Will there ever be too many medical schools in the US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There's talk that Step scores are going to be hidden from residency applications in 5 or so years. It will probably make it even harder for DOs to get into MD residencies.

wtf? so there is like no point of going past passing except for your e-peen?

There's talk that Step scores are going to be hidden from residency applications in 5 or so years. It will probably make it even harder for DOs to get into MD residencies.
Never going to happen. They could have made it Pass/Fail and they didn't.

Members don't see this ad :)
wtf? so there is like no point of going past passing except for your e-peen?

Well I believe 40 yrs ago no one cared much about the specific score except whether you passed. Now it seems like it's the most important factor for residency matching.

Never going to happen. They could have made it Pass/Fail and they didn't.

I was surprised, but I don't see any reason for this residency program director (of a highly ranked competitive specialty ) to lie to a group of med students.

I was surprised, but I don't see any reason for this residency program director (of a highly ranked competitive specialty ) to lie to a group of med students.

Eh. Self importance. Happens all the time.

Deans lie all the time. Many times its just they don't know what they're talking about.

Reactions: 2 users
or maybe they have a chip on their shoulder about step 1 from their days or something like that and just want to diminish it's importance. I've sorta always wondered about there being a bias where people that get high step 1 scores would then possibly overvalue step 1 scores in candidates when they are a PD

There's a difference being born with a certain characteristic and going to a lesser program because you are not academically competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
Deans lie all the time. Many times its just they don't know what they're talking about.

True, but why lie about this? A change 5 yrs out will not affect any current med student.

or maybe they have a chip on their shoulder about step 1 from their days or something like that and just want to diminish it's importance. I've sorta always wondered about there being a bias where people that get high step 1 scores would then possibly overvalue step 1 scores in candidates when they are a PD

Well, he was telling us various things we needed in order to get into that specialty. He was emphasizing the importance of doing well on the USMLEs. I do think your bias theory is probably true, just not in every case and not in this case.

So not only is COCA quickly opening substandard schools, they are taking rotation sites from all the established schools? All the DO hospitals with more than 100 beds are slowly each getting a school to go with it.

there's DO hospitals? that come before the school?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There was Arrowhead Regional that would have one of some other DO school's (Western?) better rotation sites as their main hospital. Now this proposed school is taking one of LECOM's clinical affliates (and probably one of the few LECOM that have ACGME residency programs).

I haven't looked into the other new DO schools to see if they are poaching sites, but it wouldn't be surprising

This is sad. They want a new campus with a set number of student training there then the next paragraph is "only half will stay and train here actually"....then cut the damn class size! It's just a way for them to increase funding since their alumni probably grabbed their degree and ran away with their middle finger up never to donate a penny to them again. And just as an added tidbit, this def happens at other DO schools as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I suppose if you aren't going to donate money, donating time - clerkships, lectures, etc., - are a way of giving back when you reach a certain point in your career.

MD schools poach sites from each other all the time. The new MI schools took some from either MSU or Wayne State, Dartmouth took some from right under UCSF's nose, and CNU stole some from UCD.

There was Arrowhead Regional that would have one of some other DO school's (Western?) better rotation sites as their main hospital. Now this proposed school is taking one of LECOM's clinical affliates (and probably one of the few LECOM that have ACGME residency programs).

I haven't looked into the other new DO schools to see if they are poaching sites, but it wouldn't be surprising

So not only is COCA quickly opening substandard schools, they are taking rotation sites from all the established schools? All the DO hospitals with more than 100 beds are slowly each getting a school to go with it.

AOMC is not 100 beds. It houses a handful of residencies and a chunk of students use it as their regional site for core rotations. What exactly is being taken from established schools?

AOMC by the way is already an ACGME accredited institution, and their residencies are in the process of applying for ACGME accreditation, with EM likely getting it in the next several months after a site visit (they submitted their app first). Elmira will not have a huge impact on rotation sites, because LECOM actively pursues affiliations every year, and also establishes new residencies every year.

