Why 1 hour photo ok but not 15 minute for RX?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rivatnt

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Getting some photos processed and realized 1 hour is the normal.

When I tell patients "15 min" for RX, they are like WTF? Isn't 30 minutes good?

Members don't see this ad.

perception of thinking it takes time to process film and print even though people no longer use film. previous to one hour photo, it used to take a day or 2 to get pictures back. so one hour photo is like lightening speed.

now....perception of pharmacy... how long does it take to take some pills from a large bottle, count them, put it in a smaller bottle, and slap a label on? I say..2 minutes. I feel this way and im a pharmacist.

do you blame the public?

Why ask why? Which way is up? Why is the grass green and the sky blue?

Better yet, why are people satisfied with a 45 minute wait to get pizza delivery yet 15 mintues for a prescription is intolerable.

now....perception of pharmacy... how long does it take to take some pills from a large bottle, count them, put it in a smaller bottle, and slap a label on? I say..2 minutes. I feel this way and im a pharmacist. ?

I would say for one refill for one patient it takes about 2 minutes to print a label, grab a bottle off the shelf, put 30 pills from the big bottle into a little bottle, label and bag it. If I had only 1 customer who frequented my pharmacy I could get thier refill done in 2 minutes.

The problem is I have hundreds of people who trade at my pharmacy. I have hundreds of refills that need to filled everyday along with new prescriptions, patients to be counseled, phone calls, questions, problems, a list of manager duties as long as my arm ect, ect.

do you blame the public?

Nope. The suck ass corporate pharmacy machine is to blame. About the time of the first drive through retail pharmacy lost its way. Service all of a sudden was equated with speed. Getting the correct prescription with the correct directions and counseling is only good service if it is done in 5 minutes. Any longer and I am taking my prescription somewhere else!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
MountainPharmD - Did you get my PM?

perception of thinking it takes time to process film and print even though people no longer use film. previous to one hour photo, it used to take a day or 2 to get pictures back. so one hour photo is like lightening speed.

now....perception of pharmacy... how long does it take to take some pills from a large bottle, count them, put it in a smaller bottle, and slap a label on? I say..2 minutes. I feel this way and im a pharmacist.

do you blame the public?

2 minutes is no problem if you have no other rxs to fill and no phone calls and no one else picking up and the script is not missing a quantity or directions.

I love when I am the only one in the pharmacy and I am helping someone at out window and the phone is repeating 2 pharmacy calls over and over again and someone in the drive thru window presses the button when they can clearly see me helping someone 2 ft away and then someone keeps putting their keys on the counter and coughing at in window because they think people are hiding somewhere when they can clearly see the whole pharmacy. Then I go over to in window and they have 6 rxs and I tell them there are 4 people waiting ahead of them and I am the only one here and I will get it done as soon as I can but I can't promise exactly when it will be done because I don't know how busy it will get. This can happen a lot because it seems I can be doing nothing for 1 hour then all of a sudden everyone comes at once.
If they complain I usually give them corporate's number and tell them to tell corporate they need to have more people working.

2 minutes is no problem if you have no other rxs to fill and no phone calls and no one else picking up and the script is not missing a quantity or directions.

I love when I am the only one in the pharmacy and I am helping someone at out window and the phone is repeating 2 pharmacy calls over and over again and someone in the drive thru window presses the button when they can clearly see me helping someone 2 ft away and then someone keeps putting their keys on the counter and coughing at in window because they think people are hiding somewhere when they can clearly see the whole pharmacy. Then I go over to in window and they have 6 rxs and I tell them there are 4 people waiting ahead of them and I am the only one here and I will get it done as soon as I can but I can't promise exactly when it will be done because I don't know how busy it will get. This can happen a lot because it seems I can be doing nothing for 1 hour then all of a sudden everyone comes at once.
If they complain I usually give them corporate's number and tell them to tell corporate they need to have more people working.

