William Carey University - COM Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the price of that Dell or whichever PC laptop the school recommends I could go ahead and get a MacBook. Are any current students using Macs? Are the E-books and software compatible?

Members don't see this ad.

Many students have been using Macs effectively.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a laptop I can use, but I am going to attempt using an iPad with the iAnnotate app. You can write and highlight on PDF and ppt files with it. If not I'll use my laptop and my iPad as a reader among other things. I'm assuming that's how most lectures are, via PowerPoint. Am I correct?

I think that the registration packets are going to get mailed out all at the same time in about a month.

i got a macbook pro instead of the school dell. many of us are apple users. i thought the switch from windows to mac would be difficult for me but i'm pleasantly surprised at how much i love my mac. a bunch of people have ipads, too. and yes, everything is powerpoint.

So, how big do you guys think our class size will be? I know FB group is hovering around the upper 60s...but that's a bit low, no?

It's May already so can it possibly increase much?

Last edited:
Random Question:
Has anyone found an extensive list of what we need (supplies) for first year at WCU. Tools, dissection kits etc? Does WCU provide us with gloves for anatomy or do we bring our own?

So, how big do you guys think our class size will be? I know FB group is hovering around the upper 60s...but that's a bit low, no?

It's May already so can it possibly increase much?

Well, I think May is when a lot of people make their final decision and stuff, so they just may not have joined the FB group yet...also, some people may not be big into FB so they may not know about the group or anything. But I thought Dr. Weir told my parents (they went to view the school a few weeks ago) that the class size would be ~100 students, like last year's class

Well, I think May is when a lot of people make their final decision and stuff, so they just may not have joined the FB group yet...also, some people may not be big into FB so they may not know about the group or anything. But I thought Dr. Weir told my parents (they went to view the school a few weeks ago) that the class size would be ~100 students, like last year's class

Thanks! Yea, I thought about those same reasons.

The dissection kit cost $10-20, it'll be sold at the same place you'll purchase your scrub tops. The current class donated most of their tools to be passed down to your class so I would hold off on buying one.

The school arranged for us to purchase a Welch Allyn diagnostic kit from a company. The affiliated company may have changed but you won't need this stuff until well into the school year. I'll just list the equipment we needed for physical diagnostics: ophthalmoscope and otoscope, stethoscope, "C" or 128 cps tuning fork, medium sized blood pressure cuff, reflex hammer (Queen's square).

We initially had to purchase our own gloves but by the middle of the semester they had gloves in the anatomy lab that were donated by an adjunct physician. They may not have them for you next year though. I would suggest ordering a box or two from amazon.com for the low low. Double gloving keeps your hands from smelling of formaldehyde for the rest of the day.

The current class is also working on putting together an info packet of places to live. That way during your apartment hunt you'll be able to refer to a 1st year student's assessment of the most common apartment complexes.

Random Question:
Has anyone found an extensive list of what we need (supplies) for first year at WCU. Tools, dissection kits etc? Does WCU provide us with gloves for anatomy or do we bring our own?

Reactions: 1 user
How regionally biased do you think WCU is? I would love to apply here, but I don't want them to kill my chances because I am from Ohio :/

How regionally biased do you think WCU is? I would love to apply here, but I don't want them to kill my chances because I am from Ohio :/

Very. I was over there last week and met with the Dean of Admissions. He told me that basically if you aren't from Mississippi or the Deep South they throw your application out unless you can convince them that you intend on practicing there. The mission of the school is to increase the number of osteopathic physicians in the region, and you'd need to convince them somehow (being from Ohio) that you'd be able to do that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very. I was over there last week and met with the Dean of Admissions. He told me that basically if you aren't from Mississippi or the Deep South they throw your application out unless you can convince them that you intend on practicing there. The mission of the school is to increase the number of osteopathic physicians in the region, and you'd need to convince them somehow (being from Ohio) that you'd be able to do that.

Crap. Thank you for being blunt, sometimes people on SDN like to beat around the bush with questions like these. Good info :thumbup:

Crap. Thank you for being blunt, sometimes people on SDN like to beat around the bush with questions like these. Good info :thumbup:

I'm from Oklahoma-which isn't really considered the Deep South, but I was accepted in November. So, take your chances and apply! The school has facilities that you can't beat anywhere else, and the faculty and students were the nicest out of any schools I visited. Don't not apply because of the regional aspect..you never know! :)

I'm from Oklahoma-which isn't really considered the Deep South, but I was accepted in November. So, take your chances and apply! The school has facilities that you can't beat anywhere else, and the faculty and students were the nicest out of any schools I visited. Don't not apply because of the regional aspect..you never know! :)

glad you liked us :)
djack, if you have serious ties to the south and/or can demonstrate you'd stay here, go for it. we have someone from new york. but off the top of my head, most of us are from mississippi/louisiana/texas/arkansas(alabama? one, or both)/florida.

Does anybody know if the wait list is moving?

