Who can pinpoint the reason(s) they didn't get in the first time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The MCAT was my downfall.

Members don't see this ad.

My application was great also, but it was my interview-I was so nervous! Boy did I screw that up. On top of that it was at the end of March.

So, 1. apply early and 2. interview well!

Ditto. Don't blow the interview. Fortunately, I get my second shot on Thursday! :D Here's to not f-ing up the second time around.

MCAT and applied very late. Two mistakes I will fix next year.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 30MCAT, 3.9GPA, a lot of EC's including TA, Chairman of the Student Advisory Board, clinical and research experience, etc. I submitted most of my secondaries in August, some in September and some in October, though not many in October. I applied to about 15 schools with average MCAT of 30,within my stat's. Yet, I dont' have many interview invitees, just 2. I cannot figure out what is wrong with my application. I just have an average PS. I don't have any life changing activity that makes my PS interesting like reading those PS written and posted on the web. I talked about how different activities motivated me to pursue this profession.

What are my weaknesses that I can improve for the next year cycle? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My MCAT is average and assume that I don't want to retake the test.

DoORDoom - If you're getting interviews, then it sounds like you're making all the right moves. Maybe your trouble lies in the interview itself. I had the same problem (I exaggerate, but see below).
...Problem two: 'Poor' interview skills. To clarify, a rational discussion of how you decided to become a doc is not what ADCOMs want to hear. They want you to jump around like a crazy person, because that makes you a better doc. Yeah.

Rx, I think I am ok in an interview, although I cannot claim that I am great. I need more interview invitees to maximize my chance of being accepted. I cannot figure out why I did not get many interview invitees like other candidates of similiar stat's.

Rx, I think I am ok in an interview, although I cannot claim that I am great. I need more interview invitees to maximize my chance of being accepted. I cannot figure out why I did not get many interview invitees like other candidates of similiar stat's.
There's a lot of guesswork/voodoo in applications, and who knows - they may have simply not liked your picture! :laugh:

Have you tried taping yourself while you go through a practice interview? That's what I did, and while painful, it exposed a lot of my flaws - what I do when I'm anxious, annoying tics, that sort of thing. I only suggest this because at this point, since you've already submitted all of your paperwork, that's the only thing you can change and get better at.

Thanks, Rx. You are right. Therre isn't much I can do now. My pictutre is not bad. If anything, I don't have an exciting PS, but I don't have anything exciting to spice it up.

While waiting for more interview invites, I am also planning on the possibility that I have to reapply and what I can do to improve for the next cycle. It is frustrated when one does not know what to do to improve.

Put in grades wrong....aamc reviewed and denied...I decided it was too late to change, wait another 4-6 weeks and meet deadlines... So I wait another year. At least my school tells me they will write a letter explaining that since everything else is good. In the meantime, I make 42K with benefits.:laugh:

1. low undergrad GPA (less than a 3.0 -yikes!)
2. applied late, finished secondaries in November/December
3. decnt MCAT (32R with a 13-15 verbal - this was probably the reason I got most of my interviews the first time around)

nevertheless, i was waitlisted at five schools in my first application round. and the second time i applied, i was early, with much better current grades. if you think the grades are the problem, you truly MUST get some strong current grades especially in Cell & Molecular bio, neuroscience, i.e some difficult advanced course (re-do biochemistry if you bombed it because this is a key course in your first semester of med school - it will help! :)

Put in grades wrong....aamc reviewed and denied...I decided it was too late to change, wait another 4-6 weeks and meet deadlines... So I wait another year. At least my school tells me they will write a letter explaining that since everything else is good. In the meantime, I make 42K with benefits.:laugh:

42K? wow that's impressive. May I ask what is your current job and do you have any certificate of any kind or just have BS in the Biological Sciences?

Kevin

42K? wow that's impressive. May I ask what is your current job and do you have any certificate of any kind or just have BS in the Biological Sciences?

Kevin

Graduated with a degree in Econ and a minor in Entrepreneurship and Business Management. I'm working at a law firm as a paralegal and making 38K. I've been told that amount rises with overtime and bonus when it comes, plus the benefits (health insurance...blah, blah, blah). 42K before taxes though is the average I was quoted when I accepted the job, and from what I'm making, it doesn't seem impossible for me to reach that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only thing I did different this year was apply in June instead of July and now I have an acceptance at a great school. Since I applied so early I ended up with a handful of interview invites in Sept instead of Jan and Feb, which I guess gave me much more of an advantage. I also applied more broadly this year but I'm ruling that out because all the schools I added that had averages below mines have not shown any love at all.

