Can I get into DPT school? If so, where do you suggest? If not, What can I do to get in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PaulineG

Reaction score
Hello all
I am lost! I graduated with a BS in exercise science and nutrition, and a Minor in Health Sciences. I have an abundance of volunteer and work experience, as well as certification in CPR, First Aid and AED.
My Cumulative GPA is 2.971. I don't know how to calculate my pre-requisite GPA, Can anyone help? As for my GPA, there is a reason why its on the lower end and I will explain.

I was an honor student throughout my schooling. In high school I excelled, and received scholarships to all the universities and colleges I applied to. I chose to attend Adelphi University, but during that first year, my hardships began. I was misdiagnosed with lymphoma. I was immersed in PET scans and CT scans, and biopsies and oncology visits. I was emotionally, physically and mentally drained. My grades were affected. I transferred out of Adelphi into CUNY Queens College to be closer to home and to doctors. It was during this time that we found out that I was misdiagnosed. RELIEF! I felt like I was whole again. I immersed myself back into my studies and made it to the Dean's list at Queens college. But just as things were looking up, my father was diagnosed with Bladder cancer. Fear of losing my father, of losing our business and of never moving forward to get to my goal of becoming a DPT all set in. As the eldest son, I took over my fathers business while attending college full time. I have a special needs brother that my mom cares for so she could not handle the day to day of the business. It was overwhelming but it had to be done. My grades were affected, because I couldn't focus on the sciences while juggling a business and bottling up fear of losing my father. I considered taking a year off, but did not want to alter my future plans anymore than they already had been. Just as my father went into remission, we were hit by the Covid pandemic.

Science classes online proved to be challenging. Grades continued to be affected. Advisors and offices were closed and emails went unanswered. Life was uncertain. Everything seemed uncertain. And then my grandfather gets diagnosed with terminal small cell lung cancer. Doctor told him he had 6-12 months...a death sentence. That crushed me. My grandfather, a man I looked up to and loved, the kindest and wisest man I have ever known, who taught me that health and happiness is the ultimate in life, was dying. A series of unfortunate hardships, illness and death plunged my once promising future into the depths of the unknown. I couldn't feel happy after losing my grandfather. I couldn't feel emotionally and psychologically healthy after so much loss, heartache and pain, but I had to keep going. It was 5 years of agony, and through it I accomplished to graduate college but not with the grades I know I am capable of.

Furthermore, CUNY Queens College has a very rigorous science program (PhD level) and a tougher grading scale than private colleges, as I came to learn by speaking to an administrator of a DPT program in my area. What that means is that a B in Queens College is actually an A+ at a private college. Or a C in Queens College is actually a B+ in another university. If you look at my transcript from Adelphi, I had a B- in Anatomy II, but it transferred over to Queens College as a C.

I have 2 F's and two D's on my transcript, which led to my lower GPA. The F's was the same subject, with the same professors, as were the D's. I should have dropped them, but was misguided by an advisor at QC. Unfortunately, I kept the grades. I did retake the course (Biomechanics) that I had gotten an F in, but passed with C. I have yet to retake the Bio 1 class and Physics II that I received a grade of D in lecture (A in lab).

I am planning on applying to DPT program and need your honest advice and opinion. Do I have a chance of getting in? Should I apply with my grades as is? As I stated there are reasons and I have proof as to why my GPA suffered, and how I went from an honors student to what appears to be a mediocre student. It has nothing to do with my abilities, but with the circumstances I was plagued with at a crucial time in my college life. I have letters of recommendations and references as well as a document from the oncologists stating the illness misdiagnosis, and of course paperwork oon my fathers illness and my grandfathers illness and death.

I would greatly appreciate advice. Should I apply? Should I retake courses and then apply? If so, do I have time to do so if I register for the fall and apply now? How would the PTCAS application and colleges Im applying to know that I'm retaking courses? Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Is there a field I can utilize my degree in, or a graduate program that can garner me a good future with a great paying career?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, you've been through so much stuff and are dealing with things us mere mortals couldn't even imagine. I pray for the best for you and your family.

Due to not being focused or dedicated on my earlier academic career, I also failed two classes and received D's in two-three others and have an abundance of W's on my overall transcript.
I will say, if you're able to retake some of your classes and make sure that you get nothing lower than a B, you may stand to get into a program, but you need to make sure that you can actually get a B or better in those courses, because B's wont really help your GPA all that much, only an A will increase it, considerably.

I think if you got your GPA to a 3.3 or similar and or did a Post-Bac where you got a degree or something with 20-30 more credit hours where you only get Bs and higher, you would stand a good chance to get into schools like St. Augustine and other places that have a 'lower' accepted GPA. My overall GPA calculated by PTCAS was less than 3.0 but my last 60 hours was a 3.55 and that's what the 4 schools who accepted me looked at. Also, make sure you include your story and explain why your grades slipped, not everyone can deal with what you could.

Good luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Talking to an admissions counselor at schools on your wishlist may help clarify what you must do. I agree that some schools will factor upward GPA trends and consistency in rigorous biomedical courses relevant to the DPT curriculum. Get your hours of observing PT's in action in, your letters of recommendation, and your preparation for the challenging coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
Firstly, you've been through so much stuff and are dealing with things us mere mortals couldn't even imagine. I pray for the best for you and your family.

Due to not being focused or dedicated on my earlier academic career, I also failed two classes and received D's in two-three others and have an abundance of W's on my overall transcript.
I will say, if you're able to retake some of your classes and make sure that you get nothing lower than a B, you may stand to get into a program, but you need to make sure that you can actually get a B or better in those courses, because B's wont really help your GPA all that much, only an A will increase it, considerably.

I think if you got your GPA to a 3.3 or similar and or did a Post-Bac where you got a degree or something with 20-30 more credit hours where you only get Bs and higher, you would stand a good chance to get into schools like St. Augustine and other places that have a 'lower' accepted GPA. My overall GPA calculated by PTCAS was less than 3.0 but my last 60 hours was a 3.55 and that's what the 4 schools who accepted me looked at. Also, make sure you include your story and explain why your grades slipped, not everyone can deal with what you could.

Good luck to you.
thank you.

Talking to an admissions counselor at schools on your wishlist may help clarify what you must do. I agree that some schools will factor upward GPA trends and consistency in rigorous biomedical courses relevant to the DPT curriculum. Get your hours of observing PT's in action in, your letters of recommendation, and your preparation for the challenging coursework.
Thank you