William Carey University - COM Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?
yeah, the part of florida makes a difference. i doubt you'd want to drive from the keys ;).

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview Oct. 19th - Congrats everyone! Where are all you other 10/19 guys from?

I am from Tennessee, bout an 8 hour drive down for me. Is anyone bringing a family member? I know they gave the option....

Naw, wife can't get off work. The 3 kids would love the day away from daycare but not sure how they'd feel about that one, ha. I'm in Jackson, MS.

I am almost 11.5 hours drive. Does it make sense to drive or take a flight?
thanks

I am almost 11.5 hours drive. Does it make sense to drive or take a flight?
thanks
fly into a cheaper airport (new orleans [msy], jackson [jan], and gulfport [gpt] come to mind) and rent a car and drive from the airport. these airports are up to 2 hours away. do check the cost of flying into hattiesburg (pib) though, because when you add in the cost of renting a car and the time spent, you may find it works out better just to fly into hattiesburg anyway.

also, i'm a current student at wcu-com. so hi! hope y'all don't mind me hanging out around here. :)

Interview Oct. 19th - Congrats everyone! Where are all you other 10/19 guys from?

I am from Tennessee, bout an 8 hour drive down for me. Is anyone bringing a family member? I know they gave the option....

I'm coming from New Orleans, LA by myself. Does anybody know how long the actual interview lasts?

Last edited:
You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?

coming from orlando =)

seems cheaper to land at the little airport near hattiesburg.. the one in laurel i think
i called the cab company there (yellow taxi cab or something like that) and they said its a flat rate of 35$ to go from the airport to hattiesburg... and for travels within the city its 5$ for the first mile and 2.50$ every mile after that... hope this helps some of you =)

anyone get an interview for November 2nd?

fly into a cheaper airport (new orleans [msy], jackson [jan], and gulfport [gpt] come to mind) and rent a car and drive from the airport. these airports are up to 2 hours away. do check the cost of flying into hattiesburg (pib) though, because when you add in the cost of renting a car and the time spent, you may find it works out better just to fly into hattiesburg anyway.

also, i'm a current student at wcu-com. so hi! hope y'all don't mind me hanging out around here. :)
The Poet Sings, thanks for the input. You are a great help and your presence in the forum is a great help. i will do a bit research and then take a decision. I was also thinking that driving almost 12 hours is not a good idea.
The airport codes are a great help. You made things simple now.
Thanks again.

I'm coming from New Orleans, LA by myself. Does anybody know how long the actual interview lasts?

The email said be there at 1030am and be prepared to stay til 4pm, but surely they won't tie you down and probe your brain the entire time. I'm absolutely no help.

Any of you applied/interviewed anywhere else?

10/19 here...North Alabama

Look forward to seeing you guys there!

-Tyler

I recieved an Interview for November 3rd, anyone else?

Also, Im from the Hattiesburg area so anyone that needs any advice/directions/input feel free to let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recieved an Interview for November 3rd, anyone else?

Also, Im from the Hattiesburg area so anyone that needs any advice/directions/input feel free to let me know.

totally irrelevant, but... where can i get some good cupcakes around here? anyone reading this that knows me will immediately figure out who i am from this question hahahaha.
and congrats on the interview!

totally irrelevant, but... where can i get some good cupcakes around here? anyone reading this that knows me will immediately figure out who i am from this question hahahaha.
and congrats on the interview!

Well, glad you asked... Obviously my mother-in-law makes the best cupcakes, but seeing as those cupcakes aren't available to the public I suggest Cest La Vie Bakery on Hardy Street, or for another "cool" treat why not get an ice-cream cupcake from Cold Stone Creamery also on Hardy.

Anyway... Thanks for your congratulations.

...now I want a cupcake..

Last edited:
me too :( i never heard from them. you guys think we should call and ask them what's going on?

I called a few days ago and the lady there told me that although the college information book says that secondaries are sent to everyone, they are only sending them to students from MS right now. It will then expand slowly to states bordering MS and others throughout the south. So that's why most of us haven't heard anything.

Well, glad you asked... Obviously my mother-in-law makes the best cupcakes, but seeing as those cupcakes aren't available to the public I suggest Cest La Vie Bakery on Hardy Street, or for another "cool" treat why not get an ice-cream cupcake from Cold Stone Creamery also on Hardy.

Anyway... Thanks for your congratulations.

...now I want a cupcake..

Bop's is great, too, for ice-cream type things. Hattiesburg has far too many places to eat to be a town this size.

Interviewed today... I was highly impressed with the facilities, faculty and students. The interview went smoothly. Good luck to those that have interviewed and will interview!

Congrats!....time to take a breath. What was the format of the interview(s)? Any clues on when you would hear from them about a verdict?

Format of the interview is three-on-one (one basic science faculty, Associate Dean of admissions, physician). It appeared that the Associate Dean had my file open and was asking questions from it. The two others were asking standardized questions, but it appeared that they had not read my file.

They said that we could hear back as early as today. I'm not really sure when we'll hear.

So, ever since I got their secondary, I was in love with how painless the school makes the application process... but now, I'm invited for an interview in Nov.!! My hubby has family about an hr from Hattiesburg, MS so we're very excited!!!