They aint worried about how many scripts you're working on. People are very myopic and only understand their own little world and their perception. They expect they'll wait a long time to see a doctor. They expect to get their Big Mac Value Meal #1 in no time. They expect to get their photos in 1 hour. They expect to get the mail around the same time everyday.

Perception is the reality. gahhh..I hate using cliche'....

yea, on the weekends, we are slow, i get em out in 3 mins

but on weekdays, i got 500 to do, sorry, even if you just need a damn inhaler, i cant just have you cut in front of my other waiters who got there first

They aint worried about how many scripts you're working on. People are very myopic and only understand their own little world and their perception. They expect they'll wait a long time to see a doctor. They expect to get their Big Mac Value Meal #1 in no time. They expect to get their photos in 1 hour. They expect to get the mail around the same time everyday.

Perception is the reality. gahhh..I hate using cliche'....

I'm fine waiting at the pharmacy. I'm probably the most annoying patient though at the doctor's office. The way I see it, when you make an appointment to see the doctor at 12:15PM, you should be inside the examination room with the doctor by 12:25PM.

What I hate that doctor's do is when they start asking for tests and stuff (which probably eats up the time). I had a pretty bad cough one time and the doctor decided that I needed a blood test and an electrocardiogram...WTF (apparently he thought it was weight related). I don't want the antibiotics, just give me a script for some Tussionex and send me on my way.

It has been this way as long as I have worked in retail and that's since the spring of 1976. This is nothing new. This is a reflection the society we inhabit.

You can blame this on whatever you want. Pharmacy has never been able to get across the fact that they provide a service and a product. You can have your product in 10 minutes. You can't review their profile for allergies, interactions and compliance in 10 minutes.

We have always stressed the product. This change really occurred in the 50's when we went away from compounding and went with selling medication prepared by others.

The issue I have with most people is lack of history and perspective. This occurred before the first CVS opened.

Perception is reality, it's not a cliche, it's the truth....

I'm fine waiting at the pharmacy. I'm probably the most annoying patient though at the doctor's office. The way I see it, when you make an appointment to see the doctor at 12:15PM, you should be inside the examination room with the doctor by 12:25PM.

What I hate that doctor's do is when they start asking for tests and stuff (which probably eats up the time). I had a pretty bad cough one time and the doctor decided that I needed a blood test and an electrocardiogram...WTF (apparently he thought it was weight related). I don't want the antibiotics, just give me a script for some Tussionex and send me on my way.

My husband went to a new doctor once for a very minor medical problem. The doctor ordered a full battery of tests and had him come back. Then he ordered more tests. It was only when the doc started ordering repeat tests that my husband started to get the feeling that something was not right with that doc. All the tests were normal and he was healthy and in his twenties at the time. The doc must have seen my husband as an ATM machine or something.

It has been this way as long as I have worked in retail and that's since the spring of 1976. This is nothing new. This is a reflection the society we inhabit.

You can blame this on whatever you want. Pharmacy has never been able to get across the fact that they provide a service and a product. You can have your product in 10 minutes. You can't review their profile for allergies, interactions and compliance in 10 minutes.

We have always stressed the product. This change really occurred in the 50's when we went away from compounding and went with selling medication prepared by others.

The issue I have with most people is lack of history and perspective. This occurred before the first CVS opened.

Perception is reality, it's not a cliche, it's the truth....

Maybe I read wrong somewhere, but I thought that it was a federal law that prior to the 70's pharmacists werent even allowed to talk to patients about their medications and had to refer them back to their physician.

Maybe I read wrong somewhere, but I thought that it was a federal law that prior to the 70's pharmacists werent even allowed to talk to patients about their medications and had to refer them back to their physician.

Urban Legend.....

The federal government does not regulate the profession.

It was an APhA document which said until the 1960s that pharmacists are not supposed to discussed the medication with the patient.

The federal government does not regulate the profession.

It was an APhA document which said until the 1960s that pharmacists are not supposed to discussed the medication with the patient.

Doctors would check off if they wanted the name of the medication on the label....