Will Trump win again???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
President not cooperating with an impeachment inquiry and Congress? That's the textbook definition of a president the founders would have impeached. Let's not mention the obstruction part.

This is the most important public servant in the country. He is not "innocent until proven guilty". He should be above any suspicion of a crime, especially one like corruption. Especially since this is not the first time there was suspicion of "quid pro quo" with a foreign power. We have impeached Clinton for much-much less.

This is exactly the kind of president the founders were afraid of, the kind that puts himself ahead of the country, and tries to makes deals with foreign powers for his own benefit (too). This was not the only time, I bet, just the only time he was actually caught. Goes perfectly with his personal business history and character.

If he really wants to fight corruption, he can start in the Oval Office, by asking the president of the United States to release his tax returns. Like Obama, who released his birth certificate even when he didn't have to. That's what true leaders (not demagogues) do. The President of the United States should be above any suspicion. If s/he isn't, what can people expect from the average public servant?

Tax returns are irrelevant, and he has no obligation to release them. If the IRS hasn't had him hauled off to jail after multiple audits, it's good enough for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Take a look at this analysis:

And so it is done. Donald Trump now becomes the third member of the exclusive club that no-one wants to be a member of.

But the framers of the constitution with its impeachment provision could never have imagined the hyper-partisanship - on both sides - that has been witnessed during today's sterile House proceedings. Each side with its own narrative, neither side listening to the other. And one can say with some certainty - I would bet all my yet-to-be-gifted Christmas presents - that it will be much the same once this becomes a trial in the Senate in the New Year.

Donald Trump will be acquitted. He won't be forced from office. So what changes? Well, Donald Trump will have a place in the history books - and for a man with such a huge sense of self that will hurt. Acutely. But 2020? Far from this being a killer blow against President Trump, it might turbo charge his bid for a second term. The House Speaker Nancy Pelosi was always wary about going down the impeachment route. We'll discover next November whether that concern was well founded.

-----

I remember when people cheered over Boris Johnson's suspension of Parliament getting rejected by the UK Supreme Court. They and their favorite MPs then stalled Brexit process with many arguing for him to step down for misleading the Queen. He held his ground, called for a snap election (with Parliamentary approval), and then proceeded to completely annihilate the opposition and end the Remain movement.

Scott Adams has an interesting take: that Trump has a habit of changing - not being changed by - circumstances he faces. He's changed the nature of the Presidency and public's perception of the media, and this drama may "redefine" impeachment as a political temper tantrum of sorts, based on subjectivity and the whining of a party that happens to hold a House majority..

Members don't see this ad :)
Things get even more interesting:

Now, for those of you who remember their psychiatry rotations, can you enlighten me as to what affect will this have on the mentality of a malignant narcissist?

Now, for those of you who remember their psychiatry rotations, can you enlighten me as to what affect will this have on the mentality of a malignant narcissist?

Not sure, but it will doubtless seem like a great victory for the Dunning-Kruger Effect-afflicted audience of NPR... for a day or two.

It's all about him, and disrespecting him is the highest offense.

My guess is that this is WAR. He will lash out and will be even harder to convince to respect democratic rules, especially when dealing with the democrats. The letter to Pelosi was disgraceful even for the average human being, let alone for the president of the United States.

I.e. expect more truly impeachable offenses. I don't expect him to start behaving and trying to prove them wrong. In his mind, he hasn't done anything wrong and he's being persecuted. He's the hero of this story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users

My guess is that this is WAR. He will lash out and will be even harder to convince to respect democratic rules, especially when dealing with the democrats. The letter to Pelosi was disgraceful even for the average human being, let alone for the president of the United States.

I.e. expect more truly impeachable offenses. I don't expect him to start behaving and trying to prove them wrong. In his mind, he hasn't done anything wrong and he's being persecuted. He's the hero of this story.
And the more he lashes out, the more likely he is to drive away more of those Republican women in the suburbs, I suspect.

