Women's Interview Clothing #3!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm really short, like 5 feet tall. Should I wear the highest heels I can manage while still looking professional? I feel like I've read so many things about subconscious biases toward tall people.

My vote is no! Wear a heel, do not go for a super high heel. Implicit bias is not going to make or break your med school interview. I love very high heels and walk well in them, but you will be on your feet for much of the day, they aren't going to be exceptionally comfortable and they are going to change the way you walk. If you are adept at high heels, great, but they still shift your balance, making it easier for you to trip or totter, and honestly the way to make high heels look natural is to engage your hips, giving you a kind of vampy walk, which you don't want on interview day. I'm 5'5" and I am not the shortest girl in my class by far...

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't understand how "balayage" is different from highlights. It seems like a fairly normal way to wear your hair.

Again, does anybody have any advice on how comfortable/casual I can go with my shoes since I just sprained the hell out my ankle? Really need some help here since I have less than a week to figure it out.

Could you swing something like this:

http://www.naturalizer.com/mobile/productdetail.aspx?p=EC0220040

Maybe get the "wide" as opposed to the default "medium" size of whatever show you order. I wouldn't say to go especially casual with your shoe, pick a flat from a comfortable brand and try to follow the rules for heels (matte black leather is idea, simple as possible, no ballet flats). Go back in this thread and see if any one posted any "approved" flats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand how "balayage" is different from highlights. It seems like a fairly normal way to wear your hair.

Again, does anybody have any advice on how comfortable/casual I can go with my shoes since I just sprained the hell out my ankle? Really need some help here since I have less than a week to figure it out.

Balayage is brushed on freehand with bleach around the hair that frames your face and the underneath part of your hair... Looks more natural and like sun kissed hair, traditional highlights are on top of your roots and uniform. The balayage is usually pulled away from the roots

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Could you swing something like this:

http://www.naturalizer.com/mobile/productdetail.aspx?p=EC0220040

Maybe get the "wide" as opposed to the default "medium" size of whatever show you order. I wouldn't say to go especially casual with your shoe, pick a flat from a comfortable brand and try to follow the rules for heels (matte black leather is idea, simple as possible, no ballet flats). Go back in this thread and see if any one posted any "approved" flats.

Do you think I could wear some kind of slip-on with an open back that looks professional in the front? I don't know if I'll be able to get my heel into even a wide shoe what with all the swelling and the bulky ace bandage. I can barely walk.

Balayage is brushed on freehand with bleach around the hair that frames your face and the underneath part of your hair... Looks more natural and like sun kissed hair, traditional highlights are on top of your roots and uniform. The balayage is usually pulled away from the roots

So... more natural-looking highlights. I don't see how this would be even slightly problematic for an interview. Nobody will notice.

Do you think I could wear some kind of slip-on with an open back that looks professional in the front? I don't know if I'll be able to get my heel into even a wide shoe what with all the swelling and the bulky ace bandage. I can barely walk.

So... more natural-looking highlights. I don't see how this would be even slightly problematic for an interview. Nobody will notice.

I would wait for the adcoms on this one, it's a special case and exceeds me knowledge. I am comfortable giving out advice on "rules", not exceptions. I feel like this is the wrong answer, but my gut if this happened to me would be to wear one professional flat with one like...sleek looking running shoe on the injured foot with an ace wrap so it's clear that it's an injury.

Just do the best you can. Injury will be accommodated.

Reactions: 2 users
Just do the best you can. Injury will be accommodated.

Thanks. Do you think I should mention it to the admissions staff at all when I get there or will it just be obvious since I'll probably still be limping?

Thanks. Do you think I should mention it to the admissions staff at all when I get there or will it just be obvious since I'll probably still be limping?
It would be natural to mention it in passing.

Does anyone know of a good place to get wool pantsuits in petite sizes? Most places seem to sell women's suits in polyester blends only, and the few stores I've found selling wool suits only have regular sizes.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know of a good place to get wool pantsuits in petite sizes? Most places seem to sell women's suits in polyester blends only, and the few stores I've found selling wool suits only have regular sizes.

J crew also has them

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these ok for campus tours?

