Why do patients like chiros more than PTs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe convenient from your point of view but that doesn't extrapolate to anyone you see in the clinic. I worked in a POPT practice a long time ago and the surgeons (right across the hall) never came into the clinic so I believe you should probably see more than 1 before you can make such claims.
They said they saw a clinic that worked well with different practitioners. Wasn't claiming that it was the best and only option. Calm down.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
fyi
average PT school matriculant in 2018 undergrad GPA (most recent data I could find) was 3.57
DO was 3.43 the same year
not sure what DC is, probably between 2.5 and 3.0, there is no published data
Hahaha...

I am not a DO bro. Not sure what your point is comparing GPAs when these professions have different admission standards.

Be happy with what you do and don't be hell bent in trying to compare yourself with some random DO/MD on SDN.

Last edited:
Hahaha...

I am not a DO bro. Not sure what your point is comparing GPAs when these professions have different admission standards.

Be happy with what you do and don't be hell bent in trying to compare yourself with some random DO/MD on SDN.

Dude, you're the one trying to inflame people with your "lol" comment- don't pretend to be on high ground now. :rolleyes:

Dude, you're the one trying to inflame people with your "lol" comment- don't pretend to be on high ground now. :rolleyes:
Well, I am always on high ground since I don't have to publish what the average the GPA for MD is...

You said this
Hahaha...

then you said this
Well, I am always on high ground since I don't have to publish what the average the GPA for MD is...
I'm not sure how that makes sense as you contradicted yourself

Not really. You're just being a jerk trying to belittle other people and their professions, so obviously you have some insecurities to work through. It's okay to acknowledge those and work through them.

You said this

then you said this

I'm not sure how that makes sense as you contradicted yourself
I don't see the contradiction. I was not the one who spent time looking for GPAs for PT vs. DO.

Why go to PT school if you guys/gals are insecure about your profession? I don't get it.

OK guys/gals.... PTs are smarter than physicians if that make you feel good.

Why go to PT school if you guys/gals are insecure about your profession? I don't get it.

OK guys/gals.... PTs are smarter than physicians if that make you feel good.
I'm perfectly happy with that. I know how intelligent I am, and I also know about job satisfaction rates, required dedication, working environment for average MDs versus DPTs. I'm perfectly satisfied that I made the right choice, and that it doesn't damage my neurons a whit to study PT. Fewer than half of all doctors say they'd do it all again, if they knew what they know now when deciding whether to pursue medicine. The numbers are a lot different for PTs; I'd say we made the smart choice.

I'm no dimwit, myself. I was just offered a reserved seat today for a school I'm not interviewing at until January, a top 20 school with very good research facilities and a respected pioneering facility in constraint-induced therapy. They said that my scores and application were so impressive that they don't need to wait for the interview... so I hardly need your petty, sarcastic reassurances. I've got no time for the small men who hide their insecurities behind a troll's club-twirling to take up space in my mental hard drive, and I'd suggest that all my DPT friends take the same route. No one who is secure in their own abilities feels the need to belittle others- the need in itself speaks to feelings of insufficiency. :asshat:

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for my MD friends... so I don't have to do it! I have a friend doing rounds now who is sometimes gone from 6 in the morning until 10 at night. Better him than me! ;)

I'm perfectly happy with that. I know how intelligent I am, and I also know about job satisfaction rates, required dedication, working environment for average MDs versus DPTs. I'm perfectly satisfied that I made the right choice, and that it doesn't damage my neurons a whit to study PT. Fewer than half of all doctors say they'd do it all again, if they knew what they know now when deciding whether to pursue medicine. The numbers are a lot different for PTs; I'd say we made the smart choice.

I'm no dimwit, myself. I was just offered a reserved seat today for a school I'm not interviewing at until January, a top 20 school with very good research facilities and a respected pioneering facility in constraint-induced therapy. They said that my scores and application were so impressive that they don't need to wait for the interview... so I hardly need your petty, sarcastic reassurances. I've got no time for the small men who hide their insecurities behind a troll's club-twirling to take up space in my mental hard drive, and I'd suggest that all my DPT friends take the same route. No one who is secure in their own abilities feels the need to belittle others- the need in itself speaks to feelings of insufficiency. :asshat:

Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for my MD friends... so I don't have to do it! I have a friend doing rounds now who is sometimes gone from 6 in the morning until 10 at night. Better him than me! ;)
Your insecurity is showing with the elaboration about you being accepted to a "top 20 school"... Nowhere in this thread I said anything bad about the PT profession. I work with PT everyday and I get along well with them.

Your insecurity is showing with the elaboration about you being accepted to a "top 20 school"... Nowhere in this thread I said anything bad about the PT profession. I work with PT everyday and I get along well with them.
Nope. Nice try. My point is not to you- it is to other PT students.

I speak from a point where I know I have nothing to prove; I want to make it clear to PT students that they do not need to feel intimidated or as though they are somehow less. There was no call for any of your comments. Each and every PT student who reads this thread needs to know that they are just as worthy as any other hardworking professional. You can try to turn things back onto me as much as you'd like, but it's a futile battle. To you, I have nothing to prove. To them, I only need to make it clear that DPTs are not inferior, and they have no need to feel that way.

This conversation took a bad turn. But I'll add my thoughts anyway:

1) Like any profession, 5-10% of chiropractors are really good. They understand anatomy, physiology, and pathology really well. They take the time to tailor their treatment to the patient. They stay on top of research. Greg Lehman comes to mind. There are many PT's out there. I get nauseous every time I see a PT hand out a printout of Hep2Go. It looks cheap. Even worse is the exercise handout that has been scanned 1,000 times since 1998.

