Who's Going to Ros Franklin this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
akpete said:
Katklink and DoctorMalki, where are ya'll going? Good luck!! :D

Wake Forest :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well, being that there hasn't been much waitlist movement elsewhere in the country, I'm starting to make my plans to come to North Chicago. I finally sent in my financial aid today (although I went with T.H.E., instead of Sallie Mae and Medloans, hope that's not a problem), and I'm going to be going to look for a place to live July 7-9. Any suggestions? Wish me luck!

P.S. This thread needs more action :D

is RF going to send us the paper version of the orientation package?

Members don't see this ad :)
Good question. I would imagine no, since that would cost the school more, and you can just print off what you want to.

I am told a Rosalind student needs a car because there is no public transportation system and no grocery store or shopping mall within walking distance. I may shop for a used car upon arrival and any tips will be much appreciated. Also, how are auto insurance rates in North Chicago (just liability insurance)? Thanks.

So I've been in constant communication with David in the admissions office, for those of you who may be on waitlists I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. The list isn't moving as fast as I'd hoped, but last I heard they needed 7 more drops to begin taking students from the waitlist. Still holding out for a CMS spot =).

Anyway, I've been accepted into their AP program and am definitely going to be in the North Chicago area next year, but I don't have a lot of time to shop around for living arrangements. Northern Crossing sounds like the best bet, as I've talked to woodlands and the dorms. Dorm waitlist is about 100 strong, so thats Out of the question. Woodlands has zero one bedrooms available. Anybody have any other recommendations on where to look? The only other place I've seen mentioned repeatedly is Northern Crossing.

And if anybody is looking for a roommate pm me. 22/m/ns. Currently debating the monetary consequences of living alone, but as I had the roommate from hell this year... (he has a fifth of whiskey or case of beer a day habit and refuses to smoke outside, this being said you can imagine his hygeine habits) I'm not opposed to a roommate, as long as you're easygoing, and a non-smoker. That's all I care about.

Oh, and I'm from Northwest Chicago area (and I bleed cubbie blue) so any of you cali kids curious about just how bad the snow might be around there or whatever you want to know, well yeah. pm away.

Ombatay said:
So I've been in constant communication with David in the admissions office, for those of you who may be on waitlists I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. The list isn't moving as fast as I'd hoped, but last I heard they needed 7 more drops to begin taking students from the waitlist. Still holding out for a CMS spot =).

Anyway, I've been accepted into their AP program and am definitely going to be in the North Chicago area next year, but I don't have a lot of time to shop around for living arrangements. Northern Crossing sounds like the best bet, as I've talked to woodlands and the dorms. Dorm waitlist is about 100 strong, so thats Out of the question. Woodlands has zero one bedrooms available. Anybody have any other recommendations on where to look? The only other place I've seen mentioned repeatedly is Northern Crossing.

And if anybody is looking for a roommate pm me. 22/m/ns. Currently debating the monetary consequences of living alone, but as I had the roommate from hell this year... (he has a fifth of whiskey or case of beer a day habit and refuses to smoke outside, this being said you can imagine his hygeine habits) I'm not opposed to a roommate, as long as you're easygoing, and a non-smoker. That's all I care about.

Oh, and I'm from Northwest Chicago area (and I bleed cubbie blue) so any of you cali kids curious about just how bad the snow might be around there or whatever you want to know, well yeah. pm away.
i heard different things regarding about the car. Is a Corolla good enough in snow condition? or should i buy a 'stronger' car?

faradayampere said:
i heard different things regarding about the car. Is a Corolla good enough in snow condition? or should i buy a 'stronger' car?

Your Corolla should be fine in the snow. Front wheel drive is a plus, at least better than rear wheel, but all wheel or 4 wheel is best. You don't have to go buy a jeep to survive a winter in Chicago, as I manage to pilot my neon without much a problem. My only advice to you is be very cautious your first time driving in the snow. Maybe go to an empty parking lot and practice if you're really nervous, but no worries, you'll be just fine.

Ombatay said:
Your Corolla should be fine in the snow. Front wheel drive is a plus, at least better than rear wheel, but all wheel or 4 wheel is best. You don't have to go buy a jeep to survive a winter in Chicago, as I manage to pilot my neon without much a problem. My only advice to you is be very cautious your first time driving in the snow. Maybe go to an empty parking lot and practice if you're really nervous, but no worries, you'll be just fine.
any update on the waitlist ?

faradayampere said:
is RF going to send us the paper version of the orientation package?

Paper version?? I have not recieved any version. Where we supposed to have been e-mailed something pertaining to orientation?
The only thing I saw on their web site is the class schedule.
What up?

kidgorgeous said:
any update on the waitlist ?

i'm wondering the same thing.. at least until i get off it... but side note, should we be working on amcas for reapplying? i know it'd be dumb to submit amcas, burn $1000, then get off the waitlist and find all that work unnecessary. but i think it'd be worst to never get off the waitlist, and then find myself submitting amcas late july, early august, in the "applied late" pile... shoot.. LOSE LOSE SITUATION!!

echinoderm said:
i'm wondering the same thing.. at least until i get off it... but side note, should we be working on amcas for reapplying? i know it'd be dumb to submit amcas, burn $1000, then get off the waitlist and find all that work unnecessary. but i think it'd be worst to never get off the waitlist, and then find myself submitting amcas late july, early august, in the "applied late" pile... shoot.. LOSE LOSE SITUATION!!

Today I called the admission's office and was told that 5 people have to drop before they give acceptances off of the waitlist. So this may or may not happen in a week or two.

