Why you should become a nurse or physicians assistant instead of a doctor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Read what you claim I said and then read my posts, they aren't the same. The only person making this an hours issue is you. If you are going to openly claim that you know nothing about medicine or how the medical field works, at least don't put words into people's mouths to start arguments.

Okay my bad. So you are saying that they don't have the right "attitude" because they want to "clock in-clock out and get paid". Im suggesting that your claim about 1/4 of your class being happier as PAs, even though they haven't said that explicitly, is debatable. I just wanted you to elaborate on why you think that 1/4 of your class would be happier as PAs. The point I wanted to make is that physicians/residents have told me that they think of their work as clock in-clock out. So, if clock in-clock out exists within medicine, why shouldn't people go the MD route vs PA?

EDIT: Also j/c if you think 1/4 of your class would have been happier as PAs then why would it have not interested you at all? I assume its because you aren't in primary care?

Members don't see this ad.

Is this really that hard of a concept? I don't understand why you are getting so confused.

Okay my bad. So you are saying that they don't have the right "attitude" because they want to "clock in-clock out and get paid". Im suggesting that your claim about 1/4 of your class being happier as PAs, even though they haven't said that explicitly, is debatable. I just wanted you to elaborate on why you think that 1/4 of your class would be happier as PAs. The point I wanted to make is that physicians/residents have told me that they think of their work as clock in-clock out. So, if clock in-clock out exists within medicine, why shouldn't people go the MD route vs PA?

EDIT: Also j/c if you think 1/4 of your class would have been happier as PAs then why would it have not interested you at all? I assume its because you aren't in primary care?

First, few things.

#1 There are few attending physician positions that are true "clock in, clock out". Yes, the ER is a good example of where this is true, but the vast majority of physicians still either have explicit patient duties (call) or are invested in their patient's care to the point that they still do things even when they don't have have to.
#2 It is a bad sign if residents see their work as "clock in, clock out". You only get 3-7 years to learn how to do everything that you need to in order to practice medicine. Yes, you can learn the bare minimum for your specialty in that time, even if you aren't very good. Yes, you can get your numbers, even at the worst program. But, that doesn't mean that you are going to be a good physician. In my experience, it makes for piss poor physicians. The people that excel and the ones that take good care of patients are the ones that are hungry to learn. You seem to need it spelled out so I will. I AM NOT ADVOCATING SPENDING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE WORKING FOR YOUR PATIENTS AND OTHERS. But, your job in residency is to learn how to be a practicing physician, you have an extremely limited amount of time to learn what you need.
#3 I am a starting PGY3 in Vascular Surgery. The IM residents that were in my orientation group are now the chief residents in their program. It is scary. Their program is the epitome of "clock in, clock out" medicine. Half the time you call, you get, "Oh we haven't rounded with the attending yet, I have no idea what we are doing." The other half of the time you get, "Oh, I'm the cross covering resident, I have no idea what you are talking about." I have on several occasions had to transfer a patient to the CVICU in the middle of the night because of something that should have alerted people 12 hours earlier.

Second...
It sounds stupid, but lets go back to pre-med personal statements. "Why medicine?" Or more specifically, "Why go to medical school?"

I think we can agree on a few basics...
#1 Medical school is extremely expensive. The financing and time costs are enormous relative to every other training path. There is no reason to go to medical school if you can be equally happy doing something else. The opportunity cost is just too damn high.
#2 NPs and PAs make good money with the opportunity to make a lot more with an enormous lifestyle benefit relative to residents and many (but not all) attendings.

Now, you may disagree, but if you don't actually know anything about how hospitals function or how medicine is practiced, your opinion's value is very limited. What are people looking for when they go to medical school? Job security? Money? Help people? Genuine interest in healthcare? Interested in the application of science on people's lives? All legit reasons to be interested in medical school. None good enough alone. You can get all of that in spades as a PA, NP or any number of Allied health professions (depending on what exactly your motivations are). You know what you can't get? MAXIMAL (not full) autonomy. Ultimate responsibility. How many people NEED that as a part of their profession? Certainly not everyone and probably not even a majority of medical students.