For those of you thinking, well, the economy is good, look how well that worked in 2018. Orange County, Reagan country, is now a sea of blue.

"Democratic House Speaker Nancy Pelosi confirms the votes and warns her party not to celebrate"

And yet, preallo and pre-professional forums are celebrating as if they won the championships!

It's not like only some of us would suffer if he drags us into a war.

He fired Bolton. I don't know if that was just another unremarkable firing in an administration marked by a whole lot of firings, or if it was a reflection of the president's actual fervent desire to avoid military action, but I'll take it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Maybe. I think it more likely his response will be:

"The house Democrats know this is a take investigation that won't amount to anything in the Senate and so they are cowardly trying to keep the story alive since they know a Senate trial will be quick as result in a victory for Trump and America".

It's about the only way to spin this in a positive light for him.

Hmmm Mikkel why don’t you go to Pittsburg to their largest synagogue or to El Paso and let them know how you think it’s all a farce...
I think it's possible you both are talking past each other. You seem to be saying "how dare you deny that there are any racially motivated crimes?" and they seem to be saying, "I think some of the reported crimes are faked so that claim of a huge increase in racially motivated crimes might not be true"

I don't think anyone is denying that racially motivated crime happen so pointing out some obviously real ones doesn't really settle the debate about prevalence

I think it's possible you both are talking past each other. You seem to be saying "how dare you deny that there are any racially motivated crimes?" and they seem to be saying, "I think some of the reported crimes are faked so that claim of a huge increase in racially motivated crimes might not be true"

I don't think anyone is denying that racially motivated crime happen so pointing out some obviously real ones doesn't really settle the debate about prevalence
Nope. They are suggesting that there is no increase in hate crimes, or just a minimal one, which is simply not true.

Not only hate crimes are increasing, hate speech too. And not only in the US, because we give the cue to a lot of countries in the world. We lead by example. Our values influence their values. Noblesse oblige (aka with great power comes great responsibility).

Mr. Legacy Obsession will go down in history like the most damaging US president to Western-type democracy around the world in decades. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"... not.

Nope. They are suggesting that there is no increase in hate crimes, or just a minimal one, which is simply not true.

Not only hate crimes are increasing, hate speech too. And not only in the US, because we give the cue to a lot of countries in the world. We lead by example. Our values influence their values. Noblesse oblige (aka with great power comes great responsibility).

Mr. Legacy Obsession will go down in history like the most damaging US president to Western-type democracy around the world in decades. "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall"... not.

We badly need a uniting president, who can rally the entire nation behind him/her, before this division turns really bad, and s/he won't come from the republicans. After George W Bush was elected on a uniter not a divider platform, he was rapidly told by the then speaker that the party won't let that fly.

We badly need a uniting president, who can rally the entire nation behind him/her, before this division turns really bad, and s/he won't come from the republicans. After George W Bush was elected on a uniter not a divider platform, he was rapidly told by the then speaker that the party won't let that fly.
Make sure you donate all your 401k gains under Trump's market to charity then. The good thing about people who hate trump is that the market gains still make them rich regardless. You're welcome.

Which is an argument about prevalence....which is what I said

So someone pointing out a few undeniably racially motivated events doesn’t make a point since both sides agree on there being some

The division started looooong before Trump ever came on the scene.

There has been a war on America started by the Democrats as far back as the 1960s with the anti-Vietnam movement.

It was only with the Obama presidency that the majority of America acknowledged that the war against America needs someone to fight back. Hence, Trump was elected to fight back.

People showed up to vote despite most polls giving Trump a less than 10% chance of winning. They were so desperate for a victory that they voted against all odds.

