Disastrous 1st Cycle (reasons detailed in post). Seeking advice for reapplication.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bababuoy

Reaction score
[Removed for privacy]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Which if any of those schools would you be re-applying for?

I will fully admit I skimmed through most of the wall of text above and scrolled down to the re-application — can you break out your clinical and non-clinical hours by activity so we can see what you're trying to count where?

Finally, do you have any shadowing? You need at least 50 hours at most schools, ideally with some of those being with a PCP.

This is just to get things going, will give more detailed advice upon further reading

Which if any of those schools would you be re-applying for?

I will fully admit I skimmed through most of the wall of text above and scrolled down to the re-application — can you break out your clinical and non-clinical hours by activity so we can see what you're trying to count where?

Finally, do you have any shadowing? You need at least 50 hours at most schools, ideally with some of those being with a PCP.

This is just to get things going, will give more detailed advice upon further reading
Thanks for your response. Looks like the post was an earlier version with the cutoff activities. Updated now.

The above is the list of schools (table) I'm planning to apply to this cycle. The schools that were removed from last year's list are as follows:
  1. JHU
  2. Mayo
  3. NYU
  4. UPenn
  5. UChicago
  6. UNC
  7. Cornell
Clinical:
- Clinical research assistant (undergraduate) (Fall 2019-Spring 2020; Spring 2021-Spring 2022). 300hrs
  • Enrolling in patients (pediatric) clinics 3d/week from 5a-2p. Much of the other 650hrs position were mostly data-related or administrative. Is that something that counts as research? Not currently accounted for.
- CRC (Current):
  • Enrolling patients (pediatric and adult) in hospital studies. In the hospital 5-6d/wk for at least half the day. 850hrs
  • Administrative/regulatory work after hospital shifts.
  • Where most if not all of my research comes from. Have co-author credits in a handful of "high impact" journals and forgot to mention 2 MMWR investigator lists. Was told to just put all my timecards for that number, but yeah...some minutes of those are the wordle. Sue me.
Community Service:
- Daycare volunteer 125hr
- Mennonite community material resources volunteer 175hrs
- Grocery delivery volunteer (independent) 95hrs
-
Tree planting volunteer in my current city 70hrs

Yes, I do have shadowing, albeit a long time ago (Summer 2016). I have 65 hours with a urologist, not a PCP unfortunately. Should I make an effort to shadow one until primaries are submitted and afterwards?

I don't have too much to say but if you're writing style in this post is similar to your writing style in your application I can see why you had issues. Please seek out an objective editor whose opinion you value for your next application. Is there a question buried in the wall of text? I didn't see one.

Status
Not open for further replies.