whos applying for 2013 critical care medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tartesos

Medalaganario
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
there only 32 programs and only 22 on ERAS.
Im interested in the 1 year track( after ID fellowship).
any suggestions greatly apreciated.
any one besides me? no other suckers for punishment?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
have applied for 1 yr cc fellowship, LORs still not uploaded to postoffice, many programs have downloaded the application, how it will affect?
any one got interview call yet?

I am applying as well. Done with 2 yr pulmonary. I applied to the 10 programs not in ERAS 6 months ago, interviewed at 5, and got 2 offers. None of them are big university programs, though. Not sure if I should apply to ERAS to look for bigger fish?? Any comments??

Last edited:
I'm applying for surgical Icu only

I am applying as well. Done with 2 yr pulmonary. I applied to the 10 programs not in ERAS 6 months ago, interviewed at 5, and got 2 offers. None of them are big university programs, though. Not sure if I should apply to ERAS to look for bigger fish?? Any comments??
How long are they going to hold those 2 offers for you ?

Usually a few weeks. I already told one that I can't join their program.

The fact that you did pulmonary gives you an advantage in eras, but i dont know how much are you willing to risk not getting anything vs greener pastures... on the other hand its not like youll starve to death if you wait another year... but i would take what is given to me...

I did not apply but to one of the off ERAS programs... maybe its too late already.

Darthmouth is full for next year as well FYI guys.

Why do you care?

have applied for 1 yr cc fellowship, LORs still not uploaded to postoffice, many programs have downloaded the application, how it will affect?
any one got interview call yet?

It wont matter much as long as they are in eras pending scan only( check if they received it and make sure you finalize them, or they wont upload them).
They are just downloading but they are not used to this new cycle, im guessing they will get busy around aug- sept.
This sucks btw. i feel like this anxiety will never end... im sure ill think of something else to do afterwards...

Members don't see this ad :)
Finding fellowship programs is proving to be harder than I thought. And coming from EM, many places seem unwilling to start jumping at EM docs.

there are some out there, dont give up and email everybody, if no response in a few days, call them.
you`ve gotten so far, to give up now!

any news on hennepin? they gave the choice to apply through ERAS, thats messed up, give me my 15 $ back! lol

Oh! I'll have to ask. No one got back to me, so I decided not to bug them. But if they opened to ERAS then I'm sure they're taking apps and not already full up this year.

exactly!!
Finish, pass your boards, whats the difference?

Well, at least the programs that I interviewed at don't have transplant and ECMO. Also not being at a university program would place you at a disadvantage if you are looking for an academic career. If you really want to be in private practice, sure, it doesn't matter. And that the question I am grappling with. Do I want academic setting bad enough to take that risk? Not sure!

BTW has anyone heard from Mt Sinai, NY??

Well, at least the programs that I interviewed at don't have transplant and ECMO. Also not being at a university program would place you at a disadvantage if you are looking for an academic career. If you really want to be in private practice, sure, it doesn't matter. And that the question I am grappling with. Do I want academic setting bad enough to take that risk? Not sure!

BTW has anyone heard from Mt Sinai, NY??

Have not heard from them yet, but ive heard that unless you know somebody inside your chances are not good.
Even on a not so Academic program if you cater your training in that regard( research, publishing, etc) you can make it. trust me, theyll love to have you in an academic setting as it is not the most appealing of thing$.
Just dont go Apply to john hopkins or harvard right away, start low and work your way up, just like in sex... lol

you changed your pic man!! now how will i recognize you?!?! :0
lol.

im geting sick and tired of waiting, i know its still early, but WTH?!?

you changed your pic man!! now how will i recognize you?!?! :0
lol.

im geting sick and tired of waiting, i know its still early, but WTH?!?

I'm going to be playing a game of werewolf in the lounge . . .

Anyway, Hennepin is taking apps this year apparently. As I understand it they DO have internal candidates who they usually offer to, and they usually accept, but some are considering other programs.

That's all gossip.

anybody got invites for critical care interviews yet?? this is killing me. Should I apply more? or just be patient...

same here as well. No calls yet.
no calls yet.
there are 33 programs. 22 on ERAS.
one of them full that you can still apply for( baystate, as per email from PC).
I hope you applied to all of them!!
the bigger your chances...
lets keep praying and hoping.
no news from any of them yet. and i Hope no efing trolls appear now! :)

I'm going to be playing a game of werewolf in the lounge . . .

Anyway, Hennepin is taking apps this year apparently. As I understand it they DO have internal candidates who they usually offer to, and they usually accept, but some are considering other programs.

That's all gossip.
thanks man, Gossip is always helpful, and how all the big news gets around! :)

I'm an EM candidate applying to only CC programs (20/33). Only programs I have heard from for interviews are: Cleveland clinic and Mt Sinai.

Interview from University of Pittsburg

Interview from Mayo Clinic and Uni of Washington.

still haven't heard from any programs!! I guess some programs already sent the invite per mirshi's post (upmc, mayo and uwash). Any other programs? i'm starting to pull my hair now..

I am beginning to think that the 50 bronch rule for 1 or 2 y Ccm fellows( unless you have come from pulmonary ) is really screwing us this year.
And what a ridiculous rule that is!?!? Wtf will I be doing bronchs for?!? I have many pulmonary friends that need to eat too! :)
I'm pissed off already. Not even rejections yet and I thought I was a good candidate. :(

Interviews from Orlando and Upitt within the past week or so

Thanks. I'd like to do CTICU coverage as an attending, and there are 4 required CT ICU months at Michigan. Lots of ECMO, too. I'm excited!

Hi, I'm a 3rd year AMG doing IM at a University program. I have a strong interest in doing PCCM but I have no research except an ACP poster presentation. Step scores were average. My ultimate career goal would be to go into private or community practice (I don't have very much interest in academics). I am trying to decide whether I should apply this year or do a chief residency year then apply. Can anyone tell me how competitive PCCM is these days and what you think my chances are of matching into a program? Appreciate any feedback.

Hi, I'm a 3rd year AMG doing IM at a University program. I have a strong interest in doing PCCM but I have no research except an ACP poster presentation. Step scores were average. My ultimate career goal would be to go into private or community practice (I don't have very much interest in academics). I am trying to decide whether I should apply this year or do a chief residency year then apply. Can anyone tell me how competitive PCCM is these days and what you think my chances are of matching into a program? Appreciate any feedback.

You dont need the chief year, it's not cometitive, and your cv is fine to match

You should also try your question in the I'M forum - there is a subspecialty forum where you will find a thread for this years applicants.

Does anyone know whether the time table for applications have changed now that everyone is applying as third years rather than second years?

Last edited:
You dont need the chief year, it's not cometitive, and your cv is fine to match

You should also try your question in the I'M forum - there is a subspecialty forum where you will find a thread for this years applicants.

Thanks for the feedback jdh :)

Does anyone know whether the time table for applications have changed now that everyone is applying as third years rather than second years?

starting this year, applications begin july of the prior year of desired fellowship( IE july 2012 for july 2013 fellowships).
go o ERAS website and read up on the new time frames.

good luck!

Not getting rejections yet. Don't know if to worry or e glad.
I don't mind being second choice. Guys are always second choice to women!
:)