pretend the shirt is ironed!)? Or am I safer with a standard black jacket with dress shirt? I am wearing dress pants with flats to accompany.
That's a fashion suit, not a business professional suit.

Just wanted to stop in and say thank you to all you ladies that helped me with my interview outfit! I had my second interview today and it's so reassuring walking into a room and being confident that my outfit is professional, comfortable and appropriate. You guys are awesome.
@DokterMom & @gyngyn TY!!

Reactions: 3 users
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is this suit okay? http://www.anntaylor.com/petite-sea...Color=4886&colorExplode=false&catid=cat550044 or is the side slit a problem? I tried it on in store and the slit is not "open" the way it looks in the picture when I'm just standing.
Did you try sitting down in it? I would worry about the slit while sitting down (how you will spend 99% of your interview), especially because skirts generally ride up a little already while sitting down, even if you buy them a size up.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

I love this. And this is probably the closest thing I would wear out of everything anybody has posted. I have worn stuff like this to professional business interviews and have never NOT gotten accepted into a professional program or a healthcare related job. Everybody is posting stuff that looks like funeral attire. (And I love color and will always wear it) but to add to your jacket I think it's great.

I understand the point is to dress professional and to not "show your personality", but I would also be uncomfortable in any of the other things I've seen and I think that's important. I don't want to look like I just bought this suit for an interview and they can tell I don't wear these things normally.

I don't think anybody is giving wrong or right advice but just take it with a grain of salt.

There is nothing wrong with your jacket, as a business healthcare professional I wouldn't see your jacket and say "how dare she wear this jacket, it's too fashionable"... Or whatever.

Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I love this. And this is probably the closest thing I would wear out of everything anybody has posted. I have worn stuff like this to professional business interviews and have never NOT gotten accepted into a professional program or a healthcare related job. Everybody is posting stuff that looks like funeral attire. (And I love color and will always wear it) but to add to your jacket I think it's great.

I understand the point is to dress professional and to not "show your personality", but I would also be uncomfortable in any of the other things I've seen and I think that's important. I don't want to look like I just bought this suit for an interview and they can tell I don't wear these things normally.

I don't think anybody is giving wrong or right advice but just take it with a grain of salt.

There is nothing wrong with your jacket, as a business healthcare professional I wouldn't see your jacket and say "how dare she wear this jacket, it's too fashionable"... Or whatever.

There are different levels of "professionalism" expected when applying for different levels of jobs. If you are applying for a job as a teacher, nurse, lab tech, administrative assistant or other "professional but not the boss" type job, that jacket and a black skirt would be absolutely fine. It is not an expensive jacket (sorry - it shows) and those positions are not so well-paying that something more expensive is expected.

For a medical school interview or a job as an executive, physician or lawyer, a more professional look is warranted if at all possible. Some leeway is given at the early career stages, but you still need to look like you know how you're supposed to dress, even if you can't afford it yet.

For some reason I already own this skirt so if this works for an interview that would be financially better for me...(ok I know the price is a drop in the bucket compared to tuition)

Is this gray color too light to be appropriate for an interview?

http://www.express.com/clothing/wom...nd-pintucked-pencil-skirt-suit/ens/cat2700001

The color is as light as I'd want to go. And of course, for an interview suit, not as small-on-you as the model's suit is on her.

There are different levels of "professionalism" expected when applying for different levels of jobs. If you are applying for a job as a teacher, nurse, lab tech, administrative assistant or other "professional but not the boss" type job, that jacket and a black skirt would be absolutely fine. It is not an expensive jacket (sorry - it shows) and those positions are not so well-paying that something more expensive is expected.

For a medical school interview or a job as an executive, physician or lawyer, a more professional look is warranted if at all possible. Some leeway is given at the early career stages, but you still need to look like you know how you're supposed to dress, even if you can't afford it yet.

The color is as light as I'd want to go. And of course, for an interview suit, not as small-on-you as the model's suit is on her.

I agree! I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't have to look funeral like. When I interviewed for graduate school I didn't wear so black or navy, actually coral and I was accepted. Is there a different attire needed for medical school than graduate school? (Serious question). Thanks for your reply!!

