will me being a d.o. be a problem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docmd2010

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i'll be a do in 2010 and want to be a neurosurgeon...Is this possible? I'm hoping that being a do won't be a roadblock in my career...pleae help!

Members don't see this ad.

definite roadblock... think twice about it...

DO would be fine if you were unsure what you wanted to do... but if you definitely want to be a neurosurgeon then you will probably need to go MD route... and also excel there...

I know pcom has a few DO neurosurg spots that are for DO's only...your school may too. Look into the number of DO spots available and you may have a better handle on the situation. Either way, you better be prepared to be one of the strongest applicants in the country (DO or MD) to consider applying for neurosurgery. I will concede that a specialty as highly competative as this is likely to be obtained easier as an MD....

Best to go MD if you can, but if you are already in your DO school, then you can just do well on your boards, etc. and go for a DO NeuroSx residency

My friend who just matched neurosurg said the chances of a DO matching is almost nil. Even if you were an absolute superstar DO student, a program who will rank you is risking their reputation if they take a DO. Sorry, it sounds harsh but most likely true. This is as big a roadblock as you can get.

I think that depends on if you are going in the DO or Allo match. There are few of DO neurosurg residency programs, if you are going for the MD match you might have some big roadblocks. I think if you are going to a DO school I would definately do the DO match. Just my $.02

I concur with above. There are a number of DO neurosurgery programs around. That being said, I would say getting into MD neurosurgery programs is difficult as it is.. and even more difficult as a DO, but there are usually always people who are exceptions to the rule.

Chances are, after 4 years of medical school, you might want to do something else. Before I started, I was SO sure I was going to be an orthopod. I went to an MD school, did ortho research and was pretty competitive, but eventually decided to internal medicine instead. I changed my mind because I want to be an intensivist - you might find something else you like too. Moral of the story: go to whatever school you can get into, pay enought attention during your 1st 2 years to rock your boards, and keep an open mind during clinicals. You might find that something other than drilling heads will strike your fancy....

One of my classmates just matched to a DO neurosurgery residency. He did have a backup plan though (neurology or IM) in case he didn't match. He rotated at the programs that he was most interested in. In the DO world, it's a lot about who you know and if you rotate somewhere and they like you, you have a very good chance of getting a spot there (for almost any specialty).
I agree that you may change your mind during school, but if not - go for it! Best of luck to you! :luck:

thanks for the honest responses guys. are there are other fields that will be closed out to me because i'm a d.o.? (i want to get an allopathic residency) so do you guys think that i should go ahead and go to d.o.school? or reapply next year for md? i've already been admitted to do school, so what do you guys think?

thanks a lot

As previously stated, it's probably good to keep an open mind going into medical school as your mind can change many many times about what specialty you'll want to do. I think to make a medical school decision based on what your preceived specialty will be years from now may not be taking all factors into consideration. Also think about the extra year off and if that is really worth it in your mind.

All this being said, just realize that whatever is being said these days about DO's, to state that you may have to look more towards primary care specialties because you're in a DO school is outdated.

You might want to look at the various match lists from the different DO schools (I think that resource is available on SDN forums) and see how the matches have gone for neurosurgery or other specialties.

Good luck!

I hear OMT is very useful in neurosurgery. Is there any truth to that? :confused:

I don't know about OMT in neurosurg...but anything's possible. :D

I think that if you want to go to MD school, you should not accept the DO spot. If you do want to get the additional training of a DO student (i.e. OMT) to supplement your medical knowledge, then you should go to DO school. There are people at DO schools who are unhappy because they are at DO school because they couldn't get into MD school. There are also people at DO school who could have gone to MD school but are there because of the training and the philosophy... if your heart is set on MD school, you will probably be happier going to one. If you can accept the DO philosophy and practices, don't worry about being limited in your training. Anything is possible. I'm not sure if I'm just rambling or if this makes sense, but either way its just my opinion and observation. In the end you need to do what you think will make you happy and get you to where you want to be.

:luck:

Ok, I am sorry if this sounds like something a fourth-grader would say but I don't understand real-world differences between a DO and MD in terms of what they can do (training?)

I have heard that a DO is most suited for Peds, FP, or IM. For an MD however, everything is fair game. If being a DO is limiting yourself, why do it, except maybe for the OMM. Is a DOs training inferior to that of an MD? Are they not as competent (there are good and bad on both sides)? How do MDs view DOs and vice versa?

