Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Love the dress suit! In my personal opinion, one of the classiest looks going, and also one of the best options for downplaying a figure that's either not-quite-perfect or it's evil twin, distractingly perfect without looking dowdy. A dress-suit that fits just takes your shape out of the equation.

Necklace B is the best of those, though something longer could work also -- just not as busy as the first batch you posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
thank you for your input! in that case, should I go with something with a smaller chain like the ones below? I don't want to wear anything too heavy, so I'm thinking of something flat and lightweight. As long as they're not too shiny, would any of these options pass?

00198071-01.jpg
A
00196902-01.jpg
B
00236116-01.jpg
C

Another option would be to do a stud earring instead of a necklace.

Whats the consensus on a black pant suit, black purse, and black pumps? Where am I able to add a bit more color, if needed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats the consensus on a black pant suit, black purse, and black pumps? Where am I able to add a bit more color, if needed?

You could add color in the shell or blouse that you wear.

Reactions: 3 users

A scarf is another option if you're comfortable wearing them. Or a pin/brooch that's interesting, though this can be hard to do well -- must be a great piece.

A scarf is another option if you're comfortable wearing them. Or a pin/brooch that's interesting, though this can be hard to do well -- must be a great piece.
What color purse and/or shoes would be best with a black suit if I can't a perfect accessory in time?

Does anyone know what color purse I should get for this suit? I have small black pumps to wear with it. Also should I get a brighter color shell?
View attachment 208176 View attachment 208177 Hey guys!!
Need advice on the suit I bought today.
First off is the wine colored top ok? The suit is actually a dark grey not black but the lighting is off in this picture. Also do I need to get the jacket altered? The size down was too small but I feel like it's a little boxy on me. Please excuse the mess, it was a long day!

What color purse and/or shoes would be best with a black suit if I can't a perfect accessory in time?
Does anyone know what color purse I should get for this suit? I have small black pumps to wear with it. Also should I get a brighter color shell?

Black shoes and bag. Any color shell -

Reactions: 1 user
Okay, here's some of my options attached below. My interview is September 9th, so I'm trying to get my outfit figured out now. Yes, they need to be ironed and all that still, which is happening this weekend.

Option 1:
The white dress would have a black blazer over it. It fits me very well with absolutely NO cleavage (I'm super busty, 5'1 and about 130, so not overweight per say).
The black flats fit me well, have a very small heel on them.
Pearl necklace and pearl bracelet.

Option 2:
Same black flats, but with a matching black skirt and black blazer. The shirt underneath is shown in the picture and what it looks like. I mentioned the pink daisies previously.

I will not have a purse with me at all (leaving it in the car) is this okay?

Thank you all! IMAG1843.jpg IMAG1844 (1).jpg IMAG1845.jpg IMAG1846.jpg

Okay, here's some of my options attached below. My interview is September 9th, so I'm trying to get my outfit figured out now. Yes, they need to be ironed and all that still, which is happening this weekend.

Option 1:
The white dress would have a black blazer over it. It fits me very well with absolutely NO cleavage (I'm super busty, 5'1 and about 130, so not overweight per say).
The black flats fit me well, have a very small heel on them.

Option 2:
Same black flats, but with a matching black skirt and black blazer. The shirt underneath is shown in the picture and what it looks like. I mentioned the pink daisies previously.

I will not have a purse with me at all (leaving it in the car) is this okay?

Thank you all! View attachment 208670 View attachment 208671 View attachment 208672 View attachment 208673
A white dress is not business professional. It is neither practical nor within normal limits for such an interview.
A suit (preferably navy or charcoal) in which the jacket and trousers (or skirt) are made of exactly the same woven fabric is required.
This blouse is not business professional. A solid shell in any solid color with a black suit would be fine.
Shoes with (even) small heels are preferable to flats but this is not a deal-breaker.
A purse is not required.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
A white dress is not business professional. It is neither practical nor within normal limits for such an interview.
A suit (preferably navy or charcoal) in which the jacket and trousers (or skirt) are made of exactly the same woven fabric is required.
This blouse is not business professional.
Shoes with (even) small heels are preferable to flats but this is not a deal-breaker.
A purse is not required.

Thank you for the input. My black blazer and skirt are the same color/material. I just need a good shirt to go underneath. It's just so difficult being a busty girl. What colors do you recommend? I am trying to avoid white because I plan to wear a pearl necklace. I would prefer beige if this would be okay. What are your inputs on this? I have this weekend to figure out a shirt.

Sorry if this is a rookie question, but why is wearing black not recommended? I feel like I don't look good in other colors like navy and charcoal :/

Thank you for the input. My black blazer and skirt are the same color/material. I just need a good shirt to go underneath. It's just so difficult being a busty girl. What colors do you recommend? I am trying to avoid white because I plan to wear a pearl necklace. I would prefer beige if this would be okay. What are your inputs on this? I have this weekend to figure out a shirt.
Women have a lot of latitude with regard to blouse color. Any flattering solid color in a fabric that is not see-through is fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is a rookie question, but why is wearing black not recommended? I feel like I don't look good in other colors like navy and charcoal :/
Black has historically been reserved for weddings, funerals and state events.
It has become so common that it is now acceptable (though not prefered) for business professional. If you already have a good black suit, don't fret, you'll fit right in.