No, not really.

What are you talking about? ARMC is NOT the same as AOMC. Unless some huge change has happened, Western isn't losing Arrowhead to LECOM. Last I heard they were losing it to a new MD school opening up nearby (you know in southern CA, literally on the opposite side of the country from LECOM).

AOMC is a regional site for LECOM only, whose residency programs and entire GME was created and sponsored by LECOM. It is, and will continue to be a LECOM site (but probably a LECOM-Elmira site). That guy in the article is a LECOM employee at that hospital, and he is the regional clinical coordinator as well as the DME.

Sites get poached ALL the time. Its what happens when you don't officially have a permanent affiliation with hospitals/GME. It happens between MD schools, it happens between DO schools, and it happens between MD and DO schools.

Also LECOM has a bunch of core clinical sites that house ACGME residencies. You clearly don't know much about the school, so why post and foam at the mouth about it?

Last edited:
AOMC is not 100 beds. It houses a handful of residencies and a chunk of students use it as their regional site for core rotations. What exactly is being taken from established schools?

AOMC by the way is already an ACGME accredited institution, and their residencies are in the process of applying for ACGME accreditation, with EM likely getting it in the next several months after a site visit (they submitted their app first). Elmira will not have a huge impact on rotation sites, because LECOM actively pursues affiliations every year, and also establishes new residencies every year.

No, not really.

What are you talking about? ARMC is NOT the same as AOMC. Unless some huge change has happened, Western isn't losing Arrowhead to LECOM. Last I heard they were losing it to a new MD school opening up nearby (you know in southern CA, literally on the opposite side of the country from LECOM).

AOMC is a regional site for LECOM only, whose residency programs and entire GME was created and sponsored by LECOM. It is, and will continue to be a LECOM site. That guy in the article is a LECOM employee at that hospital, and he is the regional clinical coordinator as well as the DME.

Sites get poached ALL the time. Its what happens when you don't officially have a permanent affiliation with hospitals/GME. It happens between MD schools, it happens between DO schools, and it happens between MD and DO schools.

Also LECOM has a bunch of core clinical sites that house ACGME residencies. You clearly don't know much about the school, so why post and foam at the mouth about it?
No one is foaming at the mouth about anything and you misinterpreted several things that I wrote

Clarify then.
My comment was about how many new DO schools are sprouting up and how many of these new schools are opening up around some of the good clinical rotations sites for DO students when one of DO students' biggest complaints I've read on this site is related to the quality of their clinical education (and when there was a thread about the proposed Arrowhead school, someone from whichever DO school rotates there was upset because he chose that DO school due to the quality of that site. So it is something that students are complaining about). It seems like any sizeable medical center is going to slowly end up being turned into its own medical school.

You didn't need to mention the fact that AOMC has ACGME residencies because I already said that in my post when I was saying that AOMC is one of LECOM's rotation sites with ACGME residencies. I also did not say it was 100 beds. I said hospitals with "more than 100 beds."

I did not say that Arrowhead and AOMC are the same or that LECOM has anything to do with Arrowhead. I talked about Arrowhead and then said "Now this proposed school," returning back to the discussion about the Elmira school.

I know AOMC is a LECOM site, but it seems like making AOMC the rotating site for LECOM-Elmira students will take a good clinical rotation site from students at the more established LECOMs. The friends I have at LECOM complain about how some of their rotations vary a lot in quality. As a non-LECOM and non-DO student, I can't see how losing a site with residency programs, with most likely more academic activity than rotation sites w/o residencies, would be a good thing for students at the other LECOMs, but maybe you know more about how it is not a negative.

My comment was about how many new DO schools are sprouting up and how many of these new schools are opening up around some of the good clinical rotations sites for DO students when one of DO students' biggest complaints I've read on this site is related to the quality of their clinical education (and when there was a thread about the proposed Arrowhead school, someone from whichever DO school rotates there was upset because he chose that DO school due to the quality of that site. So it is something that students are complaining about). It seems like any sizeable medical center is going to slowly end up being turned into its own medical school.

