Will there ever be too many medical schools in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh. 3rd year required clerkships are not irrelevant bc you're not going into the specialty, in question.
I'm not saying that, but as a dermatology resident, you're going to tell me your OB/Gyn rotation is what makes or breaks you as a person qualified for derm?

Members don't see this ad.

Well there are certain "competencies" you are expected to reach as an MD graduate from any medical school (in theory).
In theory indeed. A lot of the knowledge one gains in medical school is dumped as soon as it falls into disuse, however, as not enough hours have been invested to cement true competence. The focused, multi-year education that residency provides is what makes a physician competent. An intern is just a kid with a lot of scattered knowledge and experiences that have yet to solidify themselves into an actual usable skill set. They have the knowledge to acquire a set of skills and become competent, but that is about it. It's like a kid with a degree in business and a focus in entrepreneurship- he may have been provided with a thorough base of knowledge and interned with some brilliant businessmen, but until he puts in the time actually trying to start his own business, he won't learn the real lessons he needs to become a successful business owner himself.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not saying that, but as a dermatology resident, you're going to tell me your OB/Gyn rotation is what makes or breaks you as a person qualified for derm?
As long as derm is as competitive as it is, programs can be picky and feel free to pick the person who honored every rotation. If that means they deem honoring obgyn as important, it's important.

Reactions: 1 users
:smack:. Your actual specialty is not the issue. You're right, OB-Gyn has nothing to do with Derm or Rads or ENT or Plastics, etc. The reason why your clerkship grades are looked at is bc of your overall clinical performance. It's IRRELEVANT that those fields have nothing to do with your eventual field you match into. You obviously know NOTHING about match stuff and how different components play into the process so you should probably stop talking about it.

I know you think everything is straightforward, but you'll realize soon enough that it's not the case.

:smack:. Your actual specialty is not the issue. You're right, OB-Gyn has nothing to do with Derm or Rads or ENT or Plastics, etc. The reason why your clerkship grades are looked at is bc of your overall clinical performance. It's IRRELEVANT that those fields have nothing to do with your eventual field you match into. You obviously know NOTHING about match stuff and how different components play into the process so you should probably stop talking about it.

I know you think everything is straightforward, but you'll realize soon enough that it's not the case.
Ah yes, the "you're a pre-med so you know nothing about getting into med school" is now "you're a med student so you know nothing about matching." I suspect that like in pre-med, the fact that I've spoken to people that are experts on these things actually gave me insight.

Agreed. It's more used as a proxy for "can this kid get along with people and not be a primadonna?"

After all, the highest rec letter praise is "I wish he/she was going into my field". If you can successfully navigate the tough realm of obgyn, you've got a pretty high level of social intelligence.

As long as derm is as competitive as it is, programs can be picky and feel free to pick the person who honored every rotation. If that means they deem honoring obgyn as important, it's important.
You're missing the point. Change derm to Psychiatry if it helps you see the point.

Ah yes, the "you're a pre-med so you know nothing about getting into med school" is now "you're a med student so you know nothing about matching." I suspect that like in pre-med, the fact that I've spoken to people that are experts on these things actually gave me insight.
Yes. It's why you're screaming, "DO discrimination" without knowing what you're actually talking about, which is expected as an MS-1. You think your worldview is correct no matter what. The same fools who in Pre-Allo who believe that MD = DO. Yes, maybe with respect to getting a state govt. medical license, but not when it comes to certain specialties.

Yes, and if you're saying that bc of x specialty, why would they care about your OB-Gyn grade, since you won't be delivering babies, that tells you that you have no idea why PDs consider clerkship grades as significant.

You're missing the point. Change derm to Psychiatry if it helps you see the point.
You will interact with pregnant patients as a psychiatrist. Or with recently postpartum patients. Or with patients going through fertility treatments who develop psychosis. Or with patients who lose a pregnancy.

Everything is interrelated.

By doing well in obgyn, you demonstrate that you are willing to work damn hard at something that you might not want to do for yourself and excel at it.

After all, why do pediatric psych rotations when you only want to run a suboxone clinic? You won't like everything in your specialty, but you will be expected to throw yourself into it full force and master the base competences expected of you.