All the best, everyone!!:D

So, ever since I got their secondary, I was in love with how painless the school makes the application process... but now, I'm invited for an interview in Nov.!! My hubby has family about an hr from Hattiesburg, MS so we're very excited!!!

All the best, everyone!!:D

Good luck!

Last edited:
Good luck! The turnaround time was very quick for us to know our decisions. I got the call today that I was accepted.

Lucky guy! Congrats. I know that's a huge feeling. Hope I get to feel it soon. Interview next Tues. Good luck to all.

The school is beautiful, the facilities are incredible, and the students are all so nice and welcoming.

It's so nice to hear that they inform you of your acceptance rather quick!

I tried to resist, but I ended up telling my lil' sis (in-law) that there's a possibility my hubby and I will be living so close to them...she is beyond excited.... my mom(in-law) is just as thrilled

From what I've researched, the school is impressive with its facilities, has amazing faculty and staff! It would be to be sooo close to family and friends, and the possibility of us starting a family of our own where there's a great support system for us. I've spent many summers, and weeks in Picayune, MS and loved it. I just really don't want to destroy the interview due to my nerves...I feel like there's a lot more riding on me to do well on the interview!:eek:
I contacted Ms. Bennett on how to prepare for the interview and she gave great tips about reviewing my files, do any of ya'll have any specific suggestions regarding the interview? I'm so nervous because I want this school so badly! :love:

Last edited:
It's so nice to hear that they inform you of your acceptance rather quick!

I tried to resist, but I ended up telling my lil' sis (in-law) that there's a possibility my hubby and I will be living so close to them...she is beyond excited.... my mom(in-law) is just as thrilled, saying how we can give her a grandbby in a couple of yrs, lol.
From what I've researched, the school is impressive with its facilities, has amazing faculty and staff!
I couldn't sleep last night, thinking about how great it would be to be sooo close to family and friends, and the possibility of us starting a family of our own where there's a great support system for us. I've spent many summers, and weeks in Picayune, MS and loved it. I just really don't want to destroy the interview due to my nerves...I feel like there's a lot more riding on me to do well on the interview!:eek:
I contacted Ms. Bennett on how to prepare for the interview and she gave great tips about reviewing my files, do any of ya'll have any specific suggestions regarding the interview? I'm so nervous because I want this school so badly! :love:

What did Ms. Bennett tell you about preparing if you don't mind me asking? I have been reading the interview feedback and articles on SDN and that is about it. I am just going to try to stay as relaxed as possible (which is going to be really hard!).

I interviewed on Tuesday and then got a call from Dr. Murphy ( Dean of College of Medicine) Wednesday around 4pm while I was enjoying my 10 hour drive home!

There were 6 of us on Tuesday and all happened to have a first name that started with a J :). Interviews started after lunch around 1pm and lasted till a little after 4. I went 5th and had a significantly longer interview then the others. I mean 40 minutes instead of 20-30, which I consider 10 to 20 more minutes of talking to be a lot.

I had a relatively difficult ethics question in comparison to ones I've been told they have asked. I don't think all 6 of us had an ethics question. They asked a lot of questions, but you just need to smile and give concise, intelligent answers that show your character.

I wish everything was finished being built, so I would have left with an accurate image of everything. We did not get to go into the anatomy lab due to privacy issues, but at a quick glance it seemed well done. They have a mock clinic, which may serve as a real student clinic in the future I think, and two simulator rooms. The simulators were not in yet. I can't imagine anything not being complete by next summer.

Don't stress to much and end up sounding like a robot answering questions. You should already be intimately familiar with your application- it's your life :). I am really objective, so feel free to ask questions or PM me.

I interviewed on Tuesday and then got a call from Dr. Murphy ( Dean of College of Medicine) Wednesday around 4pm while I was enjoying my 10 hour drive home!

There were 6 of us on Tuesday and all happened to have a first name that started with a J :). Interviews started after lunch around 1pm and lasted till a little after 4. I went 5th and had a significantly longer interview then the others. I mean 40 minutes instead of 20-30, which I consider 10 to 20 more minutes of talking to be a lot.

I had a relatively difficult ethics question in comparison to ones I've been told they have asked. I don't think all 6 of us had an ethics question. They asked a lot of questions, but you just need to smile and give concise, intelligent answers that show your character.

I wish everything was finished being built, so I would have left with an accurate image of everything. We did not get to go into the anatomy lab due to privacy issues, but at a quick glance it seemed well done. They have a mock clinic, which may serve as a real student clinic in the future I think, and two simulator rooms. The simulators were not in yet. I can't imagine anything not being complete by next summer.

Don't stress to much and end up sounding like a robot answering questions. You should already be intimately familiar with your application- it's your life :). I am really objective, so feel free to ask questions or PM me.

Hey! I think I saw u that day (I'm guessing i'm right from your post).
Congrats!
I'm one of the short Asian girls u saw in the lobby in my stinky lab coat in the hallway.
Just came in here to see if anyone had questions, and noticed your post,
and wanted to congratulate u!

