Who can hang a "GP" shingle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Red Beard

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Saw something about this in another thread, and its something I've been wondering about, so here goes:

Who can legally and functionally open a private practice and call themselves a "general practicioner?" Obviously FM and IM boarded folks, but anyone else? EM perhaps, given the overlap in training? General surgeons maybe by some stretch of the imagination?

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone with a medical degree and one to two years of residency, a license in the state they want to practice (which requires one to two years of residency).

That is it.

Many insurance companies are requiring board certification in order to get paneling on their plans. So it may make it harder to get patients.

Anyone with a medical degree and one to two years of residency, a license in the state they want to practice (which requires one to two years of residency).

That is it.

Many insurance companies are requiring board certification in order to get paneling on their plans. So it may make it harder to get patients.

Does that mean that anyone who is board certified in any specialty could legally open a "general practice" AND satisfy the requirements of most insurance companies for reimbursement for typical GP type office visits?

For example, can an EM physician go into practice in the full capacity of a GP without having to retrain in, say, FM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "GP" was an old term, now defunct, describing someone who only did an intern year, back when that was common.

I can't imagine any self-respecting FP who had done 3 years of residency calling themselves a "GP".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought "GP" was an old term, now defunct, describing someone who only did an intern year, back when that was common.

I can't imagine any self-respecting FP who had done 3 years of residency calling themselves a "GP".

I think that is partially his point. Obviously, the doc couldn't call themselves an FP, so what does that leave...GP is the only option. The general public still thinks GP exist and are often equated with FM docs, not true clearly, but public opinion none the less.

I think that is partially his point. Obviously, the doc couldn't call themselves an FP, so what does that leave...GP is the only option. The general public still thinks GP exist and are often equated with FM docs, not true clearly, but public opinion none the less.

Exactly. And actually, the term "GP" does still exist, as the doc I shadowed before starting school was a younger doc who advertised himself as "Dr. XYZ, General Practice." He was residency trained in IM, worked as a hospitalist, then decided he wanted to open a private practice in the same capacity as a family practitioner. And he's been successful at it.

I'm just wondering if folks trained in other fields can do the same thing.

Right, but if I was an EM boarded doctor who opened a clinic and was functioning in the same capacity as an FP, then what would I call myself?

GP also exists in Europe, but that's neither here nor there--well, maybe there.

Does that mean that anyone who is board certified in any specialty could legally open a "general practice" AND satisfy the requirements of most insurance companies for reimbursement for typical GP type office visits?

For example, can an EM physician go into practice in the full capacity of a GP without having to retrain in, say, FM?

That is correct. some insuracne companies want the physician to be in the specific specialty that they are board certified in. However, the majority will not ask for this.

You can call yourself whatever you want. There is not law that says you can't.

It is just terminology. If you are board certified in EM, you can say you Practice adult medicine or general medicine. Or you can say general and Urgent care medicine.

It is not that big of a deal.

Your medical license says "surgeon and Physician". Your scope of practice will be what you know you can do.