Barry vs Kent

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

idknooneknowsme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im from Barry and have friends from Kent. I think they are both great schools. But honestly, only you know which environment would be best for your success. You should also consider whichever school is cheaper (Scholarships etc.). All schools will provide you with the tools to succeed. Thats the truth and you should also remember that every graduating class is different. Each school historically has its own reputation but things really change.
At Barry we recently got a new Dean that is changing things up big time (for the better). And our new Gross Anatomy professor is phenomenal. Our Gross Lab is getting upgraded as well as the school library. Not being biased... because trust me I have my complaints, but no school is perfect. And although I might not be here to enjoy all of the glories that this school will have in the near future, it's nice to see them moving in the right direction. You could always PM me and I'm happy to elaborate.
Struggling in school is also subjective and yes you can correlate it to the amount of effort you put in. But don't forget to not just study hard but study smart.

Reactions: 1 users
Im from Barry and have friends from Kent. I think they are both great schools. But honestly, only you know which environment would be best for your success. You should also consider whichever should is cheaper (Scholarships etc.). All schools will provide you with the tools to succeed. Thats the truth and you should also remember that every graduating class is different. Each school historically has its own reputation but things really change.
At Barry we recently got a new Dean that is changing things up big time (for the better). And our new Gross Anatomy professor is phenomenal. Our Gross Lab is getting upgraded as well as the school library. Not being biased... because trust me I have may complaints, but no school is perfect. And although I might not be here to enjoy all of the glories that this school will have in the near future, it's nice to see them moving in the right direction. You could always PM me and I'm happy to elaborate.
Struggling in school is also subjective and yes you can correlate it to the amount of effort you put in. But don't forget to not just study hard but study smart.
Thanks so much for your opinion! I tried to PM you but I don't thing you allow people to PM you. I'd love to ask you some questions if you got the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
However, it really concerns me KSUCPM has 21% of students not graduating. At KSU, if you ever fail 2 classes (regardless if it's in the same semester or not), you're out! They will kick you out no matter what.

Can you provide proof of the above? That 21% is certainly concerning, if true.

I'm actually glad you made this thread. That number is concerning and I was not aware of this until now. Now I'm debating about my own decision to go to Kent...

Yes, of course. It's on their website. Four-Year Graduation Rate: 79%.

The 6 year graduation rate increases the numbers to 83%, but from what I read on school manual and from other forums, Kent is not forgiving of failed grades, so they must be for medical leave of absence and things of that nature. Again, I could be wrong since my experience is very limited. I am not here to talk bad about any school. I just want to make the best decision.

I don't think you should worry about that % much...for one they are not updated and its more or less the same across all of the programs. That % changes with every class and there are always those students that do not belong and can't handle the curriculum, those that fail and get a year behind, or those that find out Pod is not for them and leave, etc.

As far as kicking people out after failing 2 classes at Kent, all of the Pod programs give you a remedial if you fail a class, if you fail the remedial (exam) then you 'should' be given a chance to either repeat that one course the next time it is offered or to start again from Term 1 (both cases you will graduate late). Whereas, if you are taking 5 classes in Term 1 and then fail 4...then the program has a right to academically dismiss you...unless there was a life-changing event that leads to the failure.

In other words, the programs do their best to keep all of the students from day 1 until graduation.

I interviewed at Barry and I really liked their program and over the years their first time, part 1 pass % has gone up. While it is true that Barry takes in more than those make it out, I think you would get the same level of help from either program when you need them.

Reactions: 1 user
At Kent, if you fail two classes in one academic year, you will be dismissed. Academic year for first year = Fall, spring, summer semester. If you fail one class, you remediate it in the summer. If you fail the remediation, it counts as two failures and you are dismissed (you can appeal to be readmitted for the class below you). You would then come back when it's time to take the class you had failed with the new class (if you were dismissed and readmitted). If you pass, you continue on after the remediation. If you fail one class and successfully remediate it in the summer, you just continue on with your current class. If you failed another class after that remediation, it would be in the next academic year-- you would have to remediate it in the following summer. It's always best not to fail a class obviously, but it happens. There are people that had to remediate and are doing just fine now. There is also a six year limit on getting through the program.

My first year, we lost a few people. In second year, we had a few join our class from the class above us (readmitted students). There are a lot of tutoring services, people to help, etc., but you have to make the effort to ask for help & actually put in the hard work. As @DexterMorganSK said, programs do try to keep their students from day 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
When I started at Barry, we're allowed to have one remediation a semester with a maximum of 3 in the entire 4 years I believe. I know in the past, we've kept students who have failed boards 5 times.. so it is possible to stay in the program after a few repeats. However, it is changing now .. I wouldn't focus too much on remediation/failing. Be positive, work the hardest ever and you will succeed! It's possible.. believe in yourself.

Reactions: 2 users