The farce of equal proportion is that both the White House and R members in congress attacked the initially impeachment investigation on the grounds of hearsay or second hand information (although many prosec and convictions are made by circumstantial evidence) but then refused to let folks like Pompeo, Mulvaney, Rudy and Bolton to provide direct and first hand testimony, but do you know why?? A real and present danger of perjury, they could have defeated the Ds argument in a very straight-forward manner but by strategic legal conscription, avoided them lying to Congress...
Of course I understand it would be a perjury trap. When someone asks you the same question 100 times, if your answer isn't precise every time you answer, you are at risk for being charged with perjury. You can commit perjury during questioning and be totally innocent of the charges brought against you. Process crimes can be challenging to avoid with skillful prosecutors asking the questions. I understand why the Presidents lawyers would want to avoid a perjury trap. I still haven't heard a cogent response from anyone why congress did not seek relief from the courts for the information they requested. The rush to impeach does not serve the constitution, only the party rushing to impeach. This whole process was an impeachment in search of a crime. Now the bar is so low that future presidents are at risk for partisan impeachments.

@FFP Make sure you try to understand that nobody is arguing hate crimes do not exist. I'm merely pointing out that there has been a sharp increase in politically motivated hate crime hoaxes, many of which have been amplified by the 24/7 news media to push a narrative.

The most prominent hoax is the Juicy Smollette hoax that was likely coordinated with Kamala Harris as she introduced an anti-lynching bill before the hoax was committed.

The Covington Catholic children hate crime hoax is another prominent example.

I'm afraid that's not true. It's really hard to commit perjury in a public and recorded interrogation, especially when they ask one the same question repeatedly, hence one has the chance to correct oneself. One can even amend one's deposition if one remembers something later (see Sondland).

The only perjury committed in an impeachment trial I know about was Clinton LYING about his relationship with Lewinsky,

The only perjury trap is the FBI's bad habit of not recording interrogations and having agents write a report. THAT's a perjury trap. I would never agree to something like that.
You are correct. Since the impeachment hearings are not a court of law and operating under the rules Democrats set, I seriously doubt Schiff would allow anyone to amend their deposition, unless it served his purpose. If there were discrepancies in testimony, I'm sure Schiff would run with that in the media and add perjury to the articles of impeachment.

You are correct. Since the impeachment hearings are not a court of law and operating under the rules Democrats set, I seriously doubt Schiff would allow anyone to amend their deposition, unless it served his purpose. If there were discrepancies in testimony, I'm sure Schiff would run with that in the media and add perjury to the articles of impeachment.
I'm sorry, but you're being paranoid here.

If one is not sure of one's memory, especially with all the lawyers coaching one, one can specify that. "To the best of my recollection...", "I may be wrong, but I seem to remember...". Again, this is a recorded deposition, so every word does matter, but also in an exculpatory way. We are not robots. We don't remember everything (correctly). We may misunderstand or misinterpret questions. We may be embarrassed (like Clinton probably was). We may be even in denial (as a psychological defense mechanism). For perjury, you need the criminal intent to LIE, which is absolutely in Trump's habit, yes. Tough luck, one can't just lie to Congress, as if they were the American people he lies to every single day.

The trap here is that his deposition could open the door to his tax returns and corporate documents etc., as proof that he's (not) corrupt, and he has no foreign interests, neither in Ukraine nor in Russia. Which I bet isn't true, hence his huge resistance to revealing his tax returns and the whole staying away from Pandora's box. At some point, his constant lies will catch up with him. I am sure that the republicans will not let him be deposed.

You miss my point , a testimony by someone like Pompeo or Mulvaney could have easily contradicted the D testimony with direct in person accounts, butperjury because a looming outcome because their testimony would have to be consistent with transcripts ( not submitted to the house ) or perjury would have to attach.

You just claimed that the murders of Jews in Pittsburgh was not a hate crime. It absolutely is a hate crime, and to suggest it's not a hate crime is clearly anti-Semitic.
Child please. You are such a back peddling duplicitous fop - I never said or made any implication of any sorts - stay in your lane.

Child please. You are such a back peddling duplicitous fop
Are you going to retract your anti-Semitic statement then? Will you acknowledge and apologize for saying it's not a hate crime when Jews are targeted and murdered?