I applied late (late July/early August)
I had a low GPA (3.1 cum, ~3.2 science)
My pre-med committee recommendation was bad (it said "recommends with reservations")

I was rejected to every school but 1, where I interviewed and was wait-listed, but was not taken off the wait list.

1.) I applied late.
2.) My personal statement sucked.
3.) I applied to too few schools.
4.) I didn't sell myself well enough in my primary/secondaries.

:luck: to all the re-apps out there.

I think there are two major reasons I didn't get in last year:

1. I did not have all of my prerequesite courses completed. (I was in the process of taking cell bio, microbio, and ochem1 at the time, with ochem2 and biochem to follow the next semester)

2. MCAT. I had a 27S. (10V,10BS,7PS)

----

Other possible factors why I didn't get in (or even an interview)

-I was a big-time athlete in college, focused on my sport and not much else (have some research and some volunteer work, but nothing medical)

-I am a graduate school dropout. I was in a PhD program (psychology), and even though I was doing well (#1 in my class, 4.0 gpa), my heart wasn't into it. I'm sure dropping out looks unfavorable.

-I had a one really rough year of undergrad, pulled some C's in science courses. However, I would hope that committees would see that as a fluke compared with the rest of my academic record...?!

---
This year, I am reapplying (18 schools, I am totally broke!) This is what's changed.

New MCAT scores: 34R (11PS,11VR,12BS)

Prereq's completed: All A's

Obviously I cannot change the past, so the bad academic year is still going to hurt me, and I'm not so sure about my extracurriculars, either. I am currently volunteering at a local hospital, but just finally was able to start in May, so I'm worrying that adcoms will look at that and say that I just did it so I could put "hospital volunteer" on my application (they would not be totally incorrect--but then again, why do most premeds volunteer at a hospital? I guarantee there are ulterior motives besides a genuine passion for patient care...sorry for the cynicism).
----

So, what do ya'all think? Are my chances of getting in--heck, even getting an interview--are better this year? I am 25 y.o., white female from Wisconsin. GPA is about a 3.6/3.3(science) undergrad, with 4.0/4.0 grad school, and 4.0 science postbacs.

Hey TeaKae,

Wow, your story looks a lot like mine (numbers wise anyway). Key differences: I wasn't an athlete, nor did I attend grad school. Also, your second MCAT is better than mine yo. I'm impressed with your points jump. ;)

My first MCAT was similar, and I hadn't completed the prereqs when I applied the first time. My overall GPA was also low (~3.5), and I raised it to about 3.6 for my second application cycle.

My (hopefully) useful advice:

I think that depending on your list of schools, you're chances should increase greatly. Try applying to some new schools. (I ended up getting into a school I hadn't applied to before; maybe they look at you with more interest?).

Also, make sure you get everything in as soon as you can. The more time your application sits in the admission committee pile, the more likely you'll get an interview. First time I applied, I finished everything very close to the deadline. Second time, I got everything in around July or August. (Pain in the butt but well-worth it.)

That's my (rather long) two cents. I hope this is encouraging/helpful.

For me, my Gpa was excellent, Mcat good, EC fair. My downfall was applying only to one school. I live pretty close to my undergrad which also has a med program. I thought, hey I've got a 3.9, higher mcat than most applying here, decent clinical exp, some research, I'll be a shoe in. Guess again. I was wait-listed for over 8 months; in fact they never even called me to inform me that I was rejected. I found out I was rejected by realizing I was on vacation during what should have been my white coat ceremony. Nice way to celebrate graduation.
Anyway, apply to as many schools as possible, get a good mcat (30+), gpa (3.5+) and have tons of clinical exp, volunteer activities, etc. and you should have no problem.

First time around I had the arrogance to think I was qualified enough to work on dogs and cats. Boy was I wrong. Once I switched to humans it was smooth sailing:D.

I've found that the key to any application cycle to get it done EARLY!

Just to clarify....EARLY!!!!!!!!

This gives you the best chance as being accepted, beside your grades, MCAT, ECs etc. etc.

Two things: 1) Sciences GPA, 2) Overall GPA.

Going to take care of those two, particularly the first, with a full year of post-bac coursework.

I applied late (late July/early August)
I had a low GPA (3.1 cum, ~3.2 science)
My pre-med committee recommendation was bad (it said "recommends with reservations")

I was rejected to every school but 1, where I interviewed and was wait-listed, but was not taken off the wait list.

