With these mistakes could I still pass Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmycburkitt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I gave my Step 2 CS not too long ago and boy did I make a ton of mistakes. My first 2 cases were a total blur as I was so nervous. On the very first case, I was still holding the reflex hammer when they said "this encounter is now over." I didn't get to summarize or counsel or have any form of closure. On my next case, as I was still worried about the first one, while writing my note, I was only able to fill in the DDX section but left the plan completely blank. Also, there were multiple cases where I didn't summarize the HPI and PE findings for the patient as well as several that I forgot to counsel about smoking cessation. I did do the basic things in every room like knock, good eye contact, drape the patient and wash my hands. I had 12 cases. Does anyone know if they drop the lowest 2 encounters or do they just randomly choose 2 cases to drop? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody makes mistakes on this test. I know, I made my fare share of them. I still don't know how I passed this god forsaken exam. It seems that some of the mistakes you made would count in the CIS, others in the ICE; so you didn't screw up in any one section repeatedly.

I wasn't able to close on at least 2 patients, b/c I ran out of time. My notes had all sorts of stuff missing (I consistently forgot to write down signs that I found during the PE). I forgot to ask permission to untie a pt's gown. The list goes on, honestly I was so nervous that I was on auto-pilot--I probably can't even remember half the mistakes I made.

I've heard different things about which cases they grade, but its mostly rumors. Some say they drop your 2 lowest, others say there are 2 experimental cases (you don't know which). Honestly, I don't really know. Unless your see it on the USMLE website, I wouldn't put much stock in it.

Nobody can tell you for sure you passed except the NBME. Odds are still in your favor. 98% pass (first attempt and repeaters too).

Good luck, and try not to worry.

I thought I failed Step 2 CS for similar reasons. This notion caused intense terror for weeks. Thankfully, I passed.

From what you've stated, I think you have indeed passed (although of course I cannot give you an answer). This is just the impression I get, as a similarly-minded hyper-analytical, neurotic person.

Please see earlier posts:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6280505

Oh yeah, and I made WAY more mistakes than those listed -- I didn't even mention the actual medical component in my post, just discussed my "communication" errors!

I'm in the same boat as you, recently took the exam and am not sure i passed....here's a small list of my mess ups....on dizziness patient, didn't do heart exam, romberg, gait, ophtho exam...didn't warn her about babinski being painful, ddin't instruct properly about couple of other neuro manuevers..on knee pain lady, didn't exam mouth for oral ulcers, didn't do abd exam,d dint' write pelvic exam in workup..didnt' exam other extremities and poorly examined the knee while pressing on the painful area.....didn't warn one guy i was going to shine light in his eye....asked only one person about sexual activity, counseled only a few pateints on smoking, only asked chest painer about diet and exercise... did a very poor mmse, did'nt empathize with my psych guy, didn't do head and neck exam on people who had dyspnea and cough....didn't ask several questions on history....left 2 encounters before 5 minute warning, was counseling two others at 5 minutes and left every other encounter atleast 2 min early....used medical jargon a couple of times..looked at the clock when patient was talking in two encounters....the list goes on and on...im' just banking on this 98%...my hx was decent, note was decent...did the usual knocking, draping, asking permission, retieing, etc....we'll see....any thoughts