With that said I need to rant for a moment about how things seem:
Im a sophomore with a 3.4 gpa and a 3.6 science/math gpa, though I have not taken most of my prereqs, nor my MCATs. Plus I am getting my EMT-B and shadowing and volunteering. Oh yeah, and I have a job and help Special Olympics AND am a member of the Exercise Science Society at my school. I really have no idea how I will do in classes like O-Chem and Physics II (got a B in Physics I), which are actually the only classes I am worried about. I cannot promise As or Bs..which if I do not get, that pretty much ends my chances of MD school, unless I get a 30+ on my MCATs..MAYBE!!!

I think I am just frustrated because I hear "34 MCAT and 3.9998 GPA". I can't promise that but I can promise that I want to be a Physician more than anything else. And I know I'd make a damn fine one at that. But if all I can get into is a DO program, I do not want to be treated as if I am "inferior". So the question remains..does it matter which route someone goes?

sorry for the long post

dxu

PalCareGrl said:
I don't know about OMT in neurosurg...but anything's possible. :D

I think that if you want to go to MD school, you should not accept the DO spot. If you do want to get the additional training of a DO student (i.e. OMT) to supplement your medical knowledge, then you should go to DO school. There are people at DO schools who are unhappy because they are at DO school because they couldn't get into MD school. There are also people at DO school who could have gone to MD school but are there because of the training and the philosophy... if your heart is set on MD school, you will probably be happier going to one. If you can accept the DO philosophy and practices, don't worry about being limited in your training. Anything is possible. I'm not sure if I'm just rambling or if this makes sense, but either way its just my opinion and observation. In the end you need to do what you think will make you happy and get you to where you want to be.

:luck:

To me, my degree is immaterial-of course i only prefer md over do because the md will gimme more options... i just want to practice medicine, but i don't want to be limited with my career options after i graduate med school. i don't give two ***** what my degree is. i believe in the philosophy that a physician's competency is judged by his performance and not by two letters behind his name. any thoughts?

To the OP,
not just neurosurgery which is really competitive no matter who you are. But, I think alot of the DO vs MD attitude has to do with the area of the country you are in. Some areas have DO schools that have been around longer and have tons of respect in their geographic area. Other places aren't as familar.
To the person who talked about people going to DO school when they can't get into MD school and how that isn't always the best choice. I agree.
There are many many students who transfer from US DO schools to the carib MD schools. It just wasn't the right fit for them from the begining.

NOTHING against DO or meaning to become a DO vs MD arguement, but it is important to go to one or the other for the right reasons.

I know it sounds like a broken record, but most people do change their minds. A lot depends on how much real exposure you have had to the field and why it is you want to be a neurosurgeon. If you are set on it and can't make the MD cut, then the next best chance for success is DO school. I bet there isn't ONE carib grad doing neurosurgery. There has to be a couple DO neurosurgeons in allopathic residencies somewhere.

Good Luck! At the end of the day, you will be a doc no matter where you go. I really think it is regional as to what the general population thinks about DO vs MD. It is a real factor with certain residencies though.

dxu said:
I have heard that a DO is most suited for Peds, FP, or IM. For an MD however, everything is fair game. If being a DO is limiting yourself, why do it, except maybe for the OMM. Is a DOs training inferior to that of an MD? Are they not as competent (there are good and bad on both sides)? How do MDs view DOs and vice versa? dxu

DOs are well suited for and well trained for just about any area of medicine, regardless of how difficult it is for them to obtain certain residencies. They make up such a small group of docs when it comes to finding allopathic residencies, and this puts them at a disadvantage. With regards to training, I attend a school where DOs and MDs take most of the same classes their first year. A lot of the DO students far surpass their MD colleagues in these courses. I am sure there are plenty of MD students that do better than some of the DO students. In chosing your field, it becomes a very personal thing and you need to follow the philosophy and the training you believe in the most. :)

Okay, i was wrong. I admit that. There are a few carib students who have matched neurosurgery in the last couple of years. SABA, Ross and SGU I believe. I am surprised.
I always wonder what kind of connections those people might have had though. If their daddies were cheifs or something.

penguins said:
Okay, i was wrong. I admit that. There are a few carib students who have matched neurosurgery in the last couple of years. SABA, Ross and SGU I believe. I am surprised.
I always wonder what kind of connections those people might have had though. If their daddies were cheifs or something.
Hey Penguins!
May be SMU will match somebody in NS this year :) ? SABA is only few years older, and they only got Cali approval in 2004. That means that NS resident went to SABA on faith.
Hope you've got your #1 today :D
Good Luck on yor journey.

docmd2010 said:
hey guys, i'll be a do in 2010 and want to be a neurosurgeon...Is this possible? I'm hoping that being a do won't be a roadblock in my career...pleae help!

