Who has the best looking??...( just for fun:) )

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You might very well be the only African-American pharmacist in the state of Texas too!

That would still be far from the truth. :p

I am not American. I am from an island in the Caribbean. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What island are you from Delano??? I'm from an island... even though it's in the US. lol My family is from the Bahamas and the Canary Islands in Spain though. I have a really good friend from Dominica too. He has a nice accent. Obviously I have a lot of friends from Cuba too, but that goes without saying since I lived in Miami for 4 years. Still kinda do. Haha

What island are you from Delano??? I'm from an island... even though it's in the US. lol My family is from the Bahamas and the Canary Islands in Spain though. I have a really good friend from Dominica too. He has a nice accent. Obviously I have a lot of friends from Cuba too, but that goes without saying since I lived in Miami for 4 years. Still kinda do. Haha

That is really cool. I am from Jamaica. Are you from the Bahamas as well or is it just your family? My accent is not as strong anymore but if you listen closely you can hear it lol.

Nooo I WISH I lived in the Bahamas lol. I grew up in the Florida Keys, but some of my family is from the Abacos, Bahamas... Then they moved to the Keys before I was born. Jamaica sounds cool as hell... I'd like to go there one day but I'm too broke now. Lol

Adriana Lima is my favorite too. I'm obsessed. Lol. I probably look like a lesbian because I had her pictures all over my myspce

Adriana Lima is my favorite too. I'm obsessed. Lol. I probably look like a lesbian because I had her pictures all over my myspce

LOL...same here. LOVE HER! The hottest woman on earth with the HOTTEST career and I am straight I swear! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nooo I WISH I lived in the Bahamas lol. I grew up in the Florida Keys, but some of my family is from the Abacos, Bahamas... Then they moved to the Keys before I was born. Jamaica sounds cool as hell... I'd like to go there one day but I'm too broke now. Lol

If you buy the ticket months in advance you can actually get good prices. I want to go home next summer but I doubt that will be possible.

That's true... Plus I'd be flying from Miami Int. so it's probably cheaper... I def wouldn't be able to go until next summer either because I work 5 days a week and its a different scehdule every week. Lol. One of the girls I work with just left to Jamaica for like 10 days but she's been there for over a year so she gets to take time off like that. Haha

Is real Jamaican food anything like the Jamaican food in the states?

I love Cuban Empanadas, which are just seasoned ground beef with onions, garlic, pepper, etc, and then wrapped in a crispy pouch and deep fried. OMG so good. I've had them at Jamaican places too though. It seems like a lot of the stuff is similar to Cuban food, which kinda makes sense because their islands. Jerk chicken in the shttt and I love fried plantains too. My parents have a tree in their yard. haha They're so funny.

We have this thing in Key West called Goombay, and all the Bahamian and island restaurants set up stands on the street and they have pina coladas inside of real coconuts, arepas, beef kabobs, seafood, conch cowder, ceviche, conch fritters, anything you can imagine. It's crazy.

So is that sort of the same kind of food you guys get down there or is that just the fake American stuff? lol

Is real Jamaican food anything like the Jamaican food in the states?

I love Cuban Empanadas, which are just seasoned ground beef with onions, garlic, pepper, etc, and then wrapped in a crispy pouch and deep fried. OMG so good. I've had them at Jamaican places too though. It seems like a lot of the stuff is similar to Cuban food, which kinda makes sense because their islands. Jerk chicken in the shttt and I love fried plantains too. My parents have a tree in their yard. haha They're so funny.

We have this thing in Key West called Goombay, and all the Bahamian and island restaurants set up stands on the street and they have pina coladas inside of real coconuts, arepas, beef kabobs, seafood, conch cowder, ceviche, conch fritters, anything you can imagine. It's crazy.

So is that sort of the same kind of food you guys get down there or is that just the fake American stuff? lol

There is honestly no authentic Jamaican food sold here in the US, whether it be produce or cooked . The fruits here lack real taste (in regards to sweetness) compared to Jamaica, beef patties here are nothing like back home, our yams (different from what Americans call yams) are so good whether roasted or boiled. I miss ackee and saltfish, callaloo (equivalent of collard greens) goes best with fried dumplings or cooked dumplings and boiled bananas (the green ones by the way). Oh, and you are right Jerk chicken is da ***t. Curried and brown stewed chicken as well. Even the soup from back home is the ***t. Just thinking about it is making me hungry lol. I can go on and on, trust me.