They look very casual. They're probably OK for the tour, but not what you'd want to be wearing if you run into the dean of admissions while walking around. Something with a bit more structure would be better. See post #4813.

That particular watch has very elegant lines, so it reads much dressier than "casual". That watch would be fine. Most other 'non-dress' watches would not be. For those now angsting - you don't need a watch at all, though glancing at a watch is better than glancing at your cell phone.

I'd like to wear a subtle nail polish to make sure I don't wind up not realizing I have visible dirt under my nails or something. Is this too much? Should I go for a fainter pink?

That pink is still very appropriate. Anything darker is not.

is it definitely bad to wear a patterned blouse under a suit?

Most patterns will be wrong. Something very small, very subtle and very traditional can work -- but if in doubt, don't.

These are the only two purses I have besides a tiny Coach I wouldn't bring because it's covered in logo. Does it look bad to lug around such a big bag? Should I buy something more compact?

Depending on the size, the black could work. But if it's big enough for a beach towel, it's probably too big.

I was planning on going with an ivory shell, but in an effort to do something more interesting I found this gray/silvery shell. Thoughts? Navy suit View attachment 208750

That fabric looks like satin, which would not be appropriate. And greys often aren't the most flattering colors next to the face --

I didn't know Brooks Brothers sold shoes! BB is generally the epitome of business professional, so consider those the 'standard'. Not a bad price either.

So I sprained my ankle really badly at work tonight and I have an interview a week from tomorrow. My ankle is all swollen like a grapefruit and I can barely squeeze my foot into a large, untied sneaker right now. Of course it shouldn't be this bad a week from now, but I'm pretty sure wearing heels all day for the interview is not going to be an option. Any tips on what kind of shoe might be okay?

If your foot still can't fit comfortably into a good-looking normal shoe, rock the medical boot! Then wear a simple black flat on the other foot. Mention your injury in passing and get a free pass on footwear. You kind of need the boot to give it credibility.

Is there any sort of consensus regarding wearing hair up or down?

Any style that is relatively simple, out of your face, tidy, and kind of 'low maintenance' looking. The tight 'librarian bun' can look too severe; but a 'messy bun' isn't right if it's truly 'messy' either -- which makes 'up' sometimes a fine line to walk. Half-up is generally both safe and professional.

I'm really short, like 5 feet tall. Should I wear the highest heels I can manage while still looking professional? I feel like I've read so many things about subconscious biases toward tall people.

No! Then you'd look both short and silly - perhaps even like you're trying to compensate. The most important things to remember are posture and energy. Good posture makes anyone look taller, more capable and more confident. And surely you've met a smaller person who just radiates energy and leadership? Be that person.

Reactions: 3 users
If your foot still can't fit comfortably into a good-looking normal shoe, rock the medical boot! Then wear a simple black flat on the other foot. Mention your injury in passing and get a free pass on footwear. You kind of need the boot to give it credibility.

They didn't give me a boot. Apparently the medical advice is that too much immobility is bad. I'm supposed to use it as little as possible for the first 72 hours, then keep it in an ace bandage for another couple of weeks while doing mild exercises to get my strength and stability back. Who even knows how long my ankle/foot will stay huge and purple like this.

They didn't give me a boot. Apparently the medical advice is that too much immobility is bad. I'm supposed to use it as little as possible for the first 72 hours, then keep it in an ace bandage for another couple of weeks while doing mild exercises to get my strength and stability back. Who even knows how long my ankle/foot will stay huge and purple like this.

Get thee to CVS anyway -- An ankle boot excuses bad shoes.

Sorry if this has been addressed but there are too many pages to look through. I am small - 5'1" and ~100lbs. I have not been able to find business clothes that fit anywhere. Any recommendations? I am also very young looking.

Sorry if this has been addressed but there are too many pages to look through. I am small - 5'1" and ~100lbs. I have not been able to find business clothes that fit anywhere. Any recommendations? I am also very young looking.

I've had some luck at J Crew and Ann Taylor

My best luck was at The Limited and Nordstroms. When at Nordstroms, they will recommend their petites which was a perfect fit for me. They also offer in house tailoring (and they are very nice and helpful overall).

