Why Do Traveling PTs Make So Much More?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SloanTriumph

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the higher pay simply based on the fact that the job is asking you to relocate? Or does traveling PT require additional duties that other types of PTs don't have to deal with?

When I read that traveling PTs get paid more and have housing paid for, I'm left wondering what's the catch.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the higher pay simply based on the fact that the job is asking you to relocate? Or does traveling PT require additional duties that other types of PTs don't have to deal with?

When I read that traveling PTs get paid more and have housing paid for, I'm left wondering what's the catch.

The catch for a lot of people would be the constantly relocating when they may be trying to settle down. You constantly have to be setting up new contracts in sometimes less desirable areas. I'm just a student, but that is my best guess.

As a traveling PT, I will tell you why you make more per hour.

1) the job is an undesirable area. You're not going to find many contracts in Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, Charlotte, NC, etc. Not all the contracts are in the middle of nowhere, but probably in second cities like El Paso, TX, Spokane, WA, Fresno, CA, etc.

2) the job is in a good area but it has a bad reputation so the permanent workers in that area don't want it. In general, travel jobs are jobs that nobody wants and that's why the company has to pay $80-$90 to the staffing agency to fill the position.

3) as an itinerant worker you're constantly moving. You don't have your own furniture. You don't have your own home. It's hard to make friends or build a network. You make more as a traveling PT but you have to sacrifice a lot.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As a traveling PT, I will tell you why you make more per hour.

1) the job is an undesirable area. You're not going to find many contracts in Seattle, Austin, San Francisco, Charlotte, NC, etc. Not all the contracts are in the middle of nowhere, but probably in second cities like El Paso, TX, Spokane, WA, Fresno, CA, etc.

2) the job is in a good area but it has a bad reputation so the permanent workers in that area don't want it. In general, travel jobs are jobs that nobody wants and that's why the company has to pay $80-$90 to the staffing agency to fill the position.

3) as an itinerant worker you're constantly moving. You don't have your own furniture. You don't have your own home. It's hard to make friends or build a network. You make more as a traveling PT but you have to sacrifice a lot.
Do you enjoy being a traveling PT? After those three reasons, I can't see why being a travelling pt is desirable at all

After those three reasons, I can't see why being a travelling pt is desirable at all

I will give you three reasons why:
1. The $ is nice, if you have big loans to pay off.
2. The opportunity to see different parts of the country can be appealing.
3. You can "sample" different environments and settings. If one assignment happens to be lousy, it's no big deal - grin & bear it for 13 weeks and you're done. OTOH, if another assignment happens to be your dream job, you most likely have a leg up on other applicants if/when the facility decides to hire permanent staff.

I have some obligations that keep me rooted at home for now, but in a couple of years I can see myself as a traveling PT.

Do you enjoy being a traveling PT? After those three reasons, I can't see why being a travelling pt is desirable at all

Like jblil said, there are advantages. You can work in every setting in 18 months and become versatile. You can also see different parts of the country, but the novelty wears off after a couple of weeks. You don't notice the scenery when you're working. The money is definitely better than a permanent position because you're not taxed on half of your income and you're given a generous stipend. However, you will spend more for housing if you want to maintain your standard of living. Short-term housing is not cheap and if you do find short-term housing, you still have to buy or rent furniture. You can rent something on Craig's List or AirBNB but you won't live alone. If you want to know more, you can send me a private message.

@NewTestament the other side does seem pretty green, can you give a little detail why half of your income is not taxed?

40-50% of your income is technically a "stipend" for housing and living expenses, but the government doesn't take that. Your hourly rate is also higher. Therefore your after-tax income is higher than a permanent job. It's one of the advantages of being a traveler.

Reactions: 1 user
40-50% of your income is technically a "stipend" for housing and living expenses, but the government doesn't take that. Your hourly rate is also higher. Therefore your after-tax income is higher than a permanent job. It's one of the advantages of being a traveler.

I heard that some travelers can negotiate for a very low rate, in order to maximize their tax-free living stipend. True?

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that some travelers can negotiate for a very low rate, in order to maximize their tax-free living stipend. True?

Yes you can, and I do. I can make as low as $20/hr, which is the only portion that is taxed.

Reactions: 3 users
Yes you can, and I do. I can make as low as $20/hr, which is the only portion that is taxed.
Can you go into more detail about how that works? what extra benefits/pay do you receive from taking less hourly? What does your "hourly" come out to after benefits. (Don't need specifics if you're not comfortable. Ranges are fine)

Thanks@

I recently passed the boards and in my search to find a job that fit me, I contacted a few recruiters and at the same time applied to local outpatient clinics in the area of my main residence. I went through the interview process of both and was surprised to see how much a difference it is in pay with a travel contract compared to my local outpatient job offers. Essentially I would be taking home $1545/wk after taxes in the travel job, and approx $1270/wk (approx $5000/mo) after taxes in the local outpatient clinic. The reason you get so much more with travel PT is that your wages are very low, about $20/hr, which puts you in the 15% tax bracket. Compare that to my local outpatient clinic that would put me in the 25% tax bracket. Essentially I'm losing over $10k in taxes working in an outpatient clinic, compared to approx <$5k working a travel job. Then you combine the benefits of per diem/stipends/etc. and you have a non-taxable amount that goes straight to you. I also calculated how much I would have to make in outpatient with taxes to be equal to the income I would get working in a travel job, and it was unreal. I would have to have an outpatient job with an over $100k salary to offset the tax loss and equal an entry level travel job.

In the end though I chose the outpatient job. I just loved the area, the clinic, the staff and the clinical mentality and felt I would be more happy and stable there. If you are planning on moving soon, want some variability in your working environment and a much higher pay, travel therapy is the best way to achieve all those things. I have 3 friends that are doing travel therapy right now. 2 of them are married as a travel couple and they literally work for 3 months, take a month long vacation in the caribbean, Hawaii, Europe, etc. and then come back and travel for their next contract. The money they make is unreal. But in the end, you have to find the right situation that fits you.

Can you go into more detail about how that works? what extra benefits/pay do you receive from taking less hourly? What does your "hourly" come out to after benefits. (Don't need specifics if you're not comfortable. Ranges are fine)

Thanks@

You negotiate a lower hourly rate when you sign the contract. You don't receive extra benefits or pay, but you maximize your stipend to minimize your realized (i.e.- taxable) income. You'll pay fewer taxes and take home more money. My hourly rate is $20/hr.

I recently passed the boards and in my search to find a job that fit me, I contacted a few recruiters and at the same time applied to local outpatient clinics in the area of my main residence. I went through the interview process of both and was surprised to see how much a difference it is in pay with a travel contract compared to my local outpatient job offers. Essentially I would be taking home $1545/wk after taxes in the travel job, and approx $1270/wk (approx $5000/mo) after taxes in the local outpatient clinic.

I'm surprised you can make $1270/wk after taxes. Most outpatient clinics are offering $65-$75k/yr before taxes. I would cry if I took a job in a regular outpatient clinic. If you do home health as a traveler, you can make $1800-$2000/wk after taxes. One danger of becoming a traveler is that you become reluctant to take a full-time position because you would take a massive pay-cut. Your expectations are higher as a traveler.

Reactions: 1 users
I've been told that if you become a traveling home health therapist you will end up stuck in that field. Is this true? How hard is to break into outpatient once you've done HH for a while?