You didn't need to mention the fact that AOMC has ACGME residencies because I already said that in my post when I was saying that AOMC is one of LECOM's rotation sites with ACGME residencies. I also did not say it was 100 beds. I said hospitals with "more than 100 beds."

I did not say that Arrowhead and AOMC are the same or that LECOM has anything to do with Arrowhead. I talked about Arrowhead and then said "Now this proposed school," returning back to the discussion about the Elmira school.

I know AOMC is a LECOM site, but it seems like making AOMC the rotating site for LECOM-Elmira students will take a good clinical rotation site from students at the more established LECOMs. The friends I have at LECOM complain about how some of their rotations vary a lot in quality. As a non-LECOM and non-DO student, I can't see how losing a site with residency programs, with most likely more academic activity than rotation sites w/o residencies, would be a good thing for students at the other LECOMs, but maybe you know more about how it is not a negative.

The AOMC programs aren't ACGME accredited yet, just the site is. All the programs there are new. 2012 and newer. Its an OK site, but not among the best that LECOM has. The reason its now applying for ACGME accreditation is because ALL DO residencies have to apply for accreditation over the next 4 years. The majority of LECOM's core clinical sites have residency programs, and in turn, the majority (if not all) of students will eventually be training at sites with ACGME programs.

The LECOM Elmira satellite campus is being built on the same model as LECOM at Seton Hill. LECOM students are not "losing" the rotation site. What happens is that Erie and Seton Hill (and eventually Elmira) all share the LECOM core clinical sites, and the SGAs will come to an agreement about the allocation of said sites based on student preferences/demand. Its reasonable to assume that there will be a large demand for spots at AOMC and the southern tier by the Elmira campus, just as there is a large demand for Erie spots in the Erie campus, and a large demand for Pittsburgh and surrounding area spots at the Seton Hill campus. So yes, most of the Elmira campus people will be rotating at AOMC, but that doesn't mean that LECOM Erie or Seton Hill people that want to rotate there will be shut out of said rotations. It really just means there will be more places to choose from. AOMC for the most part was a site people ended up at for one reason or another. Very few people explicitly chose it as their number 1 because of how far it is from both campuses. If anything LECOM students might benefit, because closer sites have actually been established more recently (again to accommodate the addition of another campus).

My point was that LECOM expanding isn't making other LECOM students inherently lose good spots, its actually making more "good" spots. The reason for this is that LECOM goes out of its way to set up new residencies and affiliations (not saying its doing this for its students, just that it inherently benefits LECOM). LECOM even created the AOMC programs and expanded and recently established the AHN core site to serve the increase of students coming from the Seton Hill campus (opened in 2009 and first class going to cores in 2011), and they're doing the same thing at other hospitals to accommodate this change.

The AOMC programs aren't ACGME accredited yet, just the site is. All the programs there are new. 2012 and newer. Its an OK site, but not among the best that LECOM has. The reason its now applying for ACGME accreditation is because ALL DO residencies have to apply for accreditation over the next 4 years. The majority of LECOM's core clinical sites have residency programs, and in turn, the majority (if not all) of students will eventually be training at sites with ACGME programs.

The LECOM Elmira satellite campus is being built on the same model as LECOM at Seton Hill. LECOM students are not "losing" the rotation site. What happens is that Erie and Seton Hill (and eventually Elmira) all share the LECOM core clinical sites, and the SGAs will come to an agreement about the allocation of said sites based on student preferences/demand. Its reasonable to assume that there will be a large demand for spots at AOMC and the southern tier by the Elmira campus, just as there is a large demand for Erie spots in the Erie campus, and a large demand for Pittsburgh and surrounding area spots at the Seton Hill campus. So yes, most of the Elmira campus people will be rotating at AOMC, but that doesn't mean that LECOM Erie or Seton Hill people that want to rotate there will be shut out of said rotations. It really just means there will be more places to choose from. AOMC for the most part was a site people ended up at for one reason or another. Very few people explicitly chose it as their number 1 because of how far it is from both campuses. If anything LECOM students might benefit, because closer sites have actually been established more recently (again to accommodate the addition of another campus).