You just claimed that the murders of Jews in Pittsburgh was not a hate crime. It absolutely is a hate crime, and to suggest it's not a hate crime is clearly anti-Semitic.
And no snide remark that there nor thousands of Indian women that are missing and it’s vast underreported. Or were you going to suggest you were here before them or that they don’t have special legal rights and obligations from the US??

Are you going to retract your anti-Semitic statement then? Will you acknowledge and apologize for saying it's not a hate crime when Jews are targeted and murdered?
Mikkel why don’t you explain to us about your probationary status and your constant reprimands from administrators for borderline racist comments and inflaming the cauldron of a white superiority ideology?

Mikkel why don’t you explain to us about your probationary status and your constant reprimands from administrators for borderline racist comments and inflaming the cauldron of a white superiority ideology?
Just add the (wo)man to your ignore list. Please.

Buahahah, Jim Jordan wants to be on Trumps impeachment defense team. The man that went to a bottom of the barrel law school
-who never passed the bar-who has all the articulation of a drunk five minutes pass happy hour - lol.

Trump's platform was a uniting one for Americans, but the Left decided to prioritize illegal aliens over Americans, and have been attacking Trump and his voters since.

Buahahah, Jim Jordan wants to be on Trumps impeachment defense team. The man that went to a bottom of the barrel law school
-who never passed the bar-who has all the articulation of a drunk five minutes pass happy hour - lol.

That guy sounds like a lowlife mercenary, so nothing unexpected.

The sad part for me was hearing republicans from the Southeast yesterday. I heard like 5-6 of them, at least, and I blessed the day I decided not to move there for cultural reasons. I can totally see how Jim Crow would still exist without the Civil Rights Act. WASP old boys' club.

Trump's platform was a uniting one for Americans, but the Left decided to prioritize illegal aliens over Americans, and have been attacking Trump and his voters since.
Occasionally you will say intelligent things like this, and then I almost remove you from my ignore list, until you make me bang my head against the wall again.

So I'll humor you. What you said is the biggest and most dividing mistake the democrats have been making, which makes me wonder whether it's not for political gains. They don't want to solve the immigration problem because it wouldn't be in their interest.

I completely understand why they would attack Trump defenders, not voters. There is a huge difference between holding one's nose and voting for Trump, and defending him (i.e. sharing his values). One can be anti-illegal immigration and still humane, still tolerant, still a decent human being. I hope I am like that, although I would support anybody who would shoot people on sight, if caught crossing the border strip. This is national security; no borders, no security.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry, but you're being paranoid here.

If one is not sure of one's memory, especially with all the lawyers coaching one, one can specify that. "To the best of my recollection...", "I may be wrong, but I seem to remember...". Again, this is a recorded deposition, so every word does matter, but also in an exculpatory way. We are not robots. We don't remember everything (correctly). We may misunderstand or misinterpret questions. We may be embarrassed (like Clinton probably was). We may be even in denial (as a psychological defense mechanism). For perjury, you need the criminal intent to LIE, which is absolutely in Trump's habit, yes. Tough luck, one can't just lie to Congress, as if they were the American people he lies to every single day.

The trap here is that his deposition could open the door to his tax returns and corporate documents etc., as proof that he's (not) corrupt, and he has no foreign interests, neither in Ukraine nor in Russia. Which I bet isn't true, hence his huge resistance to revealing his tax returns and the whole staying away from Pandora's box. At some point, his constant lies will catch up with him. I am sure that the republicans will not let him be deposed.
Dont be sorry. I am a bit paranoid about what I posted. Schiff's and Nadler's behavior have made me paranoid. Democrats were calling for impeachment shortly after Trumps inauguration. All the hype about russian collusion but the special prosecutor found none. Did the drumbeat for impeachment stop? No. There were like 3 votes for impeachment before the July call to the Ukraine? After being lectured about what a serious, sober, revered process impeachment is, I saw Schiff enter testimony in his comittee hearing that was a flagrant lie about what PresTrump said on the call to Ukraine. When called out about his comments 20 min later, in the middle of this serious, somber,revered process, he announced his comments were "Parody " An obvious attempt to misrepresent what the Pres said. So, yeah, I'm a little paranoid.
As far as being deposed, I agree, his lawyers won't let that happen
Ds should go to court to get the information they require. It would make the process appear more legitimate and maybe get some Independent voters to flip their votes. As far as Trump himself, I dont particularly care for him. His comments about deceased congressman Dingle were reprehensible. I didnt particularly care for the congressman, but you dont make comments like that about a longterm congressman, regardless of party.

