Which residency should I do,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ffpickle

Thread Killer
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For each of the following interests I have (they're in order according to my level of interest):

1) pharmacoepidemiology, public health pharmacy
Residency = ?

2) pharmaceutical policy
Residency = ?

3) bioterrorism, disaster preparedness, stockpiles, supply,
Residency = ?

4) pharmacoeconomics
Residency = ?

Members don't see this ad.

For your interests, fellowship would be more appropriate than residency. Residency is to prepare a pharmacist to be a clinical practitioner. Your interests lay along research. This database might be useful to look into:
http://www.accp.com/resandfel/directorynon.php

Good luck.

Instead of a fellowship, you could do a dual-degree combo of PharmD/MPH if your school has that. The MPH covers a lot of the interests you listed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. I don't think I will do the dual-degree, maybe pick up the other degree after some years of community or hospital experience (I also plan on doing the MBA one day). I appreciate the fellowship link. Nothing for pharmacoepid, but I came across some great ones for Pharmacoecon and community Pharm.

For your interests, fellowship would be more appropriate than residency. Residency is to prepare a pharmacist to be a clinical practitioner. Your interests lay along research. This database might be useful to look into:
http://www.accp.com/resandfel/directorynon.php

Good luck.

don't you need a a residency to do a fellowship?

i'm not interested in research, moreso in clinical pharmacy, but i would like to collaborate with researchers in the future.

don't you need a a residency to do a fellowship?

i'm not interested in research, moreso in clinical pharmacy, but i would like to collaborate with researchers in the future.

It depends what fellowship you want to do. For pharmacoeconomics, I doubt that you would need previous residency experience. It might be helpful but I do not think it would really contribute much to the fellowship. All of the interests you listed are more geared towards research. Clinical pharmacists in the hospital hardly ever deal deal with epidemiology unless they are doing research. As clinical pharmacist your primary responsibility is to take care of the sick patients and their pharmacotherapy.

It depends what fellowship you want to do. For pharmacoeconomics, I doubt that you would need previous residency experience. It might be helpful but I do not think it would really contribute much to the fellowship. All of the interests you listed are more geared towards research. Clinical pharmacists in the hospital hardly ever deal deal with epidemiology unless they are doing research. As clinical pharmacist your primary responsibility is to take care of the sick patients and their pharmacotherapy.

is it possible to do both? just asking since I know MD's do both.

FYI: I am applying to Pharm school for 2009. I wonder if they will look down on my stated interests and tell me to go get a Phd instead?

My #1 goal is to still counsel patients. I just wanted to satisfy my desire for some of these subjects and was hoping there would be some way to incorporate those interests into the role of a clinical pharmacist.

is it possible to do both? just asking since I know MD's do both.

good luck finding time to do both. Most places don't staff/give you a workload that would allow you to get much (if any) research done in your 40 hours per week. And they usually limit overtime. I know several very motivated people who work on special projects on their own time. I don't know very many people who are interested in doing that.

good luck finding time to do both. Most places don't staff/give you a workload that would allow you to get much (if any) research done in your 40 hours per week. And they usually limit overtime. I know several very motivated people who work on special projects on their own time. I don't know very many people who are interested in doing that.

so it's retail, academic, or hospital but absolutely no combination of these? i'm not disputing what is being said, simply curious, as much of interest in pharmacy is predicated on the future ability to pursue multiple interests.

oh well, i guess i will forgo those researc interests..thanks

so it's retail, academic, or hospital but absolutely no combination of these? i'm not disputing what is being said, simply curious, as much of interest in pharmacy is predicated on the future ability to pursue multiple interests.

oh well, i guess i will forgo those researc interests..thanks

I know a few individuals who have "higher up" clinical positions at academic institutions that "just" round in the AM and then have afternoons to do research, coordinate committees, etc. It's just not an easy position to come by and you have to be very good and work for it.

A few of my clinical professors (who see patients in their clinics, and on rounds, but don't work for the hospital per se) do their research and academic work, and then pick up a shift or two prn at the hospital to keep a foot in the door as far as what's going on in the "real world" (as opposed to academia). But sadly, not all of them choose this option...

You may have ridiculously fantastic time management skills. But it's quite a task you're looking at undertaking.