I think our third building will be completed by December,
so if u wanted to see the final building I'm sure u could come visit then.
We don't get out for break until the 22nd of December anyway. :)

Our deans are great. All the professors are very approachable.
And u guys may have it somewhat easier than us since u guys will have US in addition to all the great faculty and staff next year. :)

So far there is no one in our class that's turned me down when I asked for help. Everyone helps each other out here.

Dr. Murphy (our Dean and Vice-President of WCU-COM) emphasized during our orientation week that they chose us for our grades and heart(personality).

So for all of u that have interviews next week,
just let your great personality shine and don't be nervous.
They are all very nice and will make u feel very comfortable. :)

As for the anatomy lab, u will be half-living there next year,
so don't feel too sad about not being able to see it this time around. :)

Our deans are great. All the professors are very approachable.
And u guys may have it somewhat easier than us since u guys will have US in addition to all the great faculty and staff next year. :)

So far there is no one in our class that's turned me down when I asked for help. Everyone helps each other out here.

Dr. Murphy (our Dean and Vice-President of WCU-COM) emphasized during our orientation week that they chose us for our grades and heart(personality).

So for all of u that have interviews next week,
just let your great personality shine and don't be nervous.
They are all very nice and will make u feel very comfortable. :)

As for the anatomy lab, u will be half-living there next year,
so don't feel too sad about not being able to see it this time around. :)

I second this!

What did Ms. Bennett tell you about preparing if you don't mind me asking? I have been reading the interview feedback and articles on SDN and that is about it. I am just going to try to stay as relaxed as possible (which is going to be really hard!).

She just told me to be familiar with my application and be myself. I also asked if I needed to bring anything like a CV, and she said nothing was needed unless I wanted to bring extra documentation. :)

Oh question for those that were down there recently,

Is there a reasonably priced hotel in Hattiesburg, MS? It seems my hubby and I'll be driving (6.5hrs) on Mon night(9pm) because I have a lab practical before then annnd I have a test on the day after my interview, so we'll be heading bk right after...no time to really sightsee or visit fam. :(

Last edited:
Google, Bing, or otherwise search the intersection of I-59 (exit 65, I think) and Hardy St/MS Rte 98. Hotels clustered there are the most convenient to WCU-COM and are all moderately priced.

She just told me to be familiar with my application and be myself. I also asked if I needed to bring anything like a CV, and she said nothing was needed unless I wanted to bring extra documentation. :)

Oh question for those that were down there recently,

Is there a reasonably priced hotel in Hattiesburg, MS? It seems my hubby and I'll be driving (6.5hrs) on Mon night(9pm) because I have a lab practical before then annnd I have a test on the day after my interview, so we'll be heading bk right after...no time to really sightsee or visit fam. :(

Thank you for the reply. Also, I had e-mailed Ms. Bennett and asked her if they had any suggestions for hotels in the area. The cheapest on the list she gave me was Days Inn.

I just withdrew my application, so I hope it opens it up for someone. I had an interview scheduled for 11/03/2010.

Good luck guys!

Google, Bing, or otherwise search the intersection of I-59 (exit 65, I think) and Hardy St/MS Rte 98. Hotels clustered there are the most convenient to WCU-COM and are all moderately priced.
:thumbup:

That helped alot! :D Thanks!!!

hey guys..2 things:

1) I recommend the microtel in hattiesburg. It was around 80$ to book(which was far cheaper than most others), about 4 miles from campus, and extremely nice.

2) The interview was excellent. Everything about the school was amazing. The faculty, the students, and the facilities were absolutely everything you could hope for. Interview was pretty short and sweet. No curve balls.

Hope to know something within a few days (they're meeting on Friday)

Good luck!

-Tyler

I got in!!!!!! Just got the call I am so happy.:D William Carey is an awesome school good luck to everybody who is still waiting.

Not much discussion going on, so I'll add that I was recently accepted. I will most likely choose this school over the others.

Yeah, I noticed there wasn't much conversation on here either. Anyway, for those interested I went ahead and created a WCU COM Class of 2015 group page for those that have been accepted and are either decided or contemplating WCU COM. I'm hardly ever on facebook but I would like to meet my future classmates. Anyway check it out... I know that the current students use their facebook group page to do a lot of communicating.

Anyone know when they might start sending secondary applications to people outside of the Southeast region? I applied back in June, and was wondering if I'm going to get a secondary app at all? I'm from California, currently doing a DO SMP in Nevada.

I would call the school and ask. Did you write about ties to the south in your secondary? that would help a lot imo.

I would definitely call the school. The staff is really nice and it would show your interest and give you a chance to make a good impression.

I'll be interviewing on 11/16. Driving from North Arkansas on Monday. I look forward to meeting folks and seeing the campus. Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences so far.

How long did it take for y'all to be complete after submitting your secondary?

I was notified pretty quickly.. About a week after submission of my secondary, as soon as they received my LORs, they emailed me an interview invite. I found out the day after my interview..

Every case might be different but that was my experience.

I'm an in state student so I don't know if the time frame would differ from an out of state student.

Interview invite for 12/14! I'm impressed with how quick they got to my secondary!