Navy Whidbey Island

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emceenicholas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone work at Whidbey Island presently or in the not-too-distant past? I'm interested in the overall impression of the area from someone who was stationed there. Also curious how many flight surgeons are stationed there at a given time.

Members don't see this ad.

Your opinion of the place is going to vary depending on if you are married or not or have kids or not.

As it is one of the largest concentrations of squadrons in the Navy it has a significant number of flight surgeons as well. Around half of them will be gone at any one time though due to deployments/work ups/etc

I'm requesting that folks share their opinions based on their own experiences, from their own perspectives.

I suspected there were a lot of flight surgeons based on the number of squadrons. What I'm interested in is hard numbers or best guesses.

Members don't see this ad :)
It fluctuates on how many there are: let's go with somewhere between 6 and 12.

A single person is going to have a vastly different experience than a married person with 5 kids. If you give some background on what you are bringing people can shape their response. If you are single people can talk about the Brown Lantern and flyers, if you're married with kids they can talk about the children's museum in Mt Vernon or camping trips with the family etc.

Thanks for the numbers.

My personal situation aside, I'm interested in anyone's perspective. You don't have to be single to be interested in checking out a good brewery any more than you need to be married to enjoy camping. It sounds like you may have personal experience in the area. Anything you'd like to share is much appreciated.

I do, but I'm not going to waste a bunch of time writing a detailed response of which half or more may not be applicable.

Sorry if that sounds selfish, but "ain't nobody got no time for that"

Fair enough. I'm single at the moment but this may change by the time I have the opportunity to apply for a FS billet, and museums, camping, and breweries all fall well within my scope of interest.

Trust any time you spend writing responses is appreciated and will not be wasted. Thanks.

aklark, did you just LMGTFY?? lol, thanks...

just for the record, i actually did google the area and took a peek at the spots that backrow was kind enough to point out. the area seems to be pretty relaxed but not too removed from the benefits of seattle. was that your opinion as well or did you feel more isolated?

aklark, did you just LMGTFY?? lol, thanks...

just for the record, i actually did google the area and took a peek at the spots that backrow was kind enough to point out. the area seems to be pretty relaxed but not too removed from the benefits of seattle. was that your opinion as well or did you feel more isolated?

"Benefits of Seattle" is an oxymoron unless you like hipsters and rain.

Washington trails association: wta.org

Also good resource: nwhikers.net

I'm not a military guy, but as a displaced Washingtonian I heartily recommend the state to any outdoorsy individual. And whidbey island is a nice location to reach either the mountains or the San Juan's on your days off.

Washington trails association: wta.org

Also good resource: nwhikers.net

I'm not a military guy, but as a displaced Washingtonian I heartily recommend the state to any outdoorsy individual. And whidbey island is a nice location to reach either the mountains or the San Juan's on your days off.

Appreciate the endorsement of the area.

I was stationed at Whidbey. FS tour. Out of the 2 years I was "there" I was there for 4 months. The rest was deployed. I snowboarded to my hearts content and kayaked. It is very very scenic place. Nice duty station IMHO. Hospital is very small and try to task you for stuff, but my command shielded me for most part. It 's a large navy town with lots of tourists as well. Quaint shops, quiet. No nightlife to speak of. Go to Seattle for that. Seattle about 2.5-3 hours away depending on traffic. I shared a place (rented) with one of the squadron's NFO's.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was stationed at Whidbey. FS tour. Out of the 2 years I was "there" I was there for 4 months. The rest was deployed. I snowboarded to my hearts content and kayaked. It is very very scenic place. Nice duty station IMHO. Hospital is very small and try to task you for stuff, but my command shielded me for most part. It 's a large navy town with lots of tourists as well. Quaint shops, quiet. No nightlife to speak of. Go to Seattle for that. Seattle about 2.5-3 hours away depending on traffic. I shared a place (rented) with one of the squadron's NFO's.

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Thanks very much.

I did really enjoy Whidbey. I was single at the time BTW. The Prowler was a great jet for FS. Plenty of seats to catch a ride. "self loading baggage" as I like to say hahaha. Prowlers are going away, so flight experience may change due to Growlers only having 2 seats? Easy access to San Juan islands which is great place to spot whales and Orcas

I was at Whidbey until last Friday. I was a staff pediatrician there until 4 days ago. The area is great. The hospital (really just a clinic and birthing center) is a dump, but you're clinical space is fine. You'll be shielded form the hospital leadership for the most part. It would be a fun place to live and work as long as you don't long for the night life.