There are DO neurosurgery residencies. I also know of plans of new ones opening.

billydoc said:
Hey Penguins!
May be SMU will match somebody in NS this year :) ? SABA is only few years older, and they only got Cali approval in 2004. That means that NS resident went to SABA on faith.
Hope you've got your #1 today :D
Good Luck on yor journey.

Thanks. I went through the SF Match and got my #1 there. Today was just for prelim year which is at the same place. Still a relief to see in black and white though. :)

I go to ccom and did a neurosurgery elective in bloomington, il. it was in the middle of nowhere, but it was still neurosurgery. it was a do program and there were other students auditioning for a spot in the program. from talking to these students, it seemed to me that there were a quite a few good do neurosurgery programs. if you are very passionate about it, and don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, I don't see why you couldn't go for neurosurgery as a do. just my opinion.

tiger4evr said:
I go to ccom and did a neurosurgery elective in bloomington, il. it was in the middle of nowhere, but it was still neurosurgery. it was a do program and there were other students auditioning for a spot in the program. from talking to these students, it seemed to me that there were a quite a few good do neurosurgery programs. if you are very passionate about it, and don't mind living in the middle of nowhere, I don't see why you couldn't go for neurosurgery as a do. just my opinion.

Neurosurgery in the middle of nowhere? must be a great program. You cant go into something that specialized and expect to recieve adequate training by living in a rural setting. You need a University setting with a large tertiary/trauma facility. I mean alot of what NSG does is emergent. Do you really expect to get the exposure you need in the middle of nowhere?

To the OP, if you really want to go into NSG or something like that then you really need to be going to an allopathic program from the start. Sure you can get in through a DO program but you have already stated you want an allopathic residency. So why go DO in the first place?

usnavdoc said:
Neurosurgery in the middle of nowhere? must be a great program. You cant go into something that specialized and expect to recieve adequate training by living in a rural setting. You need a University setting with a large tertiary/trauma facility. I mean alot of what NSG does is emergent. Do you really expect to get the exposure you need in the middle of nowhere?

To the OP, if you really want to go into NSG or something like that then you really need to be going to an allopathic program from the start. Sure you can get in through a DO program but you have already stated you want an allopathic residency. So why go DO in the first place?

i think you are missing my point. pardon my french, but **** happens--emergencies and whatnot-- in the middle of nowhere, too. do neurosurgery programs are quite strong regardless of their reputation. so i don't know what you are talking about. do you need the big school name, or do you "just want to be a neurosurgeon"? as ironic as that sounds. and who mentioned wanting an allopathic position?

tiger4evr said:
i think you are missing my point. pardon my french, but **** happens--emergencies and whatnot-- in the middle of nowhere, too. do neurosurgery programs are quite strong regardless of their reputation. so i don't know what you are talking about. do you need the big school name, or do you "just want to be a neurosurgeon"? as ironic as that sounds. and who mentioned wanting an allopathic position?

oh-sorry i just noticed the op prefers allopathic to osteopathic. hmm. good luck buddy....it's funny how sdn automatcally blocks out bad words. :laugh:

tiger4evr said:

Emergencies do happen everywhere. But not to the same degree or tempo. You need that kind of exposure as a resident. I just dont believe you will see what you need to in the middle of nowhere. Sure you may do a case every now and then with extreme pathology but the guys in a large university setting tertiary/level 1 facility do that day in and day out as well as bread and butter cases. Facilities like you are mentioning refer those cases to places like im talking about.