The same for medical rotations when applying for residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. It's more used as a proxy for "can this kid get along with people and not be a primadonna?"

After all, the highest rec letter praise is "I wish he/she was going into my field". If you can successfully navigate the tough realm of obgyn, you've got a pretty high level of social intelligence.
Yes, pretty much. Your clinical performance is more indicative of your ability to: not complain, work in a team esp. in a hierarchy, take constructive criticism, improve, to do well in a clerkship you don't like and still do well etc. are qualities residencies want in their residents bc, you guessed it, there will be many times during residency in which you will be doing things you don't like. Your third year performance at least on paper, shows that you can succeed in that regard.

Getting in your summative evaluation comments of "I wish he was going for _______" or "He will succeed no matter what specialty he enters" speak volumes about the person. The ones who say "I'm going for x specialty, so I don't care how I do on OB-Gyn as long as I Pass" are the short-sighted ones and it's reflected in their eval.

Like I said, it doesn't matter the specialty - Derm or Psych. The only difference is the degree. To say, I'm going for Psych, so it doesn't matter how I do on IM, Surgery, etc. is absolutely short-sighted and foolish. That's the problem with you extrapolating so simply on how it works, bc 9 times out of 10 you're wrong. You're correlating a REQUIRED clerkship with your eventual specialty, and that's wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will interact with pregnant patients as a psychiatrist. Or with recently postpartum patients. Or with patients going through fertility treatments who develop psychosis. Or with patients who lose a pregnancy.

By doing well in obgyn, you demonstrate that you are willing to work damn hard at something that you might not want to do for yourself and excel at it.

After all, why do pediatric psych rotations when you only want to run a suboxone clinic? You won't like everything in your specialty, but you will be expected to throw yourself into it full force and master the base competences expected of you.

Based on AlbinoHawkDO's logic, with Radiology, it doesn't matter if you pass all your required MS-3 rotations since you're in a reading room reading scans.

lol while I don't disagree that stuff isn't interrelated, the idea that you need OB/Gyn as a psychiatrist is ludicrous. What if I get a patient who had an orthopedic procedure and went through rehabilitation and I never did those elective rotations? I guess I wouldn't be qualified to do psychiatry. It's not as is if you're trained as a psychiatrist during residency, right? :rolleyes:

Then I worked too hard my third year lol.
Well it's not like Radiologists ever end up doing IR or talk with other consultants/physicians who order their scans ever. Nope, they just sit in a room, read a scan, and dictate. :rolleyes:

Based on AlbinoHawkDO's logic, with Radiology, it doesn't matter if you pass all your required MS-3 rotations since you're in a reading room reading scans.
Then you understand logic very poorly. What I'm saying is the quality, be it Harvard or Meharry OB/Gyn, is pretty irrelevant for someone in psychiatry how awesome it was. Both programs meet the minimum standard. I also didn't say anything about failing or passing. Clearly everything should be, at minimum, a pass, but having gone through UCSF vs U of Puerto Rico for some rotations is clearly irrelevant.

lol while I don't disagree that stuff isn't interrelated, the idea that you need OB/Gyn as a psychiatrist is ludicrous. What if I get a patient who had an orthopedic procedure and went through rehabilitation and I never did those elective rotations? I guess I wouldn't be qualified to do psychiatry. It's not as is if you're trained as a psychiatrist during residency, right? :rolleyes:
That is the point of medical school and why I think doing too much training in your eventual specialty is a mistake. Medical school is your time to get those experiences outside your eventual specialty so you can be more well rounded and a complete physician.

We are physicians first, then our specialties. We need to have a base level of competency in the core areas of our profession.

Otherwise you're just a psych NP.

Reactions: 2 users
That is the point of medical school and why I think doing too much training in your eventual specialty is a mistake. Medical school is your time to get those experiences outside your eventual specialty so you can be more well rounded and a complete physician.

We are physicians first, then our specialties. We need to have a base level of competency in the core areas of our profession.

lol so you're saying your residency is the quality of NP psych education? It was those 4 weeks in random specialty that made you a doctor. I'm sure the nursing lobby is going to love you.