Mikkel, I'm not going to apologize for anything. I said what I said and I'm sticking to it.
So yet again, you are refusing to retract your anti-Semitic statement and you're refusing to apologize for saying it's not a hate crime to target and murder Jews.

Dont be sorry. I am a bit paranoid about what I posted. Schiff's and Nadler's behavior have made me paranoid. Democrats were calling for impeachment shortly after Trumps inauguration. All the hype about russian collusion but the special prosecutor found none. Did the drumbeat for impeachment stop? No. There were like 3 votes for impeachment before the July call to the Ukraine? After being lectured about what a serious, sober, revered process impeachment is, I saw Schiff enter testimony in his comittee hearing that was a flagrant lie about what PresTrump said on the call to Ukraine. When called out about his comments 20 min later, in the middle of this serious, somber,revered process, he announced his comments were "Parody " An obvious attempt to misrepresent what the Pres said. So, yeah, I'm a little paranoid.
As far as being deposed, I agree, his lawyers won't let that happen
Ds should go to court to get the information they require. It would make the process appear more legitimate and maybe get some Independent voters to flip their votes. As far as Trump himself, I dont particularly care for him. His comments about deceased congressman Dongle were reprehensible. I didnt particularly care for the congressman, but you dont make comments like that about a longterm congressman, regardless of party.
I am sure there were a number of democrats who would have liked him to be removed from the beginning (the ones who would have applauded yesterday). Come on, the man is a disgrace for the office. He's about as presidential as a mob boss, at least when compared to most of his predecessors.

But they did try. Pelosi did try. I was so brainwashed against her, I couldn't stand her two years ago. Then I started watching what she was doing, and what she was saying, and her interactions with Trump. She's a politician, but she must be a great mind, too. And she seems like a decent human being who tries to put the country first. To me, she's a stateswoman (even if our general politics may disagree).

I admit: I have been a never Trumper (except as a last resort - i.e. holding my nose). I honestly can't believe a decent human being could vote for him otherwise (I am looking especially at you, devote religious people). One can't love the country and unleash Trump on it, swamp or no swamp. He simply lacks the maturity and temperament and patriotism to be a good president. He's a malignant narcissist, and that means that Trump comes before country ALWAYS. I personally can't sell my vote for lower taxes or Second Amendment or religious issues (despite supporting all three at pretty libertarian levels). But this country has been SO good to me, I would happily die for it, rather than see it destroyed.

Hate speech is not a thing. Certainly you haven’t gone that far off the deep end FFP, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So yet again, you are refusing to retract your anti-Semitic statement and you're refusing to apologize for saying it's not a hate crime to target and murder Jews.
Mikkel- don’t you have a Thule Society holiday event to attend to?

Hate speech is not a thing. Certainly you haven’t gone that far off the deep end FFP, right?

Since "hate speech" is defined as any ideas that leftists do not agree with, I could easily imagine FFP would be onboard with that.

He might also be referring to the narrative of Trump's words taken out of context by the leftist media.

Mikkel- don’t you have a Thule Society holiday event to attend to?
Just tell him that you are not among the about one quarter of African Americans who have negative feelings against Jews, and you'll make his soul happier. Or, maybe, just stop feeding the troll, because he's just a wall that bounces back everything thrown at it? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.