Oh and I liked the suit you referenced! I would most definitely wear that!

And yes there are ways to appear "expensive" without breaking the bank and also not appear to look in mourning. Also I'm a bigger girl and 6ft so these pants suits just don't appear flattering for my frame. All black just seems odd. Suggestions?

Last edited:
I agree! I guess what I'm saying is it doesn't have to look funeral like. When I interviewed for graduate school I didn't wear so black or navy, actually coral and I was accepted. Is there a different attire needed for medical school than graduate school? (Serious question). Thanks for your reply!!

Oh and I liked the suit you referenced! I would most definitely wear that!

And yes there are ways to appear "expensive" without breaking the bank and also not appear to look in mourning. Also I'm a bigger girl and 6ft so these pants suits just don't appear flattering for my frame. All black just seems odd. Suggestions?

And I can agree with everything you've written -- And I do agree about the 'sea of black' looking funereal with the occasional navy and charcoal not doing much to relieve the somberness.

A few words on being different -- or rather on standing out versus blending in.
  • If you're a strong candidate, standing out visually as well as on paper can work to your advantage, providing your visual 'stand-out-ness' is within the range of appropriate, and that you carry yourself with confidence. So maybe a deep wine or dark teal suit, a jacket in a fabric that compliments (vs. matches) your dress, an accessory item that doesn't disappear, shoes in a non-boring color or with a tasteful embellishment. But do bear in mind that if your interviewer is not already disposed to viewing you favorably, this tactic can backfire.
  • If you're very tall, wearing heels can make you stand out in a very good way. Too many tall girls try to hide or blend in rather than standing tall and carrying their height with confidence. A tall woman wearing unapologetic heels looks fabulous! Confident. Strong. Capable.
When you say you are "bigger" (such a loaded word) I'll assume you mean you're not model skinny in addition to being tall -- I'd suggest a dress suit. (I know, I know -- I say that all the time. It's such a great look!) A nice dress suit (sheath dress and matching jacket) simply takes your body 'out of the equation'. Whether skinny or heavy, boyish or curvy, a dress suit tends not to show your shape while not being baggy or dowdy and generally looking flattering on most figure types. So long as it's long enough and not too tight, you've got the professionalism angle nailed. And also just a bit different from the sea of suits while being absolutely appropriate and tasteful.

A few samples (shown w/o regard to color just to show the style):
41CBhAxIfcL.jpg

http://www.jessicalondon.com/clothi...tTypeId=1&PurchaseType=J&pref=npc&rec=Certona

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
And I can agree with everything you've written -- And I do agree about the 'sea of black' looking funereal with the occasional navy and charcoal not doing much to relieve the somberness.

A few words on being different -- or rather on standing out versus blending in.
  • If you're a strong candidate, standing out visually as well as on paper can work to your advantage, providing your visual 'stand-out-ness' is within the range of appropriate, and that you carry yourself with confidence. So maybe a deep wine or dark teal suit, a jacket in a fabric that compliments (vs. matches) your dress, an accessory item that doesn't disappear, shoes in a non-boring color or with a tasteful embellishment. But do bear in mind that if your interviewer is not already disposed to viewing you favorably, this tactic can backfire.
  • If you're very tall, wearing heels can make you stand out in a very good way. Too many tall girls try to hide or blend in rather than standing tall and carrying their height with confidence. A tall woman wearing unapologetic heels looks fabulous! Confident. Strong. Capable.
When you say you are "bigger" (such a loaded word) I'll assume you mean you're not model skinny in addition to being tall -- I'd suggest a dress suit. (I know, I know -- I say that all the time. It's such a great look!) A nice dress suit (sheath dress and matching jacket) simply takes your body 'out of the equation'. Whether skinny or heavy, boyish or curvy, a dress suit tends not to show your shape white not being baggy or dowdy and generally looking flattering on most figure types. So long as it's long enough and not too tight, you've got the professionalism angle nailed. And also just a bit different from the sea of suits while being absolutely appropriate and tasteful.