Then you understand logic very poorly. What I'm saying is the quality, be it Harvard or Meharry OB/Gyn, is pretty irrelevant for someone in psychiatry how awesome it was. Both programs meet the minimum standard. I also didn't say anything about failing or passing. Clearly everything should be, at minimum, a pass, but having gone through UCSF vs U of Puerto Rico for some rotations is clearly irrelevant.

And I'm telling you your wrong. Also that wasn't the point you were making bc you said this:
You weren't referring to institution here.

lol so you're saying your residency is the quality of NP psych education? It was those 4 weeks in random specialty that made you a doctor. I'm sure the nursing lobby is going to love you.
Where did @maxxor say that? That's not at all what he said.

To take your logic to its end point, why have medical school since everything is on the job in residency.

Why would honoring a rotation compared to passing it ever not look good? Who cares if it's a completely unrelated service, it would show another opportunity a student had to excel, which they did so successfully... That's certainly not a negative. It definitely doesn't make or break you, but again it's definitely not negative..... I don't think any PDs are going to be like " wow he did good in OB, but rads isn't anything like that, so I doubt he'd be a good fit." No. They'd probably be more like " well I know his personality and he doesn't strike me as the type of person to be interested in OB, so the fact he was able to excel in it is impressive to me."

If anything, there's a solid argument that excelling in the rotations that aren't similar to your service you're applying to would be of big importance. A big part about this whole process is work ethic and desire to advance yourself. It's a bit easier to do that in a rads try out than it is in OB for me(since I want to do rads). If I'm applying to rads, it's expected I'm going to do well in it, so when I do well in unrelated stuff, it's a complete pwnage.

That wouldn't be necessary, bc allo schools always have their rotations planned out.
Many DO schools do too, yet like MDs, we can do VSAS.

VSAS is for 4th year electives, not required clerkships. Most MD schools will not allow visiting MD students, much less DO students, take part in their required 3rd year clerkships at their academic medical center.

Why would honoring a rotation compared to passing it ever not look good? Who cares if it's a completely unrelated service, it would show another opportunity a student had to excel, which they did so successfully... That's certainly not a negative. It definitely doesn't make or break you, but again it's definitely not negative..... I don't think any PDs are going to be like " wow he did good in OB, but rads isn't anything like that, so I doubt he'd be a good fit." No. They'd probably be more like " well I know his personality and he doesn't strike me as the type of person to be interested in OB, so the fact he was able to excel in it is impressive to me."

If anything, there's a solid argument that excelling in the rotations that aren't similar to your service you're applying to would be of big importance. A big part about this whole process is work ethic and desire to advance yourself. It's a bit easier to do that in a rads try out than it is in OB for me(since I want to do rads). If I'm applying to rads, it's expected I'm going to do well in it, so when I do well in unrelated stuff, it's a complete pwnage.
Not to mention, you are able to get along with different consultants and as a Radiologist you will be interacting with EM, IM, Peds, Surgery, OB-Gyn, Neurology, etc. on a daily basis esp. when it comes to deciding what scan to get as you'll be asking them what their differential diagnosis is. It demonstrates work ethic that you are able to excel in something you DON'T like. It's easy to excel in something you do like, any shmuck can do that. The above can't be taught by a radiology residency. They can teach you how to be a radiologist (dependent on program - what resources they have available to do that).

The thinking/cognitive process in medicine doesn't stop just bc you're in the Radiology reading room.

He's crossed the line into trolling by twisting what I say into nonsense. I'm done with this troll.

It's been fun @DermViser.
It's his modus operandi. He's complaining about "DO discrimination" in a match as if it falls on par with racial discrimination, and says DOs should have "equal access" as if this is Brown vs. Board of Education. Tells you everything.

Get ready for "you're a resident, so you don't know anything about actual practice" and it's exciting sequels, "you are new yo the field, you know nothing" and "you're an academic, you don't know anything about real world practice."

Reactions: 4 users
Sorry, but WashU or really Barnes-Jewish, doesn't throw "H"s for Internal Medicine like candy, maybe HP, but not H. The standards and the people are Barnes are known, some community podunk hospital with no residency program is not a known entity.