The vast majority of people who have ever been stationed at Whidbey absolutely love it.

The very few who didn't are a vocal minority. Even more vocal are people who have decided they don't like it without having every been there, or having visited for a weekend or a week and had unluckily bad weather.

As with anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, the weather can be rotten in the winter/fall/spring but amazing in the summer/fall/spring.

Even in the winter it won't freeze much on the island, but will on the mainland a little more. Typically we are talking 2 days of snow all year and maybe 2 weeks total of freezing or below weather, ususually less.

Snowboarding, skiing (water and snow), hiking, camping, etc. are all phenomenal in the area and the scenery is just about the best you could possibly imagine with mountain backdrops and the insane greenery.

The people in general are significantly more friendly than most areas. There is plenty of nightlife activities if that's what you're looking for. The single things that are close are mostly in Anacortes or Oak Harbor (much more military feeling), or further away in Seattle. As far as Seattle being full of "hippies and rain" well you're sort of right but not really. It rains enough and it frustrates some people but that's why the place is so gorgeous. As far as hippies go, it's better than most places, and if you hate hippies you are unlikely to go to the parts of Seattle that they are in.

I aboslutely loved being stationed there and hope I can get back again.

If you are an outdoor enthusiast, have children, or want to be in an area where people are generally pretty awesome to each other, you basically can't pick a better duty station.

Seattle isn't 2.5-3 hours away... it's an hour and a half if you go the speed limit the entire way and go from the center of Oak Harbor to the center of Seattle. Most likely if you're single you'll live in Anacortes not Oak Harbor which cuts another 20 minutes off that drive. We had a few JOs all pitch in and rent an apartment in Seattle while I was stationed there, and we crashed there when in town for the weekend.

You could alternatively go south on Whidbey and take the ferry across and it could take you 2.5-3 hours but I'm not sure why you'd do that other than a few times for the ride and enjoyment of it.

The vast majority of people who have ever been stationed at Whidbey absolutely love it.

The very few who didn't are a vocal minority. Even more vocal are people who have decided they don't like it without having every been there, or having visited for a weekend or a week and had unluckily bad weather.

As with anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, the weather can be rotten in the winter/fall/spring but amazing in the summer/fall/spring.

Even in the winter it won't freeze much on the island, but will on the mainland a little more. Typically we are talking 2 days of snow all year and maybe 2 weeks total of freezing or below weather, ususually less.

Snowboarding, skiing (water and snow), hiking, camping, etc. are all phenomenal in the area and the scenery is just about the best you could possibly imagine with mountain backdrops and the insane greenery.

The people in general are significantly more friendly than most areas. There is plenty of nightlife activities if that's what you're looking for. The single things that are close are mostly in Anacortes or Oak Harbor (much more military feeling), or further away in Seattle. As far as Seattle being full of "hippies and rain" well you're sort of right but not really. It rains enough and it frustrates some people but that's why the place is so gorgeous. As far as hippies go, it's better than most places, and if you hate hippies you are unlikely to go to the parts of Seattle that they are in.

I aboslutely loved being stationed there and hope I can get back again.

If you are an outdoor enthusiast, have children, or want to be in an area where people are generally pretty awesome to each other, you basically can't pick a better duty station.

Thanks very much for your detailed response. If you don't mind, I'd definitely like to PM you next Spring if I get the opportunity for a billet there.

Glycerine, yeah maybe your right 1.5 hours. Been awhile since I've done it. Either way, easy access. Sometimes with traffic coming into Seattle will take longer, depending upon when you go.

I would highly recommend the Clinton-Mukilteo Ferry to Seattle. It is a gorgeous drive down Whidbey. There is another Ferry off Whidbey, Coupeville to Pt Townsend which is also very nice. You could get to Seattle that way as well, driving to Bremerton or Bainbridge Island and taking a Ferry to Seattle. That would truly be the "scenic" route.

Glycerine, yeah maybe your right 1.5 hours. Been awhile since I've done it. Either way, easy access. Sometimes with traffic coming into Seattle will take longer, depending upon when you go.
Very true. In traffic it could be 3+ hours. Don't go during rush hour ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generally that is good advice! Seattle rush "hour" getting worse and worse. I drive it almost every day. Bain of my existence