2) What annoys me most about DC's is their tendency to talk about things they shouldn't be talking about: nutrition, disease, cancer. I see DC's opening their own cancer centers. For some reason, DC's LOVE the keto diet and there is a limitless supply of DC's promoting the latest diet. Stay in your lane, DC's. I'm shocked the medical board hasn't attacked DC's yet. Something tells me that all the medical school rejects went to DC school. Stick to musculoskeletal pain, manual therapy, etc. Quit pretending to be oncologists.

3) The profession as a whole attracts quacks or does a good job of turning young adults into them. The whole profession started with a quack and it continues to be that way.

4) PT's and chiros need to collaborate. Good PT's and good chiros need to share information and good ideas. I'm not anti-chiropractor, but I am anti chiropractors acting like they're shamans and healers. Stop it.

Reactions: 4 users

Not to continue de-railing the conversation, but I think the reason a lot of Physicians may regret their career choice is more due to the fact that so many their whole lives are forced into this mind-set of "prestige" and "money" from their parents who really enforced these ideals. So they go along with it, and realize it consumed them, but because they didn't love it, they couldn't find passion to enjoy it.

My parents my whole life told me to be a Doctor and I rebelled and didn't - then many a year later wound up here anyways lol BUT on my own accord. I love the lifestyle of always being busy so I don't regret it, the knowledge and human connection and ability to heal drives me to want to learn / do more.

I'm sure the same can be said for many fields as well, don't get me wrong, but few fields outside of medicine have such a societal pressure telling people to pursue it, and thus having many pursue for possibly the wrong reasons.

As a nurse practitioner and a future medical student, I did not and will never refer patients to chiropractors. The problem I have with the profession is that they claim "adjusment" can cure everything: diabetes, depression, anxiety, sleep, and non-sense anti-vaccination propaganda. I had a patient who went to a chiropractor because she felt depressed. I was so shocked, when the chiropractor claimed that he could cure her depression with spinal adjustment 3 times per week for 12 weeks. So I decided to do a little bit research about the profession, and here is a youtube video that basically summarizes the kind of treatment that my patient received.

Reactions: 3 users
As a nurse practitioner and a future medical student, I did not and will never refer patients to chiropractors. The problem I have with the profession is that they claim "adjusment" can cure everything: diabetes, depression, anxiety, sleep, and non-sense anti-vaccination propaganda. I had a patient who went to a chiropractor because she felt depressed. I was so shocked, when the chiropractor claimed that he could cure her depression with spinal adjustment 3 times per week for 12 weeks. So I decided to do a little bit research about the profession, and here is a youtube video that basically summarizes the kind of treatment that my patient received.

He said constipation and he goes 3x a day!?

What made you want to do medical school if you were already an NP, just out of curiosity?

As a nurse practitioner and a future medical student, I did not and will never refer patients to chiropractors. The problem I have with the profession is that they claim "adjusment" can cure everything...

Not all chiros do that, but the ones who do are quacks, and the profession attracts a lot of them.

And the 3week12 frequency is so common. What a waste of time. The whole model teaches dependence.

I do not know much about the science of PT and chiros. But I have been treated by a good chiro, he gave me a lot of exercise to do. Also, I think the strength of chiro is it can be a very quick fix. I had right shoulder instability that is weak at generating force at certain angle, then the chiro spent few minutes to quack my spine, neck, stretch my chest muscle then BOOM, the shoulder generate good force like my left shoulder. He magically "fix" several of my body parts in 20 minutes session, and the effect last for days. And that effect allowed me to do exercises more effectively.

As a DO, we learn all the principles Chiros learn (as im sure PTs do too). The difference is, we understand its just a tool in the toolbox, whereas Chiros will try to sell you on magical healing for ALL things. This is why they are dangerous, but also once in a while you will find a good one who "stays in their lane" and focuses on a teamwork approach and only focuses on musculoskeletal complaints. They are good for some musculoskeletal things. PT I would still argue is better, because if you think about the Leaning Tower of Piza, Chiropractic adjustment is like standing up the tower straight again, however, because the base is not sturdy, it falls back to its original position, whereas PT will actually provide a new groundwork for the tower to stand straight on its own. Arguable an approach somewhere in the middle is probably the best (Hence why I chose DO school to learn those techniques then send a patient to a PT). PT will ultimately give you better results (Assuming equally trained/knowledgeable practitioners) but it will take longer. There is no magic in medicine, 10 minutes can't fix 95% of the stuff in medicine. Many chiros also work with baseline much healthier populations than PTs or physicians. They will go on to claim how healthy and happy all their patients are, but due to insurance coverage and what-not, many of their patients are seeking them on their own volition, have impeccable insurance, or are weekend warriors who are already doing much of the stuff they already need to do to be healthy. I saw a DC once (unfortunately my cousin, lol) share an article correlating Chiropractic services to the QOL of a population in a town. Of course I didn't bring it up to him because ive learned its kinda pointless, but the bias in that study was uncanny, as there are more chiropractors living in areas of wealth because that's the only patient population who can afford to go to them. And of course they're already healthy, probably eating their Quinoa and going on 5k runs once a week.

Some Chiros go on to study and try and label themselves as "Chiropractic Internists" or "Chiropractic Physicians" and this is why they get into a lot of ****. They study Chiropractic and try and pretend they are Primary Care Physicians, and it's disgusting. Of course it's the hippie states like Colorado which promotes a lot of this, because of course they're extremely young states full of athletes who just wanna smoke weed and get touched and **** meds cuz they're just poison being pushed on us to make us sick so the government can control you mannnnn. Physicians and DPTs need to collaborate on shutting down BS like this.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.