Again, not saying that WashU gives out Hs to everyone, but you kind of made my point. WashU and its hospitals are known. You're comparing a known hospital for an unknown one, and claiming that surely the rotation you know nothing about is easier to get an H in than the one you know about. The truth is you can't know that. You don't know anything about how students are graded there or how difficult the attendings want to be there. Now if you compare students on the same rotation at the same hospital, you can objectively compare the difficulty of grading on their rotations (within reason - there are still unknowns), but again your initial point isn't accurate. Again, PDs will say that the WashU kid with an H in IM is better than the Meharry kid with the H in IM, but its not because the WashU kid definitely worked harder to get the H, its because he's from WashU, a program that is well known and established in the field.

Honestly, I feel like I've beaten the point, which was not all that important to me, to death. So yeah, that's all I care to say about it.

Moving on...

Now I definitely don't disagree with what your saying, but honestly I doubt 4-8 weeks on a service at a time when your knowledge of clinical medicine and responsibility is at its minimum is enough to make you well rounded (better than nothing, sure, but particularly meaningful, I don't know).

This is a bit off topic, but I see a transitional/rotational internship as a much better way to get that kind of exposure. Obviously this depends on which field you're going into, but I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the residencies that don't require something like that. For example, I'm a little sad that my ophtho resident friend would feel lost in a minor medical emergency and my neurology resident friend would be fine.

No it doesn't lol noob

Again, not saying that WashU gives out Hs to everyone, but you kind of made my point. WashU and its hospitals are known. You're comparing a known hospital for an unknown one, and claiming that surely the rotation you know nothing about is easier to get an H in than the one you know about. The truth is you can't know that. You don't know anything about how students are graded there or how difficult the attendings want to be there. Now if you compare students on the same rotation at the same hospital, you can objectively compare the difficulty of grading on their rotations (within reason - there are still unknowns), but again your initial point isn't accurate. Again, PDs will say that the WashU kid with an H in IM is better than the Meharry kid with the H in IM, but its not because the WashU kid definitely worked harder to get the H, its because he's from WashU, a program that is well known and established in the field.

Honestly, I feel like I've beaten the point, which was not all that important to me, to death. So yeah, that's all I care to say about it.

Moving on...
Yes, it's well known and well-established for a reason. They know the people there, they know the stratification of grades at that institution, etc. Some community hospital, that's never taught med students, don't have a residency where residents are evaluated on competencies, etc. - their grading will not be taken as seriously.

Now I definitely don't disagree with what your saying, but honestly I doubt 4-8 weeks on a service at a time when your knowledge of clinical medicine and responsibility is at its minimum is enough to make you well rounded (better than nothing, sure, but particularly meaningful, I don't know).

This is a bit off topic, but I see a transitional/rotational internship as a much better way to get that kind of exposure. Obviously this depends on which field you're going into, but I'm not sure if I'm a big fan of the residencies that don't require something like that. For example, I'm a little sad that my ophtho resident friend would feel lost in a minor medical emergency and my neurology resident friend would be fine.
Don't buy into the minimization and utter devaluation of medical student rotation experiences as they pertain to your future career.

You can't do everything in residency. Even in my TY, I won't ever do OB, Neuro, or Psych again. I will rotate in medicine, surgery, EM, outpatient, and a couple electives tailored to complementing my eventual radiology training. But when I'm a radiologist, I will draw on my neurology rotation experience when discussing cases in the neuro reading room. Or my OB rotation when reading well baby OB ultrasound. Every day on the medicine service, I have patients with psychiatric comorbidities. I'm drawing on my psych rotation experience and knowledge.

I'm tired of hearing people completely devalue their medical school training. It counts and it matters. Yes residency is important, but there's a reason we do both.

The point of medical school is to demonstrate that you have the foundational knowledge to take partial responsibility for patients and continue the educational process of becoming a physician, as demonstrated by passage of the USMLE.

If you believe interns to be so competent, would you ever let a fresh intern care for a family member in absence of an attending physician? How about if they were critically ill? Personally, I wouldn't trust a freshly minted PGY-1 to do much of anything.