My best luck was at The Limited and Nordstroms. When at Nordstroms, they will recommend their petites which was a perfect fit for me. They also offer in house tailoring (and they are very nice and helpful overall).

ahh, Nordstroms! I remember when I lived near a Nordstroms. They're also a good bet-do they still do free alterations?

ahh, Nordstroms! I remember when I lived near a Nordstroms. They're also a good bet-do they still do free alterations?

I think they do on most full priced items if you have the receipt, even if you bought it online!! I'm sure there are some things that cost to be altered but I didn't run into that problem (thank goodness since my wallet is already begging me to stop)

I think they do on most full priced items if you have the receipt, even if you bought it online!! I'm sure there are some things that cost to be altered but I didn't run into that problem (thank goodness since my wallet is already begging me to stop)

They've been telling us that NYC will get a Nordstrom for years, but it still hasn't happened :cryi:

@DokterMom My parents seem to think the BB shoes are too high...thoughts? (I'm 5'2" if that is relevant)

I don't think they are too high. 3" is probably as high as you would want to go for this occasion. Any higher would verge on too-high but I think these are just right. I wish I had seen these when I was interview shoe shopping.

@DokterMom My parents seem to think the BB shoes are too high...thoughts? (I'm 5'2" if that is relevant)

I don't think they are too high. 3" is probably as high as you would want to go for this occasion. Any higher would verge on too-high but I think these are just right. I wish I had seen these when I was interview shoe shopping.

I disagree with your parents and agree completely with @ifnotnowwren -- They're Brooks Brothers for heaven's sake! ;) That's kind of the definition of good taste for business.

The one semi-exception might be if you wear a size 5 shoe or something really small. The proportions of a 3" heel on a size 5 shoe are different from a 3" heel on a size 9 shoe. But still -- 3" really isn't high.

You won't look natural or authentic in 'granny' shoes and you'll have to work a lot harder and spend a lot more to find a shoe that doesn't look 'granny' in a much shorter heel.

Do any of you have highlighted/balayage hair? I'm worried about my hair looking high maintenance. I have it dyed light brown with blonde highlights, my natural is dark brown to almost black. I have means to keep it touched up but I don't want to give the wrong idea to adcoms or if they're going to be conservative about this. I am thinking about growing it out to my natural dark brown hair for when I apply next cycle if it is too much... For reference the color is very similar to this chick.. Maybe a little lighter on the base and the highlights.

View attachment 208776

Also I think if you wear your hair up people can't really tell either or rather it's not as noticeable.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Would wearing subtle fake lashes be okay for an interview? I have short and sparse eyelashes naturally and it would give me a confidence boost.

Something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ee/d5/6b/eed56bb74a94dfd51ef2a0ae769c910c.jpg

If you've had practice in applying lashes, selecting ones that look natural/subtle, and have confidence that they will not come unglued mid-day, I don't see why not. I would ask a friend or family member that can be trusted to be honest how they look one day though.

so i want to stand out but not be too obvious.. i bought a pink blazer at J crew and apparently they are very popular and in style in the business world.. i would wear it with a black dress underneath and black shoes.. but i do have blonde hair so i dont want to fit the "legally blonde" stereotype.. thoughts?

I have a pair of thicker heel pumps, but they're very low. Do they look too grannyish/informal? http://m.zappos.com/trotters-candel...ather?ef_id=V85Q-gAABai6g9i4:20160906051542:s

Those are appropriate, but for me (a vertically-challenged person who is more comfortable in heels), would be 'pushing granny'. They're not informal.

Would wearing subtle fake lashes be okay for an interview? I have short and sparse eyelashes naturally and it would give me a confidence boost.

High risk, since a 'lash malfunction' would be a BIG problem. But if you're skilled at applying and wearing them, are confident you can make it through the day 'intact' and they don't look fake, they'd be OK. If your interviewer can tell you're wearing fake lashes, it won't work in your favor.

so i want to stand out but not be too obvious.. i bought a pink blazer at J crew and apparently they are very popular and in style in the business world.. i would wear it with a black dress underneath and black shoes.. but i do have blonde hair so i dont want to fit the "legally blonde" stereotype.. thoughts?

