General Admissions & OTCAS Applying for next year! What to work on? :) Advice much appreciated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hercurlinessOT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm preparing for this year's applications for the 2018 :) I would LOVE some advice as to what would be best for me to work on in terms of stats/qualifications.

A.A. in Liberal Arts
B.A. Psychology (California Baptist University). Summa Cum Laude, 3.98 GPA
Prereq GPA: 4.0, currently (might get an A- in A&P 2, though). Still have to take stats and physics

Volunteer Experience:

Children's club leader 4+ years
Participated in music drama day camps for children for 3+ summers, as well as other church-centered children's activities
Sunday school teacher for several years
Volunteered with serving food at funerals/weddings at a community church
Served Thanksgiving meal to low-income citizens are local community cupboard
Volunteered once in Mexico serving food and care items (hygiene, clothes, etc) to in-need locals

Field-related experience:

30 hours observation at OT clinic
Physical therapy aide since February (which is hundreds of paid experience and will soon be thousands)

School-related experience:
Certified writing tutor at college writing center
Presented at honors conference on literature
Supplemental instructor for lower level English courses

Upcoming goals:

-I plan to shadow at a pediatric OT clinic, as well as a skilled nursing facility, as well as another OT clinic this summer. I want to get about 200 hours of experience total, but am thinking that I should maybe aim for higher?
-I plan to take the GRE soon - ahh!
-i'm going to volunteer at a camp for children with special needs/disabilities for a weekend this summer. Already signed up! :)
-I got into a local program called "Future Physician Leaders." It's a summer program that features a series of lectures and provides the opportunity to participate in a community health outreach

--------

Any input or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, overall your stats look really great! You have many experiences working with children and the local program event sounds interesting. I was accepted to my program with 200 hours, but if you feel like doing more hours it's up to you. I would also recommend that you study well for the GRE, I used Magoosh and it improved my scores. Also, make sure you have others look over your personal statement! I had friends look over my statement and my final draft was better. Good luck! I'm sure you will do well

Your stats look great so far. Really aim for that 4.0 prereq GPA. May I ask where you're planning to apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your stats look great so far. Really aim for that 4.0 prereq GPA. May I ask where you're planning to apply?

Sorry for this late reply! Pacific University, Loma Linda University, U of St. Augustine, West Coast U. I actually feel super nervous and uncertain...I really don't think I'll get in this year. Thanks so much. Are you applying this year, too?

Hi. Your stats are incredible! I would say apply to 10+ schools, and get you need about 150 more hours, Id say with your stats 200 hours or so is enough. I had around 400, and my stats were mediocre. Still got in! :)

Hi. Your stats are incredible! I would say apply to 10+ schools, and get you need about 150 more hours, Id say with your stats 200 hours or so is enough. I had around 400, and my stats were mediocre. Still got in! :)

Oh gosh thanks! I really don't feel like they are...I should have about 120-150 hours by December :) But I'll definitely shoot for more. I'm not confident about being admitted this cycle due to my low number of hours (I have about 70-80 total now, in outpatient, impatient, and peds). Hopefully I have a chance! Thank you for your feedback!