Who's Going to Ros Franklin this fall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am very proud to say that I got in to the AP (post-bac) program and will be there for orientation july 25th! I am from Ventura, CA went to school at UCSB. :) ;)

Members don't see this ad.

ucsb101 said:
I am very proud to say that I got in to the AP (post-bac) program and will be there for orientation july 25th! I am from Ventura, CA went to school at UCSB. :) ;)

:thumbup: :)

ucsb101 said:
congrats!! good job!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone looking for a roommate? I'll be going there in fall as a member of the AP program...Hurrah! I think i'm living at the woodlands but I gotta check it out in a week. I'm F/NS PM for more info!

how do you [who did not get on-campus housing] plan to do about housing? How early do you need to look out for apt?

faradayampere said:
how do you [who did not get on-campus housing] plan to do about housing? How early do you need to look out for apt?
most ppl who don't get into student housing live at the woodlands. I've heard some +'s and-'s about it. But its as close to the campus as the dorms and would save you the trouble of having to drive in the snow during the icy Chicago winters. I hear they fil up pretty fast so its best to figure it out sometime soon. Ectopic posted some great resources above that I've checked out... really helpful. Theres a few students looking for roomies. Hope that helps!

lumaya said:
most ppl who don't get into student housing live at the woodlands. I've heard some +'s and-'s about it. But its as close to the campus as the dorms and would save you the trouble of having to drive in the snow during the icy Chicago winters. I hear they fil up pretty fast so its best to figure it out sometime soon. Ectopic posted some great resources above that I've checked out... really helpful. Theres a few students looking for roomies. Hope that helps!
so you are going over there to check out the apartment soon? If yes, when you come back, can you please tell me some info on the housing stuffs? I have not even thought about that yet .... I guess I should look into it soon.

faradayampere said:
so you are going over there to check out the apartment soon? If yes, when you come back, can you please tell me some info on the housing stuffs? I have not even thought about that yet .... I guess I should look into it soon.
Yea sure!
But in the mean time what I would do is contact some ppl who are trying to sublet and ask them to send some pics of their apts and the complex.

http://66.99.255.20/students/messag...EN=38434386&jsessionid=8030964881107879109500

Feel free to PM me if you have any other q's...I've been to Chicago several times and know someone at RFUMS so I'm somewhat familiar w the area. =)

Haybrant said:
this thread should be renamed: How many people from Cal going to Ros Franklin this fall

go bears!
yea, why is it that so many Cali ppl go there??? I heard something like 50% of the class is from there...

I will be attending Rosalind this fall in the AP program. I am very excited and look forward to meeting everyone. I have lived in Chicago for 7 years and know the city / suburbs well if anyone has any questions, let me know. The school is great and the probation will soon be a non issue.

I feel like we should have rec'd something from RF by now regarding when school starts, what orientation entails, how long its for, what time to report, when and where to report...
I know we still have 2 months but if anyone's like me, I will be out of the country for the next month an a half and kinda wanted to have everything set before i leave.
My family has also been bugging me about this white coat ceremony thing and I don't even know when it is.
They will be flying cross country to see the thing. Any ideas? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
what's going on with their housing? I got a call today from the housing office but they asked me to call them back. Anyone else get a call?

I'm going to be an Orientation Advisor for next year, and have some info about that may be helpful to you guys.

As of right now, orientation week is scheduled to start July 25th. However, the school is still deciding whether to shorten orientation to 3 days or keep it as is. If that's the case, orientation will start Jully 27th. No matter when orientation officially starts, the white coat ceremony will be July 29th. First day of classes is August 1st. Orientation dates are the same for AP, and you pretty much go through the same type of sessions.

I can't answer any questions about housing, but they just gave info for continuing students about housing like 5 or 6 weeks ago I believe. I heard there's a waitlist for the woodlands, but you guys have to consider that woodlands don't require their residents to renew their lease until the month before their lease ends. Most lease ends June 30 or July 31st. Oh yeah, try to get Phase II. If they give you a Phase I..... don't take it. It's nasty. I don't know if there will be a lot of Phase II apts opening, but I know a lot of students are moving out of PhaseI at Woodlands into the dorms. I put up a post about housing options in the RF AP program thread in the post bacc forum if you guys want more suggestions.