Are you "bypassing" the committee letter this time around? I used to think that all adcoms preferred committee letters, but some mentors on SDN have directly stated they don't even like them...

Are you "bypassing" the committee letter this time around? I used to think that all adcoms preferred committee letters, but some mentors on SDN have directly stated they don't even like them...
I will say that, while pre-med committees may make things easier (show you the application process ropes) you do not need them. Many applicants "go bare" and succeed.

I will say that, while pre-med committees may make things easier (show you the application process ropes) you do not need them. Many applicants "go bare" and succeed.

The one argument for these committee letters, that adcoms know which schools have them and they depend on them and also they are "suspicious" when someone bypasses them, etc., sounds like so much BS to me now...if it were me and I knew my pre-med committee had screwed me, I would not go through them a second time...and I think that anyone who has doubts about their pre-med committee should as you say "go bare" and skip them, sign up for Interfolio and never look back...

The one argument for these committee letters, that adcoms know which schools have them and they depend on them and also they are "suspicious" when someone bypasses them, etc., sounds like so much BS to me now...if it were me and I knew my pre-med committee had screwed me, I would not go through them a second time...and I think that anyone who has doubts about their pre-med committee should as you say "go bare" and skip them, sign up for Interfolio and never look back...

I'd been wondering about this myself, because my undergrad (a large state school) doesn't even have a pre-med committee...considering the number of applicants that would come from there, if there was some kind of disadvantage to 'going it alone', there would be literally thousands of very pissed-off premeds (I actually assume the size of the school is probably the reason why they don't have a committee, it would be an administrative nightmare)

so, I doubt adcoms can keep track of which schools have committees or don't, or particularly care; better to keep the ball in your court

i've got a 3.94 overall and 35Q, average EC's, and had 3 interviews-so i was on the right track...

i think my biggest problem was "level" of school i had my sights on-most were mid/top tier (I hate writing with "tiers"....)

along with that, there weren't enough of them (I applied to 11 total and only finished 6 of 10 secondaries offered) and some were in december (3 of the 11)

more schools = more money.... but more money by way of more schools is also yields greater odds...

on a side note, since i can't remember the words she used specifically take this with some caution.... i spoke with my undergrad U's med school admissions director specifically about my application and she mentioned the work/experiences and personal statement being very business-like. while appropriate, she said it was too much events and not enough personal meaning; ie. Job application vs. personal portrait...
I dunno-i'm inclined to listen because where did the last approach get me?

i've got a 3.94 overall and 35Q, average EC's, and had 3 interviews-so i was on the right track...

i think my biggest problem was "level" of school i had my sights on-most were mid/top tier (I hate writing with "tiers"....)

along with that, there weren't enough of them (I applied to 11 total and only finished 6 of 10 secondaries offered) and some were in december (3 of the 11)

more schools = more money.... but more money by way of more schools is also yields greater odds...

on a side note, since i can't remember the words she used specifically take this with some caution.... i spoke with my undergrad U's med school admissions director specifically about my application and she mentioned the work/experiences and personal statement being very business-like. while appropriate, she said it was too much events and not enough personal meaning; ie. Job application vs. personal portrait...
I dunno-i'm inclined to listen because where did the last approach get me?

When were you complete with AMCAS? Sounds like your biggest problem is applying late...in addition to not applying broadly enough, not enough "irons in the fire," and a big screw up in not following through on all secondaries...

...along with that, there weren't enough of them (I applied to 11 total and only finished 6 of 10 secondaries offered) and some were in december (3 of the 11)...
You started off with too few applications and had too high of an attrition rate - you got interview offers on half of the applications you completed. In your place, I would have had 15 interview offers.

Spend the money, apply to a bunch of schools, and complete every application - even the secondaries.

Undergrad GPA = 3.4 (Oberlin), Bio major Worked for 2 years doing virology research.... Graduate GPA = 3.9 (University of Michigan School of Public Health), MPH, Epid. Last 3 years, Project Director at Weill Cornell Medical College doing HCV and HIV community based research in New York. MCAT = 27R (Bio: 10, Phy: 8, Verb: 9) I was waitlisted last year at SUNY Buffalo but I didn't make the cut. I think the main reason is my MCAT score, so I'm retaking on Sept. 8th.

Hey! I'm retaking the MCATs on Sept 8th too! I just began studying for it so I only have one month to prepare. Good luck!