William Carey University - COM Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was released on 7/15 and received a secondary from them on 7/30 so it did take about two weeks. However, if it has been several weeks you may need to call. They may just be really busy with more applications streaming in, but it is always a good idea to check.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my secondary sent in! Has anyone been able to set up an interview yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, before receiving your secondary, did you guys receive acknowledgement of you primaries? Does this school screen? I've heard nada from this school.....:( and I've been verified since about 8/9 and released on 8/12

Hey guys, before receiving your secondary, did you guys receive acknowledgement of you primaries? Does this school screen? I've heard nada from this school.....:( and I've been verified since about 8/9 and released on 8/12

I never received confirmation that my primary was received, I don't think. I just got the email to complete the secondary, and completed it. I didn't receive notification that that was received either.

William Carey just started its first class last week, so if it seems that things are running a little bit slow there with the secondaries then I am sure that is the reason. I submitted my application and was verified back in June, but did not receive a secondary until August - the good news is that I just got delivery confirmation on it!

Calling tomorrow to make sure that my file is complete, sure is exciting. I have been waiting to make this phone call for a looong time.

hi there,

would anybody know last year's matriculating average GPA and MCAT for William Carey?

Has anybody heard when WCU-COM plans to begin interviewing or handing out invitations to interview?

I sure haven't. I was actually just wondering if anyone had called the school to ask if they were complete and when interviews might be starting? And who would you call to ask?

I did not receive secondary et.
I sent my primary in June. DO they screen?

hi there,

would anybody know last year's matriculating average GPA and MCAT for William Carey?

If you search through last year's thread on WCU, you can find those stats. I don't remember the page it is on, but it is near the end. Hope this helps.

I did not receive secondary et.
I sent my primary in June. DO they screen?

Your best bet is going to be to call and ask about a secondary. Where are you from?

I am a current OMS-1 here at WCU-COM. Someone asked about the "class profile" we heard all about it at orientation. From what I can recall from memory:

Avg class age: 26
Avg GPA: ~3.5
Avg MCAT: ~25
110 total students, about half from MS (46 is popping in my head), significant amounts from FL, LA, AL, TN, AR.. and some from all over (ie WV, CA, AZ, NY, IN)

That is if my memory serves me right... i know they are close to those numbers

We are a very diverse class.

Quick breakdown of thoughts:

The Faculty/Staff are some of the most amazing people who I feel are genuinely invested in my becoming not only the best D.O., but the best PHYSICIAN out there. A lot of the professors sit in on each other's lectures so they can understand what is going on and what we are dealing with in each class. Dr. Murphy (the Dean) has been in multiple classes including our Gross Anatomy lab to check on us and just see how we are doing. So for Faculty/Staff- A+

Being a new school has its pro's and con's. Pro's amazing facilities, the most technologically advanced and clean equipment. State of the art rooms and OP&P tables and clinical practice areas and study rooms. Con's are the fact that everything isn't finished, yet, and that there are obvious kinks to work out in scheduling and certain rules and regulations. There is no 2nd year class to get the low down on everything from.

The city of Hattiesburg, although I am from only 30 minutes away, is actually not that bad. I hated Hattiesburg growing up, but now that I have been living here for a little while, it has everything you NEED, and pretty much anything you could want. New Orleans and the Coast are within 2 hours as well as Jackson, MS. So you can travel relatively easy.

The classwork is immense and intensive. Taking Histo, Embro/Gen, Gross Anatomy, OP&P, ICCBM, Physical Diagnosis all the first semester, but the professors are great so far, and seem pretty fair, SO FAR! ha.

So that is my brief overview right now, get in contact if you have any questions.

I see some of you are wondering if you should call or not, GO AHEAD. Emily Bennett is one of the nicest and most accomodating people you will ever talk to; she helped me every step of the way last year.

Good Luck hope to have you here next year.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current OMS-1 here at WCU-COM. Someone asked about the "class profile" we heard all about it at orientation. From what I can recall from memory:

110 total students, about half from MS (46 is popping in my head), significant amounts from FL, LA, AL, TN, AR.. and some from all over (ie WV, CA, AZ, NY, IN)

The Faculty/Staff are some of the most amazing people who I feel are genuinely invested in my becoming not only the best D.O., but the best PHYSICIAN out there. A lot of the professors sit in on each other's lectures so they can understand what is going on and what we are dealing with in each class. Dr. Murphy (the Dean) has been in multiple classes including our Gross Anatomy lab to check on us and just see how we are doing. So for Faculty/Staff- A+

Being a new school has its pro's and con's. Pro's amazing facilities, the most technologically advanced and clean equipment. State of the art rooms and OP&P tables and clinical practice areas and study rooms. Con's are the fact that everything isn't finished, yet, and that there are obvious kinks to work out in scheduling and certain rules and regulations. There is no 2nd year class to get the low down on everything from.

The city of Hattiesburg, although I am from only 30 minutes away, is actually not that bad. I hated Hattiesburg growing up, but now that I have been living here for a little while, it has everything you NEED, and pretty much anything you could want. New Orleans and the Coast are within 2 hours as well as Jackson, MS. So you can travel relatively easy.

The classwork is immense and intensive. Taking Histo, Embro/Gen, Gross Anatomy, OP&P, ICCBM, Physical Diagnosis all the first semester, but the professors are great so far, and seem pretty fair, SO FAR! ha.

So that is my brief overview right now, get in contact if you have any questions.