Orchid 209 said:
I'm going to be an Orientation Advisor for next year, and have some info about that may be helpful to you guys.

As of right now, orientation week is scheduled to start July 25th. However, the school is still deciding whether to shorten orientation to 3 days or keep it as is. If that's the case, orientation will start Jully 27th. No matter when orientation officially starts, the white coat ceremony will be July 29th. First day of classes is August 1st. Orientation dates are the same for AP, and you pretty much go through the same type of sessions.

I can't answer any questions about housing, but they just gave info for continuing students about housing like 5 or 6 weeks ago I believe. I heard there's a waitlist for the woodlands, but you guys have to consider that woodlands don't require their residents to renew their lease until the month before their lease ends. Most lease ends June 30 or July 31st. Oh yeah, try to get Phase II. If they give you a Phase I..... don't take it. It's nasty. I don't know if there will be a lot of Phase II apts opening, but I know a lot of students are moving out of PhaseI at Woodlands into the dorms. I put up a post about housing options in the RF AP program thread in the post bacc forum if you guys want more suggestions.

Finally!! someone who has some info.
I want to know what the 1st yr class schedule is like. Will it be 8-5?
What are some of the 1st semester classes besides anatomy ofcourse; how are the classes structured?
What are some of the things you wish you had known prior to starting.
I'm assuming you're a student there since you are an orientation advisor. Forgive me if I'm wrong in my assumption.
Also, I got an apt in the "dorms" and I've seen pictures on line but how nice is it really?
Any other info you can render will be appreciated.

Thank you for this information!

What about health insurance? Has anyone looked at the health plan yet? It seems expensive to me (especially since I have a sweet deal now).

Just got an e-mail today. It's official, the first day of orientation is July 27th and only 3 days. Lucky you as most of the sessions were boring with just a lot of talk/info we could have learned in 10 mins dragged out to an hour.

Health insurance..... If you have a nice packet, just submit proof you have it and they will not bill you for it. The prices were comparable to blue shield or $20 less a month for a similar package on an individual plan. The plan is Destiny Health, with 3 different plans. I might get the recommended plan as I noticed I don't get check ups on a regular basis if when I had to pay out of my pocket. That's bad coming from someone who wants to be a physician herself. :laugh: Right now I'm paying $42 a month from a cali health ppo plan that covers only catastrophic (ie hospitalization and emergencies with a hefty deductable) or until I reach out of pocket costs of $3K or so a year. Catastrophic insurance is all the school requires you to carry. They also have a great dental and vision package as well which I plan i purchasing.

About classes: RELAX enjoy your summer as school will start in 2 months! Ask questions during orientation. As far as books go, I can't speak for the M1's as I was an AP. I think you need the histo, ICM and netter for anatomy (don't buy it yet...... because AMSA can get you a sweet deal...... free if u join ama or something like that) As far as MCB, Physio and Embryo, the notes are really good, and I only used an old book as a reference.

Hey, If you go to schools website (main page) scroll down to the bottom and click on students...you can then find a link to last years class schedule to get an idea about what to expect....anyway,,enjoy your summer, see you soon..CMS 2009!

ThirstyLlama said:
Hey, If you go to schools website (main page) scroll down to the bottom and click on students...you can then find a link to last years class schedule to get an idea about what to expect....anyway,,enjoy your summer, see you soon..CMS 2009!

Thank you for pointing that out. I have been looking for that type of info for the longest and couldn't find it.
Just wanted an idea of what the schedule was like.
Thanks!! See you in July!

Orchid 209 said:
Just got an e-mail today. It's official, the first day of orientation is July 27th and only 3 days. Lucky you as most of the sessions were boring with just a lot of talk/info we could have learned in 10 mins dragged out to an hour.

Health insurance..... If you have a nice packet, just submit proof you have it and they will not bill you for it. The prices were comparable to blue shield or $20 less a month for a similar package on an individual plan. The plan is Destiny Health, with 3 different plans. I might get the recommended plan as I noticed I don't get check ups on a regular basis if when I had to pay out of my pocket. That's bad coming from someone who wants to be a physician herself. :laugh: Right now I'm paying $42 a month from a cali health ppo plan that covers only catastrophic (ie hospitalization and emergencies with a hefty deductable) or until I reach out of pocket costs of $3K or so a year. Catastrophic insurance is all the school requires you to carry. They also have a great dental and vision package as well which I plan i purchasing.