Do you think if I am a missouri resident and went to college at arkansas and my grandma lives in Hattiesburg this may be enough to increase my chances based on the regional bias? I am applying this year btw.

Do you think if I am a missouri resident and went to college at arkansas and my grandma lives in Hattiesburg this may be enough to increase my chances based on the regional bias? I am applying this year btw.

It would not hurt. The stated mission of William Carey, as I remember it, is to provide physicians to meet the needs of the medically underserved in Mississippi and surrounding areas. They have a strong bias toward students who will fulfill this mission

If you don't mind telling me what was your position on the wait list? I was told about a week ago that I was#7...... did dr weir mention to you any activity or information that may be helpful to me? Any information would be very appreciated!

If you don't mind telling me what was your position on the wait list? I was told about a week ago that I was#7...... did dr weir mention to you any activity or information that may be helpful to me? Any information would be very appreciated!

You should hear something within the next couple of weeks. :xf:

i just emailed dr. weir and he told me that they have used 5 alternates so far.

Now there should really be some movement as those who are still undecided have to choose where they are going to med school. As for me, my deposit was mailed today.

Last edited:
I LOVE reading the posts where people are super excited they just got off the wait list because that feeling must be the best feeling in the world.

and how many seats are open for out of staters because yes I even called them and the admissions director said the school's mission is about recruiting for MISS...and there is regional bias

I LOVE reading the posts where people are super excited they just got off the wait list because that feeling must be the best feeling in the world.

and how many seats are open for out of staters because yes I even called them and the admissions director said the school's mission is about recruiting for MISS...and there is regional bias

Yea, it's like they got a visit from the admissions fairy.

I don't know if they have an out of state quota. I think if they see an out of state person that is genuinely interested in becoming a MS physician then that gets your foot in the door. One girl I met with recently and is applying for the class of 2016 over this summer(2011) is currently doing volunteer work at the Tutwiler clinic in MS. Look up that clinic run by Sister Ann Brooks or try to speak with some DO's in the state such as Dr. Valentine, Dr. Ashley Hood, or Dr. Stewart.
http://www.moma-net.org/mc/page.do?sitePageId=68797&orgId=moma

These are all DO's that are closely tied to WCUCOM and have massive pull.

Any current students can you please answer..... Can you use an iPad for the Vital source textbooks?? And how much does that cost? Thanks to a response

You can now use the Vital Source bookshelf on up to two computers and two iOS devices, that is the ipad, iphone and ipod touch.

http://www.vitalsource.com/iphone
thanks, thats awesome! I'm going to try to use my ipad with the iannotate app...its really great! any idea how much the ebooks will cost? and if we need to purchase the $996 supply kit listed on the book store order form
?

a lot of this is discussed on the WCUCOM student body facebook group page.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_130958706960043&ap=1

I am an incoming student as well. So, I don't have any experience with this stuff. But, based on comments from current students I think I will be fine building my own similar kit.
I have been offered free hand-me-down otoscope and opthmaloscopes that i will use. Also, many people seem to prefer Littman stethoscopes over the Harvey DXL at a lower price. I am told by an asthma doc that some $12 stethoscopes are clearer sounding that the expensive stuff.

At the interview I was told that the eTextbooks are about a grand and will be automatically billed to your student account at the bookstore.

Hey, I just got a quick question for all those that applied the 2011 cycle, William Carey's website http://www.wmcarey.edu/COM/Admissions/1741/TheApplicationProces.shtm says they require 3 different letters, a letter from a D.O., a committee letter, and a science faculty letter. I will be sending them a committee letter for this years application cycle. Does anyone know if just the committee letter will suffice since it already contains evaluations from 3 of my science faculty already? I tried emailing the admissions about this but they never got back to me.

Hey, I just got a quick question for all those that applied the 2011 cycle, William Carey's website http://www.wmcarey.edu/COM/Admissions/1741/TheApplicationProces.shtm says they require 3 different letters, a letter from a D.O., a committee letter, and a science faculty letter. I will be sending them a committee letter for this years application cycle. Does anyone know if just the committee letter will suffice since it already contains evaluations from 3 of my science faculty already? I tried emailing the admissions about this but they never got back to me.

When I applied, I used my committee letter, a DO letter and another science professor, because she knew me really well. If you aren't having luck emailing the admissions office, try calling Emily Bennett, she's super nice and very helpful! 601-318-6235

wanted to let wait listed people know that I'll be withdrawing my spot once my paperwork/etc is complete at the other school. So that's one more spot available for yall waiting. :)

I'm from Illinois, and I would like to apply here, but would I have a chance, or is regional preference too strong?

I'm from Illinois, and I would like to apply here, but would I have a chance, or is regional preference too strong?

Move on down the Mississippi a little ways and apply. Get yourself below the Mason Dixon line and your chances are bound to improve. Honestly, apply as is and you never know what a letter of intent might get you. The admissions office needs to work on setting up an open house for potential students to take a tour.

There's a 2011-2012 thread, comment there...