-------End general stuff that should really make sense to you....--------- Start personal reasons for not becoming a PA ----------

Why doesn't it interest me at all to be a PA? Because, I have the pathological need to be the master and commander (to the highest extent possible in a highly hierarchical and bureaucratic hospital) of my job. Because, when my patient isn't doing well at 5:30am and I've been in the hospital since 5am the previous day, I'm harassing the OR to give me a room to take them back and **** if someone else is going to stop me from being there. (clearly if I haven't slept at all, I'm going to ask someone else to step in and help, but I'm not going to leave.) Who are PAs?

#1 A PA is the first line responder in the CVICU managing complex drips and vents. Under the general supervision of an intensivist, but they are the person on the ground giving my patient the best fighting chance at surviving their pathology and what we as surgeons inflict on them. After the patient leaves the ICU to the OR or ultimately to the floor, their responsibility ends.
#2 A PA is the extra pair of hands doing complex open heart cases when an appropriate level resident/fellow is not available. After the patient leaves the OR, that PA's responsibility ends.
#3 A PA is the one that fills in the gaps that often happen after a surgeon talks to a family. Ensuring a smooth transition from active pathology to healing from surgery to recovery. They make sure that the patient's and the patient's family's needs are met and that they come back to clinic. After the patient leaves the hospital, their responsibility ends.

These are what OUR PAs do. They are not what ALL PAs do. I'm sure that this is colored by my personal experience. I can tell you this, if I had to pick one individual to run ICU care for my loved one, it would be one particular PA. They work extremely hard. They are well compensated. They have a very good lifestyle. They have the capacity to develop a very good and useful skill set that makes them in extremely high demand. They get from their jobs what a good number of medical students are looking for in their professional lives. There is NOTHING wrong with that. Why do I think a lot of my classmates would be happier as PAs? Because we bust ass and sacrifice a lot to be an MD. It is not benign and a lot of physicians aren't happy. There is a reason there is such a thing as "lifestyle specialties" and there is a reason why they are generally competitive.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Okay, would it make it simpler if we just say that everyone wants to be a doctor? PAs, nurses, admins, janitors, kitchen staff...

I don't get what is so hard to believe about this.:shrug: Not everyone is suited to being a physician.

Today, I had the great pleasure of accompanying my 8 yo cousin to the ER following a scary episode where she passed out. After tests, it was determined that it was likely a vasovagal response. My aunt and uncle had asked me to be in the room with them. After relaying the information, I asked the PA to explain the diagnosis as I was fairly certain my farmer family were not familiar with a "vasovagal" response. The girl locked up tighter than can be and then ASKED ME TO EXPLAIN IT TO THEM!

After I finished, I asked her if she though her 2 years or school had paid off. She was so embarrassed she couldn't look at me.

Today, I had the great pleasure of accompanying my 8 yo cousin to the ER following a scary episode where she passed out. After tests, it was determined that it was likely a vasovagal response. My aunt and uncle had asked me to be in the room with them. After relaying the information, I asked the PA to explain the diagnosis as I was fairly certain my farmer family were not familiar with a "vasovagal" response. The girl locked up tighter than can be and then ASKED ME TO EXPLAIN IT TO THEM!

After I finished, I asked her if she though her 2 years or school had paid off. She was so embarrassed she couldn't look at me.

Dude, that was kind of rude. I hope no one pulls that on you when you're an intern.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude, that was kind of rude. I hope no one pulls that on you when you're an intern.

A good doctor would explain it to them without someone asking. The best physicians (and PAs) are the ones who explain what **** actually means to a patient so that when they show up in a different ED the next time the girl passes out, the family can explain to the that this has happened before and they were told it was a vasovagal response (or at least relay what was explained to them, which the doc should easily be able to decipher) instead of going "errrr they just said she passed out and it was no big deal".

You should never shy away or brush off educating your patients...so I hope somebody DOES pull that on you when you're an intern.

A good doctor would explain it to them without someone asking. The best physicians (and PAs) are the ones who explain what **** actually means to a patient so that when they show up in a different ED the next time the girl passes out, the family can explain to the that this has happened before and they were told it was a vasovagal response (or at least relay what was explained to them, which the doc should easily be able to decipher) instead of going "errrr they just said she passed out and it was no big deal".