Sigh....you've missed the point entirely. I dont have the time or energy to keep repeating myself.

Yup, bc it's not like any women get post-partum depression - to where you have to understand reproductive physiology. And it's not like Surgery patients ever get depressed and have a psych consult called. Nope. Psych works completely in a vacuum. So next time you have a hypothyroid patient (which since you didn't care to listen on IM as you just wanted to "Pass") you can just throw SSRIs at them when they're depressed.

Don't buy into the minimization and utter devaluation of medical student rotation experiences as they pertain to your future career.

You can't do everything in residency. Even in my TY, I won't ever do OB, Neuro, or Psych again. I will rotate in medicine, surgery, EM, outpatient, and a couple electives tailored to complementing my eventual radiology training. But when I'm a radiologist, I will draw on my neurology rotation experience when discussing cases in the neuro reading room. Or my OB rotation when reading well baby OB ultrasound. Every day on the medicine service, I have patients with psychiatric comorbidities. I'm drawing on my psych rotation experience and knowledge.

I'm tired of hearing people completely devalue their medical school training. It counts and it matters. Yes residency is important, but there's a reason we do both.

I definitely agree we need both. As far as how well-rounded the cores alone will make me, I'll reserve my complete judgement until I'm at least where you are. It just upsets me to see people who've finished med school close to the top of their class and are almost done with residency that don't trust their own ability to at least have a general idea of what to do in a minor medical emergency. They could be underestimating themselves or just lack confidence, but I know I don't want to be that way.

I definitely agree we need both. As far as how well-rounded the cores alone will make me, I'll reserve my complete judgement until I'm at least where you are. It just upsets me to see people who've finished med school close to the top of their class and are almost done with residency that don't trust their own ability to at least have a general idea of what to do in a minor medical emergency. They could be underestimating themselves or just lack confidence, but I know I don't want to be that way.
Or they realize with appropriate introspection that they didn't spend the past 3-4 years of their life managing medical emergencies and would rather leave that to the experts.

They probably know how to manage the emergencies in their own field (ophtho has some emergencies) but would have the self awareness to realize they would probably be rusty after 7 years of ophthalmology should they be on an airline and the call is put out for a doctor.

Or they realize with appropriate introspection that they didn't spend the past 3-4 years of their life managing medical emergencies and would rather leave that to the experts.

They probably know how to manage the emergencies in their own field (ophtho has some emergencies) but would have the self awareness to realize they would probably be rusty after 7 years of ophthalmology should they be on an airline and the call is put out for a doctor.

The actual situation was being on a plane when no other doctors were around, whether they'd be able to give some advice or help the patient in any way. I don't claim to know a ton about medicine, but certain things are easier than others, and while its one thing to refer to someone who has more knowledge, which should be the modus operandi, in society an ophthalmologist should (at least in my opinion) have more knowledge of how to handle a minor medical emergency than say a short order cook.

The actual situation was being on a plane when no other doctors were around, whether they'd be able to give some advice or help the patient in any way. I don't claim to know a ton about medicine, but certain things are easier than others, and while its one thing to refer to someone who has more knowledge, which should be the modus operandi, in society an ophthalmologist should (at least in my opinion) have more knowledge of how to handle a minor medical emergency than say a short order cook.
With time you will see how much you forget. Don't forget how you feel now and compare it to how you feel upon starting internship.

With time you will see how much you forget. Don't forget how you feel now and compare it to how you feel upon starting internship.

In the situation, I was comparing two people that are at the same point in their GME. One was an ophtho resident and one a neuro resident. They both had completely different responses to the situation. They both went to the same (mid-tier MD) school. The only difference was a categorical vs. TY PGY-1. Again, I'm not saying they should both know how to deal with a laceration like an EM pro or intubate like an anesthesia god, but I'd hope they at least be able to offer some help/guidance.

I don't doubt that I'll forget a ton (isn't there a saying along the lines of "a doc forgets more than most people learn"), but I hope I still retain some competency of how to deal with certain things, even if they are outside of my specific field. Afterall, I would have finished medical school, and as you've stated it should make me more well-rounded in terms of medicine in general.