If you don't want to look "Legally Blonde" then don't wear the pink. A pink blazer in that circumstance will just beg that stereotype.

Please don't do that to yourself.

Interview dress is not business casual. That outfit sounds like it would be perfect for a social function associated with the college or even a "professional dress" day, however, it is not appropriate for an interview.

In other news - my exam is over, and I have been piecing together a post for the new thread, I will have it up sometime this week. If anyone has submissions/thoughts/bits of wisdom they would like included in the general "rules"/guidelines post, feel free to PM me. This will be a fluid document, so if there is disagreement, contention, or additions after I post it, I will be updating it regularly.

Interview dress is not business casual. That outfit sounds like it would be perfect for a social function associated with the college or even a "professional dress" day, however, it is not appropriate for an interview.

In other news - my exam is over, and I have been piecing together a post for the new thread, I will have it up sometime this week. If anyone has submissions/thoughts/bits of wisdom they would like included in the general "rules"/guidelines post, feel free to PM me. This will be a fluid document, so if there is disagreement, contention, or additions after I post it, I will be updating it regularly.

Thanks! -- I've put most of my suggestions here -- post #4. That may save you some time ;)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/womens-interview-clothing.1082451/#post-15408624

I wore a knee high walking boot/air cast under my suit pants to an interview, and no one even mentioned it. As long as you look moderately normal, I'm sure no one will notice or hold it against you. Also, I know you weren't given an ankle boot, but if you're going to be doing a lot of walking, you might be wishing you had one. I was on the fence and was really grateful I wore it anyway.

Similar thing happened to me at school and they didn't give me a boot, but I called my doctor after 3-4 days of struggling to walk across campus because in any of my shoes and he gave me one right away. Just explain that you will be going on campus tours during interviews and it would really help to have something more comfortable to walk in and tell them you'll only use it for interviews. The boots they'll give you in a medical office are much better for you than any you'll find at CVS or Walgreen's.

Thoughts on these shoes in black? And what about a striped button up? It's gray and white (my suit is charcoal) long sleeve, fabric like a nice men's shirt.
http://m.macys.com/shop/product/vin...d=456x101831&gclid=CP2i2MDH_s4CFYQkhgodoGYKsA

Those are beautiful shoes but probably have a little too much sex appeal for this occasion. High and spiky. My interview show had a pointed toe but the heel height was far lower. Now, I wore a similar shoe to the one you posted to my white coat ceremony (labeled a business casual affair) with a very tasteful dress. But you'd better believe I was rocking conservative politician with weak ankles on interview day.

More like this:
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/88/6e/46/886e46eed153c8e1b7de4fdc0207e419.jpg

A striped button down should be fine as long as the stripes are very thin and vertical.

Reactions: 3 users
Where is a suit jacket supposed to hit you at? On the hip? I'm 5'1" and the more fashion cut suits seem to look right and more proportioned, but the business cut suits all look too long in the jacket, and make me look like I'm wearing a very short skirt even though it hits me at the knees. The proportions look all off. Any suggestions?

Where is a suit jacket supposed to hit you at? On the hip? I'm 5'1" and the more fashion cut suits seem to look right and more proportioned, but the business cut suits all look too long in the jacket, and make me look like I'm wearing a very short skirt even though it hits me at the knees. The proportions look all off. Any suggestions?

Have you checked out the petite departments of the places you are shopping?

Any advice what to wear with a meet and greet dinner with only students the night before an interview? They say it's casual so I was thinking just like slacks and a blouse?

Last edited:
So I have a really nice below the knee dress that's very professional. However, it doesn't totally cover my shoulders. It's not like a tank top dress by any means, maybe a little more than a full hand width across. Should I plan to wear like a sweater or jacket over it?

Any advice what to wear with a meet and greet dinner with only students the nught before an interview? They say it's casual so I was thinking just like slacks and a blouse?

That should be fine. I did something similar for the same occasion but added a blazer and felt very sharp. The next day some of my interviewers ended up being people who had been at the dinner the night before and I was very glad I had looked professional.