Will applying this year help my chances for next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hillary

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need some advice! I just recently decided I want to be an OT, and see that most deadlines to apply for next year are coming up soon, and the school I really want to attend has a February deadline. I know that it is possible for me to apply by February, but my chances of getting accepted are very low (I assume) because of where I am in the application process...

For instance, the school requires 8 prereq courses and I only have one completed, and are taking 3 classes right now (Fall term). The school requires that 4 prereq classes be completed by the time of application, so I will get my grades by december in time for the feb dealine. My undergrad GPA is only a 3.1 but I am motivated to do a lot better in my prereq courses and believe that I can get mostly A's. I don't have any observation hours yet, and I will have to complete 50 of the required 100 hours by the time of my application. I also haven't taken the GRE so I will have to study and take that as well.

So my question is, do I try to squeeze my observation hours, GRE, and studying for classes in in the next few months so I can apply by the February deadline, even though I'm almost certain I won't get accepted? Will me applying this year give me a better chance of being accepted next year when I apply again?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be blunt about it...it sounds really difficult to accomplish but may be able to be done depending on you and your work habits/organizational skills. However, you will probably have no life this upcoming fall semester and you shouldn't work. You have a lot of outstanding items in your application, many of which are extremely time consuming. I don't know which courses you are taking, but if you are taking anatomy and want to receive an A, expect to do an enormous amount of studying. I would go to Barnes and Noble every day when I was taking A&PI, Physics, and Bio during the same semester (and I lived to talk about it after...lol). Besides that, you'll have to schedule time after your classes or on your day off to complete your prerequisite hours (also more time taken from your day). You also need to do preparation for the GRE, which can vary for each person and how they perform on the exam. On top of that, completing the actual application takes time and extreme amounts of organization, as you'll probably need to write a personal statement, collect letters of recommendation, and order your transcripts (and ensured they arrived at the school). Though it seems like an overwhelming amount of work, you need to always remember the reasons why you are doing it. You want to get into an OT program to become an OT :)

Thanks for the response! You're right, it is going to be tough, but I think I'm going to go for it. I am taking anatomy and am realizing that it's no walk in the park, but my other classes seem fine (one is an online class that hasn't started yet, i hope online classes are ok...?).

Do you think my app will even be considered with only 4 of the 8 prereqs completed? Hypothetically speaking, lets say that I know I won't be accepted this year. Do you think that me applying this year will be to my advantage when applying next year? Will I have a better chance of getting accepted because I applied the year before?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the response! You're right, it is going to be tough, but I think I'm going to go for it. I am taking anatomy and am realizing that it's no walk in the park, but my other classes seem fine (one is an online class that hasn't started yet, i hope online classes are ok...?).

Do you think my app will even be considered with only 4 of the 8 prereqs completed? Hypothetically speaking, lets say that I know I won't be accepted this year. Do you think that me applying this year will be to my advantage when applying next year? Will I have a better chance of getting accepted because I applied the year before?

No problem! I've gone through this whole experience and just started my first year this summer, so I know how it feels to go through the whole application process. It's stressful! If you're taking Anatomy, that will most likely take up (and should) go toward most of your study time if you want to get an A (which will look very good on your application). As for online classes, I would def check with the school's policy on accepting a class with that type of instruction. You don't want to take a class, pay for it, study for it, get accepted into OT school, then find out they won't accept it and you are one prerequiste short of being able to attend! For my prerequisites, I took an Abnormal Psychology course online, and though my program accepted online classes (certain ones), the transcript I sent them with the course and grade didn't specify that that section was completed online or through regular lecture. Thus the admissions commitee may never know you took an online class because it may not appear on your transcript. It really depends on the school though, so check it out first...seriously. As for prerequisites, only having 4/8 completed might put you at a disadvantage against others who have completed more or even all of their requirements. I'd say your chances are better if the 4 you have completed are from the major natural sciences (API, APII, Bio, Physics, Chemistry, etc.) I was actually in a similar situation to you the first year I applied and had only a few prerequisites completed. I actually was denied only on the basis that I didn't have enough completed and they had to start accepting their class for that year. However, a really really really important thing to realize is that I stayed in touch with the chair of the program and the secretary when I applied again. I made sure they knew my name when I sent them e-mails to ask questions, etc. during the application period. When I got to the interview, I got the opportunity to introduce myself in person and they knew my name from all of my interest. So if you do apply this year and get rejected DO NOT GET DISCOURAGED. Realize that you have extra time to get your prerequisites done, get the grades you want, do more volunteer hours, etc, to make your application really really strong for the next year. I recall you also saying you're only applying to one program. An extra year can give you the opportunity to apply to multiple programs, giving you more chances to get accepted somewhere. I strongly recommend that you get your name out there with influential people at the school and subtly convey your interest with questions, etc. It may benefit you in the end. Hope this helps! Anymore questions, let me know.

Good advice, thanks. It's always nice to know there are people out there who are/were going through the same stressful process. I would really like to be accepted for next fall because I would hate to wait 2 more years to start school again. But i know i want to be an OT so whatever happens, happens!