Why does Barry get so much flack?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I interviewed at Barry not too long ago and had a good experience overall. I'm curious why the program itself gets bashed by nearly everyone on these forums (and even from students I met from other pod schools). I noticed a number of positive things:

-It's the only pod program to have a full undergrad liberal arts campus on its grounds - *I'm not counting temple as the campuses are completely separated. You have access to everything the undergrads do, big gym, outdoor pool, intramural sports + clubs, all the cafes, etc.

-Great weather overall. Shorts year round (for a northerner like myself). Summers pretty warm and humid but the beach is so close.

-Miami Shores, not an amazing place but right near the city of miami, south beach, miami beach, etc :thumbup:

-4 clinics plus a large amount of hospital rotations in and around miami

-Clinical Faculty from a few different pod schools, unlike some programs where the faculty are all grads from the same place (inbred). Furthermore, you have Southerland with the Crippled Children's Project, Losito as the Miami Heat and U of Miami team podiatrist, Bakotic the podiatric dermatologist

-Relatively small class size (65-70)

-Large majority of basic science faculty are full time Barry professors...ie offices in Wiegand Hall along with office hours there as well. Compare this to some schools where there's a majority of adjuncts and only teach part-time.

-Supposedly, first time pass rate on the part 1 boards is 85-86%. Whatever the exact number, I was this by a current 3rd year who also said it was above the national average. Maybe Feli can fill in some info.

-New building for 3rd/4th year classes

-Rising classes will have 6 months of externships, along with 1 month of vacation

Let me know what you guys think about this. It seems like Barry offers a lot and I'm not sure about the big negative perception (it may be just an SDN thing)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think its mostly SDN.

BUT:
I think the biggest downfall of Barry is that they take in way too many incompetent students, students that they know wont even make it pass the first semester. Then, these failed students will be thrown into the 5th year program. Some of these students will make it through, but most of them will fail.

In class of 2012, we have lost around 6 students after the fall semester. We are going to lose more after this semester.

I think its mostly SDN.

BUT:
I think the biggest downfall of Barry is that they take in way too many incompetent students, students that they know wont even make it pass the first semester. Then, these failed students will be thrown into the 5th year program. Some of these students will make it through, but most of them will fail.

In class of 2012, we have lost around 6 students after the fall semester. We are going to lose more after this semester.

Right, that's what a number of current 3rd year students I spoke to seemed to like the least about Barry (admission standards). I'm not too keen with the 1 on 1 interview with the dean, a lawyer. Seems too lax overall and as you said, they let in a lot of people who shouldn't be there in the first place.

How is the education itself so far? Is it annoying to have 7 people to 1 cadaver in gross lab? From what I was told at other schools- its normally only 4-5.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, that's what a number of current 3rd year students I spoke to seemed to like the least about Barry (admission standards). I'm not too keen with the 1 on 1 interview with the dean, a lawyer. Seems too lax overall and as you said, they let in a lot of people who shouldn't be there in the first place.

How is the education itself so far? Is it annoying to have 7 people to 1 cadaver in gross lab? From what I was told at other schools- its normally only 4-5.

Fall semester wasnt hard. This semester (spring) is supposed to be pretty rough. So far, we have only taken the 1st set of tests...so I cant really judge on the overall level. But the 1st set of tests werent bad at all.

Well, we dont have 7 people per cadaver. It's mostly 5-6. Maybe it was 7 people per cadaver for the class of 2011, but not for class of 2012.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fall semester wasnt hard. This semester (spring) is supposed to be pretty rough. So far, we have only taken the 1st set of tests...so I cant really the overall level. But the 1st set of tests werent bad at all. judge on

Well, we dont have 7 people per cadaver. It's mostly 5-6. Maybe it was 7 people per cadaver for the class of 2011, but not for class of 2012.

You started out your first year with 60 kids? (is this not including those on the 5 year track). I wasn't sure of the average class size at Barry but heard something between 60-75.