My point was that LECOM expanding isn't making other LECOM students inherently lose good spots, its actually making more "good" spots. The reason for this is that LECOM goes out of its way to set up new residencies and affiliations (not saying its doing this for its students, just that it inherently benefits LECOM). LECOM even created the AOMC programs and expanded and recently established the AHN core site to serve the increase of students coming from the Seton Hill campus (opened in 2009 and first class going to cores in 2011), and they're doing the same thing at other hospitals to accommodate this change.

Arnot Ogden has 175 beds. Erie and Bradenton send students there already. Those numbers must now be displaced. Bradenton also lost its agreement with FLorida Hospital Orlando and a Tampa hospital whose name escapes me now. I interviewed at multiple DO schools and 1 MD school and LECOM was the weakest program. They also don't pay their preceptors which is causing them to lose hospital affiliations as the competition creeps up and other schools are willing over to fork over more $$$ for quality sites. LECOM is basically a board-prep factory. Bradenton students also have to now pay to take shelf exams. There is no other medical school in the country with this policy, even for-profit schools. Medical Education must be more than just preparing students to be test-taking machines.

Last edited:
Greater than 1000 residency spots are created every year. The number of physicians per 100000 is increasing. Over saturation may not be soon, but its probably coming.

Greater than 1000 residency spots are created every year. The number of physicians per 100000 is increasing. Over saturation may not be soon, but its probably coming.
So you're saying medicine will eventually be like law where only the top ten schools get good prospect jobs while everyone else does paper pushing bs?

Sent from my SM-G920V using SDN mobile

So you're saying medicine will eventually be like law where only the top ten schools get good prospect jobs while everyone else does paper pushing bs?

At least in law, even if you don't find a job for several years, you can potentially practice law. In medicine, without a residency, you cannot practice as a full fledge doctor period [I mean board certified, I don't want to get into a GP discussion].

The LCME will need to put a halt on the expansion at some point (yes COCA also, but I don't trust them). Otherwise, they'd lose a lot of good potential doctors because medicine doesn't have the same security it once had.

Last edited:
Arnot Ogden has 175 beds. Erie and Bradenton send students there already. Those numbers must now be displaced. Bradenton also lost its agreement with FLorida Hospital Orlando and a Tampa hospital whose name escapes me now. I interviewed at multiple DO schools and 1 MD school and LECOM was the weakest program. They also don't pay their preceptors which is causing them to lose hospital affiliations as the competition creeps up and other schools are willing over to fork over more $$$ for quality sites. LECOM is basically a board-prep factory. Bradenton students also have to now pay to take shelf exams. There is no other medical school in the country with this policy, even for-profit schools. Medical Education must be more than just preparing students to be test-taking machines.

There are plenty of US med schools (most of them MD) that don't pay their preceptors. The ones that pay the most are actually the Carib schools, so it's barely a measure of quality.

AOMC is a 256 bed hospital. You're just wrong on that one.

Bradenton students get access to any leftover spots not taken by Erie/Seton Hill from the North. The fact that some AOMC spots go to Bradenton is more a testament to the fact that (as I said) its not a high demand site for the PA campuses and that the PA campuses have more than enough spots to accommodate Erie and Seton Hill and even have enough leftover for some Bradenton students who opt in for it (not really the majority). Its also only something like 10 students from Bradenton at AOMC, so that really won't have a big impact considering AHN expanded this year by more spots than that and there are 3 (or so) new clinical sites this year than there were last year.

As I said before, sites get poached. Its the nature of the beast. It happens at pretty much every DO school and any MD school whose home institution can't support the entire 3rd and 4th year class. LECOM doesn't pay because it ultimately has demonstrated that it doesn't have to, and big surprise if LECOM doesn't have to pay for something they won't. Tuition is also 50-100% cheaper than any other DO school (save perhaps in-state TCOM tuition).

I admit, I know very little about Bradenton. It's a branch and not a satellite, so things happen there pretty much completely independently of the rest of LECOM.

As far as shelfs, you have to pay up to $50 to take your shelfs at a prometric site. That said, there are multiple clinical sites that administer the exams so many people don't pay prometric for them. Again, I have no idea about Bradenton, but in the North anyone can take shelfs at Erie, Seton Hill, or a handful of other sites and not pay anything* (obviously by "anything" I mean an additional cost not included in tuition). On average people end up paying something like $150 for 3rd year shelfs more out of the convenience of scheduling one at prometric vs. taking it during the designated times at one of those sites. This includes students from Bradenton that are at the Northern sites.

Your argument that "LECOM is basically a board-prep factory" is basically a joke. It's no more a "board-prep factory" than any other med school. Yeah it prepares you for boards, welcome to a field that has never ending standardized tests. I'd rather go to a school that prepares me for them than one that doesn't care how I do (is there even a US school like that?). It's not like our textbook is FA and that's all we study throughout preclinical years. We use the same textbooks as any other med school, and if you're in PBL you're actually reading those textbooks multiple times.

By the way, I also interviewed at multiple DO and MD schools. The statement is meaningless. I've heard more crap lately from students at places that I thought were impressive, but didn't choose for cost/location that pretty much makes it clear that the interview tells you close to nothing about the school. Now granted most people know actually nothing about schools before the interview, so its better than not seeing it, but its hardly a measuring stick to the quality of the school. Maybe you'll realize that when you're a bit further along.

At least in law, even if you don't find a job for several years, you can potentially practice law. In medicine, without a residency, you cannot practice as a full fledge doctor period [I mean board certified, I don't want to get into a GP discussion].

The LCME will need to put a halt on the expansion at some point (yes COCA also, but I don't trust them). Otherwise, they'd lose a lot of good potential doctors because medicine doesn't have the same security it once had.

I highly doubt either set of schools would allow an appreciable number of their students to not attain residency. It will certainly get more competitive and there may be more that don't place, but there is a critical threshold where beyond that the detriment to current students would outweigh the desire to expand schools without commensurate GME expansion. Or at least I would hope that would be the case.

Last edited:

we already do mostly paperpushing BS

it won't get that bad

the problem is not the new residency spots being created, especially if they're in "in demand" specialties (they could still go empty like a lot of psych spots yearly but we'll see if the deluge of new MD grads will trickle into those spots because they are shut out of other fields)

I would be more afraid going in as a pre-med or future med school grad that hates all primary care and other lesser competitive fields than anyone that has matched into a primary care field

other specialties are hurting from oversaturation

like I'm always telling people, go into a primary care field and even if there's a zombocalypse you can trade your services for bullets or something

Reactions: 4 users
we already do mostly paperpushing BS

it won't get that bad

the problem is not the new residency spots being created, especially if they're in "in demand" specialties (they could still go empty like a lot of psych spots yearly but we'll see if the deluge of new MD grads will trickle into those spots because they are shut out of other fields)

I would be more afraid going in as a pre-med or future med school grad that hates all primary care and other lesser competitive fields than anyone that has matched into a primary care field

other specialties are hurting from oversaturation

like I'm always telling people, go into a primary care field and even if there's a zombocalypse you can trade your services for bullets or something

Are you allowed to trade your bullets for services too?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'd like to see a map of the US with a dot where every medical school is located. Might be a bit of an eye opener.

I'd like to see a map of the US with a dot where every medical school is located. Might be a bit of an eye opener.