In the situation, I was comparing two people that are at the same point in their GME. One was an ophtho resident and one a neuro resident. They both had completely different responses to the situation. They both went to the same (mid-tier MD) school. The only difference was a categorical vs. TY PGY-1. Again, I'm not saying they should both know how to deal with a laceration like an EM pro or intubate like an anesthesia god, but I'd hope they at least be able to offer some help/guidance.

I don't doubt that I'll forget a ton (isn't there a saying along the lines of "a doc forgets more than most people learn"), but I hope I still retain some competency of how to deal with certain things, even if they are outside of my specific field. Afterall, I would have finished medical school, and as you've stated it should make me more well-rounded in terms of medicine in general.
See, these kinds of things are the reasons NPs will be able to equate themselves to physicians in the future. I was talking with an MD-PHD student at my neighboring school the other day. She was giving me advice on how to "suck up", the seemingly nonsensical lack of integration of material in my curriculum and that others have gone that way before me. Well, the problem with that is the demands of healthcare are changing, and tuition is ridiculously expensive. My generation of physicians will literally be shaping the future of the profession, in a time where it is under attack. Coming out with the attitude of "this has made me a super healthcare provider" is downright destructive.

Someone mention pontification earlier. Medicine is breeds this attitude. Those two PGY1s probably think they've made it, but never stop to look around at what's going on around them.

Last edited:

If social intelligence is what's required to succeed on rotations, then I guess I'll be playing medical school on Legendary.

Oh wait, I already am.

Huehuehue

If social intelligence is what's required to succeed on rotations, then I guess I'll be playing medical school on Legendary.

Oh wait, I already am.

Huehuehue
penguin-gif.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Yup, bc it's not like any women get post-partum depression - to where you have to understand reproductive physiology. And it's not like Surgery patients ever get depressed and have a psych consult called. Nope. Psych works completely in a vacuum. So next time you have a hypothyroid patient (which since you didn't care to listen on IM as you just wanted to "Pass") you can just throw SSRIs at them when they're depressed.
Oh man, so you're telling me if I didn't do 4 weeks of OB/GYN and honored it that my psychiatry residency would never teach me post-partum depression? Remember guyz, those 4 weeks or you're f-ed. Man, my school doesn't require I do a radiology rotation, so I guess when I go into Neurology, I'll never understand a radiograph.

Oh man, so you're telling me if I didn't do 4 weeks of OB/GYN and honored it that my psychiatry residency would never teach me post-partum depression? Remember guyz, those 4 weeks or you're f-ed. Man, my school doesn't require I do a radiology rotation, so I guess when I go into Neurology, I'll never understand a radiograph.
Why have MS-3 clerkships at all then if it will all be in residency? You realize that on IM and Surgery, you learn to read radiographs and the attending many times goes thru the imaging themselves right? It's not all relegated to Rads and IM/Surgery just read their reports and trust it. You're expounding on something you know nothing about. Again. @maxxor is right. I'm done here bc you're either being purposefully obtuse or are just naive.

It's still going to help you. No one is saying that doing a rotation makes you a pro at whatever the service is, it just gives you some idea what the other services are like and stuff they encounter that might help you later on down the road. It's honestly pretty cool to get to see such a wide range of stuff over a year in my opinion. I don't see your alternative. Specialize in 3rd year?

See, these kinds of things are the reasons NPs will be able to equate themselves to physicians in the future. I was talking with an MD-PHD student at my neighboring school the other day. She was giving me advice on how to "suck up", the seemingly nonsensical lack of integration of material in my curriculum and that others have gone that way before me. Well, the problem with that is the demands of healthcare are changing, and tuition is ridiculously expensive. My generation of physicians will literally be shaping the future of the profession, in a time where it is under attack. Coming out with the attitude of "this has made me a super healthcare provider" is downright destructive.

Someone mention pontification earlier. Medicine is breeds this attitude. Those two PGY1s probably think they've made it, but never stop to look around at what's going on around them.

They weren't PGY-1s, they were PGY-3s at the time. I was just saying the difference between them was how they spent their PGY-1 year.

Status
Not open for further replies.