Echinoderm -- you could submit amcas to just one or two schools and then add more if you don't get in. That way you won't lose all the money. Or, you can start working on it and not submit till the end of July.

Tkehinde said:
Paper version?? I have not recieved any version. Where we supposed to have been e-mailed something pertaining to orientation?
The only thing I saw on their web site is the class schedule.
What up?

Didn't you get the "yea, we're off probation" email? A link to pre-matriculation info was in that email. Here ya go.

Does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is? I can't find it anywhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
echinoderm said:
i just got a call this morning. i'm off the waitlist! for everyone still on the list, that means they're definitely processing it cause they told me the same thing about 5 ppl, etc.

white coat ceremony is july 29.

can i hop on someone's back for on-campus housing? PM me if so... otherwise lemme know if anyone neeeds to a roomie.
CONGRATS :) that is soooo awsome :) if you have any Q's about CMS PM me... I'm a second year med student

Once again CONGRATS :) :)

ocean11, do you have any recommendations for off-campus housing? I'll be down next week to look for a place. I've looked at the apartments listed on the website using apartments.com.

Has anyone moved to the area yet? I just moved into the Woodlands and thought I'd get started on meeting ppl. I'm somewhat familiar with chicago but not the area up here. Anyone wanna go exploring with me? PM me!!! =)

Also, looking for someone to see War of the Worlds at IMAX with!!

lumaya said:
Has anyone moved to the area yet? I just moved into the Woodlands and thought I'd get started on meeting ppl. I'm somewhat familiar with chicago but not the area up here. Anyone wanna go exploring with me? PM me!!! =)

Also, looking for someone to see War of the Worlds at IMAX with!!

I'm not going to be moving until right before school starts (i.e. July 25!! :eek: ), but I think that it would be awesome if a bunch of us got together either right before or during orientation. I'm not really sure what orientation has for us socially, but I think it would be fun. :)

I am also going to give up my spot at chicago med today at noontime

hey, which school are u gonna end up going to?

I move in July 22nd up in Northern Crossing (AP still waiting on a CMS spot). Looking forward to orientation and meeting all of you. Despite being from about 45 minutes away I don't know anybody up in the waukegan area, as I am from Schaumburg. Keep me posted on any get togethers. In addition I'll be in Schaumburg all week this week, and on campus somewhat tracking down financial aid people, anybody in the area wants to meet up PM me. Again, if anybody want's to know anything about the area, feel free to contact me. :)

anybody else dropping their spot this week? :confused:

Hey y'all..congrats on those who got into this school..it's a wonderful place! I am selling my furniture since I'll be going back to Texas for school. I have all the bare necessities (including the best bed ever) and more. If interested, PM me with your e-mail address.

txko

akpete said:
I'm not really sure what orientation has for us socially, but I think it would be fun. :)

There will be a social event every night of orientation and saturday evening as well. Save your money to relax before the craziness begins.

the events are: going to cubby bear (a hangout place i think), individual group events depending each person's liking, going to a bar/club, and Navy Pier saturday followed by clubbing. I think the club on saturday may be a little pricey, but it's unlimited drinks.

Orchid 209 said:
There will be a social event every night of orientation and saturday evening as well. Save your money to relax before the craziness begins.

the events are: going to cubby bear (a hangout place i think), individual group events depending each person's liking, going to a bar/club, and Navy Pier saturday followed by clubbing. I think the club on saturday may be a little pricey, but it's unlimited drinks.

Yeah!!! :D

Well guys, I hate to break it to ya, but I'm dropping my spot this week. Good luck to everyone! :) :luck:

akpete said:
Well guys, I hate to break it to ya, but I'm dropping my spot this week. Good luck to everyone! :) :luck:

Dropping your spot? Good news for me I suppose, but where are you heading instead? Good luck wherever you go!

Ombatay said:
Dropping your spot? Good news for me I suppose, but where are you heading instead? Good luck wherever you go!

I'm going to MCW. I got the call when I was 1/2 hour away from looking at apartments in Waukegan/Gurnee. Craziness. MCW is way cheaper for me since I'm a WI resident. Good luck to all of you waiting!! :luck: It's a great school. I feel bad saying no to them. :oops: I'm overnighting my letter tomorrow.

hi, this is for any former ap'ers. does anyone know if the 3 yr exp. for the mcat applies to aps who are applying to the md prog. im in the program but took the mcat in 2002 so it isn't valid for most schools for this app cycle. don't really want to take it if i don't have to. thanks!

hobbes_68 said:
hi, this is for any former ap'ers. does anyone know if the 3 yr exp. for the mcat applies to aps who are applying to the md prog. im in the program but took the mcat in 2002 so it isn't valid for most schools for this app cycle. don't really want to take it if i don't have to. thanks!

You should call the admissions office for CMS (remember to mention to them you are in AP) or talk to Dr. Pullen. I'm assuming you don't have to retake the MCATs, but I'd ask just to be on the safe side.

Hey all. Ill be joining you guys in a couple of weeks for good. Just wanted to say whats up to everyone. Now Ill finally get to meet you mysterious SDNers in person :laugh:

See ya soon!!

Anyone still looking for housing?? My roommate got off the waitlist at Howard and so I'm in a desperate search for a replacement. I'm F/NS/incoming AP. I'm at Woodlands Phase 2 1st floor apt. Call for more info (352)208-2267 ( I don't have easy access to internet right now) Thanks!!!

What is there to do around the campus?

Any nice places to study near the campus? Cafes, starbucks,......etc?