You should never shy away or brush off educating your patients...so I hope somebody DOES pull that on you when you're an intern.

I'm not dismissing that the PA shouldn't have frozen up. It just came off as an unnecessarily smug response, imo.

Reactions: 1 user

After explaining what was going on Marine to MD could have kept quiet and not come off as arrogant. Explaining to pts what's going on is OK, diminishing or mocking other people is, well, not professional.

You want me to list all the "dumb" moments that I've called others out on because they had a near miss? Or to make it simpler, I can list all of the 'dumb' moments that I'VE been called out on by my seniors and attendings. Did that PA go read/learn about vasovagal syncope after so this wouldn't happen again? Is this something that you would hope that they would know? Of course. Is it surprising that they didn't know? Not entirely. All I know from your story is that you acted like an ass.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not dismissing that the PA shouldn't have frozen up. It just came off as an unnecessarily smug response, imo.

After explaining what was going on Marine to MD could have kept quiet and not come off as arrogant. Explaining to pts what's going on is OK, diminishing or mocking other people is, well, not professional.

I might have misread that at first (and I agree the last part was totally unnecessary) but I had the impression that the PA was asked to explain while they were NOT in front of the family. I agree, if you feel like explaining to your family what a vasovagal is, go right ahead, but don't call people out in front of everyone. However, if they he/she were pulled aside and asked to explain the diagnosis to the family further, I believe that is perfectly acceptable.

I might have misread that at first (and I agree the last part was totally unnecessary) but I had the impression that the PA was asked to explain while they were NOT in front of the family. I agree, if you feel like explaining to your family what a vasovagal is, go right ahead, but don't call people out in front of everyone. However, if they he/she were pulled aside and asked to explain the diagnosis to the family further, I believe that is perfectly acceptable.

I agree with this

Members don't see this ad :)
First, few things.

#1 There are few attending physician positions that are true "clock in, clock out". Yes, the ER is a good example of where this is true, but the vast majority of physicians still either have explicit patient duties (call) or are invested in their patient's care to the point that they still do things even when they don't have have to.
#2 It is a bad sign if residents see their work as "clock in, clock out". You only get 3-7 years to learn how to do everything that you need to in order to practice medicine. Yes, you can learn the bare minimum for your specialty in that time, even if you aren't very good. Yes, you can get your numbers, even at the worst program. But, that doesn't mean that you are going to be a good physician. In my experience, it makes for piss poor physicians. The people that excel and the ones that take good care of patients are the ones that are hungry to learn. You seem to need it spelled out so I will. I AM NOT ADVOCATING SPENDING YOUR ENTIRE LIFE WORKING FOR YOUR PATIENTS AND OTHERS. But, your job in residency is to learn how to be a practicing physician, you have an extremely limited amount of time to learn what you need.
#3 I am a starting PGY3 in Vascular Surgery. The IM residents that were in my orientation group are now the chief residents in their program. It is scary. Their program is the epitome of "clock in, clock out" medicine. Half the time you call, you get, "Oh we haven't rounded with the attending yet, I have no idea what we are doing." The other half of the time you get, "Oh, I'm the cross covering resident, I have no idea what you are talking about." I have on several occasions had to transfer a patient to the CVICU in the middle of the night because of something that should have alerted people 12 hours earlier.

Second...
It sounds stupid, but lets go back to pre-med personal statements. "Why medicine?" Or more specifically, "Why go to medical school?"

I think we can agree on a few basics...
#1 Medical school is extremely expensive. The financing and time costs are enormous relative to every other training path. There is no reason to go to medical school if you can be equally happy doing something else. The opportunity cost is just too damn high.
#2 NPs and PAs make good money with the opportunity to make a lot more with an enormous lifestyle benefit relative to residents and many (but not all) attendings.

Now, you may disagree, but if you don't actually know anything about how hospitals function or how medicine is practiced, your opinion's value is very limited. What are people looking for when they go to medical school? Job security? Money? Help people? Genuine interest in healthcare? Interested in the application of science on people's lives? All legit reasons to be interested in medical school. None good enough alone. You can get all of that in spades as a PA, NP or any number of Allied health professions (depending on what exactly your motivations are). You know what you can't get? MAXIMAL (not full) autonomy. Ultimate responsibility. How many people NEED that as a part of their profession? Certainly not everyone and probably not even a majority of medical students.