The same conversation can be had of any specialty that is this specialized. Your not just looking at your specialty you are looking at all the support specialties as well. MRI, nuc med, Neuro radiologists, interventional rads, intensivists, Trauma, anesthesiology, CC nurses on and on... All the supporting players on hand at all times.

tiger4evr said:
oh-sorry i just noticed the op prefers allopathic to osteopathic. hmm. good luck buddy....it's funny how sdn automatcally blocks out bad words. :laugh:

The OP did say he wanted an allopathic program only for neurosurg.

i agree with some of the information above, but however, after speaking to residency directors across the country, they have told me that they look at applicants and their scores and grades and not their degree. You're telling me that if you're a residency coordinator, and you have 2 applicants, an md and a do, and the md has a step 1 score of 233 and the do has a score of 260, the md was in the top 50% of his class, the do was in the top 10% of his class, that the d.o. won't get preference? Granted, the md might have had more competition in his class, so his ranking might be a little lower, but come on...that's like if two people in high school were applying to college, one was from a small, rural high school of 8 people and got an SAT of 1540 and you got another kid who was from a rich, famous high school who got a 1350, you're gonna select the latter?
I agree that getting into a us allo school is more competitive than a us osteo school, but come on, if the osteo student goes to med school and proves him/her self and works his way up to the caliber of an allopath, than why discriminate based on the degree? that's like saying that in college they won't admit somebody because they were held back in first grade (but of course, did very well in high school). just my two cents....

There is not a big difference between DOs and MDs. DOs have the EXACT same training as MDs, however, they have the additional class of OMT, which is manipulation with the hands. Truth be told, OMT gives you a stronger grasp of anatomy, and the DO philosophy "mind, body, and spirit" gives you the background to be a kind, caring and compassionate doctor. Most DOs nowadays are pretty competitive in the MD world. For instance, several of my classmates matched yesterday to top MD anesthesia programs, which is a highly competitive field.

DOs are highly regarded, and are not "inferior." I have found in several of my rotations with MDs, they are usually impressed with the knowledge that a DO student has, and are glad to be a preceptor to them. My advice to you would be to visit some DO and MD schools and compare them. Which one do you feel fits you better? Don't base your decision on whether or not you can get a residency...anybody can do anything if you put your mind to it. It's a personal choice.

You are well on your way to being an excellent physician...your grades look good and your experience in the medical field will give you a competitive edge...

Good luck in your quest to be a doc...

docjr06 said:
There is not a big difference between DOs and MDs. DOs have the EXACT same training as MDs, however, they have the additional class of OMT, which is manipulation with the hands. Truth be told, OMT gives you a stronger grasp of anatomy, and the DO philosophy "mind, body, and spirit" gives you the background to be a kind, caring and compassionate doctor. Most DOs nowadays are pretty competitive in the MD world. For instance, several of my classmates matched yesterday to top MD anesthesia programs, which is a highly competitive field.

DOs are highly regarded, and are not "inferior." I have found in several of my rotations with MDs, they are usually impressed with the knowledge that a DO student has, and are glad to be a preceptor to them. My advice to you would be to visit some DO and MD schools and compare them. Which one do you feel fits you better? Don't base your decision on whether or not you can get a residency...anybody can do anything if you put your mind to it. It's a personal choice.

You are well on your way to being an excellent physician...your grades look good and your experience in the medical field will give you a competitive edge...

Good luck in your quest to be a doc...

That sounds like an AOA commercial.

:laugh:

One thing you need to realize is that neurosurgery is EXTREMELY competitive. It is a field populated by MD/PHD's and people that WANT to do 7+ years of residency. At one time, I did a lot of research into the topic and ultimately decided NS wasnt for me. If you are set on it, understand that an osteopathic NS residency will be your best chance. If you want to be a NS in this day and age, shine at a DO school and get a DO residency. As an MD/DO applying for allopathic residency, it can be incredibly difficult to distinguish yourself. I know very little about the quality of the osteopathic NS residencies, but many of them are in nice locations (Chicago, Philly, NYC, Cali) and more than a few are run by MD's.

Idiopathic said:
One thing you need to realize is that neurosurgery is EXTREMELY competitive. It is a field populated by MD/PHD's and people that WANT to do 7+ years of residency. At one time, I did a lot of research into the topic and ultimately decided NS wasnt for me. If you are set on it, understand that an osteopathic NS residency will be your best chance. If you want to be a NS in this day and age, shine at a DO school and get a DO residency. As an MD/DO applying for allopathic residency, it can be incredibly difficult to distinguish yourself. I know very little about the quality of the osteopathic NS residencies, but many of them are in nice locations (Chicago, Philly, NYC, Cali) and more than a few are run by MD's.

See now those places have more potential. I was never making this into a DO vs MD thing. Im just saying doing NSG at a smaller rural community level hospital isnt the best way to go.

usnavdoc said:
See now those places have more potential. I was never making this into a DO vs MD thing. Im just saying doing NSG at a smaller rural community level hospital isnt the best way to go.

