Will an SMP help me get an M.D. interview in Texas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zmy6262

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering if an SMP would help my chances of getting an MD interview (Texas)
I graduated with a 3.51 GPA and entered post-bacc to finish pre-med pre-reqs and got destroyed by ochem 1 with a C-.. that dropped my GPA to 3.47 and I am currently retaking it with a different professor along side ochem 2. I do believe I will be able to pull at least a B in both classes, but that will finish it for my pre reqs. My first 60 hours contained most of my other pre med pre-reqs and I did not have great study habits (regret). There is an upward trend in my GPA in my last 60 hours (3.60+ each semester)
My Stats kinda suck (embarrassing):
ENG : A
ENG 2: A
STATS: A
PHYSICS 1: B
PHYSICS 1 LAB: A
PHYSICS 2: A
PHYSICS 2 LAB: A
BIO 1: B
BIO 2: C
GENETICS: A
CHEM 1: C
CHEM 1 LAB: B
CHEM 2: B
CHEM 2 LAB: B
ORG 1: C- (retaking now)
ORG 1 LAB: A-
I am also in 2 research labs now, no publications yet. I worked as a scribe for a couple years, became a trainer and have experience in ER Med, Wound Care, Endo. I volunteer as a crisis counselor and have volunteered at the local salvation army in the past. I also have shadowed physical therapy.. As far as clubs go I have been in 3 different clubs 2 pertaining to medicine.
Sorry if this is everywhere, but was wondering your guys thoughts on my chances of an MD interview following a strong (hopefully 3.7+) year in an SMP with a decent MCAT 510-512.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
On some very limited experience with some Texans who went through my own SMP, answer is yes.

As a reinventor, you'll still need to have DO schools on your list
Okay awesome. If you dont mind me asking, with my stats do you think SMP is the correct route?

Don't only look at your GPA. If you have an upward trend, that will count. I would not do an SMP unless you have a poor post-bacc GPA or no upward trend before obtaining a bachelor's. Otherwise, I would save that money.

It makes no sense that SMPs ask for an MCAT score before attending their program. Students are in SMPs because they haven't done well.

I got all of this info from people on admission committees.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in a similar boat (GPA and trendwise) I also did an SMP (in TX) which got me a couple interviews and at least 2 acceptances. Feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 2 users