Women have a lot of latitude with regard to blouse color. Any flattering solid color in a fabric that is not see-through is fine.

Great, I'm thinking beige or blue might be a good fit for me. These colors seem to minimize my chest size. I will post pictures and plan to look for heels that I could potentially wear.

Are wedges not advised?

Black has historically been reserved for weddings, funerals and state events.
It has become so common that it is now acceptable (though not prefered) for business professional. If you already have a good black suit, don't fret, you'll fit right in.
Oh I see, thank you for your response gyngyn!

Great, I'm thinking beige or blue might be a good fit for me. These colors seem to minimize my chest size. I will post pictures and plan to look for heels that I could potentially wear.

Are wedges not advised?
Wedges are casual, not professional.
Pumps with even a centimeter or two in the heel would be fine.

The color is fine. The sheer overlay may not tuck well and halter armholes are iffy. Still, it's way better that the daisies!

Thanks! This helps with an idea of what to look for. It'll be covered by a black blazer. I appreciate the advice.

I think I may have found the shoes to go with the suit. Any thoughts? The blouse is a red wine color and the suit is black.

Attachments

• IMG_4476.JPG
    IMG_4476.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4477.JPG
    IMG_4477.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_4474.JPG
    IMG_4474.JPG
    115 KB · Views: 186
I think I may have found the shoes to go with the suit. Any thoughts? The blouse is a red wine color and the suit is black.

Do the shoes come in a matte leather as opposed to patent? Patent is more casual.

Do the shoes come in a matte leather as opposed to patent? Patent is more casual.
I will look for a new pair this weekend, thank you! My only worry is that I would like to have my suit tailore/taken in today..would I need to have my shoes available for the pant length?

Very nice -- The wine will be lovely with pearls.

image.jpg image.jpg Are these shoes ok? Worried about the patent toe and the gold accent

If anyone is looking for cordovan heels, I found some on sale-ish. $49.99, anyway. 2 7/8 inch heel, so do with that what you will...

Screen Shot 2016-09-02 at 1.10.43 PM.png

EDIT: The link I posted earlier is not working, but the shoes are from the outlet section of the Naturalizer website, and the style is "Lacey."

Last edited:
Are these ok for campus tours?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 151
I'd like to wear a subtle nail polish to make sure I don't wind up not realizing I have visible dirt under my nails or something. Is this too much? Should I go for a fainter pink?

These are the only two purses I have besides a tiny Coach I wouldn't bring because it's covered in logo. Does it look bad to lug around such a big bag? Should I buy something more compact?
102658512_964.jpg

Man, I thought I had some items that were alright and was looking forward to just going shopping for some accessories to top off my outfit. This thread is making me realize I have almost nothing that is interview-appropriate. God bless places like Goodwill and the consignment shop down the road. Gonna be hitting them up next week to see how much I can get away with not buying new.

Reactions: 3 users
I was planning on going with an ivory shell, but in an effort to do something more interesting I found this gray/silvery shell. Thoughts? Navy suit
ImageUploadedBySDN1472998231.932231.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
So I sprained my ankle really badly at work tonight and I have an interview a week from tomorrow. My ankle is all swollen like a grapefruit and I can barely squeeze my foot into a large, untied sneaker right now. Of course it shouldn't be this bad a week from now, but I'm pretty sure wearing heels all day for the interview is not going to be an option. Any tips on what kind of shoe might be okay?

Do any of you have highlighted/balayage hair? I'm worried about my hair looking high maintenance. I have it dyed light brown with blonde highlights, my natural is dark brown to almost black. I have means to keep it touched up but I don't want to give the wrong idea to adcoms or if they're going to be conservative about this. I am thinking about growing it out to my natural dark brown hair for when I apply next cycle if it is too much... For reference the color is very similar to this chick.. Maybe a little lighter on the base and the highlights.

ImageUploadedBySDN1473084379.338637.jpg

Do any of you have highlighted/balayage hair? I'm worried about my hair looking high maintenance. I have it dyed light brown with blonde highlights, my natural is dark brown to almost black. I have means to keep it touched up but I don't want to give the wrong idea to adcoms or if they're going to be conservative about this. I am thinking about growing it out to my natural dark brown hair for when I apply next cycle if it is too much... For reference the color is very similar to this chick.. Maybe a little lighter on the base and the highlights.

View attachment 208776

My hair is balayage and I actually just got it touched up yesterday so it would look neater/more natural than what it was before. My hair is also very dark brown and it gets almost as blonde as your picture towards the ends. Honestly, as long as the colors are within the natural hair color spectrum (not purple, blue, etc.) and not absurdly contrasting then I think it's totally fine!

I'm really short, like 5 feet tall. Should I wear the highest heels I can manage while still looking professional? I feel like I've read so many things about subconscious biases toward tall people.

View attachment 208776

I saw a person on my interview trail who had the balayage hair and she put it into a neat ponytail and it looks very nice and professional.

I don't understand how "balayage" is different from highlights. It seems like a fairly normal way to wear your hair.

Again, does anybody have any advice on how comfortable/casual I can go with my shoes since I just sprained the hell out my ankle? Really need some help here since I have less than a week to figure it out.