I agree. While I cant attest to the quality of any program, MD residencies typically have larger caseloads and more variety, but if you HAVE TO BE A NEUROSURGEON, then you have to get a spot first.

OSUdoc08 said:
That sounds like an AOA commercial.

I've been hoping that if I do things like this for them, they'll pay back my loans... :idea:

On my rotation, most of our surgeries were scheduled cervical fusions, hemilaminectomies and other types of spinal cord decompression procedures. We did do a few emergent surgeries, like subdural hematomas, ruptured discs, etc. It was small hospital, but the residents there do rotations at 4 other area hospitals (Children's, and area level 1 trauma centers), so they do get the necessary experience, just not all at the same hospital. At the other sites, there are MD neurosurgery residencies too. During my rotation, I did hear it said that there is a different attitude and a bit of an "assumption of incompetence" regarding the DO residents by the MD attendings, but both residents that I was with said they had to overcome it at first. This is something that students and residents have to overcome quite frequently anyway though, IMO.

I am often reminded about how much misinformation is floating around on SDN forums. Every once and I gain the muster and feel compelled to help clear some of it up. I matched DO neurosurgery this year.

To the original poster, go to the medical school where you feel you'd fit in best. Don’t try to sweat the residency stuff until you're "in the thick of things." If you still find yourself die hard for neurosurg then you can make some strategic moves prior to applying in order to give yourself the best shot for matching well.

Generally, all residency programs must be accredited. In both the MD and DO world this is done by branches of the AMA and AOA, respectively. Their standards for accreditation are very similar for the most part and probably even more stringent for surgical programs.

No matter which route you take (DO or MD), applying for and matching in neurosurgery (either DO or MD) is not an easy feat. Yes, it does take all of the obvious things: good grades, board scores, LOR's but in both (and probably more so in DO neursurg) it takes strong interpersonal skills and an exceptional interview day. It’s tough. On the other hand, research and pubs probably will count more with MD neursurg than DO neurosurg, however, this is variable depending on program. Essentially, the qualifications required are very much equivalent. Similar to MD programs, audition rotations are useful, however, not mandatory. In my case, I ended up matching into a program in which I did not complete a rotation. Surgical specialties remain very competitive in both worlds and there is no single attribute or qualification that guarantees you a spot when it comes to neurosurgery.

There are about a dozen DO neurosurgery programs currently or in the process of opening. Historically, many DO residencies are not at huge tertiary teaching centers. This may have something to do with the DO tradition of serving the rural/underserved populations or the fact that many DO schools are not affiliated with large universities (exceptions are MSU, NSU, Ohio and a couple of others). However, none of the current DO neurosurgery residencies are in truly "rural" locations and I am sure that if they were changes in curriculum would be made so that the resident would have ample experience with trauma via affiliated hospitals. This is not an option but mandatory as accreditation rests on these varied clinical experiences for licensure/advancement. Further, if you've spent a lot of time in neurosurgery you will see that, although trauma is something neurosurgeons must handle, other huge parts of their practices (the "bread and butter," if you will) is their spine and peripheral nerve work. All programs, MD or DO give you ample time in trauma so that you can perform a crani or complex spine cases at 3AM in the morning without much sleep.

In regard to a previous poster's comment about DO neursurg "assumption of incompetence" this argument may be made for any newly "minted" resident from any program, MD or DO. I'm almost certain that if you were to speak to a seasoned attending he would tell you of incompetent surgeons, regardless of their degree. I know of several DO neurosurgeon graduates who continued into prestigious fellowship positions, one at Northwestern (where he is currently faculty) and another at Barrow Neurological Institute, among others. I only give these two as examples to show that they are probably not considered "incompetent" in the eyes of these fellowship program directors. Almost all of the DO neurosurgery residencies are run by MD's, probably since they make up such a large population of currently boarded neurosurgeons.

I would really be disappointed if this turned into another DO vs. MD (residency) thread. Truthfully, I think that there is limited information available about DO neurosurgery residencies fueling a lot of the current speculation and misinformation. A lot of this stuff is pretty obvious. My hope that these comments may provide you with some candid, historically correct insight, albeit biased, on my experiences thus far.

If you really want to do something hard enough, you will find a way to do it. No matter which medical school you go to: do well in your first two years, kick the boards and get some good surgical experience.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions or comments you have.

You tell 'em roomie! :D Well said!