I want to go! My friend at Nova Dental school said that the entire health professions division does medical trips to Jamaica and other Caribbean nations. They provide information and supplies to under served neighborhoods. She went last year and said it was amazing. My dream is to eventually become financially stable enough to live part time in the Caribbean and provide free or low cost services to the more rural areas that don't get enough medical or pharmacy care (I still have to do more research on what role pharmacists are needed for there, but that is obviously many years in the future).

I'd probably go during hurricane season or some part of the year that they need it the most. My guess its that not many American doctors are willing to stay during this time of year, but I've already been flooded out of my house twice by two really devastating hurricanes in the Keys so I'd probably be able to handle it. lol

...our yams (different from what Americans call yams) are so good whether roasted or boiled...
Amen! Are you talking of what we in Africa also call yams? Grow in the ground, really brown thick skin, white (or yellow) on the inside, like a really, REALLY big potato, and of the genus Dioscorea?

Jujeh Kabab:

ChickenKabab_290x210.20090821212352.jpg

It's a chicken kabab almost always served w/ grilled / fire roasted tomatos and saffron rice. More Persian than Arabic but since Iraq lacks a "national food" we got a lot of Iranian stuff. Totally yummmmy.

Naan is this delicious oven-fired bread which comes in a variety of flavors, like spinach and asiago cheese. The best (only) good part about the M.E.

I want to go! My friend at Nova Dental school said that the entire health professions division does medical trips to Jamaica and other Caribbean nations. They provide information and supplies to under served neighborhoods. She went last year and said it was amazing. My dream is to eventually become financially stable enough to live part time in the Caribbean and provide free or low cost services to the more rural areas that don't get enough medical or pharmacy care (I still have to do more research on what role pharmacists are needed for there, but that is obviously many years in the future).

I'd probably go during hurricane season or some part of the year that they need it the most. My guess its that not many American doctors are willing to stay during this time of year, but I've already been flooded out of my house twice by two really devastating hurricanes in the Keys so I'd probably be able to handle it. lol

Hell I want to go too.:(

That is a really good thing you would be doing. I was there during Hurricane Ivan (even though we did not get a direct hit) and it was horrendous.

Jujeh Kabab:

ChickenKabab_290x210.20090821212352.jpg

It's a chicken kabab almost always served w/ grilled / fire roasted tomatos and saffron rice. More Persian than Arabic but since Iraq lacks a "national food" we got a lot of Iranian stuff. Totally yummmmy.

Naan is this delicious oven-fired bread which comes in a variety of flavors, like spinach and asiago cheese. The best (only) good part about the M.E.

Lol. I think I might pass.:p
I am picky with food.

Yeah hurricanes are no joke if they're bad. I think a lot of people don't realize that it's not really the hurricane itself (wind, trees falling, etc) that affects people the most, it's the weeks and months and years after. The standing water and debris creates some nasty stuff like staph infections, MRSA, mosquito infestations, etc. If you can't get good medical care then it makes it that much harder to rebuild and get everything back in order.

Ever since Katrina and Wilma hit in 2005 the Keys have had a really bad problem with staph in the water. I know divers who have had it 9 times, in places like their arm pit and their face where the diving mask rubs. The hospital can't seem to get rid of it, and people have started to get MRSA because of it. I know a girl's dad who had his leg amputated because of MRSA. :eek:

Yeah hurricanes are no joke if they're bad. I think a lot of people don't realize that it's not really the hurricane itself (wind, trees falling, etc) that affects people the most, it's the weeks and months and years after. The standing water and debris creates some nasty stuff like staph infections, MRSA, mosquito infestations, etc. If you can't get good medical care then it makes it that much harder to rebuild and get everything back in order.

Ever since Katrina and Wilma hit in 2005 the Keys have had a really bad problem with staph in the water. I know divers who have had it 9 times, in places like their arm pit and their face where the diving mask rubs. The hospital can't seem to get rid of it, and people have started to get MRSA because of it. I know a girl's dad who had his leg amputated because of MRSA. :eek:

Yea it's equivalent to aftershocks from an earthquake. I remember after Gilbert in 1988 we never really recovered until about 2000. So for 12 years there were still issues related directly or indirectly to the hurricane.