I know a few individuals who have "higher up" clinical positions at academic institutions that "just" round in the AM and then have afternoons to do research, coordinate committees, etc. It's just not an easy position to come by and you have to be very good and work for it.

A few of my clinical professors (who see patients in their clinics, and on rounds, but don't work for the hospital per se) do their research and academic work, and then pick up a shift or two prn at the hospital to keep a foot in the door as far as what's going on in the "real world" (as opposed to academia). But sadly, not all of them choose this option...

You may have ridiculously fantastic time management skills. But it's quite a task you're looking at undertaking.

I see. Thanks njac, I appreciate the help. What you relayed seems very reasonable.

Obviously if you are interested in Infect. Dis. then those interests are easy to incorporate, but I wonder if there are more pragmatic ways to incorporate my interests into a hospital, retail, or other community setting?

I see. Thanks njac, I appreciate the help. What you relayed seems very reasonable.

Obviously if you are interested in Infect. Dis. then those interests are easy to incorporate, but I wonder if there are more pragmatic ways to incorporate my interests into a hospital, retail, or other community setting?

Some of the management-based residencies might be good to look at. One way to combine epidemiology and pharmacoeconomics and clinical work would be to work towards being a clinical director or director of operations in a hospital pharmacy. neither of those jobs (usually, depends obviously) involves any staffing, but rather overseeing all that goes on in the department and coordinating programs between other departments.

Again, most of these things require work experience first. You (should) have to prove yourself as a worker bee before you get to boss around the worker bees. Sometimes it doesn't work that way, but IME, managers/directors with more handson experience don't have such unrealistic goals for the minions.

Some of the management-based residencies might be good to look at. One way to combine epidemiology and pharmacoeconomics and clinical work would be to work towards being a clinical director or director of operations in a hospital pharmacy. neither of those jobs (usually, depends obviously) involves any staffing, but rather overseeing all that goes on in the department and coordinating programs between other departments.

Again, most of these things require work experience first. You (should) have to prove yourself as a worker bee before you get to boss around the worker bees. Sometimes it doesn't work that way, but IME, managers/directors with more handson experience don't have such unrealistic goals for the minions.

Ohio State has a 2 year Pharmacy administration residency with a masters degree program. Finish that and you'll be the one hiring the ID pharmacists...

But, knowing the ins and outs of staffing is vital in becoming an effective DOP and/or clinical manager.

Ohio State has a 2 year Pharmacy administration residency with a masters degree program. Finish that and you'll be the one hiring the ID pharmacists...

But, knowing the ins and outs of staffing is vital in becoming an effective DOP and/or clinical manager.

so does somewhere in salt lake. a friend just went up there. I believe there are several 2-year admin programs.

Will MBA help instead of residencies/ fellowships for administrative positions ( DOP, manager, etc)? Thanks.

Will MBA help instead of residencies/ fellowships for administrative positions ( DOP, manager, etc)? Thanks.

MBA might get you in the door. But administrative residency will provide more hands on experience of pharmacy administration. With an MBA, once you're in the door, you'll have to learn all the stuff.

That being said, I recommend MBA or MHA if you're interested in healthcare administration since this will give you a broader perspective compared to 2 year administration residency.

right, a family member has a MHA and BSN and is the CEO of a hospital.

The MHA and working your way up the chain can take you far. Hence my views on administration needing experience as a "grunt". This person's staff loves them. There was a petition to bring this person back to this hospital. Because there is integrity to nursing policy at the hospital. When the hospital was crowded or staffing was low (flu season) I've seen this person put on a pair of scrubs and go work a nursing shift in a bind. (I think they were CNO at that point but still).

I think it's incredibly important for administration to know what it's like to actually work in a patient care capacity.

Last edited:
right, a family member has a MHA and BSN and is the CEO of a hospital.

The MHA and working your way up the chain can take you far.

When all else fails, I may take that route...

MBA might get you in the door. But administrative residency will provide more hands on experience of pharmacy administration. With an MBA, once you're in the door, you'll have to learn all the stuff.

That being said, I recommend MBA or MHA if you're interested in healthcare administration since this will give you a broader perspective compared to 2 year administration residency.
That's what made the most sense to me when I was researching pharmacy administration. It's like the administration residency was a pigeonhole process. I would imagine that it would be difficult to extrapolate those experiences directly in another hospital pharmacy.