Careofme said:
I am often reminded about how much misinformation is floating around on SDN forums. Every once and I gain the muster and feel compelled to help clear some of it up. I matched DO neurosurgery this year.

To the original poster, go to the medical school where you feel you'd fit in best. Don’t try to sweat the residency stuff until you're "in the thick of things." If you still find yourself die hard for neurosurg then you can make some strategic moves prior to applying in order to give yourself the best shot for matching well.

Generally, all residency programs must be accredited. In both the MD and DO world this is done by branches of the AMA and AOA, respectively. Their standards for accreditation are very similar for the most part and probably even more stringent for surgical programs.

No matter which route you take (DO or MD), applying for and matching in neurosurgery (either DO or MD) is not an easy feat. Yes, it does take all of the obvious things: good grades, board scores, LOR's but in both (and probably more so in DO neursurg) it takes strong interpersonal skills and an exceptional interview day. It’s tough. On the other hand, research and pubs probably will count more with MD neursurg than DO neurosurg, however, this is variable depending on program. Essentially, the qualifications required are very much equivalent. Similar to MD programs, audition rotations are useful, however, not mandatory. In my case, I ended up matching into a program in which I did not complete a rotation. Surgical specialties remain very competitive in both worlds and there is no single attribute or qualification that guarantees you a spot when it comes to neurosurgery.

There are about a dozen DO neurosurgery programs currently or in the process of opening. Historically, many DO residencies are not at huge tertiary teaching centers. This may have something to do with the DO tradition of serving the rural/underserved populations or the fact that many DO schools are not affiliated with large universities (exceptions are MSU, NSU, Ohio and a couple of others). However, none of the current DO neurosurgery residencies are in truly "rural" locations and I am sure that if they were changes in curriculum would be made so that the resident would have ample experience with trauma via affiliated hospitals. This is not an option but mandatory as accreditation rests on these varied clinical experiences for licensure/advancement. Further, if you've spent a lot of time in neurosurgery you will see that, although trauma is something neurosurgeons must handle, other huge parts of their practices (the "bread and butter," if you will) is their spine and peripheral nerve work. All programs, MD or DO give you ample time in trauma so that you can perform a crani or complex spine cases at 3AM in the morning without much sleep.

In regard to a previous poster's comment about DO neursurg "assumption of incompetence" this argument may be made for any newly "minted" resident from any program, MD or DO. I'm almost certain that if you were to speak to a seasoned attending he would tell you of incompetent surgeons, regardless of their degree. I know of several DO neurosurgeon graduates who continued into prestigious fellowship positions, one at Northwestern (where he is currently faculty) and another at Barrow Neurological Institute, among others. I only give these two as examples to show that they are probably not considered "incompetent" in the eyes of these fellowship program directors. Almost all of the DO neurosurgery residencies are run by MD's, probably since they make up such a large population of currently boarded neurosurgeons.

I would really be disappointed if this turned into another DO vs. MD (residency) thread. Truthfully, I think that there is limited information available about DO neurosurgery residencies fueling a lot of the current speculation and misinformation. A lot of this stuff is pretty obvious. My hope that these comments may provide you with some candid, historically correct insight, albeit biased, on my experiences thus far.

If you really want to do something hard enough, you will find a way to do it. No matter which medical school you go to: do well in your first two years, kick the boards and get some good surgical experience.

Good luck and feel free to PM me with any questions or comments you have.

excellent post future neurosurgeon. you are a future brain surgeon, i bow to your genius, and have understood your views. thank you for taking the time for making such an insightful post. i wish you the best.

I don't know how you can possibly know you want to be a neurosurgeon before you even take gross anatomy. Memorize about 300 cross sections of the freaking brainstem and cortex and call me if you still want to do neurosurgery. Also, no offense, but just because you want to do NS doesn't mean you can from ANY route. Its sadly likely against great odds that you would become a NS either way. Just worry about getting in to medical school before you start building your dream house. There is virtually nothing closed to DO's any longer. This year I know people who matched from DO schools into ACGME plastics, derm, ortho, ophtho, gas, EM (me included), path, IM, FM, peds, OBGYN, PMR, Urology, and more.....so really I no longer think anything is beyond possibility. NS might be tough, but its not as competitive as it used to be. So do what makes you happy.

corpsmanUP said:
I don't know how you can possibly know you want to be a neurosurgeon before you even take gross anatomy. Memorize about 300 cross sections of the freaking brainstem and cortex and call me if you still want to do neurosurgery.