I see some of you are wondering if you should call or not, GO AHEAD. Emily Bennett is one of the nicest and most accomodating people you will ever talk to; she helped me every step of the way last year.

Thansk DrDawg for the great info.

Primary applications are being reviewed this year for a secondary application. If you haven't received one already, don't worry. Files are being reviewed on the basis of location, starting with the southern region of the U.S. since the south is the targeted area of WCU-COM. It is expected that applications from other states will start being reviewed within the next two weeks. WCU-COM's plan is to start interviewing towards the end of September or early October. Hope this helps some of you. Good Luck! :)

Primary applications are being reviewed this year for a secondary application. If you haven't received one already, don't worry. Files are being reviewed on the basis of location, starting with the southern region of the U.S. since the south is the targeted area of WCU-COM. It is expected that applications from other states will start being reviewed within the next two weeks. WCU-COM's plan is to start interviewing towards the end of September or early October. Hope this helps some of you. Good Luck! :)
Great. so we should start hearing good news about interviews shortly

These stats are high for a new school. I am kind of skeptical about these high stats.

These stats are high for a new school. I am kind of skeptical about these high stats.

I can see it happening for a school in this region. Neither MS nor AL have anywhere near enough seats for qualified applicants (i.e. applicants with >26,3.5). And a lot of us really want to stay in the Southeast.

I can see it happening for a school in this region. Neither MS nor AL have anywhere near enough seats for qualified applicants (i.e. applicants with >26,3.5). And a lot of us really want to stay in the Southeast.

Hopefully preference will be given to those of us from one of those two states, though, even if we're not quite at their averages. I definitely want to stay in the state I'm from.

Anyone heard anything yet? I am wondering if this will be the week I hear something from William Carey.

was released on 8/12 and still havent heard anything from here. im thinking im gonna call tommorow and see whats up cause its been over a month lol.

i was released 6/13 and still nothing from these guys...

wth is going on??? they are the only school i havent heard from, out of the 14 I applied to.

i was released 6/13 and still nothing from these guys...

wth is going on??? they are the only school i havent heard from, out of the 14 I applied to.
me too. I e-mailed them and they told me that they would review my application within the the next two weeks( still haven't heard from them). I guess this school screens primaries more than others....

I haven't heard anything since...

Released 6/30

Secondary 7/30

I got a receipt from them on the first few days of Aug for my deposit.

Nothing since.

me too. I e-mailed them and they told me that they would review my application within the the next two weeks( still haven't heard from them). I guess this school screens primaries more than others....

except according to the CIB, they don't screen AT ALL and send the secondary to everyone

I just hope all this screening dosen't backfire on them.

hey guys!

i'm currently attending WCU-COM
and so far love my school - they just picked a great group.
Great faculty and awesome classmates.

i heard from Ms. Emily Bennett that interviews should be starting late this month (Sept).

so i think all of u will be hearing pretty soon.

:)

I got an interview invite today for October 12th. Invite came via email around 4pm.

Anyone else receive an invite?

I got an interview invite today for October 12th. Invite came via email around 4pm.

Anyone else receive an invite?
are you from MS or out of state candidate?

Figured I'd add my experience. Had my primary in sometime in June, verified first week of July, haven't heard anything since. I have 7 interviews elsewhere and my stats/ECs are decent, so I hope it's not a screening issue, but I'm OOS, so I'm guessing they are releasing secondaries state by state and my state hasn't been called yet. Hopefully that helps someone. It sounds like an awesome school and I have a friend from my state who goes there and loves it. Can't wait to get a secondary.... please?

iamdo, I am from Alabama, so OOS.

They do have a regional preference, but I doubt that would prevent a good candidate outside of the south from interviewing.

Does anyone know what the interview format is like at William Carey? The feedback page indicates that most of them are "in a group." Not exactly sure if that meant "several interviewers to one interviewee" or "interviewing with your group of peers together."

thanks!

Does anyone know what the interview format is like at William Carey? The feedback page indicates that most of them are "in a group." Not exactly sure if that meant "several interviewers to one interviewee" or "interviewing with your group of peers together."

thanks!
when i had mine (i'm a current student) i had 3 interviewers and was the only interviewee. so it was a group of them, not a groups of us. first all 4 of us interviewees had an introduction to the school and got to ask our questions, and then we waited our turn to get called in for the interview.

Just received an interview invite for October 19, anyone else?

I promised myself I wouldn't get on here and do this...but just too excited..

Got an interview for Oct 19!!! What a great week. Opening weekend of bow season followed by my first med school interview! :thumbup:

Congratulations to both of you! and everyone else who has gotten interviews as well. Has anyone interviewed at the school already and have anymore feedback for us about the experience?

In case anyone was wondering, an e-mail was sent to the students that mentioned about interviews beginning on Oct 5th with student involvement. Also, over 850 applications have been received. Good luck!

Last edited:
congrats! does anyone know approximately how many interviewees will be there per day?

also, anyone know the format? closed file, open file?

Received interview invited today 9.28.2010 via email. Whoohoo!

:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

so i received an interview on Nov. 2nd.... i live in florida, do any of you know the best way to get to hattiesburg?:confused:

so i received an interview on Nov. 2nd.... i live in florida, do any of you know the best way to get to hattiesburg?:confused:

You will most likely come through Mobile, Al and take 98W all the way to Hattiesburg. What part of Florida?

Interview Oct. 19th - Congrats everyone! Where are all you other 10/19 guys from?