-------End general stuff that should really make sense to you....--------- Start personal reasons for not becoming a PA ----------

Why doesn't it interest me at all to be a PA? Because, I have the pathological need to be the master and commander (to the highest extent possible in a highly hierarchical and bureaucratic hospital) of my job. Because, when my patient isn't doing well at 5:30am and I've been in the hospital since 5am the previous day, I'm harassing the OR to give me a room to take them back and **** if someone else is going to stop me from being there. (clearly if I haven't slept at all, I'm going to ask someone else to step in and help, but I'm not going to leave.) Who are PAs?

#1 A PA is the first line responder in the CVICU managing complex drips and vents. Under the general supervision of an intensivist, but they are the person on the ground giving my patient the best fighting chance at surviving their pathology and what we as surgeons inflict on them. After the patient leaves the ICU to the OR or ultimately to the floor, their responsibility ends.
#2 A PA is the extra pair of hands doing complex open heart cases when an appropriate level resident/fellow is not available. After the patient leaves the OR, that PA's responsibility ends.
#3 A PA is the one that fills in the gaps that often happen after a surgeon talks to a family. Ensuring a smooth transition from active pathology to healing from surgery to recovery. They make sure that the patient's and the patient's family's needs are met and that they come back to clinic. After the patient leaves the hospital, their responsibility ends.

These are what OUR PAs do. They are not what ALL PAs do. I'm sure that this is colored by my personal experience. I can tell you this, if I had to pick one individual to run ICU care for my loved one, it would be one particular PA. They work extremely hard. They are well compensated. They have a very good lifestyle. They have the capacity to develop a very good and useful skill set that makes them in extremely high demand. They get from their jobs what a good number of medical students are looking for in their professional lives. There is NOTHING wrong with that. Why do I think a lot of my classmates would be happier as PAs? Because we bust ass and sacrifice a lot to be an MD. It is not benign and a lot of physicians aren't happy. There is a reason there is such a thing as "lifestyle specialties" and there is a reason why they are generally competitive.

Thanks for the input. Your points 1,2,3 were useful and there is no way I would have known that stuff otherwise since I've never shadowed a PA. PAs can do the work of a fellow in the OR? Never knew that...

Lol I just asked a few questions idk why everyone is so, "omg you trynna gain insight?!"

This thread has been weird... How does someone know half of the people in his/her class would have been happy being a PA/NP/RN? Well it's SDN so we know how that goes... There might be some people in my class who would happy as Lawyer/engineer/teacher/painter/(whatever)... you see where I am going with this... While we are at it, some lawyers would have been happy as paralegals:rolleyes:....There is a poster in SDN @primadonna22274 who made the switch from PA to DO. Maybe s/he can fill in some people (who have yet to decide) on why s/he made the switch as I think it's better to get the perspective of someone who has been on both side of the fence than having some people in SDN who probably have 'buyer remorse'...
My point is people could have been happy doing various thing, but they ultimately decide on one thing because that is what they can and want to see themselves doing...

On a side note... I myself could have been happy as a PA because I don't think a profession will inherently play a HUGE role in my happiness. I might be wrong on that however...

Edit... I read the link 'why you should become a nurse or a PA instead of a physician' and I think it is a sensational piece of .......

And now, for something *COMPLETELY* different:

.......dear thread, this is what should happen to you.
....but I will sit on and drinketh my wine......while you continueth to embarasseth yourself......

but hey......

Last edited:
This thread has been weird... How does someone know half of the people in his/her class would have been happy being a PA/NP/RN? Well it's SDN so we know how that goes... There might be some people in my class who would happy as Lawyer/engineer/teacher/painter/(whatever)... you see where I am going with this... While we are at it, some lawyers would have been happy as paralegals:rolleyes:....There is a poster in SDN @primadonna22274 who made the switch from PA to DO. Maybe s/he can fill in some people (who have yet to decide) on why s/he made the switch as I think it's better to get the perspective of someone who has been on both side of the fence than having some people in SDN who probably have 'buyer remorse'...
My point is people could have been happy doing various thing, but they ultimately decide on one thing because that is what they can and want to see themselves doing...

On a side note... I myself could have been happy as a PA because I don't think a profession will inherently play a HUGE role in my happiness. I might be wrong on that however...

Edit... I read the link 'why you should become a nurse or a PA instead of a physician' and I think it is a sensational piece of .......

:bang:

I used to think the PA I went to as a kid was a family physician. ..

Because I didn't want to be a NP. That doesn't mean it's not a stupid choice to go to med school. I'm human and just because I decided to do something doesn't mean it's the right choice. The fact of the matter is, that going to medical school is day by day becoming a less beneficial choice. The opposite is true for becoming an NP. You talked about nurses having a lot of undergrad debt and then phrased 100k of undergrad loans for a 50k salary as if it were difficult to pay off. It's really not. The reason residents fail to pay towards the principal of their loans during residency is a) because the principal is much higher than 100k b) their loans accrue interest immediately, vs the ones an RN would take out, which do not. Not to mention I've never really heard of an RN becoming 100k in debt.. If you're going after a job that pays 50k a year, it's probably not wise to go to a private school, or out of state, when nearly all schools have nursing programs. The same can't be said about medical programs, nor is admission as easy, vs nursing where it's a shoe-in.

Never heard of an RN going into 100K debt? There are all sorts of stories about it on allnurses. People get waitlisted by cheaper schools, so they go to extremely expensive for-profit diploma mill programs. I think it's insane, but yes, they're out there.

Never heard of an RN going into 100K debt? There are all sorts of stories about it on allnurses. People get waitlisted by cheaper schools, so they go to extremely expensive for-profit diploma mill programs. I think it's insane, but yes, they're out there.
I can't believe they'd go to those diploma mills and believe they're getting a good education.

I can't believe they'd go to those diploma mills and believe they're getting a good education.

I don't think it's as much a "good education" they are looking for/caring about as it is them being sucked into the ads saying "the medical field is wonderful," are you "unhappy at work? we can help you!" "nurses are in high demand and you can make $xyz/ hour!" and so on, and then them getting a loan, realizing they have money, and don't think about the consequences or research the job outlook.

I had a friend who had applied to US MD schools and hadn't heard back by Christmas when she received a nice pamphlet from a Caribbean school telling her she could "start right away" without having a minimum MCAT or anything. She's there now... poor girl...

orlando has a ton of the expensive diploma mills....and a 2 yrs waiting list at one of our community colleges for <$100 credit

Well, sometimes they'll post as prospective students (aka "wannabes") and ask if it's a good idea. Heaven forfend you tell them it's not. Then you're just trying to keep them from their DREEEAAAMMM job, and you're probably just an old crone who's jealous because they're younger, prettier, and thinner than them. You probably stomp on puppies and take candy from babies, too.

The future of health care is truly frightening.

Well, sometimes they'll post as prospective students (aka "wannabes") and ask if it's a good idea. Heaven forfend you tell them it's not. Then you're just trying to keep them from their DREEEAAAMMM job, and you're probably just an old crone who's jealous because they're younger, prettier, and thinner than them. You probably stomp on puppies and take candy from babies, too.

This sounds familiar...

Sounds a lot like Pre-Allo, esp. the ones that go to the Carribbean.

Well, you can't cure stupid, but you sure can have some fun with it.
And Pre-Allo has a lot of it. Everytime I go there, I feel like I have to bring a can of Raid to clear out all the misconceptions that premeds latch onto.

And Pre-Allo has a lot of it. Everytime I go there, I feel like I have to bring a can of Raid to clear out all the misconceptions that premeds latch onto.

Let's trade...I'll go over to Pre-Allo if you go over to allnurses and tweak their noses in the "Pre-Nursing" forum. j/k ;)

Reactions: 1 users
The part that sucks is that you spend all this extra time training, go into huge debt, and then find out that you only get paid 15% more for your services than the NP who got a degree online.

The part that sucks is that you spend all this extra time training, go into huge debt, and then find out that you only get paid 15% more for your services than the NP who got a degree online.
Except they're lobbying to be paid on par with physicians. The "Equal pay, for equal work" mantra. I can't believe the nursing profession, in their attempt to professionalize the NP degree, are willing to sell their souls for people to be able to do ONLINE DNP programs. Talk about destroying your brand further.