There's this really cool invention that just came out called google. You can put in literally anything you're interested in and a list of things that are relevant to your interest will pop up. It's amazing, you should try it out. Just be sure to get your parent's permission before using the internet.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8&msa=0&ie=UTF8&mid=1yAdRuBw9Avr0Iy-C_WcSgNK73bQ

There's this really cool invention that just came out called google. You can put in literally anything you're interested in and a list of things that are relevant to your interest will pop up. It's amazing, you should try it out. Just be sure to get your parent's permission before using the internet.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?oe=UTF8&msa=0&ie=UTF8&mid=1yAdRuBw9Avr0Iy-C_WcSgNK73bQ

Google was created by the rich and powerful as an opiate for the masses ;) Thanks for the map.

Idaho & Montana got shafted.

upload_2016-6-27_7-3-45.png

We keep hearing about how the US is opening new medical schools to make up for the doctor shortage in america. Does anyone think that this may lead to a law school like situation where you have too many graduates but not enough jobs? I know it won't happen immediately but perhaps somewhere down the future.

This is an interesting question, from my perspective, the LCME MD schools are opening up at a steady pace, the LCME tends to have more stringent criteria compared to COCA, so when a new Allopathic school opens, they usually meet very high standards. For DO schools its a different matter, many current DO schools open up branch campuses in far off geographic locales. Midwestern University has a campus that is not in the Midwest, but in the Southwest, just outside of Phoenix. PCOM has a campus in Georgia. LECOM has several campuses.

I think with the expansion of medical schools the people most adversely affected in the future will be DO students. Right now we do fairly well, I recently finished my degree at a DO school, and recently started residency. I think future DO students, maybe around those who graduate 2025 or later will find things will be different, who really knows.

This is an interesting question, from my perspective, the LCME MD schools are opening up at a steady pace, the LCME tends to have more stringent criteria compared to COCA, so when a new Allopathic school opens, they usually meet very high standards. For DO schools its a different matter, many current DO schools open up branch campuses in far off geographic locales. Midwestern University has a campus that is not in the Midwest, but in the Southwest, just outside of Phoenix. PCOM has a campus in Georgia. LECOM has several campuses.

I think with the expansion of medical schools the people most adversely affected in the future will be DO students. Right now we do fairly well, I recently finished my degree at a DO school, and recently started residency. I think future DO students, maybe around those who graduate 2025 or later will find things will be different, who really knows.
The best projection at this time still has ~4500 more PGY1 positions than USMD/DO grads in 2024. It would then take at minimum >5 years to close that gap. So basically US grads are good until at least 2030, which is people that are in like 7th grade now. There's nothing to worry about.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1511707?rss=searchAndBrowse&#t=article

We keep hearing about how the US is opening new medical schools to make up for the doctor shortage in america. Does anyone think that this may lead to a law school like situation where you have too many graduates but not enough jobs? I know it won't happen immediately but perhaps somewhere down the future.
I think we've already reached that point. People aren't getting matched with residency.

It’s not even an issue for DOs who are equally self aware of their competitiveness for certain fields or programs.
What do you mean by realistic? It sounds like a ton of schools are opening and people aren't getting trained.if you graduate from medical school, you should be able to do what you want.

What do you mean by realistic? It sounds like a ton of schools are opening and people aren't getting trained.if you graduate from medical school, you should be able to do what you want.

There are more than enough residency spots for all US trained physicians.
Residency spots are limited overall by the government and the specialties themselves. You don’t get to train in anything you want just because you want to. It doesn’t work that way.
Get used to it.

--
Il Destriero

Reactions: 4 users

Do you also think anyone who graduates UG should be able to do what they want as long as it's in their major? Ideally that would be nice. Realistically that would be absolutely disastrous.

By realistic, he means that if you graduate from a US medical school, you can become a doctor without worry. Period. Doesn't mean you'll get to go into residency in the field or location you want (that hasn't been a guarantee for decades), but you will be a physician.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.