What do you think of the quality of the profs + classes so far? Anything that's a real killer (biochem, anatomy, etc). Extra help available?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

You started out your first year with 60 kids? (is this not including those on the 5 year track). I wasn't sure of the average class size at Barry but heard something between 60-75.

What do you think of the quality of the profs + classes so far? Anything that's a real killer (biochem, anatomy, etc). Extra help available?

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Yeah, Im pretty sure we started out with about 60 kids NOT including the 5th years.

So far, none of the classes are real killers except for maybe physio for some people. The physio professor is a really good lecturer, but his tests are pretty hard. I think he failed about 15 people from class of 2011.

About biochem....... not a lot of students like the professor. When it comes down to exam time, he'll tests you on the dumbest things (Like who co-discovered G protein with Rodbell etc.) His test questions can be pretty confusing, and he wont let you ask any questions during the exam time. :thumbdown:

Anatomy is a pretty straight forward and simple class. If you study what he goes over in class, then you'll do fine.

Histology is pretty straight forward also. The histo professor is extremely nice. He is by far my favorite professor.

Neuroanatomy is not so bad. We just had our first test last week. The professor teaches DO students at Nova as well. His lectures can be pretty confusing at times because he jumps around and corrects himself a lot.

There are extra help. Professors will recommend tutors for students who are struggling. Even if you're not struggling, you can still get tutors.

Professors are very accessible, since our classroom is located right below their offices. I never had a problem with not being able to meet them in person.

Yeah, Im pretty sure we started out with about 60 kids NOT including the 5th years.

So far, none of the classes are real killers except for maybe physio for some people. The physio professor is a really good lecturer, but his tests are pretty hard. I think he failed about 15 people from class of 2011.

About biochem....... not a lot of students like the professor. When it comes down to exam time, he'll tests you on the dumbest things (Like who co-discovered G protein with Rodbell etc.) His test questions can be pretty confusing, and he wont let you ask any questions during the exam time. :thumbdown:

Anatomy is a pretty straight forward and simple class. If you study what he goes over in class, then you'll do fine.

Histology is pretty straight forward also. The histo professor is extremely nice. He is by far my favorite professor.

Neuroanatomy is not so bad. We just had our first test last week. The professor teaches DO students at Nova as well. His lectures can be pretty confusing at times because he jumps around and corrects himself a lot.

There are extra help. Professors will recommend tutors for students who are struggling. Even if you're not struggling, you can still get tutors.

Professors are very accessible, since our classroom is located right below their offices. I never had a problem with not being able to meet them in person.

Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good overall. Anything else you see as negatives/positives about Barry U??? I'm still trying to see why Barry gets dumped on so much (at least on SDN), the program seems to offer a lot to a pod med student. Jealous of the weather maybe???

Also, is it true 1st years wear scrubs for classes? I never heard of this at other pod schools besides Barry. A 3rd year told me it was due to having a lab each day of the week (anatomy/histo).

First years do wear scrubs on tues-fri, that is because we have anatomy labs on tues/thurs or wed/fri. For those people who have anatomy lab on tues/thurs will have histo lab on wed/fri and so on. You dont wear scrubs for histo lab, only for anatomy lab.

Thanks for the info, sounds pretty good overall. Anything else you see as negatives/positives about Barry U??? I'm still trying to see why Barry gets dumped on so much (at least on SDN), the program seems to offer a lot to a pod med student. Jealous of the weather maybe???

Also, is it true 1st years wear scrubs for classes? I never heard of this at other pod schools besides Barry. A 3rd year told me it was due to having a lab each day of the week (anatomy/histo).

JEW - I feel like a lot of the dumping comes from pre-pods. A lot of what we know about each others schools comes from our interview day and the venting that we do on SDN.

I used to have certain feelings about schools before this year, but now that I'm here and have got to know some other students from other schools, I realize that we're all in the same boat.