That being said, the NPs that I know personally, don't want to be independent. They want to work with a physician and not have their own independent practices. They are perfectly happy with their Masters-level NP degree. This is more the NP establishment academics who want more tuition money.

That being said, the NPs that I know personally, don't want to be independent. They want to work with a physician and not have their own independent practices. They are perfectly happy with their Masters-level NP degree. This is more the NP establishment academics who want more tuition money.

That may be some of the NPs, but not most or all. Independent practice is drawing the attention of a lot of new people who are going into the NP profession for the sole purpose of practicing independently. There are already tons of NPs out there practicing independently. I have a friend in Oregon who is an online DNP practicing independently. I'm honestly scared for the patients that he manages, because in my experience he really doesn't know anything about medicine.

That may be some of the NPs, but not most or all. Independent practice is drawing the attention of a lot of new people who are going into the NP profession for the sole purpose of practicing independently. There are already tons of NPs out there practicing independently. I have a friend in Oregon who is an online DNP practicing independently. I'm honestly scared for the patients that he manages, because in my experience he really doesn't know anything about medicine.
Oregon is a whole mess in itself. They also pay NPs on par with doctors. Completely physician unfriendly up there in a lot of ways.

The new batch coming in, yes. Educational propanganda always works.

Where else can people make that kind of money with a two year degree or certificate?

Oregon is a whole mess in itself. They also pay NPs on par with doctors. Completely physician unfriendly up there in a lot of ways.
It's not that they pay nurse practitioners so much it's just they don't pay physicians crap.

It's not that they pay nurse practitioners so much it's just they don't pay physicians crap.
It's quite the progressive utopia up there.

Where else can people make that kind of money with a two year degree or certificate?

Every NP I've talked to goes on and on about they have decades of experience as an RN as if that compensates for any of medical school or residency. Or if they don't have that, they talk about how their 4-year BSN is like our 4 -year med school.

It's quite the progressive utopia up there.

Yes, honestly doctors should not be paid. This should be a charity profession. How dare we expect to be compensated? Isn't saving lives enough????

Every NP I've talked to goes on and on about they have decades of experience as an RN as if that compensates for any of medical school or residency. Or if they don't have that, they talk about how their 4-year BSN is like our 4 -year med school.
They also say what they do is "nursing".

Yes, honestly doctors should not be paid. This should be a charity profession. How dare we expect to be compensated? Isn't saving lives enough????
Yup, read the NY Times commenters that cite the Hippocratic Oath. Apparently, it was a vow of poverty as well.

Reading posts here proves that people will guzzle all manner of kool-aid.

That would be like like going up to a pilot in the Air Force and saying that the pilot lessons you took were equivalent to their military pilot training.

That would be like like going up to a pilot in the Air Force and saying that the pilot lessons you took were equivalent to their military pilot training.

Yeah, we know this well. Unfortunately the general public doesn't know it. It sounds great to them.

I had a recently DNP-graduated NP as a "preceptor" once and she took the entire week to convince me that she was just as good as any doctor, while "teaching" me many things that were just plain wrong. When I brought up a source showing that what she told me was incorrect, she just brushed me off.

Yeah, we know this well. Unfortunately the general public doesn't know it. It sounds great to them.

I had a recently DNP-graduated NP as a "preceptor" once and she took the entire week to convince me that she was just as good as any doctor, while "teaching" me many things that were just plain wrong. When I brought up a source showing that what she told me was incorrect, she just brushed me off.
Sounds like a typical NP.

Thank you, fledgling MS-2. Hope you feel the same way after MS-2, Step 1, and MS-3.

I love medicine and love my job. Being a cardiology fellow is the best thing I have ever done. I was CCU fellow the other day....coded a guy and lined him all up including a TVP at 3am. Was I tired? Yes, but I had so much fun doing it. I can't wait and hope to god I get an interventional spot.

Now that my rant is done.....I see your point and the authors point. It is overrated when it comes to loans and so forth. Furthermore, primary care is boring as hell to me and I would go nuts. Its all perspective.