About classes: RELAX enjoy your summer as school will start in 2 months! Ask questions during orientation. As far as books go, I can't speak for the M1's as I was an AP. I think you need the histo, ICM and netter for anatomy (don't buy it yet...... because AMSA can get you a sweet deal...... free if u join ama or something like that) As far as MCB, Physio and Embryo, the notes are really good, and I only used an old book as a reference.

Thnks for all the info! I was just wondering if you knew what was going on with the probation status. I loved the school when I visitied but I am just a little afraid of what will happen is they lose accreditation. Also, what us better in terms of housing, the university apartments or woodlands for a single bedroom? I got offered a single bedroom on campus but I don't know which ones are nicer. I have seen the woodland apartments and they are really nice but how are the university apartments? Thank you so much for the updates :)

For those interested, I went to basically all the different apartment communities around the school and decided on Northern Crossing in Waukegan. Its only about a 5-8 minute drive. They had the best and newest looking interiors. Its a gated community as well. I thought about the woodlands and the dorms, but decided that for about the same amount of money I'd rather have something nicer. Plus I think the little distance will be beneficial for my study habits. I'm sure people might have not gotten the same impressions from the other apartments, but this is just from what I saw. I went to woodlands, but they wanted me to sign on an apartment but did not have anything to show me besides the little pamphlet. That irked me. So anyway, if anyone has any specific questions about the other off campus places, PM me. Oh and thanks the Orchid for the updates on orientation.

Go with the dorms! It's about the same amount of money. The 1 BR's in Phase II are around 970 a month I think. The same as the dorm. The dorm's rent includes gas, cable and internet service. Only live in Woodlands if you get Phase II and a two bedroom/two bath apt so u can save money. In woodlands, they may give you Phase I, which is totally not worth it compared to the dorms.

Probation status, honestly? I don't think anybody here is worried about it. I'm not. Haven't heard anybody mention it since orientation of 2004.

DoctorMalki said:
Thnks for all the info! I was just wondering if you knew what was going on with the probation status. I loved the school when I visitied but I am just a little afraid of what will happen is they lose accreditation. Also, what us better in terms of housing, the university apartments or woodlands for a single bedroom? I got offered a single bedroom on campus but I don't know which ones are nicer. I have seen the woodland apartments and they are really nice but how are the university apartments? Thank you so much for the updates :)

hey did anyone get an email from ros franklin? I think I received something and I accidently deleted it before I read it/ I am nto even sure what it was about , but just wanted to see if someone got an email yesterday as well. Maybe about orientation?

I haven't gotten anything yet after the initial acceptance email. But if they do send something out I'll let you know! =)

DoctorMalki said:
hey did anyone get an email from ros franklin? I think I received something and I accidently deleted it before I read it/ I am nto even sure what it was about , but just wanted to see if someone got an email yesterday as well. Maybe about orientation?
I only received an email from their Alumni office, mentioning about the BBQ party. I am not sure if this is the email you received. If you want the email, PM me, and I can forward the email to you.

DoctorMalki said:

I was in N.Chicago a few days early for my interview, and spent time doing the tourist thing. I also drove around campus, and someone was moving out of the dorms... being the overly social person I am, I walked up, introduced myself, and basically peppered them with questions. I talked to someone walking by (who had just finished being an MS-1... yay for him!) and also the family of the person moving out.

They offered to let me into the dorms to look around, so I jumped at the opportunity. I looked at a 1-bedroom dorm (which was SOOOOO *not* a "dorm" as I recalled from living in them at Cal Poly). The entrance-way opened directly into a living room, with a very small kitchen (kitchenette?) to the immediate left of the doorway. The bedroom opened off of the livingroom, and included a small bathroom. The dorms were new, had nice high cielings, and I was suitably impressed.

