how will covid change the PT industry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeep69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there going to be requirements all PTs wear N95 masks from now on? will reimbursements decline, etc....

Members don't see this ad.

There is no way to know for sure what will happen. I don't suspect that masks will be a requirement once it is all over. In regards to reimbursement, my workplace just recently started telehealth PT, medicare does not cover telehealth PT, and several other insurances have reimbursement restrictions for telehealth PT that they don't have for in-person visits. I do think though that telehealth PT will expand even more in the coming years as a result of this. Also, if covid and social distancing goes on long enough, I suspect there will be a lot of bankruptcies, and not just among private PT outpatient clinics. If this occurs, PT jobs will continue to be harder to come by until the economy is able to recover, which is not likely for at least a couple of years according to most economists. You also have to consider the PT places that do survive are likely going to try to make up for the huge loss in revenue when they are able. This could include not hiring as many people, decreasing benefits, double booking, ect.

Reactions: 1 user
are there going to be requirements all PTs wear N95 masks from now on? will reimbursements decline, etc....
You don't need that mask unless you are treating a COVID patient or someone with some other kind of contagious respiratory infection.