Question for USAFDoc and Island Doc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys have described some writings you submitted. USAFDoc, you described a 15 page document outlining your recommendations for the USAF. Island Doc you stated you wrote a letter to a journal confronting the military about graduate medical education. Can you please post these here? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I happened to have read it and know this doc. I can verify he did submit this document and took a load of heat for it... He essentially took the many daily examples of the "wrongs" seen in every day primary care (while at his USAF location) and posed some difficult questions towards the higher ups in command... BTW, it took some "balls" to actually do this and likely he made things more difficult on himself for it...

For those of you who complain and don't speak up, this guy was not one of them and he did it to try and make change... but, as many of you know, the wheels of change turn very, very, slowly in any group as large as the AFMS.

I know personally he was a good doc and very well liked by patients, but as you can tell, he didn't really sit back and keep taking it day after day and eventually he decided to get out.. I'm glad he's doing well and for those of you who have never been in primary care (you'll never know what he or anyother FP/PA in USAF clinic has been thru).

My two cents

Members don't see this ad :)
IgD said:
You guys have described some writings you submitted. USAFDoc, you described a 15 page document outlining your recommendations for the USAF. Island Doc you stated you wrote a letter to a journal confronting the military about graduate medical education. Can you please post these here? Thanks.

OK, want to see something that I wrote? Go to: www.usmedicine.com
Look up the February 2001 issue. Find the Letter to the Editor entitled, "Military Physicians Leave for a Plethora of Reasons". That is one of the things I wrote. Hope this satisfies your curiosity. :p

By the way, I too have read USAFDoc's Document. It is right on target.

IgD said:

I'll try and get my memo on this site. That having been said, I doubt that there is ANYTHING that will convince some of the people on this site that there are UNACCEPTABLE things going on in military medicine. It is kinda like the OJ trial, and some people will just choose to believe what they want to believe, NO MATTER WHAT THE EVIDENCE, even if the GLOVE FITS.

Island Doc, can you post your letter to the AF times? I think found the reference but it would save some hassle if you posted it.

Bump. Strip your identity and remove the names of others. What I'm interested in is the content.

IgD said:
Bump. Strip your identity and remove the names of others. What I'm interested in is the content.

Much as I occasionally think that USAFdoc goes overboard in negativity, I have to stand up for his right not to do this. Any of us could go into the archives of the AFTimes, find that letter, and find out his name, rank, etc.

You two are never going to see eye-to-eye based on posts; I don't know why an old letter to a newspaper would stop the endless squabbling.

-Pemberley

USAFDoc's 15 page document isn't in the AFTimes. It's Island Doc's letter that is located there.

IgD said:

Yeah, right.

IgD said:

Dude, just give it up. You're just irritating. You are pro Military medicine. Others (yes, plural) are against it. Fine, I freakin' get it. Let it go, move on. We know what you think.