Unfortunately, I'm both sure that the dorms are full, and equally sure that I'd miss my cat... so (if i get in... supposed to hear tomorrow???) it's apartments for me. Woodland looked nice, but pets are only allowed in Phase II. I actually liked Forest Pointe, and they have a deal going... high 800's for a 1 bedroom (a decrease of 100 a month). They're 7 minutes to RFUMS (which i didn't believe, but checked... they were right! :D ). I didn't look at any other apartment complexes.

What I liked about Forest Pointe was that due to proximity to Abbot, they have a high percentage of professional tennants, and the place was a freakin ghost town during business hours on a week day... meaning the occupants were out working. They don't accept section 8, which was good too.

This question is for anybody who wishes to answer...I know it's probably highly variable...but how long after your interview did you hear back from RFU about acceptance? Did you get an email or a letter in the mail?

rdbennett said:
This question is for anybody who wishes to answer...I know it's probably highly variable...but how long after your interview did you hear back from RFU about acceptance? Did you get an email or a letter in the mail?

I actually had to wait a couple of months before I heard back. I interviewed in November and was accepted in february/March. They notify you by snail mail but if you call and ask them they will let you know when your application will be looked at by the committee and when you should expect to hear back. Good Luck !! :luck: :luck:

DoctorMalki said:
I actually had to wait a couple of months before I heard back. I interviewed in November and was accepted in february/March. They notify you by snail mail but if you call and ask them they will let you know when your application will be looked at by the committee and when you should expect to hear back. Good Luck !! :luck: :luck:

I am going to medical school...it feels so darn good to type those words. I will see you all soon. I am from Atlanta, and very much looking forward to moving to Chi-Town. See you soon!!!

Tkehinde said:
I feel like we should have rec'd something from RF by now regarding when school starts, what orientation entails, how long its for, what time to report, when and where to report...
I know we still have 2 months but if anyone's like me, I will be out of the country for the next month an a half and kinda wanted to have everything set before i leave.
My family has also been bugging me about this white coat ceremony thing and I don't even know when it is.
They will be flying cross country to see the thing. Any ideas? :confused:

I feel you on that...I have been checking the website daily with no updates. Glad to hear orientation starts 7/27, but it would be nice to get some official correspondence from RFU...but hey, I'm in so I will sit tight for a little while longer.

CRY2STAL said:
I feel you on that...I have been checking the website daily with no updates. Glad to hear orientation starts 7/27, but it would be nice to get some official correspondence from RFU...but hey, I'm in so I will sit tight for a little while longer.

just a suggestion. If you have since moved out of your local/mailing address listed on AMCAS, I highly recommend that you give the school an update. I know of one person who didn't get info about the white coat ceremony until a month after school started because she didn't give them an update. Hopefully that helps! In the meantime, get your immunization records taken cared of!

Orchid 209 said:
just a suggestion. If you have since moved out of your local/mailing address listed on AMCAS, I highly recommend that you give the school an update. I know of one person who didn't get info about the white coat ceremony until a month after school started because she didn't give them an update. Hopefully that helps! In the meantime, get your immunization records taken cared of!

oh ya !! The immunization stuff. Thanks for remind me :D I totally forgot about that. Crap... I hope I don't have to get any more shots :p

DoctorMalki said:
oh ya !! The immunization stuff. Thanks for remind me :D I totally forgot about that. Crap... I hope I don't have to get any more shots :p

I have to get a tetanus shot :scared: Have you seen the size of that needle????

because i was hoping to get into another school, i have no yet completed my fafsa or found a place to live (i am on the waitlists at both the dorms and the woodlands). i am starting to realize that i am probably going to end up in north chicago after all, and i am getting stressed about making all of these arrangements. anyone in the same boat?

lumaya said:
Anyone looking for a roommate? I'll be going there in fall as a member of the AP program...Hurrah! I think i'm living at the woodlands but I gotta check it out in a week. I'm F/NS PM for more info![/QUOTE
Hi lumaya,
It's actually my first post here and I was wondering if you could answer my question. I applied to CMS for this year but when I called they said that adcom transferred my ap from CMS to AP/Master's program. I am planning to contact them soon, but I was hoping that you could enlighten me about this program. What it's all about? :confused:
Thanks

KatKlink said:
because i was hoping to get into another school, i have no yet completed my fafsa or found a place to live (i am on the waitlists at both the dorms and the woodlands). i am starting to realize that i am probably going to end up in north chicago after all, and i am getting stressed about making all of these arrangements. anyone in the same boat?