A few samples (shown in less-appropriate colors just to show the design):

Amazon product

Amazon product

Amazon product

THANK YOU!!

I have 2 interviews back to back for different programs at different campuses of the same school. I was wondering if I could get away with wearing the same suit on both days . I am assuming the interviewers will be different too. Otherwise I will have to carry 2 suits and shoes and handbag to go with them, I would rather travel light on a flight and I don't want to check my bag in. What do you all think?

I have 2 interviews back to back for different programs at different campuses of the same school. I was wondering if I could get away with wearing the same suit on both days . I am assuming the interviewers will be different too. Otherwise I will have to carry 2 suits and shoes and handbag to go with them, I would rather travel light on a flight and I don't want to check my bag in. What do you all think?
I think wearing the same suit both days is fine. I would just bring another shirt (unless you are wearing a dress suit) and panty hose

Sent from my SM-N900T using SDN mobile

Men wear the same suit all the time. It's normal.

Is there a different attire needed for medical school than graduate school? (Serious question).

Just to briefly address your question here:
I didn't apply to grad school, so I can't speak from experience, but from what I saw of grad students interviewing at my undergrad and my friends who went that way, graduate school interviews are a lot more casual than med school ones. They're almost business casual (sport coat and khakis or a dress/cardigan), and a suit would be out of place. Whereas med school interviews are definitely business formal--suit required.

Just to briefly address your question here:
I didn't apply to grad school, so I can't speak from experience, but from what I saw of grad students interviewing at my undergrad and my friends who went that way, graduate school interviews are a lot more casual than med school ones. They're almost business casual (sport coat and khakis or a dress/cardigan), and a suit would be out of place. Whereas med school interviews are definitely business formal--suit required.

When I interviewed everyone had on the dress suits or pants suits. I wonder of that was because it was at a medical school?? Who knows! Thank you for replying!

Thank you! That was my gut feeling. I got this one and the matching skirt instead: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/nine-west-one-button-jacket?ID=2356177

So my PI, who actually has extensive experience interviewing medical school candidates at two different top 10 schools told me I needed to wear a coral/red/bright colored blouse underneath my plain black or navy suit jacket. She thinks it helps interviewers remember who you are/point out 'the woman in the red/coral' later on.

Although I trust her judgement, it seems to run counter to what I've read on here... "not the time to stand out" etc. Am I overthinking it? After all, I would be wearing all neutral everything else...

So my PI, who actually has extensive experience interviewing medical school candidates at two different top 10 schools told me I needed to wear a coral/red/bright colored blouse underneath my plain black or navy suit jacket. She thinks it helps interviewers remember who you are/point out 'the woman in the red/coral' later on.

Although I trust her judgement, it seems to run counter to what I've read on here... "not the time to stand out" etc. Am I overthinking it? After all, I would be wearing all neutral everything else...

You want to be conservative and fit the dress code with a navy suit, but a brightly colored blouse (in a non-neon color that flatters you) is perfectly ok and even preferred over white. I bought two shells--one in rose pink, one in deep red.

You want to be conservative and fit the dress code with a navy suit, but a brightly colored blouse (in a non-neon color that flatters you) is perfectly ok and even preferred over white. I bought two shells--one in rose pink, one in deep red.
thank you!

Yay or nay to pretty, acrylic long nails?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

A long sleeved oxford would be far more appropriate. Technically you are supposed to be able to see a hint of cuff under the suit jacket if it's all tailored right, but it's not a big deal if it isn't, just saying long sleeved oxford would be more classic.

If the sleeve is folded, I would worry about bunching under the arm of the jacket. If you take off the jacket and put it back on, it can be hard to get those shorter sleeves to stay put.

Also, it's nice to be able to take off your suit jacket for lunch, better to spill on the shirt and carry extras on the trail (assuming you don't go home after each interview) than to spill on your jacket. Plus sometimes you can have interviews after the lunch and getting crap on your jacket sucks. Plus it gets hot.

I wore a long sleeved oxford, took off my jacket for lunch (a bit more casual too if you're chatting up residents at the lunch), then unbuttoned and folded up my sleeves to eat, then put it all right as rain after lunch.