We've got a lot of issues to work on over the next few years. I think that students can play a huge role in molding what our profession will become. I feel like a lot of students in my class have already helped by becoming active. The point of this overly long post is; when you're here, you sort of feel like you're in a brotherhood. It doesn't really matter what school you are from. We all go through the same crap. The fourth years here speak highly of all of the other schools and the people they rotate with. I can't wait until I'm there and can see everyone else from all the schools.

Anyway...enough with the mushy soapbox...back to sarcasm...

Does anyone know why the dean resigned?

After seeing the match lists, I think Barry is probably one of the better pod schools. DMU and AZPOD are probably tops. Scholl is no longer one of the top schools. SCPM puts a lot of people into VAMC programs....The school is getting by on its reputation when it was on Oak and Dearborn in Chicago. The teachers are all old, tired, and need to retire. The new clinic in the suburbs is very low volume. In short, SCPM aint what it used to be, so think carefully before choosing a podiatry school. I would look at AZPOD, DMU, Barry if I were to do this again.

Is this true? anyone else hear of this?

Not sure of the reasons why but it was last year when the person quit (Dr. Evans). I believe Dr. Nelson, the associate dean of clinics is temporarily covering the position until they find someone else.

After seeing the match lists, I think Barry is probably one of the better pod schools. DMU and AZPOD are probably tops. Scholl is no longer one of the top schools. SCPM puts a lot of people into VAMC programs....The school is getting by on its reputation when it was on Oak and Dearborn in Chicago. The teachers are all old, tired, and need to retire. The new clinic in the suburbs is very low volume. In short, SCPM aint what it used to be, so think carefully before choosing a podiatry school. I would look at AZPOD, DMU, Barry if I were to do this again.

I thought you were a pre-pod...maybe I'm mistaken

I am a current podiatry student.

Not sure of the reasons why but it was last year when the person quit (Dr. Evans). I believe Dr. Nelson, the associate dean of clinics is temporarily covering the position until they find someone else.
Yes, it is true and Dr. Nelson is temporarily taking over until the new one is called. Dr. Evans was at Barry for many years and has accomplished what he set out for and was time for him to move on. The program will go on and nothing has really changed here. Barry has made some good changes in the past year in regards to the material and way professors are teaching, more clinically oriented. If I hear more, I will update.

About Barry's bad reputation on SDN. I was not intially going to interview at Barry because of the comments on SDN. I booked flights to 2 other schools and figured I might as well add on the Barry interview. I am so glad I interviewed here. I ended up picking Barry and do not regret it one bit. Like the earlier post said, we are all going to be Podiatrists in the end. It depends how much YOU apply YOURSELF and the time YOU put into studying that determines what kind of doctor you will become. I happen to do well when my wife and kids can get out of the house year round and are not couped up inside for 9 months out of the year. The weather around here is amazing and keeps me sane.

Yes, it is true and Dr. Nelson is temporarily taking over until the new one is called. Dr. Evans was at Barry for many years and has accomplished what he set out for and was time for him to move on. The program will go on and nothing has really changed here. Barry has made some good changes in the past year in regards to the material and way professors are teaching, more clinically oriented. If I hear more, I will update.
Yep... sorry I didn't answer this sooner, but the above post summed it up perfectly.

As was mentioned near the top, the Barry program is one of the only ones in a full university, and Dr. Evans did a nice job of navigating the politics and acquiring plenty of university resources for Barry's pod program (new clinics and lecture facilities, promotion and marketing, funding and scholarships, good faculty, etc). The dean is a person you don't really deal with a whole lot as a student since the his function is largely administrative, but almost everything they do obviously does affect you.

Dr. Nelson has taken over as the interim dean and is unsure if he's going to apply for the permanent position. I know it's sorta selfish, but I almost hope he doesn't apply for dean since he did a great job at his longstanding function of clinical dean, clinical instructor, and professor for pharmacology and clinical skills lab. Over the years, he kept setting up more high quality clinic and hospital rotations for the students, and he's also a very good lecturer/teacher IMO. It'd be unfortunate to lose him as an instructor, but if he does end up as dean, he has definitely earned it in terms of what he has contributed to building what is still one of the younger pod programs. :thumbup: