Will I get in? So-So statistics.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopingtobePT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just joined SDN and am hoping someone wouldn't mind evaluating my statistics?

Major: biology
Science GPA: 3.13
Overall GPA: 3.025 (
* my GPA is low but I only have about 5 C's. I only have 2 A's on my transcript, I generally get B's.

GRE: 550 V 580 Q 4.0 A
Extracurriculars: worked as an athletic trainer freshman year, sorority member, environmental club member.
Hours: 20 hospital(in process), 18 outpatient, 20 pediatric

I know my stats aren't that great... but do you think i have a chance?
Thanks so much!
Elyse

Members don't see this ad.

Really? my stats are around there as well, what schools did you apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
i see, perhaps it is cause you are in a different area than me. I think my area has far more applicants so it is much more competitive. I'm in NY.

I am applying in the midwest, mainly the chicagoland area.

Would anyone from this area be willing to evaluate my chances. Thank you to those from Arizona, but I am nervous about my chances near my home in NW Indiana.

Hello to all!

Long time follower of the PT Board who recently got up the courage to start an account and actually post on the board. :)

I love this board for the honest opinions everyone gives one another, so I'd like someone to do the same for me. I'm now in the process of applying for 2010 and would like some opinions about my stats.

Graduated Dec. 2008

Overall GPA: ~3.1(took OChem because an adviser recommended it and found out that no PT school in their right mind would require OChem).
Pre-requisite GPA: 2.8ish(maybe a bit lower) (bad grades early with Gen Chem slow me down). Out of school now so don't know how much I can bring up my GPA but I did retake 2 physics classes at a CC which actually gave me a better appreciation of physics.

Diagnosed with traits of a learning disability at the end of my senior year of college. By no means an excuse but it took most of my college career to figure out how I learn and how to apply that to the classroom.

GRE: 1140 (570 V, 570 Q, 4.5 AW)

Total Observational Hours: 150 hrs (job market making it EXTREMELY difficult in my area to find PT Aide job). Would always love more hours to see more examples of cases/patients.

Like most PT school applicants I have solid recommendations and lots of leadership experience from health center advisory committees and I started a pre-PT club at my university.

Looks like right now I'm going to apply to 8-9 schools. I really like USA's program and have for some time. I'm also including 2-3 "reach" schools (Creighton, Regis, U. New England) in the mix mostly because of the high variability in class composition every year and not knowing what an admissions committee will value with that particular class year. Plus I try not to have any regrets and not applying would be a regret.

Any thoughts/comments always greatly appreciated!

Looks like you have great stats, GPA in pre-req is but is not low, it's the min requirement, but your GRE's are excellent, so this should balance out. Make sure your Essays are solid and interview is solid and you should be good to go. Also for the learning disability, look at it as a strength, rather then a weakness (I felt like u were unhappy about it) PT schools, the Licenseing Exam, and everyone else give you extra time if you need it. If you bring this up @ the beginning then the licensing exam also gives you more time if they see you required it in the class room. so Use it to your advantage.

But You look to be in great shape. If you like u can retake the chem classes, but see how your applciations go.

Hello to all!

Long time follower of the PT Board who recently got up the courage to start an account and actually post on the board. :)

Any thoughts/comments always greatly appreciated!

Best of luck getting in to your choice schools. I'm also applying for Fall 2010 cycle too. I havent heard for schools yet but i've seen some good advice floating around. Since your GREs are pretty good, i would use your essay (or the additional essay "Does your academic transcript accurately reflect your abilities etc..") to show that even though your grades aren't the highest you can succeed in your core classes. If you can convince them that you have knowledge of the PT field and that you can succeed through the academic rigors of PT school you should be in good shape. Best of luck again!

Thanks to DocPayne and Bigshoguns and good luck to you(DocPayne) too! Application process definitely stressful and lots to keep track of. Good luck to all 2010 (and future) applicants! :)

I don't believe for a second that he got into 4/5 schools with less than a 3.0. In Texas/Oklahoma you can't even get an interview anywhere unless you have a 3.0. Sounds fishy, but maybe it's a lot less competitive up north. I just can't believe it.

Its true. My actual GPA was 3.49 but ptcas calc'ed it out to a 3.1. 4/5 accepted. Its not all about the stats. Unless you weren't referring to me...

Why did it go down so much when they calculated it?

Just joined SDN and am hoping someone wouldn't mind evaluating my statistics?

Major: biology
Science GPA: 3.13
Overall GPA: 3.025 (
* my GPA is low but I only have about 5 C's. I only have 2 A's on my transcript, I generally get B's.

GRE: 550 V 580 Q 4.0 A
Extracurriculars: worked as an athletic trainer freshman year, sorority member, environmental club member.
Hours: 20 hospital(in process), 18 outpatient, 20 pediatric

I know my stats aren't that great... but do you think i have a chance?
Thanks so much!
Elyse

There are a lot of schools where your stats are more than acceptable. What area do you want to go to school in (south, east coast, west coast, midwest, etc)?

When did you hear from Regis?
I am still waiting to hear from pretty much all the schools I applied to. My stats are close to yours and just hoping and waiting. Has anyone else heard from Regis?

I am currently working on my pre reqs and am applying to three schools-

Elon University
St. Augustine
University of Maryland Eastern Shore

Does anyone have any advice?? My "stats" are not that impressive and I know I need to retake the GRE. I didn't study and have been out of school for 5 years...hence to LOW score.

3.4 gpa
790 GRE

Also, I currently have a great job as a Health Coach with the County Health Department but I feel I should be working as a tech/aide. I recently was offered a position as a tech in an outpatient facility. This would be a huge pay cut and loss of benefits but I feel it shows that I am more committed to the field. Anyone have any advice?