Given my feeling on wanting the flexibility of taking off the jacket when appropriate interview day, that is why I favor long sleeves over the sleeveless tops/shells a lot of interviewees wear. Granted, those tops can be cooler making it less necessary to take off your suit jacket. Still, too hot for lunch.

I would love some opinions on a look like this:
blazer-dress-shirt-dress-pants-large-5614.jpg

Are oxfords like above okay instead of heels? & would an outfit like this be formal enough?

Are oxfords like above okay instead of heels? & would an outfit like this be formal enough?

No. You need a suit, and shoes that could not pass for men's shoes. (Unless you are out as gender non-conforming)

Finally! Someone in this thread with some actual fashion sense.

I say go for it. I love this look.

Don't do it for your medical school interview.

Last edited by a moderator:

It ain't about looking fashionable. Actually, I like the look also. But for your medical school interview, you're trying to look professional, like someone who understands what is expected of them and takes it seriously.

Don't undermine your goals and throw away years of hard work for one day's worth of sartorial rebellion.

Ummm...med school interviews aren't about looking fashionable. They're about looking put together within the very limited confines of what is considered acceptable for women's business professional attire. Medicine is a very conservative field. Wouldn't you want to do everything possible to not make any waves at your interview? Try and change the field from within, not before you're in it yet.

while Crayola is correct that and Oxford or cotton button front blouse is more classic, most of us feel that it is a bit rigid and too conventional. In addition many women cannot wear the less forgiving fabric in a button front.

A more drapey blouse fabric such as this is perfectly appropriate and a touch of color is nice. The tab roll up sleeves to make it more casual but this would not be noticed if you let the sleeves down and did not take your jacket off.

I love that outfit too except for the shoes but it is completely inappropriate for a formal interview as others have noted.

This would be fine for the dinner the night before a residency interview or for the office. In fact again with the exception of the shoes, it is almost identical to what I am wearing today in the office.

NB: I brushed my hair and the blouse isn't buttoned to the throay

Just bringing a little light to this laughable thread. I understand dressing business appropriate but some of the rigid, basic rules that are preached in this thread are just ridiculous.

There really is no point in disputing this with any of you. But, I believe one should be able to express ones self in a non conformist way and that how one dresses has zero impact on their professionalism or skill as a future physician. That's not to say that I'm advocating for green hair and plaid suits for medical school interviews, but I just don't see what the big deal is with a slim fit trouser or a nice printed blouse that people in this thread so often condemn.

Just bringing a little light to this laughable thread. I understand dressing business appropriate but some of the rigid, basic rules that are preached in this thread are just ridiculous. [...] I believe one should be able to express ones self in a non conformist way and that how one dresses has zero impact on their professionalism or skill as a future physician. That's not to say that I'm advocating for green hair and plaid suits for medical school interviews, but I just don't see what the big deal is with a slim fit trouser or a nice printed blouse that people in this thread so often condemn.

I am inclined to agree with the bolded (emphasis mine) in principle but the fact is, it's an odds-on guess that the entire admissions committee doesn't feel the same way, and they're the ones you want to impress. To many people, dressing in conventionally professional attire means you know how you are supposed to dress for the situation and you behaved accordingly. It indicates you are aware of the seriousness of the situation and can help give the impression that you belong in that setting.

This thread is here to give advice to people who don't have professional wardrobe experience/role models to draw on, to make sure that we're not blindsided by the professional expectations (including clothing) and conservative sartorial lean of evaluators on interview day. A printed blouse or slim trousers are not likely to be the most inappropriate thing someone wears to an interview day, but they are not as appropriate as the traditional suit+blouse+heels. If you want to take the risk at your interview, that's your prerogative, but I think it is misleading/inaccurate to treat both options as if they are equally acceptable to all parties.

No. You need a suit, and shoes that could not pass for men's shoes. (Unless you are out as gender non-conforming)
Thank you all for your replies! The guidance really helps.
I have seen some suits that have a light jacket and dark pants, which is why I thought a dark jacket and grey pants could be okay. Am I correct in understanding (based on these responses) that I need to find something that is the same color on top and bottom?