Hi Katklink. I'm holding out til the end of June. I haven't been posting much on this thread since I am hoping for another spot. Don't wanna rain on someone else's parade, ya know. But if I end up at Ros Franklin, I'll still be happy! :)

Hi guys/gals,

Just finished my first year at Rosalind Franklin/CMS and will be an M2 next year.

With regards to some Q's:

1) In my opinion and that of many others, the dorms are 'nicer' than the woodlands. I prefer living there, you get your own bathroom (even if you share the apartment with a roomate) and the buildings are very new and well designed. Here's a helpful hint: if you can try to get buildings 101 or 201 because they are abit closer to the main buildings (building 301 is just behind these 2). Price wise the dorms/woodlands are pretty equal when you factor EVERYTHING in (gas, heat, a/c etc...)

2) For those of you still deciding between schools, I was in the same boat last year between 2 schools. I chose CMS because of its amazing facilities (anatomy lab), financial aid and staff support, looking back I am VERY glad I made this decision. I honestly feel that I'm getting an amazing education at CMS and feel that this is a top notch medical school. Yes, it is pricey, as most private med schools in the US, but I really feel that the money is worth while the education.

3) As for those taking Anatomy over the summer, VERY SMART, our first year last year was very front loaded, and I wished I could have gotten Anatomy completed in the summer. HOWEVER, I do feel that Anatomy is better learned over a long time period, it is a very intense course (in terms of lots of memorization).

4) North Chicago is a nice peaceful area, you won't be distracted while studying. I also find the campus very safe. You do need a car though to get to the grocery store and back, so if you don't have one get to know people that do!

5) and yes, don't forget about the immunizations, get those out of the way as soon as possible

6) finally..... as for textbooks, I STRONGLY recommend that you wait until your classes begin to buy books. I know every year there is an M1/M2 book sale at the beginning of the year as well. I bought many books last summer than I didn't need, however some did come in useful (ie: Anatomy atlases!). SO WAIT until classes begin to really see if you need books.

OK if anyone has any questions feel free to ask :)

Anyone know about laptop requirements at RFUMS??? I just purchased an iBook and am worried the school is not mac friendly...

Orchid 209 said:

Thanks Orchid...no AMCAS update necessary in my case though! Thanks for the reminder about immunizaitons. I have to take care of Hep B (but I don't think I will finish the series b4 school starts) and tetanus! I will get on that this week. Again thanks!

lumaya said:
Anyone know about laptop requirements at RFUMS??? I just purchased an iBook and am worried the school is not mac friendly...

Hey, although laptops are recommended, I don't find them necessary. There are also alot of people that don't even have computers... the school has these in the library and you can use them 24hrs/7days.

Does the waitlist usually get much movement? I'm told there are still a few people with multiple acceptances but they have filled some spots with their AP people.

Arb said:
Does the waitlist usually get much movement? I'm told there are still a few people with multiple acceptances but they have filled some spots with their AP people.
hey arb! I am also in the same limbo. Do you know how many people are still in this pool. I was told that they were going to accept some students during the last adcom meeting but they only accepted people from their AP program and now there are no seats left period. Let me know if you find out more. I doubt they are going to be accepting more people.
God bless.
kid.

Hey i heard at least 5 former AP's that are going to decline their acceptances and go to another med school, so that may potentially open some spots. Declaration of intents should be all in by next week, so may be you guys will hear some news. I'm pretty sure there are always a ton of people accepted at CMS and waiting to get off of a waitlist elsewhere. The only bad thing is our start date is so early (orientation July 27th!) so u know.....

Good luck, hope you hear something in the next couple of weeks.

kidgorgeous said:
hey arb! I am also in the same limbo. Do you know how many people are still in this pool. I was told that they were going to accept some students during the last adcom meeting but they only accepted people from their AP program and now there are no seats left period. Let me know if you find out more. I doubt they are going to be accepting more people.
God bless.
kid.

i am dropping my acceptance guys. good luck!!!

Yeah congrats! :)

I will be giving up my spot next week also. Good Luck everyone ! :luck:

Katklink and DoctorMalki, where are ya'll going? Good luck!! :D